Classic Castle Roleplay: September 2005

LEGO gaming, including group role playing games
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

Grid: M-5
Lord_Of_The_LEGO wrote:The Forestman flatboat groaned and settled deep into the water. Gonderin looked down.

“Squire Thomas!” he snapped, “Steer toward the Sea Elk! All of you, take up oars one last time if you wish not to drown!”

Then he returned to his archery.
It was very late that same night.

The Forestman fleet had returned to Jewel Reef a mere hour earlier, now possessing four fine, large, Ikrosian ships. Three hundred Ikrosian soldiers had been captured, and their places in sailing the fleet were for the moment being manned by the slaves freed from the trebuchet ship.

Sir Dractor and his fleet had returned to find the Dark Foresters again in possession of Jewel Reef. Radjar Kath had only just been wakened from unconsciousness, but his soldiers had possession of the city, had captured most of the enemy, and had already seen the citizens start to stream back into their city.

Late though it was, Sir Dractor, Gonderin, Radjar, the Mayor, and several of the captains sat down immediately to discuss what was to be done with the Ikrosians.

"Send them home," said Sir Dractor. "Give them one of their ships, and strip them of their weapons, and send them on their way."

"One ship for 500 people?" said the Mayor. "They'd need at least two."

"I doubt if they will all want to return," said Gonderin. "Apparently, this Ikros is not the most pleasant of nations. I highly doubt if even one ship will be filled completely with loyalists."

"Which then leaves us the problem of what to do with four hundred or so Ikrosian immigrants," said Radjar, "not to mention all those former galley slaves. What are we going to do with them? They have no livelihood here, no homes, no friends."

"The Forestmen will take most of them in, should they wish it," said Gonderin. "After the events of last year, we are quite proficient at handling refugees. And once we get them set up, it will be quite profitable for us to have all those trained craftsmen and labourers in our lands."

"I dunno," said one of the Forestmen captains. "Six hundred people- almost all men! How well is that going to work when they all start wanting wives and families?"

"Quite well," said Gonderin, "considering the number of Forestdwellers who died during last year's wars."

"And just how can you be certain that Lord Bjarn will be amenable to receiving all these refugees into his land?" asked Radjar. "That's a pretty considerable cost, and there could be social tensions between these Ikrosians and your own people."

Gonderin had never cared much for Radjar Kath, and just fixed him with a steely glare.

"Trust me."

"There's also the matter of the ships," said one of the Dark Forester captains, clearly his throat. "If only one returns to Ikros, then we are left with three very large, formidable warships."

"The Forestmen will take them, naturally," said Gonderin. "It was, after all, our fleet which captured them."

"With the help of a couple hundred Foresters!" Radjar at him. "Furthermore, they were in Dark Forest waters. By rights, the greater claim is ours."

"We had the permission of Queen Arabella to be in those waters," said Gonderin. "And they currently are under Forestmen command, and as spoils of war, they are clearly ours."

"They were captured with Dark Forest aid!" said Radjar hotly. "I notice, Sir Dractor, that you don't say anything." He looked over at the big knight, who was indeed remaining mostly silent.

"Here's my suggestion," said he. "One ship goes to the Dark Forest, one ship goes to the Forestmen."

"And the third!" pressed Radjar.

"I'll take the third," said Sir Dractor. "I belong to neither nation, and I was, after all, the admiral."

"What the tyco do you plan to do with a ship?" asked Radjar. "You're one man!"

"I thought I might keep it for a Yuletide present," said Sir Dractor with a grin. Radjar shook his head, but agreed to the terms.

The council then sat down to finding billets in the village for the soldiers, and a place to keep the Ikrosians until their release could be properly arranged, and a million other, boring, arrangements that an army must make. Sir Dractor was therefore quite relieved when Thomas knocked on the door, and entered.

"Sorry to interrupt," he yawned, "but there's a knight outside with a Royal Knight shield who wants to speak with you, Sir Dractor."

Totally perplexed, Sir Dractor got up, and went to see what was going on. On the way, Thomas asked him a question.

"So what are you going to do with a ship?"

"Have you been listening at doors?" asked Sir Dractor. "That's most dishonourable."

"I was sitting outside trying to drift off," said Thomas, "but there was some rather loud debating going on, so I couldn't sleep. Anyway, what ARE you going to do with it?"

"Give it to Bjarn as a very early Yuletide present," said Sir Dractor. "I'll get Gonderin to make up the papers tomorrow. Somehow I suspect that after this affair the Forestmen will have a navy, albeit a very small, two-ship, one."

"Those are pretty big ships, though," said Thomas. "Surely they'll be big enough for anything the Forestmen need. After all, if they've gotten by without a permanent navy in the past, then surely a two man fleet will be plenty. Wait, here we are."

They rounded a streetcorner, and found themselves in front of a waiting Royal knight, holding his reins.
Maedhros
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Maedhros »

Grid: B-15

Vidkjal opened his only eye and surveyed his surroundings. He was lying on a small carpet in the corner of a small room with thin wooden walls. He carefully put aside a blanket and looked at himself. He was dressed in a strange garment which reminded him of a dress but it only reached his knees. For a second he wondered if the fight had only been a dream, because he could feel no pain. But after a few moments he realized that he couldn´t feel anything at all. He caressed his chest with one hand but he couldn´t feel it. Then he touched his head and felt a bandage wrapped around it. He tried to open his mouth but the bandage stopped him. Tyco skraeling, he thought and took a hold of the bandage to rip it off but then the door opened.

A short middleaged ninjarian stood in the doorway. He was dressed in the same dresslike garment and skirtlike trousers as all ninjarians had. He had short black hair and piercing brown eyes.

Vidkjal immediately let go of the bandage and lay down. The man smiled kindly.

"Ah, you´re awake, Vidkjal-dono. My name is Masaryu."

Vidkjal nodded but the bandage prevented him from speaking. The man sat down beside him.

"Let me do the talking today, Vidkjal-dono. It´ll be your turn tomorrow."

Vidkjal nodded again and was actually quite curious about what this enigmatic man was about to say.

