Outlaws-LC5-Commentary

LEGO gaming, including group role playing games
DarkTemplar
Leonardo

Outlaws-LC5-Commentary

Post by DarkTemplar »

UPDATE: Winners Announced- All rounds published

To avoid the possibility of upsetting the mods and the Outlaw Forum I figured it best to post the LC5 commentary here so that it could be commented on without distracting from the Outlaw forum :D .

Lord of Orks and I should but done with the rest of the challenge soon but until then here's the winner's of round one. As far as the commentary itself goes I tried to base it on as much of the battle as possible but add a bit of fun where the character's allowed. Therefore, the pace of the battle reflects that it was either a quick or a long one. Groo V Steward was particularly long and we nearly ended up calling it a draw, where as some only lasted one turn. The match ups were also done completely random but were mixed a bit to avoid members characters being pitted against each other. FYI this has not happened yet and we're at the point now where it can't happen. Anyway enjoy - and thanks for participating!

Round 1-

Steward V Groo Stoneskipper

Steward and Groo battled for what seemed like hours without either giving in. Groo was quicker and stronger but Steward put up a wall like defense, however, it was not enough against the agile Groo. Grew landed a punch square on the chin of Steward and Steward fell like a rock. Knocked out but he'll fight another day.
Winner - Groo

Natalia Blackwater V Duvalle

Natalia danced around Duvalle throwing continuous blows, alas Duvalle was an impenetrable fortress. Natalia's spirit was high but she'd come down from her grog buzz now and soon sunk to the floor feebly pounding on Duvalle's feet. Duvalle gave Natalia a shove and she rolled on to the floor unable to carry on.
Winner - Duvalle

Lokir the Jokester V Yorik Stoneskipper

Yorik a brave and noble warrior saw Lokir the Jokester laughing as brawlers knocked each other out. Lokir picked up a tomato from the table and through it across the room. It collided into a worn out patron and Lokir roared with laughter. Yorik unable to suffer this fool another second hurled a turkey leg across the room hitting Lokir square in the face. The oily meat slide off Lokir's face and he laughed again before jumping to his feat and beckoning to Yoirk. Yorik charged at the jester, the jester responded by hurling food at Yoriks charge. Yorik bounced the food off like it was nothing but he didn't see the banana peel on the fool. He slipped and crashed into the floor, knocking himself out. Lokir hooted, made a rude gesture at the fallen hero, and went back to his merry making.
Winner – Lokir

Stump V Boric

The two giants stood eye to eye. Growling and gnashing their teeth at each other; and then their blades collided. Stump pushed Boric back and he stumbled to the floor. Stump grinned as he walked towards fallen barbarian. Boric had his own smile, he then gestured to the other side of the room. Stump turned around and saw nothing but other brawlers. As he turned around Boric smashed a chair over his head. Stump fell to the ground his head bloody and his body lifeless, for he had forgotten why they called Boric the chair destroyer.
Winner - Boric

Sprinkles V Stranger

Stranger, feeling mysterious, decided to take a walk outside for a breath of fresh air and to pull away from the fighting. Outside he saw a horse named Sprinkles and thought to himself, what better way to mysteriously disappear. Sprinkles had always been taught not to offer rides to strangers, especially the mysterious ones, and swiftly kicked the stranger in the head as he approached. The stranger fell the ground. The next day a poster was put up stating that a John Doe was found outside in a comma. Anyone with further information should contact the barkeep.
Winner - Sprinkles

George V Gaston

Gaston, branding a candle stick was knocking out men by the groups. He let out a hearty laugh and felt a tug at his weapon. He turned around to see George the goat gnawing on the end. “Oy, let go,” he shouted. He shook the candle stick but the goat would not budge. He twirled it around and finally the goat let go. He started to laugh again but suddenly George retaliated with a head butt knocking Gaston down the cellar stairs. George went back to munching on the candlestick as Gaston lay unconscious as the foot of the stairs.
Winner - George

Lurk V Gorm the Small

Gorm the Small giggled as he quickly ran around Lurk and then under a table. Occasionally he ran up and pounded on Lurk's feet but Lurk stood firm. Lurk became infuriated and began to smash the tables and chairs to pieces. Gorm was now trapped in a corner and Lurk zoned in. “Eeeep,” exclaimed the little man as Lurk picked up him, whirled round three times and threw him out the window. “Now back to the real fight,” Lurk growled. He brushed his hands off and stepped back into the fray.
Winner - Lurk

