LCC - Garheim Official Faction Thread *We've Moved!*

LEGO gaming, including group role playing games
gurusql
Foot Soldier

Re: LCC - Garheim Official Faction Thread

Post by gurusql »

We did just have a cross-country dog-sled race, but some other ideas could be:
  • Wrestling
  • Toga hönk (which I think means something like tug of war)
  • Fishing competition
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/40798201@N05/]Flickr[/url]
Brother Steven
Master Builder
Master Builder

Post by Brother Steven »

A quick freebuild.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=22328

Working on my GC2 build. Should be done soon. :)
RichardAM
Merchant

Post by RichardAM »

I've got the idea and the bricks now I just need the time! Full intentions of entering GC2 though :)
AK_Brickster
Admin
Admin

Post by AK_Brickster »

Hey guys, sorry I've been slow in getting points and stuff updated. Work has been keeping me very busy. I will definitely get caught up this weekend.

That said, I've been thinking about our next challenge, and I'm thinking a fishing contest would be a fun idea. If people are good with that, then I'll work up the parameters tonight and try to get it posted for tomorrow!
Plastics make it possible! (BrickLink) - My Flickr Stream
Courage, Honor, Loyalty! For Garheim!
konze
Freeman

Post by konze »

I think there should be 2 (or more) categories:

1. Ice fishing
task: how many fish can you get
requirement: you need a drill
place: pond

2. High seas fishing
task: how big is your catch
requirement: you need a ship
place: open sea
AK_Brickster
Admin
Admin

Post by AK_Brickster »

I have an idea sort of like that, Konze. I think you guys will be pleasantly surprised ;)
Tastymuffins
Geoffrey of Monmouth

Post by Tastymuffins »

Here's my GC2 entry :D
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=22361
Eklund
Man-At-Arms

Post by Eklund »

Free build here:

The story is in the flickr description for those interested.

Moc thread here
You would rather be building right now.
ImageImage
My Flickr
Brother Steven
Master Builder
Master Builder

Post by Brother Steven »

AK_Brickster
Admin
Admin

Post by AK_Brickster »

Great job on the GC2 entries, guys! Keep up the good work!

Scores have been updated, and LC6 is now posted in the main thread. I'll post it here also for easy reference in case you have questions. This one is a bit more technical, for me at least, so if you see any glaring problems, please let me know ASAP so that they can be corrected/modified.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

**LC6 - Fishing Tournament**

The Challenge: Summer is upon us and has finally provided some meager relief from the harsh northern conditions. The winds have abated slightly, and in southern Garheim, the weather is almost pleasant. In celebration of surviving another cold winter, Jhirian Eindrik has declared a regional fishing tournament! What better way to celebrate the region's rich fishing history than to see who among us is the best at capturing these tasty denizens of the sea?

Requirements: Create up to 2 characters who will participate in the fishing contest. They can include your main LCC character, but that is not required, as some of our characters may be too busy searching for lost swords or saving towns from mysterious wyrms to participate. Make a short back-story for each character and post a picture of him/her/them with their fishing gear.

Each fisherman has certain skills that you must decide: Lure-making Skill, Fishing Technique, and Luck (something all fishermen need from time-to-time!)

Assign up to 6 points between the 3 skills, from 1-4 (each skill must be at least a value of 1). The higher the skill, the more rolls you'll be allowed for that part of the fish-catching process.

The second part of the challenge is to decide where you would like to fish. The regions vary in fish quantity, weather conditions, and the size of the fish in the area. A higher number in the first 2 categories indicates a higher level of difficulty. A higher number in the size category means that is the largest fish you can get in that area, from 1 being a small minnow to 6 being a literal sea-monster!

Your locations to choose from are (Quantity, Weather, and Size rankings follow):
Lake Mikithdar - Q 2, W 1, S 3 - A peaceful lake in summer, the conditions on the lake are fine and the fish plentiful. Many people from the capital and neighboring towns fish this area often though, so fish rarely have time to grow to immense sizes before being caught.
Gulf of Fishes - Q 3, W 2, S 4 - As it's name suggests, this is a great place to catch fish. It is a large body of water though, so there is some slightly choppy seas, and the fish move around in schools, making it sometimes tough to track them down in such an expansive habitat. Large fish from the ocean sometimes make their way into the bay, so good-sized catches are not uncommon.
Ice Fishing in the NW Coast - Q 1, W 1, S 2 - The weather in winter can be ferocious, but in summer, a small ice-fishing hut provides plenty of protection. The waters this far north are rarely fished, so this is the best place to catch something in all of Garheim, but since you have to pull it through your ice-fishing hole, the size of your catch is severely limited.
Jharton Bay - Q 4, W 3, S 5 - Off the Southwest coast of Garheim, there is some competition for the best fishing spots from large Lenfel ships, so finding the fish can be a bit tricky. Open water means that there are a few large waves present, so be careful. It also means that there are big fish to be found out there!
The Howling Seas - Q 2, W 6, S 6 - Due to the severe weather, this region is barely an option, even in the summer months. However, the Howling Seas supports one of the richest fish populations in all of Roawia, and some have said that the fish there are so large, they could swallow a man whole! Rich rewards may be found, IF you can live to tell the tale...