"As you probably remember you fought against young Shika yesterday. When the fight was over she hurried off to get me, I´m the healer of this village you see. Your kindred wanted to burn you and claimed that you were tom come to some srange hall or something but I managed to convince them that you were still alive."

He was interrupted by a muffled growl from Vidkjal. You should have let me die, tyco skraeling, he thought. But Masaryu just smiled and continued.

"Then I took care of you and considering your outstanding stamina you´ll be out of bed in a week."

Again he was interrupted by Vidkjal who mumbled something. Masaryu nodded.

"Yes, Vidkjal-dono. This is certainly quite unnatural. The divine force of the Sun has restored your wound but it has tapped much of your lifeforce and you need to rest to regain it."

Vidkjal stared wide-eyed at him but he continued.

"I assume you don´t know much about our culture so I think it´d be best if you knew." He got an approving nod from Vidkjal.

"We live in a nation called Ninjara which is ruled by the divine emperor Regojin XXXIII. He is a descendant of our gods and is a just and fair minifig. Unfortunately his power nowadays is very limited. Long ago the title shogun was invented to support the emperor. Long ago the shogun was chosen by the Emperor to be his avisor and military commander. But about 300 years ago a greedy shogun called Kuwatoga Saiyu managed to change the law so that his son inherited the title. Ever since then the shogun has gained more and more power and now our Emperor is little more than a puppet. The shogun appoints daimyo to rule the provinces in his name and the once noble samurai do his bidding. He´s very popular among the bushi, the noble class and most of the people respect him as well. He acts very honourably and both his servants and the whole people of this nation follow strict codes of honour. Very few know that he actually controls the emperor and most samurai and daimyo are just and fair minifigs who are fooled by his lies.
But some select groups know how it really is, and we are known as the shinobi. We follow the same codes of honour and have the same beliefs as the rest of the population but we are oppressed by the daimyo and everyone fear us and call us assassins, spies and traitors. It may be true that we have learnt unsurpassed fightning and stealth skills to surive but we are no selfish villains. It is a tough war we are fighting, but we know that we are right and that we fight for the gods and the Emperor."

He stopped talking and the room became completely silent for a long time. Vidkjal respected this people, and with every passing moment he liked them more. It was a fortunate twist of fate indeed that he had ended up here, now his only concern was where his companions were. It was a very long time since he had seen Norbrik, Thedrikfjörge or anyone else of the expedition.

Masaryu stood up and bowed.

"You should try to get some sleep, Vidkjal-dono. Tomorrow you can tell me your stories."
"Hinc satis elucet maiorem habere uim ad discenda ista liberam curiositatem quam meticulosam necessitatem.”
- Augustinus Hipponensis
Maedhros
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Maedhros »

Grid: K-13

"Yea, I´v seen a minifig who look´d like that", the barmaid said. She shivered slightly and nodded at an empty house on the other side of the road.

"The old blacksmith liv´d there."

Ignazio shrugged his shoulders.

"So what?"

"He liv´d there ´til yesterday. Now his bloodless corpse´s bur´d in a pal´ of dirt 30 yards down the road, sir."

All colour dissappeared from Ignazio´s face and he nodded.

"Well, thanks then I guess. Good night."

The barmaid in the doorway to the inn curtsied and Ignazio walked up the hooded figure which was Cecilya who stood in the shadow of a small house. Ignazio nodded seriously at her.

"He´s been here."

"Another corpse?" She looked very concerned and he nodded sternly.

It hadn´t been hard to track Mircea but they had grown more and more concenred for every town they had passed. Something seemed incredibly wrong. They didn´t talk much and contemplated their thoughts alone.

But one thing was clear, they were catching up. They´d soon reach him and see with their own eyes what had happened. Unfortunately their meeting promised nothing but sorrow.
"Hinc satis elucet maiorem habere uim ad discenda ista liberam curiositatem quam meticulosam necessitatem.”
- Augustinus Hipponensis
TheOrk
Master

Post by TheOrk »

A-12 Mist Isle

Thedrikfjorge Bejeorsson walked the length of the fortress, inspecting it. The walls were up and various other small buildings were taking shape. The sounds of the blacksmiths at work echoed across the length and width of the whole island. Hammers fell on anvils, forging blades, various tools and the materials required for the fortress.

None of the vikings were left idle. Those not working in the fortress were either patching up the more badly damaged longships or were hunting for food.

Once Norbrik had caught one man asleep on the job, Norbrik gave him a bonk on the head for his troubles. Taking a club to the head was the only excuse for sleeping that he accepted.

Thedrik walked up to the longhouse. Bit by bit it’s walls were going up, the wooden floor was already solid enough for the viking’s defenition of luxury. As Thedrikfjorge left the construction site he saw Norbrik’s man, Olaf directing workers.

“Olaf! How goes the work?” Asked Thedrik, slowing his pace.

“Good, yer jarlship. In less then a week, we’ll have er selves a stronghold better then Kjellenburg!” Olaf laughed and turned away to further inspect the men. And to take a swig of a hidden flask of brandy,if he had it his way, they would have built a brewery and vineyard first.

Norbrik was examining the store of weapons from the Wyrm Slaers Clan. Enough axes and shields for all the lads. Mostly spears, as they were the weapon of choice for dealing with sea serpents. Besides that there were a few longbows for hunting and enough swords for the warriors who proved worthy of them. The Wyrm Slaers and many of the other clans including half those in the expedition had a tendancy to stock enough weapons for triple their number.

Norbrik gave all the weapons a few practice swings against a shield propped up against a tree. Acouple blades broke from it. Scowling, Norbrik looked over all those that had passed the test. It was just over half, but luckily, all the high quality weapons were being carried around by the Serpent Slayers themselves.

“Norbrik!” He looked up to see Thedrikfjorge walking over towards him.

“How things be going Thedrik?” Norbrik shouted in reply.

“Alls good laddie. The fortress is going up faster then any other I’ve seen.”

Norbrik nodded “Good. I can take the snoew but I can’t stand this tyco rain!”

