Gaming at BrickFest 2005

LEGO gaming, including group role playing games
Magnus
Artisan

Gaming at BrickFest 2005

Post by Magnus »

As many of you will know, BrickFest is once again being held in its time honored location at George Mason University in Arlington VA in August - regsitration to start shortly. Hope to see many fellow castlers there. I'll be organizing the Castle Room and am looking for ways to expand it to be different (and even better) from last year.

I was wondering if there was any interest in gaming in the Castle Room this coming Brickfest. I haven't really been following the gaming forum much, and am not very familiar with the various games the people have been develoing. Can someone fill me in?

I would be especially interested in games that do not need a absolutely huge amount of space to be played and can be played in a matter of hours rather than days. If there are some that are easy to learn for people who are new to everything then that would be cool too. But tell me what kinds of games you guys are up to? Isn't there some kind of dungeon crawl game with modular corridors etc?

:)

Magnus
Robin Hood
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Robin Hood »

Well, as far as the gaming Forum goes, only one kind of game happens. A roleplay. Its pretty cool, but I can't quite see how that could be done at Brickfest. As to other games, I don't know of anything, there might be some, but nothing has appeared in this forum.

Dan :wink:
I build, therefore I am.

Brave words coming from a guy called grapenuts.
Lord_Of_The_LEGO
Earl of Wells

Re: Gaming at BrickFest 2005

Post by Lord_Of_The_LEGO »

Magnus wrote: But tell me what kinds of games you guys are up to? Isn't there some kind of dungeon crawl game with modular corridors etc?
Dan's right in that the Gaming Forum has been basically ruled by the Classic Castle Roleplay for the last year, and it isn't a game that could work at Brickfest.

However, there are other LEGO Castle games out there that would work:

http://www.classic-castle.com/events/ga ... /link.html

One of these, BrickQuest, is the one with the dungeons that you mentioned:

http://www.brickquest.com/brickquest/

I haven't played it myself, but it looks very fun and easy to learn.

I hope this helps! :)
In the process of converting to [url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/nathanwells/]Flickr[/url].
JPinoy
Knight Bannerett

Post by JPinoy »

How about BrikWars with Castle armies? Magnus, did that "fans decide outcome" thing last year, so we could do something like Risk. Instead of a Castle Siege, it would be an open field battle where we can choose tactical manuevers, troop usage, and such.
Peoples_General, master of the vast LEGO armies!
[url]http://www.bricklink.com/aboutMe.asp?u=Peoples_General[/url]
Behold! The mighty armies of my ORIGIN theme!
[url]http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.c ... lesGeneral[/url]
Magnus
Artisan

gaming

Post by Magnus »

I'd be interested in thinking about some kind of wargaming, but we'd need a Games Master and preferably some game that wasn't anywhere as complicated as Brickwars is. I'd like a wargame that people can come along to watch, that doens't take hours to play out and that peopel can join in for a hour or two if they want.

Magnus
LEGO-las
Apprentice

Post by LEGO-las »

Magnus
Artisan

update

Post by Magnus »

I'd just like to say that I'm definitely interested in incorporating BricksQuest into the Castle Room activities this year and have been communicating with pguenthe about figuring out how to do that. See you guys there!
Glencaer
Marquis d'Krakhed

Post by Glencaer »

Just wanted to add a bit here - I've been taken by BrickQuest too. It is a pretty fun game, doesn't need to take forever (but could) and is very MOC intensive.

I've been working on a version that has the basic dynamics of play, but doesn't require a GameMaster. Basically I'm going to make a field where two teams can play capture the flag - go out to battle each other, steal the treasure, and return to their home base. Along the way there will be Monsters and stuff that can be killed for bonus points or special items or something. Something like this could be played in an hour or two and be tons of fun.

The board I am building is going to be green-on-green, so it can look like a field too.

-Lenny
===
"The sound of laughter is like
the vaulted dome of
a temple of happiness. "
~-Milan Kundera-~
The Green Knight
Reeve

Post by The Green Knight »

Wow that Brickquest looks pretty cool. Like a simplified D&D. Hmmm I guess if you’re looking for a really simple game you could try the one me and my brothers play now and then.
It’s like this:

First you get a map. Any map will do. Ours was 64 x 96 (for a four person game, roughly 13 x 24 for each player) with ruins, meadows, desert type lands, two tree monsters, a river,(with a bridge and a raft) a snake pit, two fountains(or springs) and a mountain with a cave.

Each team consists of five lego men, four soldiers and a captain. They each get three hit points,(plus one if they’re wearing armor. Outward –like euro and ninja armor- or just painted on the torso it makes no difference) except for the captain, who gets one extra point). A helmet would give you plus one to your defense rolls on melee attacks and a shield would give you plus one defense roll against archers.
Weapons available are:

Mace (negates the helmet bonus)
Spear or pike (plus one attack roll against mounts and riders)
Axe (the only weapon that can damage tree monsters or chop down trees)
Bow (no hitpoint loss on a missed attack –see below-)
Sword (plus one attack roll against animals and monsters)

Great, now that you’ve got your group assembled, place them anywhere on the map and move to step two.

Step two, “The Sprinkling”

Believe it or not the object of the game is to get the most gold. And the sprinkling is when all the gold pieces (we used rubber bb’s in our game) are sprinkled all over the map. Now all you have to do is get your men to collect the most gold pieces before the other teams do.

But wait, there’s a catch. When your soldier picks a gold piece he automatically triggers one of the cards. There’s one card for every piece of gold on the map. And the number of cards(and gold pieces) depends on the number of monsters you have…

Monsters: The original monsters for our games were pretty standard.

The Big Mole
The Big Boar
The Sea Dragon
The Troll
The Great Dragon
The Wolf
The Panther
The Natives
In addition to four trap cards

Don’t worry, there were good cards too. Ones that gave you extra gold, the gold sword card and the gold helmet, the fruit, the bunnies and the monkey,(if you killed them they gave you extra hitpoints), and the war elephant.

And there were more rules like the simultaneous attacking and healing springs, but you know what… I’m beginning to think this might be too complicated after all. Well if you need another game I can send you the rules but you probably wont need it. Not that I’d be able to construct a set understandable rules right off the bat. Hmm Maybe something I ought work on.
Let us stop for a moment and ponder the signiture...

Ok, enough of that!
Magnus
Artisan

update

Post by Magnus »

Hi,

Unfortunately it looks like Peter who I had initially been talking to about arranging a BrickQuest game won't be able to come to Brickfest after all :(

If there is anyone who'd like to take a lead with any kind of game, please get in touch with me via a PM. I'm happy to make gaming a significant part of the Castle Room assuming there is enough interest in it, but I'll need some help, specifically someone who is interested in arranging some kind of game. LEGO Chess, BrickQuest or whatever, let me hear what you want to do and I'll do my best to work it in. Hope to see lots of you guys there :)

cheers

Magnus