LCC Guild Hall - Information and Submission Thread

LEGO gaming, including group role playing games
shmails
Bard of the Royal Court

Re: LCC Guild Hall - Information and Submission Thread

Post by shmails »

I am planning a few builds ahead right now and have a question about the Mason's M1 challenge. It says:"1) Build a castle with an outer wall, an inner wall, and a keep." Do you really want us to build a massive castle with an outer and inner wall? It seems like that would be a huge build (64x64 at least) and I doubt many people have the bricks required to do that. An outer wall and inner wall indicates a walled city as much as a "castle".

I have a feeling that you meant an outer wall, an inner courtyard, and a keep which is much more manageable for the average builder and seems to make more sense in terms of difficulty (the masons guild is already the most challenging of the paths). Having an inner wall which is usually twice as high as the outer wall as well as a full keep inside of that seems like more than normal in terms of the requirements.

If I am not correct and the challenge is what is written, could you provide a few LEGO examples of what you were thinking so that I can better understand the scale of the build, thanks!
friskywhiskers
Landlord

Post by friskywhiskers »

krzyzak wrote:Here's for the master part!

[url]www.classic-castle.com/forum/viewtopic. ... =22583/url]
You are missing a bracket between the 3 and the forward slash. :)
AK_Brickster
Admin
Admin

Post by AK_Brickster »

shmails wrote:I am planning a few builds ahead right now and have a question about the Mason's M1 challenge. It says:"1) Build a castle with an outer wall, an inner wall, and a keep." Do you really want us to build a massive castle with an outer and inner wall? It seems like that would be a huge build (64x64 at least) and I doubt many people have the bricks required to do that. An outer wall and inner wall indicates a walled city as much as a "castle".
I actually did want to see an outer AND inner wall, plus keep, but you wouldn't have to build the whole thing. If your (or anyone else for that matter) brick supply is limited, you could build a section of the outer and inner walls, and half a keep w/ a cutaway section view on the back if you wanted to.

Ideas to maybe stretch your bricks a bit further would be to do a palisade outer wall so that you could save your gray bricks for the inner wall and keep.

The mason's guild definitely is the most parts-intensive guild, but that's part of the challenge, I think.

I hope that helps!
Plastics make it possible! (BrickLink) - My Flickr Stream
Courage, Honor, Loyalty! For Garheim!
shmails
Bard of the Royal Court

Post by shmails »

Thanks for the reply Ak, I understand what you are saying, and the Mason guild is certainly parts intensive. My problem is that the level of difficulty involved in the four guilds is way out of whack. Building a castle that large can take months to finish properly, and I have no issue with doing that, however it is not in line with the level of build required for the other three guilds. In comparison, the mage guild M1 challenge is to "Use magic to manipulate someone who holds a position of power" and the hero guild M1 is "Your hero presenting the treasure and slain beast to the king". Those can be built in a night or two and do not require anywhere near the level of planning and building that a full castle requires. If those other two involved something of the same scale of build it would be different.

Plus, after that I have to build a cathedral with flying buttresses. One or the other would still be the largest build in the guild format, but both back to back seems like more unfair in comparison to the others. I am not against building either, I am actually looking forward to it, but I think that the scale does not match the format of the other three.

Sorry if this sounds like railing against the other guilds or the guild master, I know I choose this guild, but After building a huge bridge, now a massive round tower and then thinking about the next three challenges has brought this issue up in my mind.
AK_Brickster
Admin
Admin

Post by AK_Brickster »

I definitely understand where you are coming from.

Keep in mind that for these guilds, you only get to do them once, so the fact that it takes a bit of time shouldn't really be considered an undue burden as much as part of the fun/challenge 8)

The fact is, I really wanted the master builds for each guild to take considerably longer to complete. They are worth pretty serious points, and should reflect every bit of skill that you possess. Even though this is most readily translated into several large building tasks for the Mason's guild doesn't mean that I don't expect everyone to put the same kind of effort and time into the master builds for the other guilds.

One of the nice things is that you are allowed to be in more than one guild at once (with certain stipulations), so if you think the Mason's Guild challenges are too time/brick intensive for you right now, you can always back-burner them to work on another build, or do more faction stuff, like the local challenges.