“No argument here. How be the weapons?” Asked Thedrik, examining a sword.

“As good to be expected. We have more then enough for twice the number of lads here.”

Thedrik smiled “Good, if any of those “factions” the skraeling told us about decide to pick a fight, they’ve coom to the right place!”

“Aye!” Laughed Norbrik. “I trust, ve’ll be journeying to the mainland soon?”
venvorskar
Bailiff

Post by venvorskar »

Rodney paused, and looked at Venvorskar. Jother walked over to him, and before Rodney's eyes, he changed into a Goul, dreaded creatures of the night, who served dark magic.

"I always thought there was something wrong with him." Rodney muttered.

Darkold looked at Venvorskar and recognized him; as the thing with the green eyes he had seen. he did not see the green eyes, but he sensed that they used to be there, dark green and chilling.

Midark let loose an arrow from his bow at Venvorskar. In a blur of motion, to fast to see, Venvorskar pulled it out of the air in front of him.

In a voice that was not loud, but in-human, Venvorskar said, "You think to kill me with mortal weapons, not knowing that they only work on the mortals that designed them. DIE!"

Venvorskar raised a gloved hand and lightning came out of the gloved hand itself, straight from the palm, into Midark's chest. It sent him flying against the cave wall, and Darkold heard the snap of bone.

Venvorskar went over to Pythos and pulled a sword out. In his hand, it glowed with a green flame. Phythos raised his staff, and it turned red with lightning of the same color along the handle. They started dueling. Jother approached where the companions were gathered around Midark, who appeared to be mortally wounded.

"Traitor!" yelled Rodney

"J-j-just a minute. I came to help. You don't think I had a choice, serving Venvorskar. He enslaved me, and a fellow Goul who I know."

"Fine. Help then, if you can."

Stickle raised his wand over Midark, and whispered an incantation. Midark's wounds healed instantly. He sat up slowly. "Is this heaven?" he said, I always thought it would look more, well, white."

"Not yet friend." said Darkold; "You'll still live to fight another battle."

"Go." hissed Stickle, "Venvorskar will soon be back."

Indeed, Venvorskar was rapidly beating Pythos, using his sword to send lightning at Pythos, who blocked as well as he could, but was getting weakened but the bolts he missed.

The companions slipped out the door, Jother looking longingly after them. Though evil, some small part of Stickle liked the group, and wished he could be human, and follow them on all their adventures. But he quickly turned back to reality. Pythos suddenly put on a last burst of strength, and ran out the door. Venvorskar let him go.
TheOrk
Master

Post by TheOrk »

L-12 Castle Dracul Dungeons

Valric looked Pythos balefully, it would all end with a swing of his sword. He almost thought it seemed to purr at the thougth of it. Hundreds of megablox warriors filled the opposite side of the cavern, fighting their way through the maingates. By the looks of things, it seemed the Fright Knights were being pushed back. The megablox warriors were coming out of the portal in their ones and twos now. Sometimes they stopped coming out altogether, Pythos was weakening.

Valric was about to jump but quickly looked back to his friends. Darkold was busy pulling the battered Midark through one of the numerous smaller exits out of the cavern.

It seemed Pythos was going to be defeated by Venvorskar so they had no more reasons to stay in this horrid bloodbath. Rodney followed close behind, guarding their backs against the numerous demons infesting the place.

“Come on guys! That Pythos chap is as good as dead. Fighting one dark wizard is enough but fighting two? This no longer our fight!” He bellowed over the noise, his ice spear skewering a bronze armoured knight.

Valric nodded angrily, he wanted Pythos for himself. “Come on Theodore, this place isn’t exactly friendly…”

Theodore nodded and the two began making their way to the door. Valric didn’t spare Jother/Stickle a second glance. For being a creature of evil, he would killed it on the spot. But something in it’s voice and eyes made him falter.

Venvorskar didn’t bother to watch the minifigs depart. He stared up at the portal before him and all the carnage and devastation around him. Yes, Castle Dracul would suit his needs perfectly. He looked up at the portal again, wondering if he dare try to solve it’s mysteries…

“…No.” Was the answer, with that, Pythos struck Venvorskar on the side of the head and he didn’t even realise it. “That was a teleportation charm if your wondering.” Growled Pythos, who was standing behind him.

Venvorskar swore as remembered seeing him run out a door. He hastily erected the strongest shield spell he knew as the bloodied Pythos renewed his offensive. Valric slowed down and turned to watch. Pythos and Venvorskar traded blow for blow. Unleashing the power to destroy whole armies on each other. The mana flow couldn’t take such punishment. BloodVaine proved that.

“I see you’re better then me with the mana, but can you handle the megablox!?!?” Screamed Pythos happily, his eyes stared in two directions as he raised his staff.

Valric watched transfixed as a solid cloud of raw megablox, flew out the staff, hitting Venvorskar square in the chest. Gasping he leapt behind a pillar. Valric readied himself for a charge. Venvorskar emerged from the pillars, an army of spells on his tongue. Pythos eyed him silently.

“Scum! You dare infect my castle!?” Belzzar stumbled out of the shadows, his armour in tatters, he brandished his batstaff menacingly. The other two wizards stared at him.

Valric had seen enough in the past to know what was coming. He picked up a huge rectangular megablox shield and tried to cover as much of his body as he could, since he was already taking full advantage of the rest of his surroundings.

The three dark wizards stared at each other. Pythos smiled benvolently at everyone, Venvorskar had no face and Belzzar gave each a hateful glance.

“Verntio!”

“Darkaga!”

“Blizzaga!”

“Avada Kedavra!”

“Darek!”

“Velosigus!”

Belzzar collapsed in a heap and began groaning. Venvorskar fell to his knees in shock. Pythos still stood, even if it looked like he had just been trampled by an army of bulls.

“None can defeat me. I am the Lord of the Megablox! Who would dare stand against my might?! The Lord of the Lego? He may have a huge influence in this land and has many pawns but none are in Castle Dracul. Who else? A long dead King of Gondor? That etherial knight who challenged Sir Gawain? No, none shall stop me from conqering Dametreos…” Wretched Pythos crazily. The minifig had now lost so much of his sanity that he couldn’t control his body properly.

“You forgot me.” Growled Valric running forward “This one’s for Weigraf and all the other’s who’ve suffered from your madness!”

Pythos turned to see Valric’s sword bury itself to the hilt in his stomache. Valric drove it in deeper and deeper. Venvorskar watched from the sidelines in approval. Valric who couldn’t bare the site of the lonesome creature anymore, dragged it towards the portal.

It was starting to buckle. No more monstrosities escaped it’s depths, those in the Castle shrieked in anguish and started to run for all their pitiful existances were worth. The portal was now a chaotic maelstrom of colour, sucking in everything around it as it started to implode.

Valric stood with Pythos on the edge of it. “Goodbye.” Said Valric with a smile and let go of him.

“Nooo! This part of the ceremony isn’t complete!” Shrieked Pythos.

In one final act of defiance, he grabbed hold of Valric,as he fell into the portal. Valric tried to jump back but Pythos was pulling him in. Valric didn’t flinch for second, he raised a large, steel hard fist. After the first punch, Pythos’s face had been reduced to a bloody mess. Grinning, he drew forth a glistening dagger and plunged it into Valric’s side. Grunting, he continued to pummel the sorcerer into submission. Once he actually went inside the portal, his skin and flesh began withering away.

Valric gasped in shock and attempted to break free. The skeleton, moving with a will of it’s own was dissapearing from view.

“This is the end…” Thought Valric grimly. At least he got to take him to megablox with him. Even in the face of death he still chuckled at his own joke.

“It’s not over yet friend!” Growled Theodore as he heaved Valric’s body away. Valric despite the terrible injury in his right side, began to roar with laughter, the way he always did in fights.

The portal and the area around it began to implode, the two friends would have been sucked into it, if it wasn’t for a speed spell, making them run to safety. Stickle smiled, he turned to see Venvorskar was still to busy healing himself to notice what he did…
Maedhros
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Maedhros »

Vidkjal awoke and found that he was in the same room. Today he felt different, he had regained some feeling. And he wasn´t hindered by the bandage around his jaw. He yawned and stretched out his arms. He felt like a new person and tried to stand up but then his body said no, and he fell down again. He cursed and decided to wait for something to happen.

Soon the door opened and Masaryu entered. He bowed and sat down beside Vidkjal.

"Good day, Vidkjal-dono. How do you feel?"

"Better, I think. At least I can talk today."

He grinned and Masaryu smiled slightly.

"So, you have regained that gift. Maybe you should tell your story today then."

Vidkjal nodded and sat up.

"Well, first I´d like to know what my men are doing and how they feel."

"They have built a small camp on the shore and I think they are rather content. One of them, Airikeru or something like that I believe he was called, has waited outside my house two days now."

Vidkjal gazed at him.

"Airikr! Let him in, please I beg you."

Masaryu stood up and walked out without another word. Vidkjal was disappointed first and wondered if he had insulted the ninjarian but then a familiar minifig suddenly came into the room.

Airikr smiled broadly to Vidkjal.

"At last, the tyco skraeling wouldn´t let me see you."

"I think he meant well. He seems to be wise. And he´s a good healer."

"But a weakling and skraeling nevertheless."

"You are wrong, Airikr. These minifigs are wise and skilled, and their spirit is stronger than it seems."

Airikr nodded slightly.

"Maybe you´re right, Vidkjal. After all a young woman almost killed you."

Vidkjal nodded. He still found it hard to accept. And the fact that she had rushed to find the healer. He didn´t know what to think.

"Do you have any orders for us?"

Vidkjal woke up from his thoughts and shrugged.

"No, just stay here and don´t mess with our hosts."

"Of course not. Their hospitality is almost too great."

"Indeed, Now I´d like you to leave. I have some matters to attend to."

Airikr smiled and raised an eyebrow.

"Oh? But you can´t move."

"I have promised the healer a conversation."

Airikr stared wide-eyed at Vidkjal a few moments before he left. Something had changed, Vidkjal wasn´t like he used to be...

A few minutes later Masaryu entered again. he smiled at Vidkjal.

"Thank you, Vidkjal-dono."

"For what?"

"It doesn´t matter", he replied and then he sat down.

"Now tell me your story, Vidkjal-dono."

Vidkjal cleared his throat and leaned back against the wall.

"Well, I will tell me about me and my people then. I was born in a town called Ransheim. I was brought up to become a warrior and a warrior I became. When I was 19 happened to kill my very best friend Asgeirr during a training session. It was then that I joined the Einhärjar.

The Einhärjar are a feared and renowned clan among us Vikings. The word Einhärjar means slain and everyone who joins the clan already consider himself slain. After killing Asgeirr I felt like I´d never be able to live again so I joined them in the hope of dying in battle. That´s what we all hope for and therefore the Einhärjar has the most fearless and fierce of the berserks and warriors. For some reason I haven´t died yet though I´ve been through countless battles and now for the first time..."

He stopped for a few moments and Masaryu answered him.

"... you are glad to be alive."

Vidkjal nodded slowly. Masaryu smiled kindly at him and stood up.

"I think that´s enough for today, Vidkjal-dono."

Vidkjal nodded.

"Thank you for everything, Masaryu."

Masaryu bowed and left without another word.
- Augustinus Hipponensis
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

Grid: M-5
Formendacil wrote:"Those are pretty big ships, though," said Thomas. "Surely they'll be big enough for anything the Forestmen need. After all, if they've gotten by without a permanent navy in the past, then surely a two man fleet will be plenty. Wait, here we are."

They rounded a streetcorner, and found themselves in front of a waiting Royal knight, holding his reins.
The knight was a larger man, but fairly average in size. He had a thick reddish beard, and a suit of full, unadorned armour.

"Sir Aethelred Dractor?" he asked, as they came up. "Your squire told me that you are the one I seek."

"Why do you seek me?" asked Sir Dractor, "and who are you?"

"My apologies," said the knight, "I am Sir Yves D'Auron, hereditary Knight Bannerett from a small village known as Fendor's Field. We are located in the southwestern portion of Lion's Island. Are you familiar with the island, at all?"

"I've travelled in the Crusader portion," said Sir Dractor, remembering wryly his clash with the Crusader authorities. "But I haven't been any farther west than Leonville."

"Well, then I should perhaps explain our situation a little better," said Sir Yves. "About two-thirds of the island, the eastern two-thirds, including the Crusader portion, were as you saw it: hills and plains and scattered woods. A bit chilly in the winter, perhaps, but otherwise quite hospitable. Most of the island's population lives in those areas.

"The western third or so of Lion Island is a good deal more rugged, and a good deal less populated. A range of mountains, the Crags, fill up the centre of that portion of the Island, and from there to the coast, on either side, are thick, dark forests, mostly pine. There's only a few villages in this area.

"Fendor's Field is one of those," continued Sir Yves, as Sir Dractor stifled a yawn. "It's the only village within a day's ride of Emberlain Castle, where Baron Edmond Tendarl rules. He's the feudal lord of most of the mountain and forested inland, under Duke Kristen Castlin, and through him, King Lego XIII."

"And you're one of his retainers, I assume?" said Sir Dractor.

"One of his vassals," said Sir Yves. "One of his few vassals, actually. There's only a handful of landed knights in the Emberlan Barony, and there aren't many more knights in the service of the baron. But I'm getting away from my purpose.

"The reason I am here is certainly on Baron Edmond's business. Emberlain Barony is suffering from a terrible scourge, and I fear that you are the one best able to help us."

"I am?" said Sir Dractor, totally uncomprehending. "Cannot the Duke help you? Or the King? Why aren't you asking for help in Castleton?"

"The scourge we face is a dragon," said Sir Yves, "and it is a large and cunning one. Without fielding a major army, it is unlikely that any aide from Kingston or from Castleton would be of any avail. And the terrain about Fendor's Field is not condusive to hosting an army, as I have indicated."

"Why me?" asked Sir Dractor. "I'm still not clear on this point."

"Your sword!" said Sir Yves. "The Dragonwrath!"

Sir Dractor looked down at his sword, at the marvelous blade that Thomas and Gonderin had retrieved for him. Dragonwrath, the old documents had called it. The Slayer of Chyroprax, the Blade of Carmalin, and the Beesting.

"I was sent, a month ago, to the ruins north of Leidenheim, where the sword was said to be hid, when the dragon first came to trouble our lands. It is no common dragon, such as the Dragon Masters enslave, but a greater, more crafty beast. It was wreaking havoc on our people, and Baron Edmond and I agreed that the best thing to do was seek a quick end to it. And so I went in search of the Dragonwrath."

"Which Gonderin and I would have taken by then," said Thomas.

"Exactly," said Sir Yves, with a nod to Thomas. "I arrived only to hear from the locals that a great Forestman elf-Captain, by the name of Gonderin and a young squire had broken in and taken the blade. Seeing as I could no longer acquire it for myself, I set out to find the bearer, and persuade him to aid us."

"And you learned that I bore it?" said Sir Dractor.

"Only this evening, when I reached Jewel Reef," said Sir Yves. "I came here upon learning that the Lord Gonderin would arriving here for battle with the Forestman fleet. While I was searching for him, I heard of the battle, and of the sword that you bear.

"And so I ask, on the behalf of all my liegemen, on behalf of my Lord Baron, and on behalf of all the people this dragon troubles, if you will help us!"

"It's just a sword," said Sir Dractor. "How can one more blade help?"

"Two blades," corrected Thomas.

"One more blade?" said Sir Yves, his eyebrows rising. "Do you not know the pedigree of the blade you wear? That sword was forged by Cenwick Aurelious! There was magic in its forging, as in the forging of ANY sword he made! A magic, more accurately, that was devastating to the dragon Chyroprax, when wielded by Prince Carmalin! There is a powerful anti-dragon magic in that blade, and I am more confident of its success against this dragon than of the whole Royal Knight army!"

Sir Dractor looked down at his sword. The ruby-eyed gold dragon on its hilt glared back at him.

"Will you aid us?" Sir Yves asked again.

"Why not," said Sir Dractor, with a look at Thomas, "it isn't as if we had anything better to do."

"Thank you, greatly!" said Sir Yves. "When can we leave?"

"Noon tomorrow," said Sir Dractor. "This time, I'm getting some sleep before dashing off, and I have the matter of an army to send home and a ship to make a gift of."
Maedhros
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Maedhros »

Grid: K-13

Darkness fell over the barren wastelands. The sun had set an hour ago and the shadows grew longer.

Ignazio and Cecilya had been riding for 11 hours without rest now and Ignazio began to grow concerned about their horses. But Cecilya seemed unstoppable in some strange way. Ignazio had only ever met one person so determined...

They were riding through a small village when Ignazio suddenly stopped. He shouted to Cecilya who stopped too and glanced at him.

"What?"

Ignazio pointed at an inn with a small stable. There was only one horse there, a white and beautiful steed.

"That´s Dracinio, Mircea´s horse."

Cecilya smiled happily.

"Maybe we should pay a visit to that inn then."

----------

Mircea had recently got up, for the first time in weeks he had slept in a real bed. And he felt rather content for other reasons too, last night he had managed to control his hunger. But he now he felt it gnawing inside him. He had to get out of the inn quickly.

He walked through the diningroom of the inn and opened the door without even a glance at the barmaid who watched him from the kitchen. When he opened the door he got a surprise.

The High Commander Ignazio stood in the doorway along with the woman he had met outside Milash. The Beast reared it´s ugly head but Mircea fought it and forced a smile.

Ignazio bowed and smiled and the woman rushed forward and embraced Mircea with tears flowing from her eyes. Mircea didn´t return the hug but stumbled backwards and hissed:

"Get off me. Run!"

He kept his mouth shut so they didn´t see his fully extended fangs which pierced his lips and gave him a taste for blood.

Cecilya backed off with a hurt look. What´s wrong, she thought. He was so cold.

Mircea began losing control and threw a chair at the wal beside the doorway. It broke into a thousand parts and both Cecilya and Ignazio gazed at him in horror.

"Mircea..."

"I said run!" he shouted with fangs fully extended and his eyes glowing a dangerous red colour. Cecilya gasped and backed right into Ignazio who pushed her out and drew his sword. It had already gone too far.

Mircea lost control and threw himself at Ignazio who thrust his sword right into Mircea´s chest. It pierced his ribcage and Mircea screamed in pain. Ignazio let go of the blade and backed off with tears streaming out of his eyes. Oh, Dragon forgive me. What have I done?

But Mircea grabbed the sword an pulled it out and then his wound sealed itself. He hissed angrily and rushed at Ignazio. Ignazio just stared in horror and didn´t move but Cecilya had gathered some resolve and shut the door right in Mircea´s face. But it wasn´t enough. The door broke with a loud crack and Mircea burst out roaring with fury. Cecilya grabbed Ignazio´s arm and ran but suddenly Mircea stood before her. She stopped and screamed in terror but her scream was muffled by his cold and heavy hand. He grabbed her jaw and lifted her high in the air. Meanwhile Ignazio had fallen down on the road with his face buried in his hands.

Mircea laughed maniacally and threw Cecilya across the street. She hit a house and the crack when her neck broke was heard throughout the village. When he had got rid of her he bent down and grabbed Ignazio who didn´t resist. Mircea hissed loudly and then buried his teeth deep in Ignazio´s neck.

At first he felt a tinge of pain but it was replaced immediately by a sensation of passion which surged through his body.
- Augustinus Hipponensis
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

Grid: B-18
Location: Houshii Province, Ninjarian Territory, Boranis Dracis Island
Formendacil wrote:Elbadar looked back, and saw Corporal Halfstare signalling that the men had totally unloaded, and were ready to march.

"If that's everything," he said to Po Lee, "then lead the way."
It was a long and hard trek through the mountainous Boranis Dracis countryside. Thick forests and steep ravines made for a difficult journey. The road was narrow, the climate was humid, and the land was strange.

But there was something more than that bugging Lord Marshal Elbadar's mind. There was, put simply, something that was just... wrong.

At first he had attributed it to the environment. His memories of Boranis Dracis were less than pleasing. It had been a dark time in his life, when he had been politically unfavoured, and had been thrown in a very dark, dirty, and mostly forgotten war along the ninja border.

But, he came to realise, that was not what troubled him. Although Boranis Dracis had not changed, the events of the years since made him glad to be back in a territory that, if nothing else, reminded him of days when he was a common soldier, and not troubled with caring for his own, wild, regiment.

His regiment...

That was it, he eventually came to realise. There was an odd mood about his Dragon Masters. It wasn't the terrain. It wasn't the mission ahead of them. His men were trained professionals, and they were primed for another heady commission. No, the trouble he was sensing was something personal.

Po Lee. The Ninjarian dignitary was the only stranger in the group. He seemed a nice enough character: courteous, helpful, grateful for their aid. But still...

Captain Oris Del Grakken. That was the problem. Since Po Lee's joining the company, Captain Del Grakken had been acting strangely. At first, Elbadar wasn't sure what it was. Po Lee had spent only short amounts of time with the captain, less than he did with Elbadar, and he didn't seem to show the captain any special interest.

It wasn't Po Lee, Elbadar realised, but Del Grakken. Wittingly or unwittingly, since Po Lee had joined them, Del Grakken's attitude had changed. He was being... nice.

Elbadar didn't like it. For months, ever since his unexpected, right on time, return to the Sorceror-king's service in Talistrand, Del Grakken and himself had been on poor terms. Even before then, although there had been no difficulties, Del Grakken had never cared much for the political outcast promoted as his superior.

So Del Grakken's sudden change of attitude worried Elbadar. Del Grakken was no longer being belligerent, was no longer countering his orders, and was actually being helpful.

Elbadar didn't know what was wrong, but he didn't like it, all the same.

"Po Lee!" he called ahead, "I'm stopping us for the night. We've been going steeper all day."

Po Lee scowled.

"Another two hours will not harm us, Lord Elbadar," he said. "I would rather we pressed on."

Just for the heck of it, Elbadar decided to assert his authority. He was starting to feel out of control.

"Sorry, Po Lee," he said, "I'm the one in charge. Corporal Halfstare, order the men to pitch camp."

As the men set about, Elbadar noticed that while Po Lee seemed to have resigned himself to Elbadar's orders, that Captain Del Grakken was back to his old habits, and was scowling deeper than ever.

Elbadar didn't know whether to be glad of that or not.
Robin Hood
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Robin Hood »

Robin Hood wrote:The two continued to walk through the sea of green. The hills, far away, slowly grew.

As their journey brought them to nightfall, they realized that the hills were really miniature mountains. Figuring that it would be easier to find a road through them by the sea, the two companions turned eastward and by the time the stars were out, they had come across a road.

Not much of one. It was barely more than a skinny line in the grass. They would not have found it had not Kae-Os managed to walk right over it. Judging from where it came from, Kae-Os guessed it to go towards the huts they had passed earlier that day.

They traveled down it for a half and hour and slowly the road widened. By the time they saw a group of lights twinkling in the distance, the path had grown large enough for both of them to walk side by side.

The lights slowly formed themselves into a village. It was obviously a ninjarin one, but a ways away, toward the coast, a large group of tents were set. They were of a style nether Aiden nor Kae-Os had ever seen and were set in such a manner that it was obvious to all that they were not ninjarin.

As they approached the edge of the village, a man detached himself from the dark, stepped in front of them and bowed.

"Greetings travelers."

Kae-Os returned the bow perfectly. Aiden gave a slightly sloppier one. "Good evening to you sir." Said Aiden. "We are travelers and strangers to your land. We are searching for a place to stay the night. Would anybody here be willing to take us in? We would be gone by morning."

"Certainly," replied the man. "All travelers are welcome here. You may stay as long as you wish. Come."

The man turned and walked into the village. Aiden and Kae-Os followed.
I build, therefore I am.

Brave words coming from a guy called grapenuts.
Maedhros
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Maedhros »

Maedhros wrote: Mircea laughed maniacally and threw Cecilya across the street. She hit a house and the crack when her neck broke was heard throughout the village. When he had got rid of her he bent down and grabbed Ignazio who didn´t resist. Mircea hissed loudly and then buried his teeth deep in Ignazio´s neck.

At first he felt a tinge of pain but it was replaced immediately by a sensation of passion which surged through his body.
After a while Mircea finally regained control of his body. He stared in horror at the lifeless body of Ignazio at his feet and the moment later he saw the unmoving body of Cecilya. He fell down on the ground and buried his face in his hands.

Oh, Dragon. What have I done? He just sat there for a rather long time but then he got an idea. He looked up and wiped the blood from his cheeks. He tried to think. What did that Clik-it Laurentiu do? Why didn´t I die?

And then it all became clear to him. He had felt that strange wonderful taste. It must´ve been Laurentiu´s blood.

He quickly got up and ripped open his wrist with his fangs. Then he let some blood drop into Ignazio´s mouth. A slight moan was heard and he gave him some more. Then he went over to Cecilya too and gave her some blood. After doing that he stood up and the scratch regenerated. He picked up the two bodies and put them in his carriage. Then he went to get his horse.

---------

About half an hour later he stopped the carriage. He heard a moan from the back of it. He jumped off it and opened the door where he saw Ignazio who had begun to move. When Ignazio saw Mircea he stared at him.

"Mircea... What happened...?"

Mircea shrugged sadly.

"I´m so sorry, Ignazio. I hope the Dragon will forgive us all."

Ignazio touched his neck and felt no pulse. He looked dumbfounded.

"What...?"

Mircea wiped blood from his tearfilled eyes.

"We are all damned, my friend."
- Augustinus Hipponensis
TheOrk
Master

Post by TheOrk »

L-12 Castle Dracul

The cavern began to shake, rocks began falling out of the ceiling, luckily for Castle Dracul, the thing wasn’t going to collapse. The group stumbled down one of the side passages. Darkold helped the battered Midark limp along, Rodney ran ahead to make sure the way was clear, one stray megablox warrior payed the price. Valric and Theodore brought up the rear.

One of the falling rocks, hit the archway of the door they went through, knocking it down in a shower of bricks and debris. Valric fell against the wall and slid down, gritting his teeth, he clutched the wound in his right side. Not waiting for anyone else, he tore off a strip of cloth and began making a makeshift bandage, it wouldn’t hold long, but it would have to do. He was about to ask Jother to heal it, but he bit his tongue. The group exchanged dark looks.

“You think that will hold?” Asked Theodore worriedly.

Valric shook his head, “Nah. It’ll have to do for now. Let’s just worry about getting out of here.”

“Not that bad an idea” Replied Darkold, seeing to Midark’s wounds.

After a few minutes, Midark was able to stand by himself, despite Valric’s protests, Theodore ran to support him. With the ice spear wielding Rodney in the lead, they made their way through the tunnels.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Belzzar, muttered a healing spell and crawled away, the other wizard, Venvorskar or what ever his name was, was still in there. Belzzar would deal with him once he found Radu. He felt a lead brick fly off his chest as the memory of Pythos’s hellish demise came back to him.

He smiled through broken teeth. His bloody hands found his batsaff, climbing to his feet he set off. There will hundreds of the monsters running about, it seemed only those close to the portal itself were the destroyed. Several stood in his way as he ran for the corpse strewn exit.

With a bloody roar he cracked one over the head with his staff. The demon was not killed, just knocked out. A blast of fire scared off the other two. None could stand before him. The batlord knew that even if that old crazed sorcerer was gone, this was not the time to celebrate. Another sorcerer had taken his place, one who knew where to set the limits. Besides that little problem, there was still the matters of the traitors and the demons.

His work was not done that night. If he wished to keep on his Lady’s good side, he had better handle the situation quickly. She of the Barrow would not tolerate weakness in her chosen. The Count’s fearful ramblings had taken leave of his senses. Instead of simply going into the upper chambers, he had blundered into the rest of the dungeons...
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

Grid: J-10
Lord_Of_The_LEGO wrote:Cate stopped reading.

Dude.” she breathed.

Hans and Adrian nodded.

“This Nathaniel guy,” said Hans, “I’m related to him!”

“Sweetness.” the trio intoned together.
The lunch break was soon over, and Adrian and Hans returned to the drudgery of looking through Lord Slacs' papers. However, having progressed faster than expected, he let them off early, and they made their way with Cate to their favourite hangout by Millennial Park.

"You know," said Hans, after ordering a beef patty on a wheat bun with tomato sauce and mustard sauce, "I'm still totally amazed about that business this morning."

"Being related to a famous figure IS pretty amazing," agreed Adrian.

"Oh it's nothing," said Cate, almost irritably. She had gotten slightly tired of the boys oohing and aahing over their discovery of the morning. "I'm related to four Emperors of the 1400s, and half the royal house of Tridentia, not to mention the CURRENT Earl of Wells, Orinulus Winstall, by a bloodline far closer than you. What's more, the now-dead lady who would have been Empress today was my mother's second cousin."

"You don't get it, Cate," said Hans, shaking his head. "This is big stuff. You're related to all these great people, that you think it's nothing. But for me, well, it's way cooler than that."

"Me too," said Adrian. "Family legend says we've got a prince ancestor on my mom's mom's side, but I'm not sure I believe it. Finding an authenticated link to a famous bloodline is a big thing when you're just a commoner like us."

"Sorry," said Cate, "I forgot. Still, it's not like this is going to benefit you any, Hans."

"Probably true," agreed Hans, "but the coolness factor definitely makes up for that."

"I'd like to know more about this 'One Brick to Rule Them All,'" said Adrian. "The tiny bit we heard about it in that book has me totally intrigued. I took a quick look in the main index before we left, and there wasn't an entry for it."

"Doesn't mean much," said Hans. "Only half the Archives are properly indexed. They didn't start indexing until the 1600s, and they never managed to do it all the way through. There are thousands of old books, even some newer ones, that have made it out of the lists. The current index goes back to 1983, and the last one was a really old one started in 1904. I think there's also on from around 1850, and a couple from the 1700s, as well as the initial attempt from the 1600s."

"Why start from scratch all the time?" asked Cate.

"Probably because of the efficiency of the system," said Adrian. "The archives in Leidenheim are a fair bit smaller, but they're the biggest ones on Lion Isle, and seven hundred years ago it was an independent kingdom, so they're pretty big. Anyways, my point was that quite often archivists change their minds about the way that they want to catalogue their collections, and so they start all over, making up a totally new index, based on totally new criteria."

"Exactly," said Hans. "And archivists have other things to do besides cataloguing the collection. We have to make sure the books are kept in good condition. We have to help with the research of visiting scholars- like Bjarn. We have to make copies of old documents for other archives. There's a reason that over one hundred people work at the Imperial Archives. I was mostly in charge of shelving documents being returned, and it was a pretty fulltime job. My dad mainly does administrative work. Everyone specialises. There are the copyists, the indexers, the research assistants. It's a labour-intensive business."

"Okay, enough backstory," said Cate. "I think I get the idea."

"Going back to my original point," said Adrian, "I'd like to learn more about this One Brick to Rule Them All. If the current index has no information, would you suggest looking it up in the older ones?"

"Maybe," said Hans, "but I think it would be way easier to just look up Earl Nathaniel. The Brick and him are totally connected, and he'll be easier to find. Actually..." and Hans drifted off for a second.

"Actually," he said, "it might just be easier to ask my dad for papers on him. My dad's a big nut for family history, I wouldn't be surprised if he knew Nathaniel was an ancestor, and didn't think it worth mentioning. If anyone knows where to find papers on him, he'd be the one."

"If we're quite done for tonight," said Cate as they got their food, "I was thinking that maybe we could go to the Imperial Opera House tonight. Adrian hasn't been there, and they're showing a really good show."

"Er... what is it?" asked Hans hesitantly.

"The Ghost of the Theatre, by A.L.Cobwebs," said Cate. "It's really good!"

"Yeah, I heard that," said Hans, still a little uneager. "What do you say, Adrian?"

"I'm game," said he, "I've always wanted to see that one."

"Good!" said Cate, "we've got just enough time to get dressed up after supper. I think I'll wear that blue dress this time..."

Hans and Adrian glanced at each other. More dressing up.
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

Grid: B-18
Location: Houshii Province, Ninjarian Territory, Boranis Dracis Island
Formendacil wrote:"Sorry, Po Lee," he said, "I'm the one in charge. Corporal Halfstare, order the men to pitch camp."

As the men set about, Elbadar noticed that while Po Lee seemed to have resigned himself to Elbadar's orders, that Captain Del Grakken was back to his old habits, and was scowling deeper than ever.

Elbadar didn't know whether to be glad of that or not.
Oris Del Grakken looked no more pleased the following morning, in fact, he looked more like a thunderhead than ever.

"Corporal Halfstare," ordered Elbadar, "order the men to strike the camp. Let's get back on the road."

Was it Elbadar's imagination, or did Po Lee just shoot him a grumpy glare?

Within half an hour, they were back on the road. According to Po Lee, they ought to arrive at Shindar Fortress, where Daimyo Gailin was waiting, before sundown.

Shortly after noon, one of the Farsights reported seeing a dragon overhead, over the southeast.

"Corporal Grabanc!" ordered Elbadar, "take a detachment of thirty, and investigate."

"Must be Sorgodh's men," said Po Lee. "I do not think that the Dragon Masters would come over the border at this time, and certainly not with a dragon."

"Anything's possible," said Elbadar, not willing to commit. "Corporal Halfstare! Order the men to halt and break out some lunch! I want to wait here until Grabanc returns."

"Aye, sir!"

Not too long after, maybe three-quarters of an hour or so, one of Grabanc's men returned.

"Sir!" he reported. "There is a force of 200 Fright Knights, marching up the ravine. The dragon appears to be flying cover for them, as well as providing a lookout. It appears that they caught sight of us. Corporal Grabanc and the rest have taken up a defensive position, and are waiting for backup."

"Backup!" growled Elbadar. "Why didn't he return here? The fool!"

"Why?" asked Po Lee, displaying what appeared to be a great tactical ignorance.

"Because now I have to go and fight down there," said Elbadar. "This is better ground, and I'd have preferred to fight up here. I hope he knows what he's up to."

In the back of his mind, Elbadar recalled that it had been Del Grakken's choice to promote Grabanc, a choice that Elbadar had made, in agreement with his good leadership abilities. And thus far he had seen no reason to fear, but still...

"Break up the men into contingents of approximately forty men each," ordered Elbadar. "I'll take command of the largest group. Del Grakken, Halfstare, and Bertussin, take the remaining groups. When we reach a position one-third of a league from Grabanc, we'll split up, and take up positions to his right and left, waiting for the Fright Knights to attack Grabanc's men. When I give the signal, attack."

"Aye sir," nodded Halfstare, "I'll divide up the men."

Ten minutes later they had divided into four companies, and were marching into the dense forests. Once Grabanc's messenger told them they were within a third of a league, they split up, with Elbadar and Halfstare's groups going to the left, and Del Grakken and Bertussin going to the right.

Once they were in position, it wasn't long before the Fright Knights came past, aiming for Corporal Grabanc and his men.

"Alright!" ordered Elbadar, "now!"

With a rush, he charged with his men down into the Fright Knights. Halfstare and his men were right behind him, with Del Grakken and Bertussin joining the battle from the far side, and Grabanc's men charging as well.

Then something went wrong. Del Grakken and Bertussin were not met with resistance, but joined the ranks of the Fright Knights. Grabanc did the same. Then Halfstare's men attacked Elbadar's from behind. Elbadar had just enough time to see Halfstare himself go down on the blades of his own men.

Things were not good.