Announcing the Classic-Castle Story Telling Contest

Discussion of Castle Themed stories
TheOrk
Master

Re: Announcing the Classic-Castle Story Telling Contest

Post by TheOrk »

Maedhros wrote: Does this mean 20 pages of raw text + pictures or 20 pages including pics?
I think it means that the maximum length is 20 pages and 50 pictures, with something like 2 pictures per page.

I think.
Glencaer
Marquis d'Krakhed

Post by Glencaer »

smcginnis wrote:it would probably take me two years to write 20 pages, not two months.
You don't need to write 20 pages. That is the absolute maximum - I'd much rather people write less than that!

But if two months is not enough time, how about three months?
Does this mean 20 pages of raw text + pictures or 20 pages including pics?
Just Text. But like I said above, try to avoid skirting the maximum. Remember someone has to read this. ;)
should the ilustrations be strictly pictures of actual bricks or they can be drawings?
The same reason why you aren't allowed to submit drawings of LEGO models for the Colossal Contest - this is a LEGO contest, use as much LEGO as possible.

Now, having said that, I see fryslayer has started a little comic where his characters have a very simple drawn background. That is 100% ok! The rule is: characters must be LEGO, if the background is something they interact with, it should be LEGO as well.

1) Is the old "photoshop creates an army" trick allowed?
Photoshop effects are allowed, yes.
2) Are custom parts/flags/capes etc allowed?
3) Are clone brands elements (heresy! Twisted Evil ) allowed for story's sake?
4) Are non lego elements ( props, real life objects...) allowed?
Custom pieces (Lil Armory, RedBean, Decals, Anything you have made) are allowed. Clone brands and non-LEGO are generally not allowed.

If you have a cool idea that you think follows the spirit of this rule, but not the letter, contact me privately and we'll discuss it. For example, Nathan did a story for a while about a LEGO Knight traveling around his room. Something like this might be able to work, if we like the idea.
5) Any restrictions on the level of violence?
Normally, I'd say no. But I don't want to see any sexual violence, like rape, etc. Murder, maiming, blood, guts - I'm cool with as much of that you can dish out using LEGO pieces.
6) Date line is a bit tight for such short notice, any chance of further delaying a week or two?
I didn't think two months was short notice. But extending it another month would be no problem!
Question: does it have to be double-spaced or will the spacing in my prior stories be ok?
Your method is an excellent way to do an Illustrated story. Stories only need to be Double Spaced if you're making a word document and inserting the pictures into it. If you are doing something like Athos's method, that is perfectly fine with me!
Question: can we post installments on the boards or in our brickshelf galleries as we go? Or do we have to hold off until it is completed?
Installments are fine. Just email me when the entire story is completed and in one final location.
If our pics are a bit fuzzy, but the construction set is great, will we still lose marks?

The problem is that if your pictures are fuzzy, I won't be able to tell how good the construction is. But yes, presentation is part of the final evaluation.

There are many places where you can get help producing a clear photographic picture, and don't be afraid to ask for help in the Publishing area of our site. If you're still having problems, email me privately and I'll try to help as much as I can.
Does it matter what word program we use? Can we directly e-mail the stories to you? Is there a minimum lenght?
Nope, yep, and the minimum length is one word/one photo. Exactly how you convey a beginning, middle, and end with only a single word and image is up to you.
Sorry about so many questions, I would just like to know, and can we have our own settings, like in our own fantasy lands?
This is, in fact, strongly encouraged. Anything that starts with "my own" relates immeadiately to creativity! Be creative! Be creative! Strong points for creativity!

Excellent round of questions guys! I look forward to seeing what you are able to create!

-Lenny
===
"The sound of laughter is like
the vaulted dome of
a temple of happiness. "
~-Milan Kundera-~
Mike Viper
Archer
Location: At home practicing my singing, building, or hanging around with friends.

Post by Mike Viper »

I have but ONE more question...er...make that two, yeah.

I have but TWO more questions

1: When creating a pic per paragraph, can the pic be beside the paragraph insted of Athos way?
2: Does it matter what size font we use?

Oops, one more question:

Some of my paragraphs can get real small. Do you need pics for like 2-3 line paragraphs?

Thanks, Mike.
I ow it to wunztwice for directing me here.
babyjawa
Steward

Post by babyjawa »

I wish that I could enter. :cry: I take crappy pics, and I have no way to edit them to make a comic either. Oh, Well...
My life is based on a true story.
E of Alshire
Merchant

Post by E of Alshire »

So, three months, then?
More time to procrastinate!

I'm not downplaying the value of the extra month- in fact, I'll probably need it to complete my entry, if any.

