LCC General Information and FAQ

LEGO gaming, including group role playing games
eilonwy77
Archer

Re: LCC General Information and FAQ

Post by eilonwy77 »

AK_Brickster wrote:Or... *grins mischievously*.... you could always be a member of one of the other 3 factions who is loyal to the King, but practice magic secretly in a hidden room of your home/castle/hovel/hideout :sly:
Oh, definitely! Kind of like the Merlin TV show (which I love). But I'm not turning all evil, like Morgana. At least, I don't think so.... But the outlaws are all ragtag, and I'm only good at building pretty palace things. Well, I'm sure I could make an effort for something else, but ragtag groups of people don't tend to decorate with intricate patterns.

A few more questions: Once you made something, would you have to keep it put together for future story development? That could be problematic for people who don't have enough bricks to leave stuff together (like me). And for the people who are developing armies for fighting... would those people have to provide the enemy soldiers too, if you want to show them in the fight? So when people are planning what faction to join, and looking at their minifigs' clothes, they might also need to consider what factions they might want to attack?

(I find it highly probably that you've discussed this elsewhere, but there are pages and pages to go through in some of those threads...)

8)
wobnam
Master Liliputian
Master Liliputian

Post by wobnam »

eilonwy77 wrote:But the outlaws are all ragtag, and I'm only good at building pretty palace things. Well, I'm sure I could make an effort for something else, but ragtag groups of people don't tend to decorate with intricate patterns.
They don't have to be - I think the description of the Outlaws in the original post is a bit narrow and focuses on the "bandit" side of them. I imagine there could be civilized Outlaws living in huge, beautiful castles on the magic island.
eilonwy77 wrote:A few more questions: Once you made something, would you have to keep it put together for future story development?
Nope!
eilonwy77 wrote:would those people have to provide the enemy soldiers too, if you want to show them in the fight? So when people are planning what faction to join, and looking at their minifigs' clothes, they might also need to consider what factions they might want to attack?
Yes :)
mencot
Twifealdlic Builder

Post by mencot »

wobnam wrote:
eilonwy77 wrote:But the outlaws are all ragtag, and I'm only good at building pretty palace things. Well, I'm sure I could make an effort for something else, but ragtag groups of people don't tend to decorate with intricate patterns.
They don't have to be - I think the description of the Outlaws in the original post is a bit narrow and focuses on the "bandit" side of them. I imagine there could be civilized Outlaws living in huge, beautiful castles on the magic island.
eilonwy77 wrote:A few more questions: Once you made something, would you have to keep it put together for future story development?
Nope!
eilonwy77 wrote:would those people have to provide the enemy soldiers too, if you want to show them in the fight? So when people are planning what faction to join, and looking at their minifigs' clothes, they might also need to consider what factions they might want to attack?
Yes :)
Like wobnam said, on the magic island there are fantasy cretures, magical beings and civilizated people that has been banned or have moved there (lore will decide why they are there) this Island is like a very magical thing, with maybe beutiful towns and magical forests and meddows etc. And I always water the volcano somewhere magic evil characters could be :)
Sir Mencot Paladin and rogue
[img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/lord-of-orks/map/rankings/citizen3.jpg[/img][img]http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8244/8487960182_6a051704d4_t.jpg[/img][img]http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8120/8636932919_7220cc2cc9_m.jpg[/img]
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/mencot]Flickr[/url]
shmails
Bard of the Royal Court

Post by shmails »

Here is my big question......How does a faction made up of small groups of bandits, thieves, and magical figures create MOCs in the same manner as the other factions? Why would a group not organized show flags of the faction or build in a way that creates a group look or feel? Why would they all get points for something the other bad guys do when they are not a true faction?

I understand that this is for the scoring part of the game, however it does not fit correctly in my mind. If I choose to be a bandit, I should be able to make my group more powerful within the faction and not help the others that are getting in the way of my good time beating up the peasants. It should more closely represent something like the Bretheren court in the pirates age, where the leaders are not looking out for anyone but themselves, and only band together when absolutely necessary.

It feels like the bandits are a throwaway group that you are trying to fit into the mold of the other factions, but that goes against the idea of the bandits in general. That is not an insult or anything, but I cannot get past the fact that I will be making things to benefit other bad guys. There should be a seperate set of rules and guidelines for this group. I know it is more work, but would make so much more sense imho.
mencot
Twifealdlic Builder

Post by mencot »

shmails wrote:Here is my big question......How does a faction made up of small groups of bandits, thieves, and magical figures create MOCs in the same manner as the other factions? Why would a group not organized show flags of the faction or build in a way that creates a group look or feel? Why would they all get points for something the other bad guys do when they are not a true faction?

