Classic-Castle Roleplay Planning: March 2005

LEGO gaming, including group role playing games
Lord_Of_The_LEGO
Earl of Wells

Post by Lord_Of_The_LEGO »

A note to all:

Appearently the CC forums have been hacked somewhat, but no data has been lost. As a safty precaution, I have going to save the raw messages any way as back up. I suggest all of you save posts your posts on your computer from now on just in case.

%&#$*^%#% hackers. :x
In the process of converting to [url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/nathanwells/]Flickr[/url].
TheOrk
Master

Post by TheOrk »

Lord_Of_The_LEGO wrote:A note to all:

Appearently the CC forums have been hacked somewhat, but no data has been lost. As a safty precaution, I have going to save the raw messages any way as back up. I suggest all of you save posts your posts on your computer from now on just in case.

%&#$*^%#% hackers. :x
I pretype all my rp related info before hand, so I'm good, I suggest anyone who doesn't should from now on.
%$^^%*^&@#%#^%$&%^&^%^%* hackers in #$%#^%^& :wink:
The Green Knight
Reeve

Post by The Green Knight »

Hackers huh? That's awful. What do people have to gain from hacking a lego site? Maybe it's some sicko who never had any legos as a kid. Or maybe it's those megablox people. No! Wait a minute! Hatered of Castle lego, skills with computers and hacking. That's it!

"IT'S THE SPACERS!!!!!!!"

Naw I'm sure they're above that. I hope... :|

BTW Micheal...
A war is a runaway train, and you're tied to the smokestack if you get involved.
I think you're right about that. And the same thing could be said for making "King" charecters. Sure you have complete control of a faction and can take charge of any wars that may come your way. But then again, you can't always go out on your own solitary adventures. Gib's sort of like that with the Neverwood, only to a lesser extent.

Sometimes I think that the Roleplay itself is a runaway train. You may get tired of writing a certain charecter but you like him so much you can't bare to see him go into limbo(become stagnant). And if you have twelve characters running around with their own adventures it can get pretty crazy.

Anyway, remember to pretype those posts. You never know where those hackers are lurking.
Let us stop for a moment and ponder the signiture...

Ok, enough of that!
LEGO-las
Apprentice

Post by LEGO-las »

I've a got a question: Can we have explorers? And can they find new islands? I mean, wouldn't it be fun to have a no-faction island :?:
"A Darker path, one that has many abilities, some consider to be...unnatural, if you walk that one, you can become more powerfull then you can imagine" Varras' voice was now slow and deliberately.
Hehe... star wars episode III trailer. Hehe.
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

LEGO-las wrote:I've a got a question: Can we have explorers? And can they find new islands? I mean, wouldn't it be fun to have a no-faction island :?:
To a certain extent. As with Bull Island (Grid O-22, or somewhere thereabouts) is a classic example.

Obviously, this being a real world imitation, there have to be more, much smaller islands, than those shown on the main map.

However, a certain restraint needs to be shown in this matter, and I'll let Nathan weigh in before giving anything resembling permission to go ahead...

~Michael A. Joosten - Gaming Moderator~
LEGO-las
Apprentice

Post by LEGO-las »

but can they be no-faction islands?
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

LEGO-las wrote:but can they be no-faction islands?
I would assume that since Dametreos has been around for so long that pretty much every island belongs to some nation or other, although it is possible that there a few, small, islands near the edges of the map that haven't been claimed, settled, or discovered.

Once again though, I suggest that you wait for Nathan to weigh in before doing anything.

Lord_Of_The_LEGO
Earl of Wells

Formendacil wrote:Once again though, I suggest that you wait for Nathan to weigh in before doing anything.
The short answer is no. Dametreos has been populated by humans for over 4000 years, so basically all that could be discovered has been discovered. In the case of Bull Isle, it was a populated island that simply wasn't very well known in Dametreos.

Also, every piece of land (and water, and airspace for that matter) is owned by some faction or another. I mean, look at our world. Nations own everything in sight on planet Earth!

I would like to discourage the 'discovering' of any more landmasses. There are plenty of islands south to chose from and have adventures on. Large expances of water are hard to come by now as it is -- adding more "discovered" islands would shrink the oceans and seas even smaller.
In the process of converting to [url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/nathanwells/]Flickr[/url].
the_great_one
Artisan

Post by the_great_one »

Hi guys
Id just like to congratulate everyone on the "Temple Of The Lost Stars" Saga.
It really was very excellent.
:D :D
[url=http://www.google.com]Your Greatest Friend[/url]
Sir Drake
Archer

Post by Sir Drake »

the_great_one wrote:Hi guys
Everybody? You mean Lotl, Formendacil, Redbeard and yourself. Anyway let us toast!! I think it was a great ending, how the pendants were destroyed.
TheOrk
Master

Post by TheOrk »

Sir Drake wrote:
the_great_one wrote:Hi guys
Everybody? You mean Lotl, Formendacil, Redbeard and yourself. Anyway let us toast!! I think it was a great ending, how the pendants were destroyed.
I'm gonna have to agree with Sir Drake, that was a pretty good ending to a good epic. :mrgreen:
lemon_squeezer2
Gentleman

Post by lemon_squeezer2 »

Good ending, Good epic, big recap :)

At any rate, I'm back. Thankfully my computer was fixed pretty fast.

