Global Challenge VI - A Glimmer of Hope (Preparation)

LEGO gaming, including group role playing games
AK_Brickster
Admin
Admin

Re: Global Challenge VI - A Glimmer of Hope (Preparation)

Post by AK_Brickster »

For now, max dimension in any direction is 32. Min dimension in any direction is 20.

Anything outside of those parameters would go in the unrestricted category. It keeps things simpler that way.

Tambor, you may not kill the Queen's troops for this challenge. You'll get a chance to do that soon enough ;)
Plastics make it possible! (BrickLink) - My Flickr Stream
Courage, Honor, Loyalty! For Garheim!
Caelan
Aquarian

Post by Caelan »

AK_Brickster wrote:.... you may not kill the Queen's troops for this challenge. You'll get a chance to do that soon enough ;)
Oh bummer! I'll have to rethink my planned entries then. But it's been sooooo long since Caelan's gone medieval on some bad guys :lol:
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/80813941@N08/]My Flickr Account[/url]
John 3:16
DrakkVonLego
Villein

Post by DrakkVonLego »

There are plenty of "bad guys" to go to war against besides the queen's army. The smug loreesi, the rugged members Garheim, and of course unaligned monsters/thieves. It's all relative

-Drakk
"The desire of gold is not for gold. It is for the means of freedom and benefit." -R. W. Emerson
"Mmmm, gold." -Drakk
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/101527150@N07]Flickr[/url]
SSchmidt
Merchant

Post by SSchmidt »

Don't forget the tree huggers too Drakk!

Anyways, do we post the entries in the Castle MOC's forum and then link them to this thread? Do we need to post all the entries or once, or do we post them one at a time? Thanks in advance!
PSN: SSchmidt-
[img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/lord-of-orks/map/rankings/copy_of_lionhearttorso.jpg[/img]
[img]http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2807/9561546705_8f26947042_o.jpg[/img]
AK_Brickster
Admin
Admin

Post by AK_Brickster »

As usual, you will post your entries into your own faction thread and factions will select finalists in the three subcategories. You can provide links and/or pics in this thread as well. I don't really care if you post them one at a time or all at once. Just make sure that the first one you post has your character in it.
theboywarrior
Steward

Post by theboywarrior »

AK, I saw the comment on killing and capturing troops, but Marius' story-line in the revolution actually involves open resistance, in fact a defensive siege situation...What do you think? :?
Some folk we never forget
Some kind we never forgive
Haven’t seen the back of us yet
We’ll fight as long as we live

[img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/lord-of-o ... tizen2.bmp[/img]
AK_Brickster
Admin
Admin

Post by AK_Brickster »

Not killing the queen's troops has been the rule this whole time. I was merely reiterating for those just joining us. If you've written your story in conflict with that longstanding rule, I don't really know what to tell you.

A defensive situation isn't as bad as overt aggression, but one of the major premises of the Queen's ability to hold power over Roawia is the fact that she has hostages as leverage and we all should be doing our best to make sure nothing happens to them. It would be pretty unfortunate if the actions of one Lenfel resulted in the death of Lord Triphian. I doubt your fellow Lenfels would look kindly on you if your resistance was the cause of something like that....
theboywarrior
Steward

Post by theboywarrior »

Okay. I'll figure something out. :) Just wanted to clarify.
Some folk we never forget
Some kind we never forgive
Haven’t seen the back of us yet
We’ll fight as long as we live

[img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/lord-of-o ... tizen2.bmp[/img]
Reaver15
Peasant

Post by Reaver15 »

Awesome GC! Seems like things are heating up quite a bit. Time to put down some rabble-rousing rebels!
Into the fires of battle!
Unto the anvil of war!
Tambor
Villein

Post by Tambor »

May I ask who's the current leader of Garheim because Jhirian Eindrik is imprisoned by the queen.
It's important for my first entry to know who leads Garheim at the moment.

EDIT: I've changed my story for the first build, so it's not that important anymore. :wink:
Lord Mercat
Laborer

Post by Lord Mercat »

Desperate times sometimes call for desperate measures.
A favored quote of tyrants and dictators the world over. You cannot give up your morality, else what exactly is it that you are fighting for? If you give in on this, everything else means nothing- Chartres might as well be Queen Galanir- for what is the different if the means are the same? The ends do not justify the means- if you are willing to break your greatest rule, why then do you even care about such things as the hostages- you have already failed them by giving in to magic, why do their lives matter if they will not be released into a Roawia that stands against evil, but rather a Roawia that rules by hypocrisy, whose ruling class would employ magic yet deny it to the people as a cardinal sin? You cannot allow the enemy to cause you to change your ideals- you must hold firm, most of all in your darkest hour. If you can stand by your beliefs, even when the night is darkest- that is something that people can respect, and believe in. It is inspirational, uplifting, and promotes hope that Roawia will once again be bathed in the light of dawn. You cannot give in.
Does anyone else have a better idea for how to defeat a villainous Queen and her master wizard??
While I may not be a member of LCC (though I do greatly enjoy reading and viewing about it), I have to agree with those expressing distaste for the idea to utilize a magic sword to overthrow her. (Although the fallout from this may just be a good followup storyline should it work). Even if these are extenuating circumstances, if you fall to the queen's level, you are no better than she is- you know what they about those who hunt monsters- be careful, lest you become a monster yourself. Allowing yourself to break this cardinal rule of Roawia, no matter who you are, no matter the circumstances (especially if you are a noble, one to whom others look to for example), makes it all too easy to justify illegal actions, and "extenuating circumstances" quickly become an everyday thing. Using magic to defeat the queen would be a sign of cowardice and show in young Chartres a blatant willingness to defy the very laws he would supposedly uphold. Even if the sword wasn't actually magic, and he merely pretended it was to gain followers or power, the damage has already done and he has broken the trust of his subjects by both lying to them, and giving the impression he was willing to use magic. Further still, the use of magic would mean that even if the queen lost command of Roawia, she won the ideological war, by virtue of you using a page from her own foul playbook to win.

Since magic was at some point driven out, and for quite some time was rather ineffective, it stands to reason that there was something that enabled the people of Roawia to fight back against those capable of wielding magical powers. One idea could be to rediscover how to forge some lost material that provided natural protection against the magical arts, something such as Nullsteel, which is a unique forged steel variant I've used myself in several tabletop rpgs, that disrupts magical power.

A better idea however (at least IMO) would be to simply seek out the ancient arts that were used to defeat magic originally. Band together great talents from all over the region and form an elite group of witch-hunters of sorts- warriors who are trained to fight wielders of magic, but do not use it themselves. I think this would prove to be the best solution. magic CAN be bested without its use. It is not an instant win ticket, otherwise why would the queen need an army? One merely needs the knowledge and training to defeat them (witches and wizards), the same as any other tactic. There have to be tomes or records of techniques to fight users of magic, or orders/organizations that may still exist in secret, long forgotten, but still willing to share their knowledge and abilities with the people of Roawia now that they are needed once more. Seek them out!
Sir Valiant
Archer

Post by Sir Valiant »

Desperate times sometimes call for desperate measures.

A favored quote of tyrants and dictators the world over. You cannot give up your morality, else what exactly is it that you are fighting for? If you give in on this, everything else means nothing- Chartres might as well be Queen Galanir- for what is the different if the means are the same? The ends do not justify the means- if you are willing to break your greatest rule, why then do you even care about such things as the hostages- you have already failed them by giving in to magic, why do their lives matter if they will not be released into a Roawia that stands against evil, but rather a Roawia that rules by hypocrisy, whose ruling class would employ magic yet deny it to the people as a cardinal sin? You cannot allow the enemy to cause you to change your ideals- you must hold firm, most of all in your darkest hour. If you can stand by your beliefs, even when the night is darkest- that is something that people can respect, and believe in. It is inspirational, uplifting, and promotes hope that Roawia will once again be bathed in the light of dawn. You cannot give in.
Absolutely! One reason that I signed up for this is that my character can live in a land that is not overrun by magic, like pretty much every other make-believe world is. As to a solution, I know not of one, but do agree with Lord Mercat that if you use magic to fight against magic you have lost your morality as a leader. I think Caelan's suggestion that we expose the Queen as someone who uses magic and as Bro Steven said to unite fight against it. Roawia has always been a land that has looked down upon the use of magic. If we use it to attack the queen, than what prevents any ordinary knight to use it when he attacks Lenfald, Loreos, or Garheim. And who gets to say whose magic is more powerful. It takes away the realistic idea of having to actually plan and strategize to fight and win a war. With magic, you have unrealistic powers that make you win, because you can accomplish unrealistic feats.
I also personally think it is more appealing to be courageous, valiant, and strong to win wars. That's what draws me to the love of the medieval wars and battles. I love the stories of underdog armies and people who win because they were fair, truthful, and just. Men who performed acts of courage and used amazing battle strategies. To resort to evils side, just to win the battle, seems wrong to me. Just some ideas...
"Soli Deo Gloria"
Sir Valiant~ ----------[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/93632612@N08/]Flickr[/url]
ludzik
Steward

Post by ludzik »

Here's my GC VI entry - Lenfald

Restricted - Meeting with the Master of Stone
As rebellion against the queen is nearing sir Kejtar seeks out Orok, the Dwarf Master of Stone who was responsible for the last rounds of improvements to the battlements of his castle. He is hoping that Orok will out of retirement and take the commission of reviewing and reinforcing the castles defenses.

Vignette - Inspecting the castle walls
Thinking about a small entry for the GC VI I figured that I could tie the Vignette and a Restriced scene together. Since in the Restricted scene my character is meeting with a Master of Stone to talk about improvements of the battlements, I figured that here sir Kejtar can actually spend some time giving the castle walls himself a once over to make sure everything is good and ready and nothing got overlooked.

Last edited by ludzik on Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ludzik
Steward

Post by ludzik »

I'm confused.... from the LCC General Information and FAQ it states that the scoring is as follows:

SCORING

Code: Select all

GLOBAL SP             PERSONAL SP         LIMIT
                Entering    Winning    Entering    Winning
Global Challenge    5         20           5         10        1/2 months
Local Challenge     -          -          1-4       3-12       1-4/month [1]
Free Build          -          -           2          -        2/month

GUILDS:
Apprentice build    -          -           1          -        [2]
Journeyman build    -          -           3          -        [2]
Master build        -          -           5          -        [2]
which contradicts
AK_Brickster wrote: Rules:
There are three size categories that you can enter. You may enter as many or as few of the categories as you wish. Limit one entry per category, three entries max.
Vignette / Fig Scene – Max size 8x8 (including border) – 1 personal points / global points per entry
Restricted Scene – Min size 20x20, Max size 32x32 – 3 personal points / global points per entry
Unrestricted Scene – Min size 33x33, no maximum – 5 personal points / global points per entry

Scoring:
As usual, each faction will select finalists, this time there will be one finalist per size category, three finalists per faction.
Global winner will be determined from a weighted vote total. Votes for your faction’s vignette finalist will count as +1 per vote, votes for the restricted finalist will be +2 per vote, and votes for the story finalist will be +3 per vote received. The winning faction will be the one who receives the highest weighted vote total among all three categories.

So, for example (using Outlaws (O) and Garheim (G) for simplicity)
Vignette - O: 4 votes, G: 2 votes (x1)
Restricted - O:3 votes, G: 3 votes (x2)
Story - O: 2 votes, G 4 votes (x3)

Total votes for Outlaws: 4+6+6 = 14
Total votes for Garheim: 2+6+12 = 20

So... is the GC scored at 5 points or the entry in the main thread should be that GC is scored up to 5 points per entry category?
AK_Brickster
Admin
Admin

Post by AK_Brickster »

This is a new scoring system. The scoring will be as-specified in the challenge details for all future challenges. This may vary from challenge to challenge, depending on the parameters and what we feel is a fair reward for the amount of effort we anticipate will be required.
Please disregard the old system. Wobnam is no longer around, so we don't have any way to update that post (sans Admin involvement).

For this challenge:
Vignette / Fig Scene – Max size 8x8 (including border) – 1 personal points / 1 global points per entry
Restricted Scene – Min size 20x20, Max size 32x32 – 3 personal points / 3 global points per entry
Unrestricted Scene – Min size 33x33, no maximum – 5 personal points / 5 global points per entry

So if you enter all three categories, you can earn up to 9 personal points for yourself and 9 global points for your faction.

Current faction standings (global point totals) are as follows:
(GC1+GC2+GC3+GC4+GC5 = total)
Lenfald - 45+30+75+80+55 = 285
Loreos - 40+40+42.5+85+75 = 282.5
Garheim - 55+45+60 +35+75= 270
Outlaws - 25+40+32.5+20+55 = 172.5