Announcing the Classic-Castle Story Telling Contest

Discussion of Castle Themed stories
Glencaer
Marquis d'Krakhed

Post by Glencaer »

R_The_Falcon wrote:
Glencaer wrote:To be honest, I created the limits based off the total number of photos rather than the 'length' of a story. However, I'm not sure I totally agree with your appraisal. Comic stories and Short stories are two totally different mediums and comparisons between the two can be difficult. I would write a short story differently than how I would write a comic. Your example above assumes that each panel of a comic is equivalent to one sentence, which would be a very, very poor way of converting a story to a comic.
Comic Book Stories and Short Stories are totally different mediums. It would be impossible to write a short story the same as you would a comic. Well, maybe possible, but it'd be a very deplorable comic. No, when I said I was writing my story I ment something like this:

Frame 1: Rolan is busy mending a fence on his farm when someone calls for him. "Rolan, Rolan!"

Frame 2: Rolan sees that it's his friend John. Camera is situated behind Rolan. Rolan says, "What's the matter John?"
See, I can see those two frames being a single frame. Especially since not much plot is expanded between them. Keep in mind that the frame limit allows subpictures. For example, this frame from Capt Ahnee 2 is two photos but counts as only one frame. This framealso has two pictures and the plot is pushed forward in both images but they are combined into one frame.

So your two frames above can easily become a single frame (and even a bit more):

Frame 1 (exterior, Rolan is mending a fence while John runs up to him)
John: Rolan! Rolan!
Rolan: What is it John?
Subframe (John is now standing near Rolan)
John: It's Aunt May! She's calling for you!

Frame 2 (interior of Aunt May's home, Aunt May is in the bed while Rolan looks over her)
May: Oh Rolan, There is something I need to tell you!
etc

Hope that all makes sense. I'm glad to know that someone is doing the comic style, which, I must admit, is my preferred style. Anyways, I'm looking forward to seeing what everyone creates.

-Lenny
===
"The sound of laughter is like
the vaulted dome of
a temple of happiness. "
~-Milan Kundera-~
R_The_Falcon
Freeman

Post by R_The_Falcon »

Glencaer wrote:
R_The_Falcon wrote:
Glencaer wrote:To be honest, I created the limits based off the total number of photos rather than the 'length' of a story. However, I'm not sure I totally agree with your appraisal. Comic stories and Short stories are two totally different mediums and comparisons between the two can be difficult. I would write a short story differently than how I would write a comic. Your example above assumes that each panel of a comic is equivalent to one sentence, which would be a very, very poor way of converting a story to a comic.
Comic Book Stories and Short Stories are totally different mediums. It would be impossible to write a short story the same as you would a comic. Well, maybe possible, but it'd be a very deplorable comic. No, when I said I was writing my story I ment something like this:

Frame 1: Rolan is busy mending a fence on his farm when someone calls for him. "Rolan, Rolan!"

Frame 2: Rolan sees that it's his friend John. Camera is situated behind Rolan. Rolan says, "What's the matter John?"
See, I can see those two frames being a single frame. Especially since not much plot is expanded between them. Keep in mind that the frame limit allows subpictures. For example, this frame from Capt Ahnee 2 is two photos but counts as only one frame. This framealso has two pictures and the plot is pushed forward in both images but they are combined into one frame.

So your two frames above can easily become a single frame (and even a bit more):

Frame 1 (exterior, Rolan is mending a fence while John runs up to him)
John: Rolan! Rolan!
Rolan: What is it John?
Subframe (John is now standing near Rolan)
John: It's Aunt May! She's calling for you!

Frame 2 (interior of Aunt May's home, Aunt May is in the bed while Rolan looks over her)
May: Oh Rolan, There is something I need to tell you!
etc

Hope that all makes sense. I'm glad to know that someone is doing the comic style, which, I must admit, is my preferred style. Anyways, I'm looking forward to seeing what everyone creates.

-Lenny
This topic is for questions or comments concerning the Classic-Castle Story Contest. Therefore, I won't post a somewhat long response about comic book technique and what not. Instead, I'll just PM my response to Glencaer. I can PM the same response to anyone else interested or whoever might need some help concerning how a comic book story works.

Can't wait for all the entries,

R_The_Falcon
TheOrk
Master

Post by TheOrk »

I'll just like make an Earth shattering announcement here...

I won't be entering... :cry:

Out of all the contests, I would sooner enter this one then any other. It was because of stories that I got into LEGO in the first place and it's how I stumbled onto this site.

The reason I can't enter is simply because I didn't have the time. Summer vaction and some real life twists were the main problem. I was planning to get most of the work done by the end of July. But now I'm not even halfway done this close to the deadline.

So, I guess that's one less opponent to worry about... :wink:
Shurtugal
Bailiff
Location: On the Albertan Prairies, listening to some slow country music

Post by Shurtugal »

Well, hey. I still have to type out and illustrate mine, but I'm still going for it. This is definately better than just building something!
~Andrew C.