With the CCC coming up, you can also consider using your Mason master build challenges as a CCC entry, provided you follow any CCC rules for that sort of thing.

Build on! :D
friskywhiskers
Landlord

Post by friskywhiskers »

I hope you guys don't mind if I give my two cents on this, but let's re-examine the challenge for a second, shall we?
Master – 3 MOCs:
1) Build a castle with an outer wall, an inner wall, and a keep.
Note that nowhere in the challenge does it specify the scale that the MOC is built to. Correct me if I am wrong, but a detailed micro scale castle can be just as, if not more, impressive as a minifigure scale castle. I think that allowing people to build in Micro Scale would be much better then having them not have the satisfaction of mastering all four guilds because of part limitations. :)
AK_Brickster
Admin
Admin

Post by AK_Brickster »

Postby AK_Brickster » Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:54 pm
I hadn't really considered microscale, but I think that it will most likely be disallowed. I know that building in microscale presents its own unique challenges, but it wasn't really what I had in mind when I came up with these challenges. Building a curved surface gets a lot easier when you can just stack a bunch of 2x2 round bricks and call it a "turret".
Microscales most likely won't be allowed. There was plenty of discussion in the early going about how difficult the mason's guild was going to be, so it shouldn't really come as a surprise now that people are getting closer to the master challenges.

Really, what fun is there in being a "Master" of something if it's very easy to attain, anyway? :tasty:
friskywhiskers
Landlord

Post by friskywhiskers »

I understand, however I think you may be missing the point: Many members may not have the budget to obtain the parts required for the Master Mason's challenge. Are you really going to force people to buy the hundreds of grey bricks that are necessary for such a castle? You are basically excluding those with a limited budget like me and other TFOLs . I think that something Like this can be just as challenging as something like this. :)
shmails
Bard of the Royal Court

Post by shmails »

Thanks for the clarification AK, I will get to work on the castle asap! As for micro builds, I agree that they do not work, mostly because you must have your minifig and colors in the scene, which would make them forced perspective scenes by definition.

Anyhoo.....here is my entry for the Mason's Guild J3 Challenge:

Here is the topic thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=22637
AK_Brickster
Admin
Admin

Post by AK_Brickster »

Submissions list updated. Please check to make sure I've got everything for you and check your links to make sure I copied them all correctly :)

If I can ask one favor, it's great that everyone has been providing links so that I don't have to hunt for them. Can you also please post the title of your MOC when you post it here? That saves me from having to click on your thread to find out what your MOC is called. Not a big deal, but when I'm adding a dozen MOCs to the submissions list, it saves me a couple of minutes.

Thanks and keep up the good work!! :mrgreen:
Thomas Arrowford
Laborer

Post by Thomas Arrowford »

My Submission for Merchant's Guild M3 :D

Sol et Nix
Narrative (as usual) is on flickr
http://www.flickr.com/photos/68570980@N ... 676259054/
[img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/lord-of-orks/map/rankings/freeman3.jpg[/img] [img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/t-est/LCC-titles/Guilds/merchants3.jpg[/img]
[img]http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8120/8636932919_7220cc2cc9_m.jpg[/img]
gurusql
Foot Soldier

Post by gurusql »

Made for the Heroes Guild - Master Challenge 1 at LCC

Here is the link of to the forum.
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/40798201@N05/]Flickr[/url]
Hayden.
Reeve

Post by Hayden. »

I know its been said countless times before, but I can't for the life of me, find it, so How many builds can you enter per month?
konze
Freeman

Post by konze »

Hayden. wrote:I know its been said countless times before, but I can't for the life of me, find it, so How many builds can you enter per month?
AK_Brickster wrote:Lastly, as with any MOC, you must make sure that your builds have plenty of thought and effort put into them. This is about proving your skill, not racing to complete the tasks. For this reason, only two submissions will be accepted per month unless you have received special permission from the Guildmaster.
Thomas Arrowford
Laborer

Post by Thomas Arrowford »

For the Mason's A1 Challenge

Big Plans
and link to story http://www.flickr.com/photos/68570980@N ... 676259054/
[img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/lord-of-orks/map/rankings/freeman3.jpg[/img] [img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/t-est/LCC-titles/Guilds/merchants3.jpg[/img]
[img]http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8120/8636932919_7220cc2cc9_m.jpg[/img]