A new Chronicle of Ikros

Discussion of Castle Themed stories
SavaTheAggie
Lord Sava of Aggie

A new Chronicle of Ikros

Post by SavaTheAggie »

I have been sitting on a short story for over three years now. Back in July, 2003, Admin Lenny sent me an astounding little bit of storytelling, and for three years I've known about it, used it, reread it, but never shared it.

Why have I sat on it for three years? Lenny had wanted to illustrate it first, but we both got too busy, and it never materialized.

Well I've finally had enough of that; I have to share it. It's simply too good not to.

What is it?

Back when I announced the Chaos Skies sequel, Lenny read what I had on the rather barren Chaos Skies website. Upon reading the bio for the character 'Garadaine,' Lenny decided his background was simply too intriquing to not have a story about it.

And so he wrote what has become the offical Prologue to Chaos Skies. While I didn't write it, and I take no credit for it, I consider it Ikros canon.

The story takes place ~20 years before Chapter 1 of Chaos Skies, and puts into motion plot elements and some themes you may recognize that are very heavily in the main story. This is partially my guidance, partially independant but similar thought processes, and partially me stealing some of Lenny's ideas.

So I am very pleased, honored, and flattered, to present to the world Leonard Hoffman's The Sorrow of Garadaine

--Anthony

P.S. Illustrating it is still on the table.
[url=http://www.ikros.net][img]http://www.ikros.net/links/ikrosbuttonsmall.jpg[/img][/url]

Give a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
Sir Kohran
Sheriff

Post by Sir Kohran »

Wow! I haven't finished it yet, but so far, it's great. Brilliant storytelling by Lenny. The feel of travelling through the woods, and the subtle tension evident was spot on. It's also nice to see something new from Ikros.

Being my picky self, I did notice a grammar error here (needs a full stop):
"He'll live" Tsuk said.
Looking forward to any forth-coming illustrations...

- Matt
ZIGGY!
Squire

Post by ZIGGY! »

It's all just fine and dandy butwe're still waiting for Chapter 10!!!But it is really good. :)
I've been let back on, zip-adee-doo-dah!
smcginnis
Justiciar

Post by smcginnis »

This is really cool. I've just started to read Ikros for the second time, and I'm glad there's more to it now. One thing that annoyed me, though, was certain lines had only one word in them, for example:
...the stretch of the journey, taking them close to the borders of Ikros, and therefore into danger. Sir Tsuk knew
the
dangers well.
There had been reports of orcish activity along the border, although several leagues to the north...
I don't know if this is just a problem with my browser, or if it really does need to be fixed.

~smcginnis
Learning French.

Say it "ESS-MICK-GIN-ISS", with a hard "G", as in "get".

I'm a Pumpkin.

[url=http://www.freerice.com/]Free Rice[/url]
SavaTheAggie
Lord Sava of Aggie

Post by SavaTheAggie »

smcginnis wrote:This is really cool. I've just started to read Ikros for the second time, and I'm glad there's more to it now. One thing that annoyed me, though, was certain lines had only one word in them, for example:
...the stretch of the journey, taking them close to the borders of Ikros, and therefore into danger. Sir Tsuk knew
the
dangers well.
There had been reports of orcish activity along the border, although several leagues to the north...
I don't know if this is just a problem with my browser, or if it really does need to be fixed.

~smcginnis
Bad coding on my part. I tried to cheat and used a HTML builder, and it ended up screwing up the formatting. I thought I'd fixed it, but obviously not. I'll fix it (for real, this time) when I get home tonight.

--Anthony
[url=http://www.ikros.net][img]http://www.ikros.net/links/ikrosbuttonsmall.jpg[/img][/url]

Give a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
smcginnis
Justiciar

Post by smcginnis »

Okay, cool. I just finished reading The Immortal War, for the second time, today.* I read half of the prologue yesterday, and everything else today :shock:. I guess I just really have a lot of time on my hands... :roll:.

~smcginnis

*Just to make it clear, this is the second time I've read Ikros, ever, I haven't read it twice today.
Learning French.

Say it "ESS-MICK-GIN-ISS", with a hard "G", as in "get".

I'm a Pumpkin.

[url=http://www.freerice.com/]Free Rice[/url]
The_Fright_Knight
Laborer

Post by The_Fright_Knight »

That is so cool!
"Nasty, disturbing, uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner!"
-Bilbo Baggins
ragnarok
Bailiff

Post by ragnarok »

Ikros was the first LEGO-fan site I read back in 2000 if I am not mistaken. I remember spending almost an entire night reading the story and character bios and was amased that there are people who actually seem to love LEGO Castle more than I do :)
Eversince I've been following Ikros and the development of the story and I strongly suggest that may be you should think about a book on Ikros - perhaps a collection of stories (like Ursula LeGwin's "Legends Of Earthsea") because it has already captured the hearts of LEGO-addicts.
Prince Imdol
Master

Post by Prince Imdol »

The porblem with Irkos is that its way too long. Its gets kinda boring to read. BUt its still a great storyline!
Thomas C.
"Sow a thought, reap an action;
Sow an action, reap a habit.
Sow a habit, reap a character.
Sow a character, reap a destiny"

"Don't let school interfere with your education."-Huckleberry Finn
Maedhros
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Maedhros »

Prince Imdol wrote:The porblem with Irkos is that its way too long. Its gets kinda boring to read. BUt its still a great storyline!
Patience, my young friend, it´s all about patience :wink:

Kinda old thread btw but since I never commented I´ll take the opportunity to applaud Lenny for this nice short story.
"Hinc satis elucet maiorem habere uim ad discenda ista liberam curiositatem quam meticulosam necessitatem.”
- Augustinus Hipponensis
The Panther
Peasant

Post by The Panther »

An old thread, but what the heck. This is great. Now get of your bum and illustrate it!!!!!!! :)
Keep on Truckin'
kelderic
Knight Bannerett

Post by kelderic »

This is a very nice and has a well thought-out storyline.

Kelderic
Battling with college to try and prevent the dark age.
sarous
Foot Soldier

Post by sarous »

from what i read it's great do not give up[/u][/i][/b]
Riath Angel Sin, the soul reaping hexblade