New Story Pitch

Discussion of Castle Themed stories
Spongey
Merchant

New Story Pitch

Post by Spongey »

I have begun planning for my big introduction into the LEGO world, which has an equal or greater chance of becoming my big flop. It is a large, epic story, (a la Ikros) that is fully illustrated with buildings and scenes. Realizing that I have not been an all out FOL for very long, I believe it wise to ask advice of the wiser members of this community.

My story will centre around a large, overpowering faction oppressing the land and wreaking havoc. (Think Shadow Knights, but cooler). They will eventually be battled by three different factions: a faction of the distant king, eager to rule the territory; the former rulers of the territory, who were just; and a forestmen styled group, seeking revenge over the death and destruction caused to their people and home.

I was also thinking of adding some Cold War applicability to the story, without overpowering it with allegorical/topical facets.

Just wondering what everyone thinks of this idea, any suggestions, comments, or criticism.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.
TheOrk
Master

Post by TheOrk »

Sounds great Spongey!

It's always great to see a new LEGO story pop up. It's half the reason I play with LEGO in the first place, that and the minifigs.

Not to hijack this thread or anything, but you can find some LEGO-Story related resources over at Castle World- http://z13.invisionfree.com/Castle_Worl ... cc4c64c59a&

:wink:
Maedhros
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Maedhros »

TheOrk wrote: Not to hijack this thread or anything, but you can find some LEGO-Story related resources over at Castle World- http://z13.invisionfree.com/Castle_Worl ... cc4c64c59a&

:wink:
http://s13.invisionfree.com/Castle_World is a bit shorter and works just as well ;)

Anyway, you have a nice concept there. But on to more practical issues. Have you ever written something like a LEGO story before? (A short story or something) It is a very daunting task and takes up a lot more time than you think.

And how are you planning to do the illustrations? Just photos or will there be a lot of photoshop effects and backgrounds? I recommend the later but again, it takes a LOT of time ;)

I don´t really know what kind of comments I can give you right now, more than being patient ;) Would be nice to see some snippet of writing though..
"Hinc satis elucet maiorem habere uim ad discenda ista liberam curiositatem quam meticulosam necessitatem.”
- Augustinus Hipponensis
Spongey
Merchant

Post by Spongey »

Thanks for your responses and advice.
Have you ever written something like a LEGO story before?
Nothing LEGO related, but I have written short stories with Medieval themes for school before, and I am not one to shy away from making it long.
And how are you planning to do the illustrations?
Probably a combination of both. As for timing, I'm not planning to finish this by any set date. It's more of an ongoing project I will keep working on for as long as it takes.
Would be nice to see some snippet of writing though..
I'll post some excerpts once the story takes off.
Maedhros
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Maedhros »

Spongey wrote:Probably a combination of both. As for timing, I'm not planning to finish this by any set date. It's more of an ongoing project I will keep working on for as long as it takes.
Ah, good. I remember around October 2005 I said that I would have published the first few chapters of my story around January, and then somewhere in February or so I said that I would publish it around Easter, and then I said that I would do it during the summer when I had more time... I will do it soon now though :lol:

BTW it just struck me how close your world is to mine when looking at your description. I have opressors in the form of Crusaders, invaders in the form of Black Falcons and your two last groups in a mix of Bulls, Wolfpack, Fright Knights, Royal Knights and "Vikings"...
"Hinc satis elucet maiorem habere uim ad discenda ista liberam curiositatem quam meticulosam necessitatem.”
- Augustinus Hipponensis