Lands of Classic Castle - Discussion Thread

LEGO gaming, including group role playing games
Elderon
Apprentice

Re: Lands of Classic Castle - Discussion Thread

Post by Elderon »

AK_Brickster wrote: Middle ranges of the habitat can find them in either gray or white, depending on the season.
If you change season to location, it sounds perfect! Since we don't really seem to have changing seasons, I mean Garheim nearly always has snow and Lenfald nearly always has trees with leaves in most creations and Loreos is just always a desert. Therefore I suggest we use the gray ones for the middle-Roawia valley and lower regions, and use the white ones for Garheim and highlands (ie mountains with snow).

Great idea though, and nice to have these new animals we can use in our world. And please correct me if we do have changing seasons, but I think it would be a bit confusing if it starts snowing in Lenfald, for they would look to much like Garheim builds, wouldn't you think? Maybe we can accept it in our lore that we don't have clear season changes, somewhat like in a Song of Ice and Fire, where seasons tend to last for years instead of months. I think it would be much clearer for factions to build in.

although I am open to a better way of explaining not only the gray wolves, but the seasons in general :wink:

PS. I do know it wouldn't really seem to be in compliance with the Winter Holiday Celebration Contest, but I think it shouldn't really matter for this once, right?
[img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/lord-of-orks/map/rankings/peasant2.jpg[/img]
Fairy tales do not tell children the dragons exist. Children know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed. ~G.K. Chesterton
AK_Brickster
Admin
Admin

Post by AK_Brickster »

Well maybe Loreos doesn't have "traditional" seasons, but could have a dry and rainy season, much like real deserts do. Lenfald seems the most likely to have spring/summer/fall/winter in the way that we think of it traditionally, but in winter, maybe the majority of Lenfald only gets minimal snowfall and is more rainy (similar to Seattle). Garheim has snow throughout most of the land for most of the year, but the southern parts near Lenfald could certainly have periods where grass and crops could be cultivated.

Interesting that this topic hasn't really come up before, but I think with the proliferation of altBricks leaves in great fall colors, it would be a shame not to be able to have a fall season in Lenfald, don't you agree? ;)
Plastics make it possible! (BrickLink) - My Flickr Stream
Courage, Honor, Loyalty! For Garheim!
ZacharyIslazy
Bailiff

Post by ZacharyIslazy »

I've seen this mentioned just once or twice in the last couple months or so, but does the LCC actually have a wiki? Because I didn't think it would because of its, respectfully, small size in terms of Lore. Just wanted a little clarification.

Also, I hear we're about to get hit with a new GC. :)
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/56307748@N02]Flickr[/url]
[img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/lord-of-o ... ttorso.jpg[/img]

Check out Lands of Roawia!
Mark of Falworth
Master Builder
Master Builder

Post by Mark of Falworth »

ZacharyIslazy wrote:I've seen this mentioned just once or twice in the last couple months or so, but does the LCC actually have a wiki? Because I didn't think it would because of its, respectfully, small size in terms of Lore. Just wanted a little clarification.

I'm pretty sure LCC has a Wiki. I think Mitah got one going. Although I'm not sure where to find it. ;)

Yes, the next GC is in the works! It should kick in after the LCC- “Winter Holiday Celebration” CONTEST is over.
friskywhiskers
Landlord

Post by friskywhiskers »

Mark of Falworth wrote:
ZacharyIslazy wrote:I've seen this mentioned just once or twice in the last couple months or so, but does the LCC actually have a wiki? Because I didn't think it would because of its, respectfully, small size in terms of Lore. Just wanted a little clarification.

I'm pretty sure LCC has a Wiki. I think Mitah got one going. Although I'm not sure where to find it. ;)

Yes, the next GC is in the works! It should kick in after the LCC- “Winter Holiday Celebration” CONTEST is over.
Here you go. :)
mencot
Twifealdlic Builder

Post by mencot »

Sounds good AK and those poor ones that seems to stray down to Loreos will make good pelts :lol:
Sir Mencot Paladin and rogue
[img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/lord-of-orks/map/rankings/citizen3.jpg[/img][img]http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8244/8487960182_6a051704d4_t.jpg[/img][img]http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8120/8636932919_7220cc2cc9_m.jpg[/img]
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/mencot]Flickr[/url]
Elderon
Apprentice

Post by Elderon »

AK_Brickster wrote:Interesting that this topic hasn't really come up before, but I think with the proliferation of altBricks leaves in great fall colors, it would be a shame not to be able to have a fall season in Lenfald, don't you agree? ;)
Well since I'm a purist, I don't really care for those altBricks leaves, but I can see why others love them. And Lego is producing the dark red leaves, so I can see a few fall scenes coming up indeed. And you referred to the south of Garheim, which I kinda included in the lower regions of Roawia. Maybe other people should say what they think about it?

Oh, and on a side note, since my current build took up most of my bricks and needs to stay intact for quite a while, I was thinking on doing something smaller next. I was thinking on building all the known races of Roawia, I've checked my figs, etc., and I think I can work that out. But I thought somebody already was planning on doing just that, so if someone is already building this I will think of something else to build :wink:
[img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/lord-of-orks/map/rankings/peasant2.jpg[/img]
Fairy tales do not tell children the dragons exist. Children know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed. ~G.K. Chesterton
Teherean
Steward

Post by Teherean »

Elderon wrote:Oh, and on a side note, since my current build took up most of my bricks and needs to stay intact for quite a while, I was thinking on doing something smaller next. I was thinking on building all the known races of Roawia, I've checked my figs, etc., and I think I can work that out. But I thought somebody already was planning on doing just that, so if someone is already building this I will think of something else to build :wink:
In fact, I believe multiple people have such a project in the works, or have done them already. Don't feel blocked by that, it'd be pretty interesting to see several interpretations of Roawia's people, from builders with their own distinct styles in minifigs and presentation.
AFOL, Brony, Yeah... I am a child at heart!

[img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/t-est/LCC ... nfald2.jpg[/img]
Mattias
Villein

Post by Mattias »

Hey everyone! I'm Matt and i'm new here. I've been active on Flickr in the past, and still am for the most part :wink: I have had a long history with different Flickr based groups such as Legends of Brickdom and decided i'd try my hand here! I'm happy to be in your company!
Hey! Check out my Flickr, it's filled with other Lego-y goodness! http://www.flickr.com/photos/79463616@N06/
Mark of Falworth
Master Builder
Master Builder

Post by Mark of Falworth »

Mattias wrote:Hey everyone! I'm Matt and i'm new here. I've been active on Flickr in the past, and still am for the most part :wink: I have had a long history with different Flickr based groups such as Legends of Brickdom and decided i'd try my hand here! I'm happy to be in your company!
Hey Matt! Nice to see you here! Welcome to CC and LCC! :D
royalbrickcustoms
Gentleman

Post by royalbrickcustoms »

Hey LCC FOs when does the next Global Challenge start (GC 3)? :)

~RBC
"I can do all things through Him who strengthens me."
~Phil. 4:13

[url=http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=RBCustoms]Royal Brick Customs Shop (Bricklink)[/url]
AK_Brickster
Admin
Admin

Post by AK_Brickster »

I'll restate what has already been said in response to this question in several other places: The next GC is coming soon. Probably this week. We (the FOs) are all very busy with our "real life" responsibilities, so please be patient.

royalbrickcustoms
Gentleman

Post by royalbrickcustoms »

AK_Brickster wrote:I'll restate what has already been said in response to this question in several other places: The next GC is coming soon. Probably this week. We (the FOs) are all very busy with our "real life" responsibilities, so please be patient.

Ok thanks AK. :)

Have a blessed day.

~RBC
"I can do all things through Him who strengthens me."
~Phil. 4:13

[url=http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=RBCustoms]Royal Brick Customs Shop (Bricklink)[/url]
Lord Mercat
Laborer

Post by Lord Mercat »

I've been doing a lot of reading up on the whole LCC project, and there are a lot of things I like- the lore, the setting, all the great MOCs (especially the MOCs) but there seems to be one major problem with the whole project. That is- the project has essentially devolved into much more of a two faction game- with the outlaws on one side, and loreos, lenfald, and garheim on the other. There is almost no competition between these three (loreos, lenfald and garheim) factions, as all of their efforts are almost entirely devoted to beating up on the outlaws- which would be fine, excepting that the outlaws have the smallest number of active members, and don't really seem as if they have enough people building mocs to represent themselves well as all the other factions have ganged up on them (look at the latest global challenge- the outlaws had 7 entries, while the other 3 factions had 9, 12, and 14 for a combined total of 35 entries) . Now I'm all for the great good vs evil contest, but quite frankly the outlaws aren't numerous enough, and those opposing them are far too numerous. Even the latest global challenge is essentially "beat up on the outlaws" Its like I'm watching the reverse of the classic evil empire storyline, with the ragtag group of heroes as the villains, but while still maintaining that "good always wins" mantra. I don't think it really works well. For all intents and purposes, Loreos, lenfald, and garheim have become sub-factions of the larger Kingdom of Roawia faction. There is nothing but a very mild friendly rivalry between those three. IMHO, for this project to shine its brightest, there needs to be actual competition between the four factions. With all these treaties, and beating up on the outlaws, it really is far from what it could be, there's no nuance to it, its far too black and white. Basically, its like you have California, Nevada, Montana, and Cuba as your four factions. 3 of them are part of the same country, and are all far greater in number and power than the fourth faction.

Also, I am not trying to say that the factions should be in open war with each other, but I do think there should be some animosity between them (not between the actual members mind you, just the factions themselves) otherwise it lends itself to being either frustrating (as one of the outlaws, or boring, as one of the other three.) Now, I apologize if I upset anyone, but this is my honest take on this project. What I think could solve this problem though- would be to have the assault on the magic islands that is currently going on be a huge failure for the kingdoms (without influencing the actual contest or anything, just as a general storyline event) and then have a large fallout between the factions over who is to blame, shattering treaties and making this more of a four suit game.

Anyway, just thought that needed to be brought up, again I apologize if I've upset anyone, but I am trying to give honest criticism of an issue I've noticed. This is pretty much the only thing preventing me from joining at this point.
AK_Brickster
Admin
Admin

Post by AK_Brickster »

Lord Mercat wrote:I've been doing a lot of reading up on the whole LCC project... *snip*.
Thanks for your open an honest observation. Unfortunately, I can't divulge any details about what may or may not happen after the conclusion of GC3, but rest assured that the planning committee ("King's Council") are of a very similar mind as yours, and the next big twist in the global plot is about to come. I think you'll find it quite satisfying :eyebrows: