Classic-Castle.com


The source for all your LEGO Castle needs!

Lands of Classic Castle - Discussion Thread

LEGO gaming, including group role playing games

Re: Lands of Classic Castle - Discussion Thread

Postby Mark of Siloam » Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:11 am

I just started reading a bit of this and I can't read and keep track of what has been going on for the past 56 pages :o but her is an idea.

In a future challenge for the citizens of Roawia, each faction could seek to expand its borders by creating a fleet of ships too travel the seas (Garheim- travel East, Lenfald- travel West, Loreos- travel South, Outlaws-travel wherever the individuals want). The factions could each be responsible for creating their own map of this uncharted wilderness (or it could be inhabited) and keeping their map current as the local challenges progress.

It this has been suggested previously, please let me know. I just think that it would provide some good material to go off of if we're looking for some way to expand Roawia. :)
User avatar
Mark of Siloam
Villein
 
Posts: 35
Joined: Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:09 pm
Location: The beautiful mountains of Garheim.

Re: Lands of Classic Castle - Discussion Thread

Postby AK_Brickster » Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:47 am

Andared of Lenfald wrote:Hey, does anyone know what the official LCC stance is toward computer-generated "Lego" builds?

Personally I don't think that they should be allowed (at least, not for competitions), but I wanted to see what the KC and other LCCers had to say about this.
For now, lets adopt the standards of the CCC, which is that rendered MOCs are allowed, provided that the parts used in the digital model are in colors that are actually available for the elements used, and no excessive use of rare or hard-to-find parts.

Sound ok for now?
User avatar
AK_Brickster
Visconte des Paysans de Gong
 
Posts: 3319
Joined: Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:02 pm
Location: Mushing through the Great Driftplains of Garheim

Re: Lands of Classic Castle - Discussion Thread

Postby Andared of Lenfald » Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:16 am

AK_Brickster wrote:For now, lets adopt the standards of the CCC, which is that rendered MOCs are allowed, provided that the parts used in the digital model are in colors that are actually available for the elements used, and no excessive use of rare or hard-to-find parts.

Sound ok for now?


To be honest, no, not really. I don't think that it should be allowed, period, because the advantages it provides are simply too great. It is not fair that someone can attain an unlimited amount of parts (rare or not) at no cost to themselves, they have an instantly sorted collection which required no effort on their part, and they do not even have to take the time to set up a proper photoshoot, or even own a camera at all.

For free builds and such, I don't really mind, but as far as competitions go (both LCs and GCs) I think it is unfair to allow computer generated entries.
User avatar
Andared of Lenfald
Foot Soldier
 
Posts: 222
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:09 pm
Location: The forests of Lenfald

Re: Lands of Classic Castle - Discussion Thread

Postby Crazycrownieguy » Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:52 am

While I can appreciate the amount of work that the really good digital builders put into their builds. I am going to have to agree with andared, it seems a bit unfair for that to be allowed in LCs and GCs, since as andared pointed out, they have a literally unlimited amount of pieces.
CCG
For the glory of Garhim!!!
Captain Rufus Song
ImageImageImage
User avatar
Crazycrownieguy
Bailiff
 
Posts: 312
Joined: Sun May 13, 2012 3:42 am
Location: Wandering around Lenfald

Re: Lands of Classic Castle - Discussion Thread

Postby ludzik » Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:58 am

Yeah... The digital designs are often amazing but I'm not a big fan of them for contests. They seem like a shortcut and while I can understand that one might be short of bricks at times to build I think that LEGO is so flexible that of allows ones imagination to bulld with few as well as many bricks and its the imagination that really is the limiter...
Image
User avatar
ludzik
Steward
 
Posts: 505
Joined: Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:01 pm

Re: Lands of Classic Castle - Discussion Thread

Postby AK_Brickster » Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:21 am

I'm not really sure what is "unfair" about it, considering everyone here has the ability to do digital MOCs?

Also, have you ever tried to build anything on LDD? Personally, I find it more difficult than building with physical bricks. It also seems like advanced building techniques are much more difficult digitally.

I'm not saying you are wrong for having your opinion, I'm just trying to provide an alternative viewpoint. I personally prefer physical MOCs, and would probably reflect that with my voting preference, as I am sure many other people would as well.

I guess my biggest point is the "unfairness" claim when digital building is available to everyone. :?
User avatar
AK_Brickster
Visconte des Paysans de Gong
 
Posts: 3319
Joined: Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:02 pm
Location: Mushing through the Great Driftplains of Garheim

Re: Lands of Classic Castle - Discussion Thread

Postby ludzik » Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:41 am

Call me a purist but building with LDD I'm never limited by brick supply . with real bricks I often have to becreative to build what dream up with what i have... Also with eeal bricks things have to be structurally sound while with led the emphasis can be placed on the shell...