I understand that this is for the scoring part of the game, however it does not fit correctly in my mind. If I choose to be a bandit, I should be able to make my group more powerful within the faction and not help the others that are getting in the way of my good time beating up the peasants. It should more closely represent something like the Bretheren court in the pirates age, where the leaders are not looking out for anyone but themselves, and only band together when absolutely necessary.

It feels like the bandits are a throwaway group that you are trying to fit into the mold of the other factions, but that goes against the idea of the bandits in general. That is not an insult or anything, but I cannot get past the fact that I will be making things to benefit other bad guys. There should be a seperate set of rules and guidelines for this group. I know it is more work, but would make so much more sense imho.
Yes this sound interesting and the outlaw faction should be diffrent because they are not banded toughter with eachother, (the rebels ofcourse should be one fighting against the rulership and the factions) but back to outlaws because they are diffrent, they are hard to come up with rules for them. A own guild Den of Thieves just for outlaws would a way to give them some diffrent ruling similar like Shmails said. This is something to consider.
And a other thing when we get this project running and we have more members rebels and outlaws could be parted to two diffrent factions, because rebels and outlaws are a very diffrent thing altough they have so similaries. Just some more ideas. :)
[img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/lord-of-orks/map/rankings/citizen3.jpg[/img][img]http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8244/8487960182_6a051704d4_t.jpg[/img][img]http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8120/8636932919_7220cc2cc9_m.jpg[/img]
wobnam
Master Liliputian
Master Liliputian

Post by wobnam »

shmails:

The Outlaws are definitely different from the other factions, and this was one of the bigger issues we dealt with in the developtment process.

The Outlaws don't have one standard banner: They use black which signifies they are outlaws and not part of any faction, and then another color for variation. You don't have to use banners either, and you're free to come up with a different symbol for your group if you want. The same applies for building style; they don't have one shared style, you're free to do what you want.

Like you say, points is all about the scoring. Scoring happens in the real world, not in Roawia, and getting points for a build in a challenge doesn't help the other bandits in-world. Scoring and status has no effect on what happens in-world at all, so I don't really see the problem here.

Like I said, you are right that the Outlaws are "different" from the other factions. They are "the rest", whatever doesn't fit in the factions. The main reasons we need a faction like this I think is:

1) There was a huge discussion about the inclusion of magic and this was an issue where it was really hard to find middle ground.
2) Not everyone has enough figures and bricks to build comfortably in one of the other factions.
3) The other factions offer more restrictions, not just in terms of magic. For many builders this is part of the fun, but others might want to build outside the box a little bit.

I think that for this project to be fun, we have to score the Outlaws the same way we score the other factions. Keep in mind that this is a game, and even if their characters are bitter enemies, the faction members can be friends and work together.

One thing we did discuss in development was that some/many/most Outlaws - while still being individual groups like they are now and not united like the other factions - share a common cause (most likely their hatred for the king and his rule). I personally liked this idea, but nothing ever came of it. I don't know if something like this would help you.
shmails
Bard of the Royal Court

Post by shmails »

I hear ya, and I know it is not easy to organize something like this that needs to appeal to a wide range of builders. I just can't get past a group that wants to be independant accumulating points for others. I understand that it is just a game, but the storyline, map, and other aspects are very detailed into a realistic world, and this does not fit in my head.

Perhaps there is a way to be an independant faction, where you get way fewer points (no global ones or something) but have the option to align with other outlaws to gain power in the world? The big problem is that magic, bandits, outlaws, and other outcasts do not mesh the way the others do. I get that they can be friendly to each other, but it is not as realistic as the other things in this game.

Again, I am just thinking outloud here and not criticizing anyone. I know it may be too late, but hey, I was away for a week. :D
richardanthonyc
Reeve

Post by richardanthonyc »

shmails wrote:I hear ya, and I know it is not easy to organize something like this that needs to appeal to a wide range of builders. I just can't get past a group that wants to be independant accumulating points for others. I understand that it is just a game, but the storyline, map, and other aspects are very detailed into a realistic world, and this does not fit in my head.