Example:
Fisherman Name: Grunch
Skills: Lure 2, Skill 3, Luck 1 (This character would get 2 rolls to lure in a fish, 3 rolls to successfully fight the fish, and 1 roll to determine the size of the fish.)

This fisherman has decent lure-making ability, so he gets 2 chances to hook a fish. Since the quantity of fish is ranked a 4 (moderately difficult), he must roll a 4 or higher to hook a fish.
Rolls: 3, 4 - Grunch hooks a fish!

The weather off the coast of Jharton is a little rough, but our man has good skill. He has 3 tries to roll higher than a 3 to overcome the conditions.
Rolls: 6, 2, 3 (catches fish)

The fish off of the coast of Jharton can be quite large, but Grunch is short on luck. He'll only get 1 roll to determine the size, which maxes out at 5 for this fishing spot.
Rolls: 5

Final Results of Example: Grunch catches a fish, and it's a big one! It looks like he used what little luck he had to max out his potential catch's size.

If you have any questions regarding how this works, please feel free to ask them in this thread, or PM me if you want to keep your strategy safe.
The winner will be whoever catches the biggest fish. If there is a tie, then the scores of the finalists' 2nd biggest fish will determine the winner.

Lastly, I've tried to make a good variety of places to fish, but it may come out that there is one region that is far superior to the others. If more than 4 people choose the same region, the quantity of fish in that region will be reduced by 1, due to heavy competition, so keep that in mind!
Also, your characters must fish in different location, and they must have different stats.

Reward: 2 points for entering, 2 for winning (largest catch), along with the esteemed title of "Champion of Fishes"! There will also be a runner-up award of 1 point for the person whos fishing duo has the best combined score, and 1 point for best entry.

Deadline: August 5th, 11:59 PST

EDIT: Added a new location to choose from to the main post (As seen below)

Kregand's Crater - Q 6, W 6, S 7 (sum of two rolls, up to 7) In the mountains north of Mikithdar, there is a deep pool, created by hotsprings. It is rumored to be the home of an enormous fish-monster, the size of a small ship. However, the surface waters are boiling hot, and even the best fishing gear won't last long. If you DO succeed in landing a fish, you'll get to roll twice and add the scores for a total of up to 7 for each luck point you have.

Basically, you'll have to roll 6's twice to have a chance at landing the biggest fish in Roawia! :o
Brother Steven
Master Builder
Master Builder

Post by Brother Steven »

(AK_Brickster)

This is going to be AWESOME!!! what a great idea!! :D
I will definitely be joining this!
Eklund
Man-At-Arms

Post by Eklund »

LC6 Entries Here:

Eylssa: Jharton Bay
Lure:2 Skill:2 Luck:2

Leif: The Howling Seas
Lure:1 Skill:3 Luck:2
You would rather be building right now.
ImageImage
My Flickr
AK_Brickster
Admin
Admin

Post by AK_Brickster »

Scores are updated. Please check your totals and let me know if you spot any issues. Thanks.

Also, gurusql pointed out to me for the fishing contest that I hadn't considered.

For areas with a size ranking of less than 6, any roll above the size limit for that area will be re-rolled until it falls within the range of available sizes for that fishing spot.

For example, if a fishing spot maxes out at size 3, any rolls greater than 3 will be discarded and re-rolled until it comes up either a 1, 2 or 3. In this way, you'll have an equal chance at getting a 1, 2 or 3, instead of a 1/6 chance at a "1", a 1/6 chance at a "2" and a 4/6 chance of a "3" or higher.

I think this will better represent what I was trying to accomplish when I set up the parameters for each zone. If anyone (Eklund) needs to change their character stats or fishing locations due to this adjustment, feel free to do so.

Thanks
gurusql
Foot Soldier

Post by gurusql »

LC6 - Fishing Tournament

Snorre Harang
Ability: Lure 2, Skill 1, Luck 3
Snorre Harang is the fourth son to a minor noble from Mikithdar. His family is rich enough that Snorre has no real responsibilities. He likes to use his spare time to fish in Lake Mikithdar. He has a little skill with a lure and knows his way about a fishing pole even if most of the time the hard work is done by his servants. This true gift is his luck at catching bigger fish than everyone else. (He is wearing red in the picture.)

Trygve Varanger
Ability: Lure 2, Skill 2, Luck 2
Trygve Varanger is a competent fisherman on spends his days on the Gulf of Fishes. he manages to bring in enough fish to feed his family and make a small profit. He does not focus on any one part of his craft more than another and would be considered and average fisherman on the Gulf. (He wears a hood to protect his balding head from the sun and spray.)

Thank AK_Brickster for setting this up and I am glad I did not have figure out the mental gymnastics on how my main LCC character was going to get here. :lol:
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/40798201@N05/]Flickr[/url]
konze
Freeman

Post by konze »

Here are my LC6 entries:

Svea Øresund
Gulf of Fishes
Lure: 2
Skill: 2
Luck:2

Henk Sjöberg