Maybe LSD build can be rolled into another guild ? I just don't feel right seeing ldd builds next to real brick builds in regular contests...
Image
User avatar
ludzik
Steward
 
Posts: 505
Joined: Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:01 pm

Re: Lands of Classic Castle - Discussion Thread

Postby Louie le Brickvalier » Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:06 pm

I am going to have to agree with Jordan. I can't really understand the argument of "unfairness" because I have personally tried out LDD and find it much harder than building with physical bricks. Moreover, it would be unfair if LDD wasn't available to everyone -but it is.

I personally think our group should be have open arms to any builder, whether they build physically or digitally. :)
User avatar
Louie le Brickvalier
Apprentice
 
Posts: 166
Joined: Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:38 am
Location: North Carolina

Re: Lands of Classic Castle - Discussion Thread

Postby Andared of Lenfald » Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:35 pm

AK_Brickster wrote:Also, have you ever tried to build anything on LDD? Personally, I find it more difficult than building with physical bricks. It also seems like advanced building techniques are much more difficult digitally.


I have, a very long time ago, and I have always heard this argument (in past discussions on other messageboards and such) about how advanced techniques are so much harder on LDD, but not once has anyone ever provided an example.

AK_Brickster wrote:I'm not saying you are wrong for having your opinion, I'm just trying to provide an alternative viewpoint. I personally prefer physical MOCs, and would probably reflect that with my voting preference, as I am sure many other people would as well.


That may be true, but an unfair entry is unfair, regardless of whether it is popular or not.

AK_Brickster wrote:I guess my biggest point is the "unfairness" claim when digital building is available to everyone.


Look at it this way:

The superbowl was just played yesterday. The winning team will receive money, championship rings, and the Lombardi trophy. If I can win the superbowl on my Madden13 videogame, why shouldn't I also receive money, a ring, and a trophy? It takes skill to play madden and beat another real player, and it is a lot harder to do some things digitally like juke and make cuts than it does in real life.

Is my point valid?

Louie le Brickvalier wrote:I am going to have to agree with Jordan. I can't really understand the argument of "unfairness" because I have personally tried out LDD and find it much harder than building with physical bricks. Moreover, it would be unfair if LDD wasn't available to everyone -but it is.


Steroids are widely available to all baseball players too. Why should we punish players for using them?
User avatar
Andared of Lenfald
Foot Soldier
 
Posts: 222
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:09 pm
Location: The forests of Lenfald

Re: Lands of Classic Castle - Discussion Thread

Postby Ronin Dragonslayer » Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:30 am

I have to agree; I'm not a fan of LDD builds (aside from potential LEGOgroup sets pitched on cusuu) and don't think they should be included in LC's or GC's. I'm not the best builder but I appreciate the technical skill and creativity that people have with the LEGO bricks they do have, being limited on bricks myself. While LDD may be available to everyone, many people - myself included - are not good with computers and computer programs; some people, on the other hand, can take to such programs like a fish to water and create unrealistically large or complex builds. It's not "unfair", by any means; I'm just expressing my dislike for it, since the conversation is on the table.
ImageImage
Image
User avatar
Ronin Dragonslayer
Journeyman
 
Posts: 422
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:59 pm
Location: The mountains of Garheim

Re: Lands of Classic Castle - Discussion Thread

Postby Sir Valiant » Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:21 am

I have to say that I disagree with the majority that have commented here. I think that LDD and digitally rendered builds should be allowed. Mainly for those who may not have access to their collection but also, because to build up a significant collection takes time, and quite a lot of money for those who don't have that available to them.

Also, digitally render builds are much harder to make, in my opinion. As long as they don't use pieces not available in certain colours I think its fine to have them in the LCC. It takes skill and patience to build online, just as it real bricks.

Probably the best argument for allowing LDD builds is that we already allow them in the Colossal Castle Contest. Of all places, where an, "unlimited collection" of castle pieces could lead to a huge advantage, it is in that contest. Since LDD builds are allowed there, they should be fine in the LCC. The builder still has to follow the same guidelines and size restrictions that we do, so its not a huge problem in my opinion. As long as they build within the colour pallet, and don't use unrealistic/unstable techniques, then it should be fine.
Just my 2 cents....

