Redwall

Discussion of Castle Themed stories
Shadow
Squire

Redwall

Post by Shadow »

Ok... A lot of guys have been posting in my thread about a poem I wrote about a battle. I guess it was my fault to introduce Redwalll in a different thread. So here it is. Talk about Redwall all you like!
Lord Nev
Reeve

Post by Lord Nev »

Where to begin. I have all the books. I've read all the books and love almost every one of them! One thing that bothers me about ol' Brian writing is that he makes all the pitiful people die. Like Dingeye and Thura, they were funny and pitiful and Jaques made them die! And also Jeefra in High Rhulain, he is pitiful and saddens the heart to see him being oppressed.

SPOILER WARNING
do not read if u hav not read the book

but, he dies!!!!
Another thing is the scale. How tall are the badgers compared to the mice? In real life, badgers are humongous.
The otters I like, but the squirells are still my favorite race. They're so cool! Swinging thru the trees and archering vermin as well as stoning them and just being awesome. My absolute fav enemy in Fherago the Asassin. My favorite badger is Boar the Fighter. My favorite mouse is Gonff. Oh man he is hilarious!
That's all I'll post for now. There's gonna be alot more to come! I knew I loved this site.
Beware the day my soul is unleashed. Not even Megablocks itself will rival its fire!
Rosh.Gonff
Apprentice

Post by Rosh.Gonff »

Yes it really makes me sad too when poor dumb harmless vermin die. i mean they may be out to get redwall but its not like some dumb horderat is really going to be able to do any damage at all.

What i would really like to happen in one would be for the main hero of the story die acheiving their goal, it might be sad but would add so much more depth to the story. i mean which books stirs you most? for me it would definitivly have to be Martin the Warrior because of the death of 2 main charactors. I don't like it when unrealistic things happen to make main characters live just for the fact that they are main characters. One admirable thing that Jaques did was have Brinty die in high rhulain, no matter how much i would have loved to see him live (Because i could easily see him becoming the next "Matthias") it was more realistic that he died from that blow instead of making a miraculous recovery.

Best villian is definitivly Cluny, he's got it all: Cruelty, Great desire to conquer Redwall, best schemes ever! But despite him being the best i still like Feragho the Assasin better, him and klitch make the book what it is.
I dont quite know if i have a favorite species, i mainly like the admirable heros such as Matthias and Martin and Samkim. I i didnt like the other heros so much because most of them are so so young and it sort of annoys me. Dannflor is about the same age as Samkim but i see a distinct lack of character and warrior like ability. Also i dislike heros that are sort of the "Perfect package". By this i mean someone like Tagg. He just has everything he needs: Strength, speed, agility, skill with weapons, ability to survive on his own. And that sort of thing seriously hinders making there are challange for good to win.

My favorite books are: Salamandastron, Lord Brocktree, and Mossflower. i like those 3 all about the same. I liked Lord Brocktree for the diversity of Characters. Dotti was great because she didnt come from Salamandastron and (though) she did have a bit of the attitude of most hares from there, she wasnt the same and that made it intereasting. Bucko Bigbones also, i'm just biased for him because of my love of the scottish accent but i must say i think the funnest chapters for me to read in any book are the challange of bucko and dotti.
Mossflower is good too because i like Pre Redwall books, Redwall annoys me as dumb as it sounds. thats why my favorite books either are before the building of redwall or there is very little action at redwall. What would be really awesome in my opionion would be if the hero did not leave redwall and he actually became champion of redwall not be leaving home and fighting someone elses war, but by staying home and defending redwall in the manner matthias did.

Gonff is the best! there is no disputing it :D
Gonff Prince of Mousethieves

You say you will fight to the last man. I have more last men then you
Lord Nev
Reeve

Post by Lord Nev »

AAAAAARRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!! I haven't finshed High Rhulain yet!!! PUT A SPOILER WARNING ON IT NEXT TIME!

I feel ya'. I wish there wouldn't be so much travelling. It'd be nice if Jaques siddenly made the war closer to home. There has to be an epitomy of a hero in literature somewhere. Well the thing about Dannflor is that he overcame his youngness to be a warrior. What do you expect a warrior to be? After all, he can't have like Methuselah go on a journey and kill tons of vermin.

