Classic-Castle.com


The source for all your LEGO Castle needs!

Heroes and Villains: Fellow AFOls Favorites

Discussion of Castle Themed stories

What should a good hero be?

Noble and chivalrous
14
25%
Brash and Young
3
5%
Dark and Tormented
12
21%
Aging but Hardy
5
9%
Strong and Determined
16
29%
Unforgiving and Cold
6
11%
 
Total votes : 56

Postby doctorsparkles » Sat Apr 24, 2004 7:31 pm

All of these are good options, but I chose 'strong and determined.' I'm kind of into anti-heroes (not villains, but not your classic hero either), so 'dark and tormented' and 'unforgiving and cold' work too.
User avatar
doctorsparkles
Landlord
 
Posts: 995
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 10:42 pm
Location: Medina, Ohio

Postby forester3291 » Sun Apr 25, 2004 8:36 pm

Barbapple wrote:Unforgiving and cold! If i didn't throw away my vote I would have voted for this. To many times have we seen:
"Oh look at me, I'm a hero! I will go smell daisys and let my foes live, because they lerned there lesson!"
I mean come on!


Yep yep yep. Cold and unforgiving. Ya have to show the guys some justice. If the guy reaches for his bow spear him in the gut.
Space rocks.
User avatar
forester3291
Merchant
 
Posts: 1397
Joined: Wed Apr 07, 2004 8:18 pm

Postby RuthleSs__PaLadin » Fri Apr 30, 2004 3:26 am

Barbapple wrote:Unforgiving and cold! If i didn't throw away my vote I would have voted for this. To many times have we seen:
"Oh look at me, I'm a hero! I will go smell daisys and let my foes live, because they lerned there lesson!"
I mean come on!



That is exactly right, I voted unforgiving and cold also. Hero's should be RuthleSs... :twisted:

Dan
User avatar
RuthleSs__PaLadin
Apprentice
 
Posts: 158
Joined: Mon Apr 19, 2004 5:30 am
Location: Las Vegas

Postby forester3291 » Fri Apr 30, 2004 4:37 am

RuthleSs__PaLadin wrote:
Barbapple wrote:Unforgiving and cold! If i didn't throw away my vote I would have voted for this. To many times have we seen:
"Oh look at me, I'm a hero! I will go smell daisys and let my foes live, because they lerned there lesson!"
I mean come on!






That is exactly right, I voted unforgiving and cold also. Hero's should be RuthleSs... :twisted:

Dan
exaclyhat's up twith the nobal and chivralous. Floweres are for gilrs. Not heroes. Though g irls can be heros :wink: . I just saw a comercial for a movie an actor said " Forgivness is between them and God. I'm just the one to arrange the meeting." Hehehehe. My dad loved that one. :twisted: So. more votes for unforgiing and cold. Down with the noble guys.

Sorry for any speling mistakes late at night and I'm tired :D
Space rocks.
User avatar
forester3291
Merchant
 
Posts: 1397
Joined: Wed Apr 07, 2004 8:18 pm

Postby Formendacil » Fri May 14, 2004 12:53 am

Aging, but hardy: those are my favourites, although they aren't really common. I like old heroes, whose glorious battle-days are over, and who should be retired, but are once again called on by destiny/kingdom/friends/etc to save the day. Of course, at one time they were obviously young and brash, and they may have some of the other characteristics, above and beyond age and strength. :wink:
Because everyone needs another LEGO blog to follow:
Grandfather's Tales
User avatar
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar
 
Posts: 4189
Joined: Wed May 05, 2004 7:22 pm
Location: Framingham, MA

Postby moom » Fri May 14, 2004 3:56 pm

Formendacil wrote:Aging, but hardy: those are my favourites, although they aren't really common. I like old heroes, whose glorious battle-days are over, and who should be retired, but are once again called on by destiny/kingdom/friends/etc to save the day.

A fellow Like Cohen the Barbarian from the well known 'Discworld' fantasy novel series written by Terry Pratchett. A picture of Cohen:
http://www.ie.lspace.org/ftp-lspace/images/bookcovers/uk/the-last-hero-1.jpg
moom
Freeman
 
Posts: 97
Joined: Sat Jan 31, 2004 9:33 pm
Location: The Netherlands

Postby Formendacil » Fri May 14, 2004 7:00 pm

Actually, that's a bit more aged than I was thinking, at least going by the pic. And a bit more naked: he looks really cold. :cry:
Because everyone needs another LEGO blog to follow:
Grandfather's Tales
User avatar
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar
 
Posts: 4189
Joined: Wed May 05, 2004 7:22 pm
Location: Framingham, MA

Postby Daimyo » Sun May 16, 2004 5:33 pm

moom wrote:
Formendacil wrote:Aging, but hardy: those are my favourites, although they aren't really common. I like old heroes, whose glorious battle-days are over, and who should be retired, but are once again called on by destiny/kingdom/friends/etc to save the day.

A fellow Like Cohen the Barbarian from the well known 'Discworld' fantasy novel series written by Terry Pratchett. A picture of Cohen:
http://www.ie.lspace.org/ftp-lspace/images/bookcovers/uk/the-last-hero-1.jpg


Ewwww.
"Alright Kif, let's show these freaks what a bloated, runaway military budget can do"
User avatar
Daimyo
Squire
 
Posts: 682
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2004 11:43 pm
Location: Paragould, Arkansas

Postby Robin Hood » Wed May 19, 2004 4:47 am

Personally I went for Strong and determained. I don't like wimps, and yet I don't like these high and mighty noble people.

MY favorite fig is a Dragom Master knight. He is (if I do say so myself) awsome.
I build, therefore I am.

Brave words coming from a guy called grapenuts.
User avatar
Robin Hood
Knight Templar
Knight Templar
 
Posts: 2084
Joined: Thu May 13, 2004 2:35 am
Location: An empty room.....somewhere.

Postby Dire Avenger » Mon Jul 26, 2004 3:04 pm

Strong and determined is my vote. I mean, tormented? Quite the hero. Cold and unforgiving? Hes just as likely to kill innocents as enemys! Brash and young get killed, old and hardy hardly adventure at all because they know better and Chivalrous people usually end up charging some dragon and getting eaten!

So yes, Strong and Determined is what i say makes the best hero.

-DA
Always remember....A toothpick in time saves nine. Only, what the heck does that mean?
User avatar
Dire Avenger
Villein
 
Posts: 31
Joined: Wed Jul 21, 2004 11:56 am

Postby Luís » Mon Jul 26, 2004 6:59 pm

forester3291 wrote:
RuthleSs__PaLadin wrote:
Barbapple wrote:Unforgiving and cold! If i didn't throw away my vote I would have voted for this. To many times have we seen:
"Oh look at me, I'm a hero! I will go smell daisys and let my foes live, because they lerned there lesson!"
I mean come on!

Well, noble and chivearlous can be much of that and still be it.
Dire Avenger wrote:Strong and determined is my vote. I mean, tormented? Quite the hero. Cold and unforgiving? Hes just as likely to kill innocents as enemys! Brash and young get killed, old and hardy hardly adventure at all because they know better and Chivalrous people usually end up charging some dragon and getting eaten!

So yes, Strong and Determined is what i say makes the best hero.

-DA

If you think that, your crazy.
Shelved bricks(???)
You know you're a good person when you see megablocks and have to do things you would rather not.
User avatar
Luís
Steward
 
Posts: 579
Joined: Sun Mar 07, 2004 9:51 am
Location: I don't even know anymore

Re: Heroes and Villains: Fellow AFOls Favorites

Postby footsteps » Mon Jul 26, 2004 8:28 pm

Daimyo wrote:We all have LEGO characters we make up, and we all have our favorites. What should a good charcater be? And who is your favorite sigfig?

