The Main Character

Discussion of Castle Themed stories
Sir Kohran
Sheriff

The Main Character

Post by Sir Kohran »

I've been writing a lot over the years and yet I can never seem to write a decent, interesting main character for the plot to follow - they all come across as cliches; whether it's the reluctant hero, the naive hero, the anti-hero, the misunderstood hero...they all come across as flat and dull. How can I (and other writers in general) inject some life and interest into them?

- Matt
Glencaer
Marquis d'Krakhed

Re: The Main Character

Post by Glencaer »

Sir Kohran wrote:I've been writing a lot over the years and yet I can never seem to write a decent, interesting main character for the plot to follow - they all come across as cliches; whether it's the reluctant hero, the naive hero, the anti-hero, the misunderstood hero...they all come across as flat and dull. How can I (and other writers in general) inject some life and interest into them?

- Matt
Best advice I can give is to keep reading - characters like Shakespeare's Hamlet defy being cliched. The key is to make them as realistic and as complicated as possible. You do that by writing about your experience, about what you know.

That being said, sometimes a few cliches aint SO bad ;)

-Lenny
===
"The sound of laughter is like
the vaulted dome of
a temple of happiness. "
~-Milan Kundera-~
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Re: The Main Character

Post by Formendacil »

Glencaer wrote:That being said, sometimes a few cliches aint SO bad ;)
Agreed.

And sometimes a cliché can be a good starting point to a more fleshed out character. Take a stock, over-done character, and then start adding/changing things to make him unique.

Let's take your typical "super-warrior". You know the kind: big, strong, excellent fighting skills, lots of stamina, tough personality, possibly bearded.

Well, to make this basic "Sir Tough Hero" into something a bit more unique, a bit more special, we need to flesh him out, give him some details. One thing one can do is make him, despite his toughness, not really a big fan of fighting. He'll do it, and do it well, but he won't do it if not necessary. And you could maybe add a soft spot for kids. And maybe a little bit of a wild side when riled up.

Then you can flesh out his background. Nothing makes a character real so much as a background. Where does he come from? Is there a traumatic event in his past that he doesn't like to talk about? Who are his enemies?

And then....

Don't think too hard about it.

Just write the character, as best you know him, and see where things go. The character I've just described above is a sort of paraphrase of Sir Dractor. I didn't even know all that when I started. When I started, he was just a tough warrior type (a bit reckless) who happened to be a main character of mine. He certainly wasn't the very fully fleshed-out character he is now. Back then I couldn't have seen him vacationing in Drullen Bell, playing chess with Bjarn. I couldn't have seen him taking Luxus under his wing, or Thomas. I don't think I could have seen him surviving a hit from a catapult stone (I still don't know how it happened...).

Basically, what I'm trying to say is... get to know your character. Just let it flow, and see what quirks come up, or how he acts under the situations of the story. If you just go for what sounds good at the time, you may end up with a weird and/or awesome character.
Maedhros
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Maedhros »

I agree on many points with Formendacil here, some funny quirks and a good backstory really helps.

Also, if you want an interesting protagonist insanity can be a really powerful tool. A character hearing the voice of a "god" or a dead loved one which tells him what to do could become very interesting... Or just let him be extremely paranoid, hearing footsteps everywhere.....

I also really like depressed and sad characters, most often when they start as "normal" and then sort of fall when their loved ones die around them. A closely related character is the one who ends up hateful as the story unfolds (*cough*Anakin Skywalker*cough*). This might have to do with the fact that I´m a sucker for angsty stories though.... ;)
"Hinc satis elucet maiorem habere uim ad discenda ista liberam curiositatem quam meticulosam necessitatem.”
- Augustinus Hipponensis
Shurtugal
Bailiff
Location: On the Albertan Prairies, listening to some slow country music

Post by Shurtugal »

Yes, cliches aren't always bad. You just have to make them interesting. A slight difference in a stck character can make him/her much more interesting. eg, The Super Warrior who is afraid of the dark, a juggler with half the number of normal fingers....

Just my input. :D
~Andrew C.

[url=http://www.mocpages.com/home.php]MOCpages![/url]

Eka ai fricai un Shur'tugal! I am a Rider and a friend!
Remyth
Trade King
Location: At the corner of Nowhere Avenue and Not Close to Anything Street

Post by Remyth »

Maedhros wrote:I agree on many points with Formendacil here, some funny quirks and a good backstory really helps.

Also, if you want an interesting protagonist insanity can be a really powerful tool. A character hearing the voice of a "god" or a dead loved one which tells him what to do could become very interesting... Or just let him be extremely paranoid, hearing footsteps everywhere.....

I also really like depressed and sad characters, most often when they start as "normal" and then sort of fall when their loved ones die around them. A closely related character is the one who ends up hateful as the story unfolds (*cough*Anakin Skywalker*cough*). This might have to do with the fact that I´m a sucker for angsty stories though.... ;)
I would have to agree completely with this statement.
Remyth wrote:They were just about going to set up camp when the rear-guard, set there to watch for anything suspicious, report a sound like that of horse hooves. Theyrus, being the leader, immediately went back to listen for himself. All the sudden, a barrage of arrows flew past them. This was aimed at the group in front. Although only 5 arrows met their targets, it was enough to startle the living daylights out of them all. No creatures thus far had used to much as a stick. Then Theyrus heard it; the Silver-Hawks war horn. He knew that they were out-numbered and out-armed. He quickly leaped into the forest, motioning for the others to do the same.

At this time, a second wave of arrows came. Seven hit their targets this time. They were closer. The Uneben Stamm had only 11 people left. The sound of horse-hooves was heard again. Theyrus looked onto the road to see what was happening. Suddenly, he heard a cry from his left. He spun that way, seeing close to 50 horse-men charging at them. The cry had come from the Rear-guard. Theyrus easily swooped up into the saddle of a horse and knocked the guy down to the ground in one swift motion. His companions were not as talented, or as lucky. Three fell with the first charge. Only 8 left, thought Theyrus, angrily. The Silver Hawks turned around and began to charge again. This time, they seemed a little less organized. Theyrus took out 3 alone. The Silver-Hawks now had a force of 30 men. They Silver-Hawks charged again. They slew the 6 remaining men, and captured Schon, who was the only girl left alive. Theyrus was knocked from his captured horse before this, and fell heavily to the ground. The Silver-Hawks must of thought he was dead, for they went home after this.

When Theyrus awoke, he found that his friends had all been slain. Then he noticed that Schon was missing. Anger rolled through him like thunder in the mountains. He gave out a cry that startled beasts ten miles away. For about four or five hours, Theyrus sat around and cried to himself. That’s right, he cried, cried like nobody thought anyone could ever cry. When Theyrus finally got some of his former wit back, he preformed a quick service for his fallen friends. When this was completed, he started out to follow the now long-cold and well-hidden trail of the Silver-Hawks. He knew nothing else that he could do.
:wink:

In Christ,
Thomas Wunz <><

"A nameless, shapeless beast from the dark underside of Chat." - Josh Wedin

[url=http://flickr.com/photos/11381994@N00/]Flickr[/url]
Maedhros
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Maedhros »

I don´t know how often you visit CW nowadays, Sir Kohran, but it just struck me that you might find this thread interesting...
"Hinc satis elucet maiorem habere uim ad discenda ista liberam curiositatem quam meticulosam necessitatem.”
- Augustinus Hipponensis
The Green Knight
Reeve

Post by The Green Knight »

Hmmm good topic.... But you know you're missing some great cliches here. Like... The self-aware hero. He's a hero and he knows it. Seasoned and confident yet responsible. The bumbling hero. The guy who dresses up like spiderman and stops a bank robbery only to get mistaken for one of them and thrown in jail. The unappreciated hero. He saves the world and people still treat him like dirt.

Actually, I think my advice to anyone creating a main character would be to make sure that he's someone you enjoy writing. Someone you enjoy placing into new predicaments and new challenges. Someone you can laugh at, someone you can admire, someone you can relate to... Something like that...
Let us stop for a moment and ponder the signiture...

Ok, enough of that!