Perhaps there is a way to be an independant faction, where you get way fewer points (no global ones or something) but have the option to align with other outlaws to gain power in the world? The big problem is that magic, bandits, outlaws, and other outcasts do not mesh the way the others do. I get that they can be friendly to each other, but it is not as realistic as the other things in this game.

Again, I am just thinking outloud here and not criticizing anyone. I know it may be too late, but hey, I was away for a week. :D
Well in the future I think it was mentioned that there may be an expansion depending on participation and more factions may be added
SIlent enim leges inter arma

[img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/lord-of-o ... asant4.jpg[/img]
shmails
Bard of the Royal Court

Post by shmails »

So I guess my question becomes can I create an outlaw or bandit character, and down the road, if it is not as much fun to help other bandits, can I start over with a new character in another faction? Would I start from zero or would some of my points transfer over?
mencot
Twifealdlic Builder

Post by mencot »

it is good that you think out loud and givin ideas and opinons, cause nothing will ever be changed if everybody just nicely agrees to what a few has decided. I am doing it and I wont shut up, maybe nobody listen but you never know :)
Like a own den of Thieves sometime in the future :roflol:

Last post, good question Shmails
wobnam
Master Liliputian
Master Liliputian

Post by wobnam »

shmails:

I don't get what you mean by "accumulating points FOR others". The points are pretty much worthless in-world, all they do is create a sense of competition and belonging in your faction. If you build something amazing which gains the Outlaws 5 extra points - what does that do FOR the other Outlaw players? Also keep in mind that you have a personal score unrelated to your faction's score.

I know you are familiar with roleplaying, so consider this: In a roleplay, conflict between the characters can be a good thing if the players use it in the right way. The way I see it, the Outlaws have a huge advantage over the other factions in that their members can work together to set up interesting storylines and creations with the virtually unlimited amount of conflict within their faction.

And it's not like conflict and outright war might happen within the other factions as well.

I'm not saying I don't see your points (and somewhat agree with them), but imo, all things considered, I think this is the best solution for everyone.

As for starting over with a new character, I don't see why that should be disallowed - but we don't want people going back and forth between factions either, so put some consideration into which faction you join. If you do switch, you probably can't go back to your original character later.
shmails
Bard of the Royal Court

Post by shmails »

wobnam wrote:shmails:

I don't get what you mean by "accumulating points FOR others". The points are pretty much worthless in-world, all they do is create a sense of competition and belonging in your faction. If you build something amazing which gains the Outlaws 5 extra points - what does that do FOR the other Outlaw players? Also keep in mind that you have a personal score unrelated to your faction's score.

I know you are familiar with roleplaying, so consider this: In a roleplay, conflict between the characters can be a good thing if the players use it in the right way. The way I see it, the Outlaws have a huge advantage over the other factions in that their members can work together to set up interesting storylines and creations with the virtually unlimited amount of conflict within their faction.

And it's not like conflict and outright war might happen within the other factions as well.

I'm not saying I don't see your points (and somewhat agree with them), but imo, all things considered, I think this is the best solution for everyone.

As for starting over with a new character, I don't see why that should be disallowed - but we don't want people going back and forth between factions either, so put some consideration into which faction you join. If you do switch, you probably can't go back to your original character later.
I was referring to global points for other members of your faction. If something a bandit creates gains points towards another getting more status within the faction, it seems counterintuitive to me. I guess it is my perspective, but as someone who has been creating an outlaw group for many years, I feel I understand the mentality. Again, just my perspective, and I am not screaming for change, just adding my two cents.

As for your last sentance, that is why I am asking so many questions. I want to use my Bear Claw faction, but not if it does not jibe with my idea of what they stand for. :wink:
richardanthonyc
Reeve

Post by richardanthonyc »

Shmails can start his own Mercenary faction :P
SIlent enim leges inter arma

[img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/lord-of-o ... asant4.jpg[/img]
shmails
Bard of the Royal Court

Post by shmails »

richardanthonyc wrote:Shmails can start his own Mercenary faction :P
Shmails IS his own mercenary faction!!! :roflol:
wobnam
Master Liliputian
Master Liliputian

Post by wobnam »

Global points are given to your faction only. If a member of your faction wins a global challenge, your faction will receive bonus points for this. The builder will receive personal points for this.

In other words, you winning a global challenge will not give personal points to any of the other members. Your builds can increase your personal points as well as your faction's total score only.