[url=http://www.mocpages.com/home.php]MOCpages![/url]

Eka ai fricai un Shur'tugal! I am a Rider and a friend!
R_The_Falcon
Freeman

Post by R_The_Falcon »

Is it just me, or did the date change again? I think it was originally August 28th, but it was set back a month due to people needing more time, and now it's the 25th of September. Nothing really that important, but those 3 days could be really important for some people. I know I could always use more time. :wink:

Also, my comic-book story has 14 sub-frames, most of which only take up 1/3 of the overall picture. Is this too many?

EDITED:

After looking over my schedule, it looks like I won't have time to finish my comic-book story. I know, it's pretty looserish. I actually drew out what all the frames should be, but I don't have time to finish all the mocs, take pics, and add in the dialogue. All well, I'll hopefully enter the writing portion of the contest.

Besides, it looks like no one is entering the comic-book part, which would make me a default winner, and there's not much honor in that. :wink:
Glencaer
Marquis d'Krakhed

Post by Glencaer »

R_The_Falcon wrote:After looking over my schedule, it looks like I won't have time to finish my comic-book story.
Unfortunately, I haven't recieved any entries. I hope that this contest doesn't just peter out with no involvement.

Remember everyone: there is no minimum length!!

-Lenny
===
the vaulted dome of
a temple of happiness. "
~-Milan Kundera-~
Athos
Councilor of the Realm

Post by Athos »

If it does, maybe you could award the extra prize to the runner up in the regular story contest...

Though I think Lamanda2 is planning an entry...

Steve
[url=http://www.johnny-thunder.blogspot.com/]Travel with Johnny Thunder![/url]
R_The_Falcon
Freeman

Post by R_The_Falcon »

Glencaer wrote:
R_The_Falcon wrote:After looking over my schedule, it looks like I won't have time to finish my comic-book story.
Unfortunately, I haven't recieved any entries. I hope that this contest doesn't just peter out with no involvement.

Remember everyone: there is no minimum length!!

-Lenny
See, that is one of my problems. I could enter my incomplete comic-book, but it'd win by default, and that just isn't right. I'd rather make mine into a story, (which is what I'm trying to do now) and have competition that way. Perhaps the Viking set can be used as a 3rd place prize, as Athos suggested.
Lamanda2
Merchant

Post by Lamanda2 »

Ok, I have a couple questions regarding my comic(s)..

Are we allowed to do a comic that can be continued, like say a comic-line, or do you prefer a whole comic story with a begining and end?

What would you say is a good average length for a comic entree?

I have my comic (Comics if I happen to have enough time.) pretty much written out and am just putting it together, but I just wondered if you could give me a preferance of a good length.

Thank you.
~Amanda
[url=http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=Lamanda]Bricks & Customs[/url]
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/lamanda2/]My Flickr[/url]
Glencaer
Marquis d'Krakhed

Post by Glencaer »

Lamanda2 wrote:Ok, I have a couple questions regarding my comic(s)..

Are we allowed to do a comic that can be continued, like say a comic-line, or do you prefer a whole comic story with a begining and end?

I have my comic (Comics if I happen to have enough time.) pretty much written out and am just putting it together, but I just wondered if you could give me a preferance of a good length.
The initian contest announcement is pretty clear about the plot: your entry needs to have a beginning and an end.

As for length, there is no preference at all. A complete story is all that we are asking for, shorter than the maximum length.

-Lenny
===
the vaulted dome of
a temple of happiness. "
~-Milan Kundera-~
R_The_Falcon
Freeman

Post by R_The_Falcon »

Lamanda2 wrote:Ok, I have a couple questions regarding my comic(s)..

Thank you.
~Amanda
If you're going to enter, I might enter. It's a 10% chance, considering I might a have a change in schedule that would allow me to get enough time in to finish my comic book. I didn't want to enter it originally because I thought no one else would enter the category.

This brings me to the deadline. When you say the deadline is September 25th, does that mean we can still enter stories on the 25th, or that our last chance was the 24th. Stupid question, I know, but that extra day might be all I need. :wink:
Mike Viper
Archer
Location: At home practicing my singing, building, or hanging around with friends.

Post by Mike Viper »

I'm kinda wipping one together now, while I'm in the "season" for it, you'll have entries. Trust me. :wink:
I ow it to wunztwice for directing me here.
Glencaer
Marquis d'Krakhed

Post by Glencaer »

R_The_Falcon wrote:This brings me to the deadline. When you say the deadline is September 25th, does that mean we can still enter stories on the 25th, or that our last chance was the 24th. Stupid question, I know, but that extra day might be all I need. :wink:
All entries need to be emailed to me by 11:59pm Sept 25th. I'll check my email on Tuesday (9/26) to see how many have entered.

-Lenny
===
the vaulted dome of
a temple of happiness. "
~-Milan Kundera-~
Lamanda2
Merchant

Post by Lamanda2 »

Man, I currently have been working on my two story entees, one is nearly complete and the other is not doing as well.
As for the comic, it's coming ok.

But now I am unsure if i'll be able to get them finished, at least I am confident that at least one story will be done.

Thanks for specifying on the deadline Lenny.
[url=http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=Lamanda]Bricks & Customs[/url]
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/lamanda2/]My Flickr[/url]
Athos
Councilor of the Realm

Post by Athos »

Do you think we could get all the entries grouped in a central location? I'd like to check out the competition...

Steve
[url=http://www.johnny-thunder.blogspot.com/]Travel with Johnny Thunder![/url]