I'm looking forward to seeing the entries!
Last edited by E of Alshire on Sat Jul 01, 2006 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fry_slayer
Steward

Post by Fry_slayer »

Glencaer wrote:I didn't think two months was short notice. But extending it another month would be no problem!
For some reason i was having the impression of having one month to work at it, my bad :oops:

It turned out to be 2 months which is really reasonable. Lets see if anyone else here who would like to enter but had a clash with events in life and needed the time extension, else i am fine with it, that is, if i decided my work is worthy to enter at the date line :wink:
[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=Fryslayer]Brickshelf[/url] | [url=http://brickgamers.blogspot.com/]BrickGamers[/url]
Sir Dillon
Man-At-Arms

Post by Sir Dillon »

Hey, this seems like a great contest idea! I have a few questions...

When you say you want a beginning, a middle, and an end of the story, does that mean you only want part of the story, or can we enter the whole thing if it fits in the twenty pages?

Also, you said that it can be twenty pages of just text, so does that mean the story can be around fifty pages including the pictures?

Thanks. :)
Lamanda2
Merchant

Post by Lamanda2 »

Wow, what a contest!
I have never really written anything before, but hey, i'll give it a go, it does sound really interesting after all :D

Let's just hope I can make some nice MOCs to display in the story, and hopefully I can figure out Photo-Shop a little better, to make a good battle scene..

This is really a great idea, I think I will really enjoy this, and who knows, I might just make more stories afterwards to post in the story forum. :)
[url=http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=Lamanda]Bricks & Customs[/url]
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/lamanda2/]My Flickr[/url]
Graynar
Gentleman

Post by Graynar »

Awesomeness! This should be fun!

Funny how the due date is the same day as my birthday though. :wink:
Morgan19
Artisan

Post by Morgan19 »

You may enter a maximum of two entries per category.
Just for clarification's sake, does that mean each person can theoretically enter four times-- two entries for each of the two categories?

m19
R_The_Falcon
Freeman

Post by R_The_Falcon »

I also have a few questions:

1. Does our story have to be good vs. evil, or can it man vs. man, man vs. fate, man vs. society, etc.?

2. I'll probably have some really long and really short paragraphs, and I'm sure others will have the same problem. So, can you give us a different limit such as 1 picture for every 10 sentences or something like that? I think that'd be easier to meet than just 1 picture per paragraph.

3. Are different scales allowed to be used? For instance, if I need a really big army or a huge castle, I'd just build it in mini-scale, or maybe I'd like a close-up of a special sword and it'd be well above minifig scale. Would this be allowed?

This is a great idea and I look forward to some great stories!
Lamanda2
Merchant

Post by Lamanda2 »

Hello,
I wrote alot of my story last night and today, maybe about 3-4 hours of writing, and today I made some MOCs and took some pictures, I then edited the pictures in Photo-Shop to make them look like drawings, I wasn't sure if this was allowed, (I hope it is, because these pics look wonderfull!) I know you said drawing is not allowed, and these did really start out as real MOCs :D .

Thank you.
[url=http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=Lamanda]Bricks & Customs[/url]
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/lamanda2/]My Flickr[/url]
brtsrlthwrld
Gong Farmer

backdrops

Post by brtsrlthwrld »

hello,

I was wondering if we need to have a backdrop, my models are sitting on a table in my garage, and i have no physical backdrop, and i have no idea how ot even start to digitaly add one, so is it important to have a backdrop, or is it ok to just have models and scenery

brtsrlthwrld
TheOrk
Master

Re: backdrops

Post by TheOrk »

brtsrlthwrld wrote:hello,

I was wondering if we need to have a backdrop, my models are sitting on a table in my garage, and i have no physical backdrop, and i have no idea how ot even start to digitaly add one, so is it important to have a backdrop, or is it ok to just have models and scenery

brtsrlthwrld
I think it's ok just to have models and scenery. BTW here is a good thing on how to make backdrops: http://www.ozbricks.com/andrastavia/03o ... xtra2.html

Today, I finished 1/3 of my 2nd draft and two of the major MOCS. 8)

EDIT: In that URL you have to gotto >The Village >Tips and Techniques
eNiGMa
Justiciar

Post by eNiGMa »

Okay, I know someone has asked about violence, but what about language? If one of our characters was to utter a profanity in the heat of a moment, what words wouldn't he be allowed to say in this contest?

hmm.... Since everyone else is saying how far they are, I'm just gonna say here that I just finished the outline for my first story. Lookin' good....
Nathan Cunningham
[url=http://sly-pig.blogspot.com]Blog[/url] | [url=https://www.facebook.com/nathan.cunningham.9]Facebook[/url] | [url=http://sly-pig.blogspot.com/p/blog-page.html]MOCs[/url]