The Long Patrol is awesome!
Beware the day my soul is unleashed. Not even Megablocks itself will rival its fire!
Lord Nev
Reeve

Post by Lord Nev »

[quote=but i must say i think the funnest chapters for me to read in any book are the challange of bucko and dotti.
[/quote]

Um, don't you mean Ferdimond?
Rosh.Gonff
Apprentice

Post by Rosh.Gonff »

No i dont mean Ferdimond.
Ferdimond and Doogy Plum was in Racketty Tam
the challange that i am referring to was in Lord Brocktree with the eating, boasting, and fighting challanges.

well i dont really think he ever overcame his youngness. I just dont think he was cut out to be a warrior, all the other warriors in the books had it from birth, he was just a bit of a whimp

JoshWedin
Chevalier de Chèvre

Post by JoshWedin »

I don't have anything really brilliant to say about Redwall, but I am a fan. I've been reading Redwall since 1988. And this summer I got to meet Brian Jacques! He came to my area for a book signing and was hilarious. I think I am going to have build a fig of him. :) And we definitely need more Redwall MOCs. You know that sand red color would be great for Redwall itself...

Josh
AFOL and his money are easily parted.

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/ak_brickster/8 ... hotostream][img]http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8252/85336074 ... 2a10_t.jpg[/img][/url] [url=http://www.Brothers-Brick.com]The Brothers Brick[/url]
Shadow
Squire

Post by Shadow »

I'm an avid Redwall fan, yet I've tired myself out. I look at the books as a great indulgence read aside from serious books like 1776, which I just read. I haven't picked one up in a while, yet I liked them in that time period. ;)
Lord Nev
Reeve

Post by Lord Nev »

JoshWedin wrote: I think I am going to have build a fig of him. :) Josh
Oh, that's just ingenious!
Shadow
Squire

Post by Shadow »

As you have met Jacques, I got a chance to meet Priscilla Tolkein, J.R.R.'s daughter, and talk with her for about an hour. If someone were to make a fig out of her, you would use a hobbit as an example as she is short and seems to be of the hobbit type. :)
Rosh.Gonff
Apprentice

Post by Rosh.Gonff »

The problem is that all redwall things are of quite grand scale. Such as Salamandastron and Redwall are HUGE. but action scenes from the books would be pretty easy i think. Such as martin the gonff and dinny vaulting the ditch or russa nordrey and tammo at the waterfall or somthing of the sort.

Lord Nev
Reeve

Post by Lord Nev »

We should petition someone to make a Redwall movies(s). They're making all these movies off of books so Redwall shouldn't be too hard right? :D
Shadow
Squire

Post by Shadow »

Yes, a redwall movie would be great. I'm thinking more on the large scale with 3D animals, like the beavers in Narnia. Although the CG would be hard, I would certainly go see the movie. :wink:
Azaghal
Landlord

Post by Azaghal »

I think it would probably end up being a totally CG movie, like The Incredibles or Polar Express or something like that, although I imagine that the technology has advanced to the point that it would look as good as the Talking Beasts in Narnia. I'd go see it too. :wink:
Sir Kohran
Sheriff

Post by Sir Kohran »

Well, I don't particularly want a Redwall movie. I remember that animated series from a few years back. It was good, in its way, but the problem was the effect it had on Redwall. In many people's views who hadn't read the books, it went from being a book series for 'young people', to a cartoon for 'children'.

Even so, I still enjoyed the series. At times, I felt it was a bit diluted, and lacked the gritiness of the fighting, or the scale of the adventures, and perhaps the 'mature' vibe I got from the books. But I also felt that it got the warm, historical feel of Redwall spot on, and the British accents were done pretty much straight from the book, which I (as a British person :wink: ) was pleased about. And the music was good too. I still find myself humming the Celtic-style theme tune occasionally.

That said, if there was to be a movie, I would still go and see it, just to see how they'd do it. I saw The Chronicles of Narnia earlier today, and I was blown away by the quality of it. If such a prominent book can become such a good film, I'm sure Redwall would work.

- Matt