BTW - a note to Nate here. I didn't really intend to Chateu de Lumburg to be a capitol city. In fact, a chateu is more like a large manor house - in this instance, a sort of "retreat" - Just a minor quibble at any rate...
"Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like heck"

KP 2011!
Lord_Of_The_LEGO
Earl of Wells

lemon_squeezer2 wrote:Good ending, Good epic, big recap :)
MWHAHAHAHA! :twisted:
lemon_squeezer2 wrote:At any rate, I'm back. Thankfully my computer was fixed pretty fast.
That's great!
lemon_squeezer2 wrote:BTW - a note to Nate here. I didn't really intend to Chateu de Lumburg to be a capitol city. In fact, a chateu is more like a large manor house - in this instance, a sort of "retreat" - Just a minor quibble at any rate...
I thought chateau was a wine! :P

Ok, so Lumberg is just a personal manor for the Crusader royalty then. That's alright, it won't be too hard for me to edit my Viktor post so that they are in Port Crowne.

Heck, 9 pages and it's only a little halfway through the month! Let's see if we can break 16! :twisted:
Commander Redbeard
Bailiff

Post by Commander Redbeard »

Thanks to Nathan and Formendacil and everyone who helped with the Temple of Lost Stars epic! That was my favourite for a while, and I really enjoyed helping create it. Great job, everyone!
Sitting in a midnight glade
Firelight dancing off burnished blade
A Forestman sits
Wondering about the next day
But after three mugs of ale
Let it bring what it may.
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

lemon_sqeezer2 wrote:The Crusader port was bustling as it had not done in years. It was now fully two weeks since the Aterops had sailed into harbor and now every dock was filled, the towering masts, spars, and ropes giving the harbor the appearance of a leafless jungle. The Fortitude – the 72 bastilla flagship presided over all. Just as Imperial Cavilers held sway on the landmass of Dametreos, so did Crusader vessels claim mastery on the seas, though that claim was an empty one for many years now.
Umm, Nick, I think there's a bit of a problem here, and I've noticed it in a few other posts of yours, and I believe I may even have edited in a correction the first time, but the problem is this:

When I first brought up the concept of shipboard ballistas, this is how it was put:
Formendacil wrote:"But yeah, it rocks 'er some, and certainly no ship smaller than a man o' war could handle one. Fer what it's worth, only the biggest ships o' the line in the Falcon or Crusader fleets boast one. And me. Trust me though, it's an 'uge advantage to be able to damage the enemy ship a little before you come alongside and fight 'em. Expensive as Megablox though..."
Now, it is largely my fault, I suppose for not bringing this to your attention earlier, and I suppose that it is quite possible that you missed this statement in your original reading of that post, and your subsequent writing. All the same, Roleplay rules are such that any subsequent writing must be in agreement with anything previously written in the Roleplay, and as far as I know, this was the first statement in the Roleplay regarding shipboard ballistae, and it is clearly in contradiction with what you have posted, several times now, unfortunately.

I had very good reasons for writing it the way I did. This is intended to be a CASTLE-era Roleplay. In the medieval era, maritime warfare was largely a matter of one ship drawing alongside and boarding it in a hand-to-hand combat. Greek fire (a thus catapult to a certain extent) were also used.

I was thus trying to make sure that this powerful advantage/weapon would only be available to the most powerful fleets, which, as you noted, is the maritime power the Crusaders, and the war machine, the Black Falcons.

I can see the tempatation to make a "72-ballista" flagship, but that is somewhat in contradiction of the medieval/magic concept of the Roleplay. It is for this reason that since the BloodVaine War, it has been the decision of the Moderating Team to have no more new airships. The magic element of the Roleplay does not translate into "fantastic" or "futuristic".

In addition, it makes for better storytelling, I feel at least, if you have to draw alongside and fight hand-to-hand in a typical fight.

Therefore, on the assumption that Nathan doesn't drastically disagree with me on this matter, I'm going to ask you to go back and ensure that a ship is never referred to as having more than one, maybe two ballistas on deck.

Last edited by Formendacil on Sun Jun 12, 2005 2:50 am, edited 1 time in total.