Johnny V Walder

Johnny, a quick young lad zipped around the beastly Walder. He dashed back and fourth landing blows but Walder snarled and brushed them off. Unfortunately on Johnny's next pass Walder grabbed him by the collar and and chucked him out the bar. “A bar is no place for children,” growled the beast and he walked back in looking for another fight.
Winner – Walder

Muzah Ha'qar V Father Blackbriar

The two men met in the corner of the room, as if drawn together. It was time for the long and epic battle between the Assassins and the Templar’s to continue. “So you've found me assassin, lets see what you've got,” said Father Blackbriar. Muzah surged at Blackbriar but his blade met blackbriar's iron cross. As the two weapons were grinded together Blackbrair moved his medallion to catch the light and bounce it into Muzah's eyes. The assassin stumbled back and rubbed his eyes, "a dirty trick," he shouted. When he opened his eyes he saw the iron cross moving towards his head. He dodged, but it struck and broke his wrist. Injured and compromised he quickly darted out a window before the Templar could finish him off. “Another time assassin,” scoffed Father Blackbriar as he re-entered the fray.
Winner – Blackbriar

Fred V Gwagrah

The two monsters hurdled across the room towards each other; a savage beast and an intimidating troll. The two were equally matched but Gwagrah was swifter and smaller. The animal ran between the trolls legs and jumped up his back. Fred roared and flailed his firsts but could not reach the beast. Gwagrah then stunk his teeth into Fred's neck and jumped off. Fred clasped at his neck and stumbled towards Gwagrah, but fell dead to the floor after just two steps. Gwagrah howled and then search Fred for an appropriate Trophy to take back to the table where the rest of the Ironhand company sat.
Winner - Gwagrah

Rabbi Hellstein V Manfred

Manfred bounded around the room looking for a fight. He saw a Rabbi to the side reviewing a stone Tablet. He grabbed the tablet and threw it to the ground – shattering into 5 pieces. “Oy vey my stone tablet!,” exclaimed the Rabbi. Manfred sneered at the Rabbi but his sneer soon changed to fear as the Rabbi whirled around, pulled a crossbow from his person, pointed square at Manfred temple and pulled the trigger. Manfred fell to the floor and the Rabbi sunk to the floor to assess the damage.
Winner – Hellstein

Olaf the Brute V The Black Fawn

Olaf charged at the seductive Black Fawn and smashed down his hammer. The Black Fawn jumped over Olaf's head and landed behind him and thrust her blade forward only to hit his armor. Olaf then jumped back and fell on top of the Black Fawn and the two began to wrestle. Then suddenly they stopped and met eat others gaze. “What's the matter handsome, never seen a beautiful woman before”, jeered the Fawn. Olaf scowled back and then head butted her in the temple, knocking her out. He grabbed his hammer and raised to the floor to look for his next fight.
Winner – Olaf

Round 2-

Groo Stoneskipper V Duvalle

Groo looked around the room searching for brawlers still standing on their feet. His glance met the Ironhand beast Duvalle who glared back at him. Groo then charged at the beast failing his ax. He then jumped on a table and threw his weapon. Duvalle caught the weapon and threw it to the ground. Groo dived on the floor and slid towards his ax. As he picked up his axe, Duvalle through a punch and missed. Groo then stood up and flung his ax around and clashed the blunt end of his ax with Duvalle's skull. Duvalle fell to his knees holding his head. Groo crashed down the blunt end of his ax once again, knocking Duvalle out.
Winner – Groo

Lokir the Jokester V Boric

Lokir watched with glee as Boric smashed a chair over Stump's head. As Stump fell to the floor Lokir giggled and rolled on the floor laughing. Boric looked up and angerly glanced around the room looking for the source of laughter. Suddenly a Honeydew collided with Boric's head and shattered. Boric roared and made eye contact with the Lokir who could barely breathe he was laughing so hard. “You've laughed your last laugh clown,” roared Boric; pointing and finger at Lokir. Lokir chortled and rolled around in ecstasy. Suddenly he felt his body lifted into the air and looked around to see Boric holding him above his head. Boric sunk to one knee and dropped Lokir on his knee. A crack echoed through the room and everyone turned to see the clown quietly giggling on the floor. “I said enough laughing!” screamed Boric. He then smashed a chair over Lokir and the fool, for the first time in his life, fell silent.
Winner – Boric

George V Sprinkles

In the aftermath of Lokir's organic rampage, the ground lay littered fruit and vegetables. George the goat nibbled on a tomato and Sprinkles and walked in from outside and was munching on a shattered Honeydew. Suddenly both raised there heads to see a shiny red apple in the center of the room. Then there eyes met. George let out a triumphant “eheheheheh” and charged. Sprinkles whinnied and galloped toward the apple and quickly snatched it up in her teeth. George did not let up his charge and butted Sprinkles right in the rump. Sprinkles let out a nay and dropped her apple and ran out the door. George sank his teeth into the apple victorious and nonchalant.
Winner – George

Lurk V Walder

Walder scanned the room for real fight. He was looking to battle a great warrior, not another child. He saw a mighty warrior named Lurk searching for a challenge as well. The two warriors collided in the middle of the room wrestling. “It is nice to meet a worthy foe” grunted Lurk. “Aye,” barked Walder. “It's a shame it can't last longer,” added Lurk. Walder looked bewildered until he realized his feet were no longer on the floor. Lurk screamed and threw Walder across the room into a barrel of Grog. Walder was dazed and then the tap leaked upon his head. Now he was having just too much fun and rolled his head back and indulged in filling his belly with freshly brewed hops.
Winner - Lurk

Father Blackbriar V Gwagrah

Father Blackbriar was walking back into the fray when he felt a yank at his robe and tumbled onto the ground. He cross bounced across the floor. He heard a howl and saw the gnashing teeth and wild eyes of a beast from under a table. Blackbriar reached out for his cross, his fingers helplessly wiggled. He heard a snarl and turned around to see Gwagrah jump from under the table and pounce on his chest. Blackbriar opened his mouth to scream but quickly realized his throat was gone. He gasped and saw he blood glistening on Gwagrah's teeth and then lost consciousness.
Winner - Gwagrah

Rabbi Hellstien V Olaf the Brute

Hellstien was still collecting up his tablet from the floor. He was too busy to see the tall man behind him and weilding an 8 foot long maul. Olaf felt a sense of guilt as he contemplated hitting a man from behind but his adrenaline was high and his buzz was great so without a second thought he hurled his hammer down and knocked Rabbi Hellstien unconscious before he knew what hit him. Olaf was an outlaw and a brute deep down after all.
Winner – Olaf the Brute

Round 3 -

Groo Stoneskipper V Boric

Groo stroked his goatee and narrowed his eyes as he glanced around the room. He saw a ravenous man with broad shoulders pounding his fists on a table until the table began to crumbled under his might. Groo didn't give it a second thought – he must defeat this man. Quickly pranced across the room and flung his battle axe at the man. The man roared and turned around and caught the ax between his horns on his helmet. Groo met his glance to see a fiery wild glow about his eyes, the same glow one might see in a tiger's eyes before it pounced. Boric roared with all his might, picked up the lost and frozen shocked Groo and tossed him across the room. Groo collided into the wall, and rolled across the floor. He stumbled to his feet and threw a smaller ax at Broic, although through his dizziness he missed. Boric charged again this time he thrust his elbow into Groo's stomach. Groo spat out blood and collapsed to the floor. He looked up to Boric and then fainted.
Winner – Boric

George V Lurk

As Lurk strolled around the bar he suddenly heard a crunch noise. He looked under his foot to see a smashed apple. He heard a loud “Eheheheh!” and swung round to see a goat charging at him. He extended his burly arms and grabbed the goat by the horns. George flailed his head and stomped his hooves. Lurk, with all his strength, hurled the goat across the room. George then bounded back with another charge, Lurk caulked his fist and pounded George in the mandible; knocking the poor goat out.
Winner – Lurk

Gwagrah V Olaf the Brute

Olaf spotted a rabid beast feeding upon the corpse of the priest. He had felt a small tug on his conscious after knocking out Rabbi Hellstien from behind and now felt a sense of obligation to avenge this fallen warrior. Olaf raised his hammer and hurled his body towards Gwagrah. Gwagrah darted it's head around glared and at Olaf. Olaf was stunned by Gwagrah's piecing stare, but he shook his head, regained his nerve and charged. Gwagrah wasn't prepared and Olaf's hammer glanced off it's head. Gwagrah toppled to the floor, knocked out cold.
Winner – Olaf

Round 4 -

Boric V Lurk V Olaf the Brute

Three grunts now stood in the center of room full of fallen warriors. Lurk thumped his chest and let out a beastly outcry. At last the Lurk was going to get the battle he desired. Olaf then stepped forward and swung his hammer above his head and took a few intimidatingly sweeps in the air to show the magnitude his strength. Then Boric, the wildest of them all, picked up a stool and smashed it over his head and roared, “Bring it on you lot!” Olaf rushed in brandishing his hammer but Boric head butted him in the chest and Olaf fell backward onto broken table. Boric and Lurk stared menacingly at each other. Boric reaching for a friendly old chair let out a hearty laugh. As he swung it over his head Lurk responded with an almighty punch, shattering Boric's chair and causing him to stumbled backward in a daze. As he regained his footing, he surged forth but was abruptly halted as Olaf's hammer smashed his skull from above. Boric sunk to his knee's, his eyes rolled upward and he fell to the ground with a resounding thud. “Devious” grunted Lurk. Olaf quickly changed to a defense position with his hammer. Lurk picked up his ax and twirled it about and flung it down hard on Olaf's guard. Olaf staggered backward and Lurk threw his ax upward, hitting Olaf in chin. Lurk slashed at Olaf and Olaf continued to guard, but lost ground, until eventually his back slammed into the wall. Started he glanced back to the wall, then forward again for just enough time to see Lurk's forehead slam into his face. Olaf flew back into the wall, dropped his hammer and then slid to the ground. Lurk looked around and verified he was the only man standing. He let out a triumphant “GWAAAAA” and thrust his ax into the air. For he was the last man standing. He lowered his ax and then though to himself, “How did this begin again?”
Winner - Lurk

Results:
1st – Lurk
2nd – Olaf
3rd – Boric

Congratulations to the winners and thanks to all for participating!
Last edited by DarkTemplar on Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:26 am, edited 3 times in total.
AK_Brickster
Admin
Admin

Re: Outlaws-LC5-Commentary

Post by AK_Brickster »

Great narrative! My only request would be that for future rounds, the stats for the brawlers be provided along with the actual rolls so we can see how it works. Also, if there aren't too many, maybe pictures of the brawlers, (though) I understand if that's too difficult.

Great job! Looking forward to the next round!
Plastics make it possible! (BrickLink) - My Flickr Stream
Courage, Honor, Loyalty! For Garheim!
Daken the Bladesmith
Apprentice

Post by Daken the Bladesmith »

Sweet commentary :D Excellent job making all the fights unique and entertaining! I especially like the one with the goat :roflol:
My [url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/62669143@N02/]flickr[/url]
[img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/lord-of-o ... litia4.jpg[/img]
[img]http://www.marine-family.org/goodnews/31.gif[/img]Honor, Courage, Commitment. Semper Fi!
ZacharyIslazy
Bailiff

Post by ZacharyIslazy »

Wow great work guys! All the stories were funny, well put together, and all around just witty. I thought that we would just do the standard "here's the match-up, and here's the winner" but you guys did an outstanding job. "You don't even need to be part of the LCC to enjoy this!" as my brother stated in so many words.
If you guys ever need someone to help with the stories, I'm always (usually) available :) . The fact that the assassin and templar got matched up seems, fixed :twisted: but that's fine with me because I'm a big AC fan.

Oh! I totally forgot! Wow! I actually won! Twice! Everybody's entries were great, and I give my congrats to all the other winners. And to the people who didn't win, (there are no losers here :) ) Good luck next time! I'm sure there will be a next time too.
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/56307748@N02]Flickr[/url]
[img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/lord-of-o ... ttorso.jpg[/img]

Check out Lands of Roawia!
Burlogh
Peasant

Post by Burlogh »

These stories made my day :D Thanks so much, keep up the great work!
shmails
Bard of the Royal Court

Post by shmails »

Yorik slipped on a banana peel!?! I guess since I have seven bunnies that is fitting (they love their morning banana), oh well. :D

Wonderful job on the color commentary, loads of fun to read. I cannot wait for the rest of the rounds. Oh, and Groo would never have accepted a draw! 8)
Highwayman
Laborer

Post by Highwayman »

Wow, all three of my guys lost the first round! :twitch:

Haha. I enjoyed the commentary, DarkTemplar. It really fleshes out our world.
[img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/lord-of-o ... asant1.jpg[/img]
"Evening, madam. I'll be having your bricks now, if you please." - The Highwayman

[url=http://www.mocpages.com/home.php/66812]MOC Page[/url]|[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=Highwayman]Brickshelf[/url]
Balamorgineas
Peasant

Post by Balamorgineas »

Wow! This is better than expected. I loved the effort you put into the stories.
Even though all three of my brawlers lost, I will definitely stick around for the next rounds.

I will echo AK's request for extra info. Even if it's just a link to the player's original picture.

Oh, and Steward would totally have taken a draw. He is half-Loreesi after all.
Ecar
Villein

Post by Ecar »

A very fun read. Man, how did I create someone as jerk-ish as Manfred? The way he was acting, he deserved to lose.
Oh well, I still have Boric, and you know they don't call him the destroyer of chairs for nothing!
"let sleeping Dragons lie"
[img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/lord-of-o ... asant1.jpg[/img]
DarkTemplar
Leonardo

Post by DarkTemplar »

Thanks for the comments everyone, we really had fun hosting this challenge. Again the match up's were random that fact that Father Blackbriar started off as a Templar priest only occurred to me when I was writing the story afterwards - Scouts Honor :) .
AK_Brickster wrote:Great narrative! My only request would be that for future rounds, the stats for the brawlers be provided along with the actual rolls so we can see how it works. Also, if there aren't too many, maybe pictures of the brawlers, (though) I understand if that's too difficult.

Great job! Looking forward to the next round!
I think it's definitely a good idea to help with the mechanics and understanding unfortunately LCC chat kept kicking us out :(. Also with the amount of characters I think it would have been too over cumbersome, the stories alone are draining me. Some of the battles alone took about 20 rolls before a conclusion was reached. We've learned a lot though. Next time round agility will make much more of a difference and we'll give a lot more points out,maybe 9. Attack stats of 1 were the biggest killer, so it was really refreshing when we came to a characters with an attack of 4 or higher. Next time we might publicize the fight a bit more on LCC chat so everyone can see whats going on, how it works, and cheer their characters on to victory; but we'll see. We'll be having an Outlaws style once a month from now on!

Anyway we're just about finished up now.We do have a winner, I'm just finishing up the stories; so you should all know by tomorrow evening :D.
ZacharyIslazy
Bailiff

Post by ZacharyIslazy »

DarkTemplar wrote: Next time we might publicize the fight a bit more on LCC chat so everyone can see whats going on, how it works, and cheer their characters on to victory; but we'll see.
Maybe in the challenge info there could be a designated time where everybody who wanted to watch could get on the forum, and get in a chat, and see what happens roll by roll. It seems pretty hard to organize, and pretty energy intensive for the rollers, but we could invite all the factions, and even non-LCC members to watch. Or maybe if the chat isn't cooperating, we could use a different site to host the chat, such as Skype maybe? Just throwing it out there. Something that would be quite fun even if there was just 4 or 5 people to root for their favorite fighters. Trash talking galore. :twisted:

If you followed that all the way through, without, or even with re-reading parts, welcome to the dark insanity that is my mind. :lol:
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/56307748@N02]Flickr[/url]
[img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/lord-of-o ... ttorso.jpg[/img]

Check out Lands of Roawia!
Burlogh
Peasant

Post by Burlogh »

Are you really use real dices and run this manually? O.o I thought it is scripted and fully automatised. Respect you crazy fanatics ;)
shmails
Bard of the Royal Court

Post by shmails »

Woohoo, two for two in round two! Doing some quick math it looks like round four will have three fighters, how is that gonna work? Great job so far guys!
DarkTemplar
Leonardo

Post by DarkTemplar »

Wow lot of questions :0!

Should we go public?
The big issue with publicizing is going to be the added commentary. Although it would be nice, it has to be done in a controlled manner or it would be hard to tell what's going on. It's also not the easiest process and human error is still and issue so keeping it private makes it easier to deal with - for now.

Could it be a program?
Sure it could. We could have it set up so we just input all the stats, it run and have it print the results. But it's a long and lengthy program and programing was always my least favorite subject. There's also an aspect of fun to manually staging the battles, so while that stays true (Boolean pun intended) we'll probably continue to do it manually. I did end up writing a random number generator program because I'm a bad dice dice roller but with that regard, to each his own.

How do you handle three fighters?
Story wise a three person FFA, winner take all! Simulation wise we ran every possible scenario and tallied the winner a the character with the best score out of those simulations. If it was completely equal we either would have redone it or said everyone was knocked out and it was a three way tie :p. As an FYI it actually worked out that first won two of the three simulations, second won one and third lost all three. I should have resulting stories posted today though, after which lord or orks will award points.
AK_Brickster
Admin
Admin

Post by AK_Brickster »

Nice job with the final rounds. You really did a nice job of making this much more entertaining than previous head-to-head contests.

Keep up the good work! :mrgreen:
Plastics make it possible! (BrickLink) - My Flickr Stream