Lego Wargaming

LEGO gaming, including group role playing games
Todd
Freeman

Lego Wargaming

Post by Todd »

I wrote a new set of tabletop wargaming rules intended for use with Lego. Haven't got the fortress rules yet, but the battlefield rules are available under this post.
Don't make me angry... I'm running out of places to hide the bodies.
Todd
Freeman

Post by Todd »

Tournament 2
A Plastic Miniatures Tabletop War-game
Created by Todd Ritzema
Copyright June 6, 2004 All rights reserved.

Introduction
This is a war-game intended to govern a simplified version of medieval warfare using plastic miniatures. All fighting is done by units of 1-16 Figures. Each player will have a setup area of no more than one third of the total playing area. Try to make this equal. When setting up please be sure to give each player an approximately equal force. While this game can support any number of players, it is recommended for no more than 4 or 5 players at a time.

Counting Figures
A Figure is defined as a miniature of a human or a human-like being (elves, goblins, dwarves, etcetera) with a couple of exceptions. In cavalry units, a horse counts as a Figure. Large beings (trolls, ents, giants, etcetera) count as 2 Figures. Extremely large beings (dragons, balrogs, titans, etcetera) count as 3 Figures. Siege Engines count as 1 Figure.

Turns
Have each player roll 1d6. The guy with the highest number goes first. After that simply go around clockwise.

Formations
The formation of a unit does not matter, except that which ever part of that unit is touching/ facing an opposing unit becomes the front line. In other words, having a long linear formation can be good, but if you’re flanked you may only have 1 or 2 figures facing up to 16 opponents. Box formations are safest.

Experience
A unit gains +1 experience for every unit that it eliminates. Each +1 experience gives +1 to all dice rolls. Thus, veteran units are more powerful than raw recruits. Experience and standard bonuses are marked on unit stands by putting a round dot on the stand for each dice bonus.

Fighting…Hand to Hand
Hand to hand combat is used to resolve combat between opposing units whose stands are touching. Each player rolls 1d6 adding all bonuses and subtracting all penalties. The highest net number wins. Casualties equal the number of troops in the front rank of the attacker or the defender, whichever is lower.

Fighting… Ranged
Ranged combat is used to resolve combat between units whose stands are not touching. Ranged combat is only available to ranged units. Ranged units can fire 5x CM unless otherwise noted. The attacking player rolls 1d6. 1-3 the attack misses. 4-6 the attack hits. If the defender is a ranged unit, it may return fire in the same manner. Casualties equal the number of troops in the front rank of the attacker or the defender, whichever is lower.

Movement
Each player receives 3 moves per turn. These may be used in one of the following ways: movement of one unit, combining two units, attacking with a unit (defending costs no movement), healing with a unit, trying to break away. If two opposing units are touching, and one of their players wishes to break away roll 1d6. 1-3 the attempt fails, and the unit remains in place. 4-6 the attempt succeeds, and the unit can move and/or change facing.

Unit Types
It should be noted that… 1. Any attacked unit gets a defensive roll unless it is a ranged attack against a non-ranged unit. 2. Unless otherwise indicated, all units move up to one Common Measurement (what ever length suits your army size and playing area) per movement action. 3. Attacking uphill gives a minus one penalty to the attackers’ roll.

Dragon Riders
Move 3x CM. Unit gets one automatic kill against non-heavy units when attacking or defending. +2 to dice rolls. Only fails to break away on a roll of 1.

Heavy Cavalry
Move 2x CM. Unit gets one automatic kill against non-heavy units when attacking. +1 to dice rolls.

Light Cavalry
Move 3x CM.

Horse Archers
Move 2x CM. Ranged Unit.

Foot Archers
Can shoot over friendly units. Ranged Unit.

Medics
Heals friendly units in base contact with it on a roll of 6 on 1d6. If the healing is successful, restore the unit to full health.

Siege Engines
Unit gets one automatic kill against non-heavy units when attacking. Ranged Unit.

Heavy Pole Arm Infantry
Unit gets one automatic kill against Cavalry units when defending. +1 to dice rolls.

Light Pole Arm Infantry
Unit gets one automatic kill against Cavalry units when defending.

Heavy Infantry
+1 to dice rolls.

Light Infantry
No bonuses.

Victory
Victory is achieved when only one player’s troops remain on the battlefield. With regards to points, if you prefer that sort of scale, 10 points per figure killed. 100 points per unit killed.
Todd
Freeman

Post by Todd »

Feel free to use these rules and post any questions about game play here. If you want a player's copy of the rules just email me. While Tournament 2 is shareware, please don't try to claim credit for it or sell it. Thanks. Hope you enjoy Tournament 2!!!
jamitjames
Gentleman

Post by jamitjames »

I might use it if I get more guys, hehe.
[url=http://radio.laml.org/]LAMLradio: LEGO Talk Podcast[/url]
Lord Nev
Reeve

Post by Lord Nev »

[quote="Todd"]Feel free to use these rules and post any questions about game play here.

Thanx! Don't mind if I do!
Beware the day my soul is unleashed. Not even Megablocks itself will rival its fire!
Lord Nev
Reeve

Post by Lord Nev »

I like how you gave just about everything pros and cons. Thou hast thought this through. I commend thee!
Beware the day my soul is unleashed. Not even Megablocks itself will rival its fire!
g2
Sir Postsalot

Post by g2 »

Nice set of rules. I will give it a go, and give you some feedback on how it all went.

Now all I need is to find an opponent with a worthy Lego army. :)