Though I've voted based on your choices, I would suggest another option: Scared and Desparate!

I bet a lot of real 'heroes' (and heroines) are in this last category -- ordinary people in extra-ordinary situations where they acted instinctively, and came out alive (at least sometimes).

Alan
I'm a human BEING, not a human doing!
The two most important days of your life are the day you are born
and the day you discover why. (Donald Sensing)
One plus one equals three... for large values of one. (Bruce Fournier)
User avatar
footsteps
Tastes good with ketchup
 
Posts: 1680
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2003 12:03 am
Location: Canada

Postby doctorsparkles » Mon Jul 26, 2004 9:38 pm

First off, I already voted for strong and determined quite some time ago, because I think that those are qualities that almost all heroes have in addition to being dark and tormented, cold and unforgiving, noble and chivalrous, etc.
However, I've noticed that people have been knocking the darker characters. I think a dark and tormented character makes a great hero. I know this is a castle forum, but I'm going to use super-heroes as an example. Superman is the ultimate goody-goody hero; noble and chivalrous. While noble and chivalrous are by no means bad qualities, Superman is a character without much depth.
The coolest heroes are created by tragedy, which haunts them for the rest of their lives. This is their driving force. Batman, for example, is driven by the need for vengeance and a sense of guilt. Spider-man (though not a dark character in most people's eyes) is also driven by guilt.
Superman... well... he just does it. While that's very admirable, that's not the way most people work.
Heroes should have problems and weaknesses. They can be reluctant and scared. They can have unresolved emotional issues. This is what makes them human; This is what makes it possible for us to relate to a character.
"Always do what you want, and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." ~ Doctor Suess
User avatar
doctorsparkles
Landlord
 
Posts: 995
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 10:42 pm
Location: Medina, Ohio

Postby Formendacil » Mon Jul 26, 2004 10:06 pm

doctorsparkles wrote:First off, I already voted for strong and determined quite some time ago, because I think that those are qualities that almost all heroes have in addition to being dark and tormented, cold and unforgiving, noble and chivalrous, etc.
However, I've noticed that people have been knocking the darker characters. I think a dark and tormented character makes a great hero. I know this is a castle forum, but I'm going to use super-heroes as an example. Superman is the ultimate goody-goody hero; noble and chivalrous. While noble and chivalrous are by no means bad qualities, Superman is a character without much depth.
The coolest heroes are created by tragedy, which haunts them for the rest of their lives. This is their driving force. Batman, for example, is driven by the need for vengeance and a sense of guilt. Spider-man (though not a dark character in most people's eyes) is also driven by guilt.
Superman... well... he just does it. While that's very admirable, that's not the way most people work.
Heroes should have problems and weaknesses. They can be reluctant and scared. They can have unresolved emotional issues. This is what makes them human; This is what makes it possible for us to relate to a character.


This is a good point, and I have to agree with your super-hero examples: Superman is rather boring because he is invincible: he has no weaknesses in character or in strengths.

You (and the others who have pointed it out) are right about there being overlap between some of these qualities.

I still stand by my choice, not so much because I think that this is the best, but because I enjoy stories about old guys being brought out of retirement to fight one last battle.

Doesn't mean that I don't have or don't like the other kinds.
Because everyone needs another LEGO blog to follow:
Grandfather's Tales
User avatar
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar
 
Posts: 4189
Joined: Wed May 05, 2004 7:22 pm
Location: Framingham, MA

Postby Emperor James » Tue Jul 27, 2004 5:37 am

Yeah, I think that I like heroes more like Spiderman. Not sure how to some that up in two adjectives, though. Anyway, I'm prewriting for a book I hope to publish, as I want to be an author so I can be lazy and play with Legos most of the day :D So, I need some ideas for my hero, Aelthin.
Emperor James
Steward
 
Posts: 579
Joined: Mon Jul 12, 2004 3:55 am

PreviousNext

Return to Stories

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Aeridian and 2 guests

cron