Sir Valiant~
"Soli Deo Gloria"
Sir Valiant~ ----------Flickr
User avatar
Sir Valiant
Archer
 
Posts: 394
Joined: Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:46 am
Location: Leightondrake

Re: Lands of Classic Castle - Discussion Thread

Postby SSchmidt » Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:25 am

Sir Valiant wrote:
Probably the best argument for allowing LDD builds is that we already allow them in the Colossal Castle Contest. Of all places, where an, "unlimited collection" of castle pieces could lead to a huge advantage, it is in that contest. Since LDD builds are allowed there, they should be fine in the LCC.
Just my 2 cents....

Sir Valiant~


Honestly, I was in total agreement with Andared until I read that. I still am a little sketchy about it, but if the CCC allows it, then I suppose I do not have a problem with it.

I love the LCC, it is an awesome program ran by great people and supported by wonderful members. I would absolutely hate for someone to miss out of the LCC because they had little (if any) LEGO at all. I do believe there are circumstances where one wouldn't be able to build because of no LEGO collection. I would hate to penalize them if they had access to LDD but not LEGO bricks. I don't want the fun and enjoyment of LCC to be exclusive to 99.9% of people over the age of 13. I want the 0.1% to be able to participate as well.
PSN: SSchmidt-
Image
Image
User avatar
SSchmidt
Merchant
 
Posts: 1214
Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:53 am
Location: A pilgrim passing through Roawia

Re: Lands of Classic Castle - Discussion Thread

Postby mpoh98 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:46 am

SSchmidt wrote:
I love the LCC, it is an awesome program ran by great people and supported by wonderful members. I would absolutely hate for someone to miss out of the LCC because they had little (if any) LEGO at all. I do believe there are circumstances where one wouldn't be able to build because of no LEGO collection. I would hate to penalize them if they had access to LDD but not LEGO bricks. I don't want the fun and enjoyment of LCC to be exclusive to 99.9% of people over the age of 13. I want the 0.1% to be able to participate as well.


I agree, I love the LCC, and if people want to play, but don't have real bricks, by all means, use LDD! My younger brother is one of them, he doesn't have many bricks, so he likes to build in LDD. He also knows some pretty good techniques, (that i taught him :wink: ) and when he gets on LDD, he has tons of fun! So if people want to use LDD, I say let them, as long as they are having fun building with Lego, as that is what it is for! :D
Mocpages, Flickr
Support Huckleberry Finn on Lego Ideas!
Philippians 4:13
User avatar
mpoh98
Justiciar
 
Posts: 1916
Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:33 am
Location: Lenfald of Roawia

Re: Lands of Classic Castle - Discussion Thread

Postby ZacharyIslazy » Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:17 am

Yeah, I'm going t weigh in favor of allowing Rendered builds. The LCC should be open for all, even those with a limited collection. At the end of the day I don't think it really matters who's got the biggest collection, best sorted collection, biggest selection of rare parts, or better technical skills, it's more about the actual time and effort you put into the build. Whether your entry is rendered or brick-built, if you truly put the time and effort into a submission, then that's all the convincing I need to accept your build into a contest/challenge/what have you.

I'd also like to voice some other opinions/comments on previous topics :)

I know we allow humanoids on the mainland, Elves, Dwarves, Etc.
Do you think Goblins, Orcs, and Giants would fall under this category as well. I would think so. It's very likely that in the less populated parts of Roawia Orcs and Goblins have tribes set up, and the same for Giants, who I can picture living in Garhiem.

Also on the whole currency thing, I always thought it'd be similar to early colonial America. Each state/region would usually have it's own tender, like each region of Roawia, but then other currencies were also accepted, like the French, British, and Spanish money. Much would be the same in Roawia. There would be 4 different currencies for each faction, as well as an official money provided by the "Crown", but they'd all be accepted everywhere, and be valued the same. Just my thoughts.
Flickr
Image

Check out Lands of Roawia!
User avatar
ZacharyIslazy
Bailiff
 
Posts: 311
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2012 3:34 am
Location: Drunkenly wandering Roawia.

Re: Lands of Classic Castle - Discussion Thread

Postby SSchmidt » Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:27 am

I hope there are non-humanoid tribes in other lands, because my character recently killed a mob of six goblins in a Garhim cave :)

In relation to the currency, I do think it is important we establish who has what as their currency. I don't think it's an important thing as far as progression of the story line, but it helps to have these little details ironed out so people can reference them in their storylines.
PSN: SSchmidt-
Image
Image
User avatar
SSchmidt
Merchant
 
Posts: 1214
Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:53 am
Location: A pilgrim passing through Roawia

PreviousNext

Return to Roleplay and LEGO gaming

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest