LCC- Why did you choose your Faction?

LEGO gaming, including group role playing games
DungeonsAndFlagons
Villein

Re: LCC- Why did you choose your Faction?

Post by DungeonsAndFlagons »

I discovered LCC via the 'Join Garheim' ads in Flickr that people were posting and joined solely based on the Faction descriptions. I only knew of one or two builders that were in LCC so my faction decision wasn't based on that.

I chose Garheim because of the following:
- I live in Sweden so It seemed a good fit.
- I have a lot of Star Wars Hoth Sets so I have a good amount of white bricks.
- the other factions didn't appeal. Lenfald's and Outlaw colours didn't inspire me and Loreos's terrain and architecture style was not something I was interested in working with.

Having said all of that my new character which is replacing Ranyx Hökberg is located on the border of Garheim/Lenfald so terrain and architecture wise I am not going to be doing a lot of snowy coniferous scenes and will I suppose be a hybrid of classic mainland european style and the north. Garheim's colours are also a bit conservative but that is why I am bringing the Dragon Masters and Black Knights into my new story. Put a bit of colour in there.

All in all though I am happy to be in Garheim and look forward to more build challenges. :)
Buurli
Foot Soldier

Post by Buurli »

I choose Loreos.

Here are some reasons:
-I wanted to try out something new,so Lenfald was definitely a no go.
-I love the arabian/middle east style, but when I joined I almost had no parts or figs for it (for example, I didn't own a single palm leave).
-Mark was a great inspiration for me, so I liked to be in the same guild as he is.
-Who doesn't like beaches with palms and bronzed women? :lol:

So I liked to be in Loreos, but I also missed building other stuff. Some time later I joined the Guilds of Historica (on EB). There I signed up for Mitgardia, which is similar to Garheim. So I was now also in a snowy guild/faction. Recently we have been able to switch guilds and I choosed Avalonia (=Lenfald).
Until now, I have all factions/guilds covered but the outlaws... but my LEGO career isn't over yet! :)
Brickninja
Here there be dragons

Post by Brickninja »

I joined Garheim for a couple of reasons. First, I wanted my character to have my name, and Ian is a Scottish name. Second, it seemed like their weren't enough people in Garheim compared to other factions. I originally considered joining Lenfald, but now I'm glad I didn't because I can see Lenfald is overpopulated. Third, I like the Nordic/Viking/Celtic/Highland feel of it.
Andared of Lenfald
Foot Soldier

Post by Andared of Lenfald »

A really great topic idea. So far I've loved getting to see the thoughts behind why people chose their respective factions.

I found out about the LCC by Mark of Falworth. I honestly don't even remember how I found out about Mark, but all I know is that when browsing through his photos, he mentioned the LCC in a couple of them, and I decided to check it out.
When I was trying to decide on a faction, it was really a no-brainer for me. Loreos had little appeal to me, because my collection does not really support that style of building. I like the Nordic feel of Garheim, and if it were rocky instead of snowy, it might have won me over, but like Loreos, I don't really have enough white pieces to be able to do "proper" Garheim builds. Outlaws looked somewhat fun to me, but I knew that when I joined the LCC I wanted to tell a story about a hero, and I didn't really care to follow the stereotypical "I'm technically an outlaw but really a good guy" route. For Lenfald it was completely different, I absolutely love forests, plains, and the architectural style that Lenfald provides. It also seemed to have a really wide variety of landscapes. You have dark and foreboding places like the Wandering Woods and the ruins of Elavia, the majestic yet fearsome Dragonscale mountains, and the peaceful beauty of Everlyn's Tears lake.

The only thing I don't like quite as much about Lenfald is the fact that it is not really considered to be a dangerous place. For Loreos, you have the ever present threat of the outlaws from the south, as well as the tyrannical dictator Jarius ( :wink: ), and some sketchy used camel salesmen. Garheim doesn't have quite as much of an outlaw problem, but the "natural" dangers for that faction are just as real. Lenfald on the other hand, is almost (to my mind), like the promised land, where nothing bad really ever happens. Sure, the Wandering Woods is cracked up as this spooky forest, but hardly anyone in Lenfald or the LCC in general does anything with it. I think this is part of the reason for why my story with Andared maintains a darker and more serious tone than most of what you see on the LCC. I love to tell convicting and thought-provoking stories, and I also like to show that Lenfald, like the rest of Roawia, has its own dangers and troubles to deal with.
It would be criminal for me to leave this subject without mentioning Mitah val Karem, who has been a huge inspiration to me, and who's work I greatly admire. He is, to my mind, the most unique and fascinating builder in all of LCC, because his building style and MOCs are so different from everyone else. He almost exclusively works in darker colors and themes, and I love to look at his representations of Lenfald and Roawia as a whole.

I think, as a final thought, that one thing I really like about Lenfald and Lenfels is our attitude toward others. Generally speaking, I always think of Lenfald as having a "You leave us alone and we'll leave you alone" mentality. I also feel like magic and magical creatures aren't really as "taboo-ish" in Lenfald. I'm not saying we straight up allow it, I'm just saying we don't really try to stop it either.

To sum it up, Lenfald was practically a perfect fit for my style and personality.
Ian...
Villein

Post by Ian... »

I only recently discovered this and decided to join. I'm pretty good with trees and foliage, so naturally Lenfald would be a great faction for me, so naturally I did the exact opposite. I joined Loroes because I always like to challenge myself, even when I don't need to. :roflol: Another thing that helped me out is that I always like the thought of a Gallant Knight on Horseback, with a large pike in his hands. So that's how I chose. Nice topic by the way.
For the Glory of Loreos!
[img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/lord-of-o ... asant3.jpg[/img]
[url=http://www.mocpages.com/home.php/88749]MOCpages[/url]
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/98668750@N03/]Flickr[/url]
Tambor
Villein

Post by Tambor »

Well, that's a nice topic.
I choose Garheim as my faction because:

- Lenfald an Loreos were closed the time I joined the LCC roleplay.
- I have/had quite a lot of Fantasy Era crown kinghts and soldiers.
- I like the Northern Mythology.
- I played Skyrim the time I joined so I had a lot of inspiration.
- Especially Brother Stevens MOCs convinced me to join Garheim.
Luke the Swift~
Bailiff

Post by Luke the Swift~ »

For me it was a close call. I almost joined Loreas actually. I felt however that the arrogance of the desert dwellers was too much for me to bear. So I went to a more [slightly] humble faction.. Lenfald and, also as honorable. One thing that did affect me was my own Lego collection, as much as I hate to admit it. I was much more geared towards forest rather than desert. My mini-figures as well were more geared towards Lenfald so.. That is why I chose Lenfald and, I have never doubted my decision once

This is slightly off topic but, how long have you been leading Garheim AK?
[img]http://images.mocpages.com/user_images/71646/1384380205m_SPLASH.jpg[/img]
AK_Brickster
Admin
Admin

Post by AK_Brickster »

Since before there was a "Garheim", young pup. ;)
Plastics make it possible! (BrickLink) - My Flickr Stream
Courage, Honor, Loyalty! For Garheim!
Gavin of Lockwood
Archer

Post by Gavin of Lockwood »

I really like this topic idea, Mercat.

I found out about LCC through Mark of Falworth, as many have I imagine. I loved his MOCs, but I wasn't ready to try castle at that point. After a few months, finding more and more people involved in LCC, I decided to join.

I picked Outlaws because of the free dress code, mainly. And because I felt Loreos was a little too arrogant, like someone else mentioned. Don't get me wrong, Loreos is an awesome faction, my character is pro-Loreos, and I have good friends in Loreos, but I felt it was a little much. My second choice was the Outlaws, because of the free dress code as I mentioned, and I wanted my character to be able to use magic. So, in a nutshell.

Loreos: a little too arrogant for me, no offense.
Lenfald: a very cool faction, but I didn't have enough foliage at that point to effectively create good MOCs for it.
Garheim: didn't have enough white pieces for snow, and I still don't! :P
Outlaws: I wasn't happy with the fact that the Outlaws were the underdogs, the faction that was beat up all the time (in fun, of course). But the free dress code, the ability to basically build anything you wanted in building styles, etc., were what drew me into the Outlaws.
[img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/lord-of-orks/map/rankings/citizen1.bmp[/img][img]http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7376/10295458854_798b684812_m.jpg[/img]
-Omnibus pro Deo.
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/classical_jazz_piano]My Flickr[/url]
Luke the Swift~
Bailiff

Post by Luke the Swift~ »

AK_Brickster wrote:Since before there was a "Garheim", young pup. ;)
HAHA! :roflol:
Yes I am a rather young chap! I must say you do a marvelous job at keeping the LCC moving smoothly. I think without you things might be quite a bit more difficult without you. I also really like the Nordic feel to Garheim as well. But your character has a really good balance between that viking type of feel, and then keeps that almost more down to earth feel. As in not complete Whino mountain man feel.
[img]http://images.mocpages.com/user_images/71646/1384380205m_SPLASH.jpg[/img]
Becheman
Serf

Post by Becheman »

To echo everyone else, nice idea!

Deciding which faction was perhaps more tricky for me than most as, being a digital builder (I live on the other side of the world to my bricks, hey ho) I couldn't use the "I had more parts" line. As with most of us, it seems, I found LCC from having Mark as a contact/following him (grr, Flickr, grr) on Flickr ages ago, and saw that he, and then others, were churning out piles of good, themed castle builds. It took two CCCs to join LCC - my own caslte 'storyline' was petering out and LCC stepped in the fill the breach.

I was originally going to join Loreos, as most of the builds I had seen had that theme and I like the heavily armoured look, but I was put off slightly by the more eastern style. I was also considering Garheim as I love fjords, but didn't like the idea of that much snow. I'd never been one for magic but the scope for a custom faction within the Outlaws was tempting. However, as I said, my own ideas were running dry. Lenfald, however, fitted my previous 'theme's' building style and offered the chance to have a bit of snow and, if needed, sand, covering the need to get out of the forest every now and again whilst keeping the alpine/western architecture. Perfect!
[img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/t-est/LCC-titles/Lenfald/lenfald2.jpg[/img]

Flickr: [url]http://www.flickr.com/photos/37535413@N05/[/url]
Melted Bricks
Gong Farmer

Post by Melted Bricks »

Lovely topic!

So why have I chose Garheim?
Here's why: I love the whole Idea of having a nordic character as I like their civilization and culture
I really fancy blue and snow
I had a lot of pieces for this Faction besides having more red pieces, but a I said (I love the nordics!)
So here are the reasons of chosing this mighty faction!

Farewell
Gudleif
gurusql
Foot Soldier

Post by gurusql »

Choosing Garheim was a quick and easy decision for me:
  • The challenge of building in the snow and rocky terrain (I always want to improve in this area)
  • Fan of Norse mythology
  • Blue is my favorite color
It was simple, quick and instant decision that I have not second guessed! :D
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/40798201@N05/]Flickr[/url]
BiggerJim
Apprentice

Post by BiggerJim »

I watched the LCC for a long time before joining. Lenfeld style is my natural style so I stayed away from that faction. I wanted to branch out more. Loreos didn't do much for me. Didn't want to be an outlaw. Garheim I think just was right for me. I style that would stretch me, a new landscape style to me and great cultural influences.
[url=http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=biggerjim]My store[/url] [url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/biggerjim/]My Flickr[/url]
MOC's come and go....But sorting is forever.
peggyjdb
Royal Chronicler

Post by peggyjdb »

Well I didn't really get to chose which faction :) Mattiusxavier persuaded me to join up to Loreos.

I'm now trying to get up to speed with what's going on!