Classic Castle Roleplay: September 2005

LEGO gaming, including group role playing games
Lord_Of_The_LEGO
Earl of Wells

Post by Lord_Of_The_LEGO »

Lord_Of_The_LEGO wrote:Lord Void chuckled. Then something within him snapped. The ground stopped shaking. The world went black for Lord Void.
Grid: H-10

When Lord Void came to, he was still in the saddle of the dragon. Excruciatingly, he sat upright. Each breath was a knife in his side. Looking around hurt his eyes. For the longest while, Lord Void sat in the saddle of the great beast and dozed, slowly regaining energy. The dragon snuffled and lumbered about contentedly. Finally Lord Void had the strength to better study his surroundings. Trees surrounded him on all sides. They were tall, think, ropy trees crawling with vines and other fauna. However, there was little flora or fauna where he and the dragon was. Lord Void slid off the saddle. His knees buckled as his feet touched the ground and he banged his shins against the hard rock. A strange rock it was. Lord Void suddenly realised what it was. It was a lava floe. A new one, too. Lord Void could tell not much wind nor rain had eroded the floe, and plants had just barely begun to grow where nooks of dirt lay. Lord Void pushed himself up. He knew where he was. He recognized the gnarled trees. The Neverwood.

I wonder if that old hermit Gib’s still here. Thought Lord Void wryly, I doubt it. That old fool was probably eaten months ago.

Lord Void was not worried about his own safety. He had the black dragon, which could scare off any beast that lurked in the Neverwood. Plus, of course, he had magic. Lord Void shifted uncomfortably. The last time he had been in the Neverwood, he hadn’t had magic. But that wasn’t the case this time. One could loose the power over Mana, but once one knew the ancient Goblin runes…you were unstoppable.

Lord Void frowned. Memories of certain events, torturing Hadadar, move that giant boulder, attacking the Dragonsbane Brigade, enter his thoughts unbidden. How were those events explained?

Lord Void stood and suddenly set a distant tree on fire. It burned for a few seconds, then sputtered. Lord Void grimaced in pain.

“Tyco!”

He reached into the folds of his robes. Out came a spell book. It was the one Ajaxx Dragonsbane had tossed to him. Lord Void had slipped it away before his attack. Now he opened it. He automatically thumbed to where Ajaxx had placed a bookmark. One page was heavily underlined.

“Though Earth Magic is immensely powerful, it has one unfortunate downside. If not used in moderation, the magic-wielder will soon begin to suffer painful magical seizures. These seizures will eventually increase in magnitude and frequency until it paralyzes the magic-wielder, inhibiting that person from using Earth Magic.”

Lord Void stared at the page in shock. He could not believe it. He had been robbed of the Mana…and now this! Lord Void let loose a howl of rage.
In the process of converting to [url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/nathanwells/]Flickr[/url].
TheOrk
Master

Post by TheOrk »

A-12

Waves broke heavily against a wall of jagged rocks. Norbrik and several other vikings emerged from the nearby treeline. It was a warm sunny day, the calm after the storm. It was not very long before when the ocean was held in the grip of a brutal storm. The Viking longships were more then sea worthy, they had sailed to the four corners of the world at one point or another. They easily withstood the storm, even if everyone on board got a good soaking.

There were a fair number of ships, sadly only four were accounted for. Norbrik and the others slowly made their way down to the rocky beach. One more ship had been found in somewhat mint condition.

One of the ships had been smashed against the rocks, it’s mast and oars were gone, it was battered in a dozen places but nothing that couldn’t been repaired.

Norbrik soon spotted a body floating in the shallows, face down. He ran over to it, a second later he stood up scowling “…didn’t make it.” He growled.

He proceeded to wade into the chill waist deep water, heading towards the wreck. “Olaf, Erik take the left, Leaf, Hagar take the right.”

The four vikings went their separate ways while Norbrik climbed up onto the deck. A brief search yielded a few drowned clansmen and one fellow who got crushed by a falling mast. Norbrik booted a bent helmet into the waters below.

“Vhere’d they all go?” Grumbled Olaf scratching his beard in bewilderment.

“They probley all just drowned.” Muttered Erik, dragging a corpse onto dry land.

“I don’t think so…” Snapped Norbrik, jumping from rock to rock.

“Vhy?”

“Two reasons. Number vone there’s foot prints leading into the woods. Number two, this one lad…” He gestered to a fallen viking three or four winters younger then him “…looks like he just got ravaged by a sea serpent.”

The other four ran over to him, “Vhy is that? Didn’t he just get splattered on de rocks?” muttered Olaf, scanning the ocean warily.

“Two reasons again. Number vone, he hadn’t been dead for more then a day. Number two he’s got about a dozen fang marks in ‘em. I’ve seen lads with them many times before…”

The five minfigs dragged six corpses ashore. Night was not far off now, Norbrik took one last look at the bodies and turned to his men. “Ve better get back to the camp, ve don’t know what monsters be lurkin’ on the island.” The other four nodded reluctently.

Once they came within sight of the campsite, they heard the sounds of some sort of commution. “Vhat could that be about?” Wondered Norbrik, resting a hand on the hilt of his sword…
Last edited by TheOrk on Sat Sep 17, 2005 3:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lord_Of_The_LEGO
Earl of Wells

Lord_Of_The_LEGO wrote:Ajaxx let a triumphant grin spread across his face.

“That be good. Then there be only one move left: my coronation.”
Grid: G-11

The next two weeks was a flurry of activity. Such a political shakeup of this magnitude had not occurred since the rise of Lord Void, and all of Dragonar was rattled. The battered Dragonsbane Brigade shored up the damaged Grolling Fortress in case of a desperate attack by Lord Void loyalists. No such attack occurred. Even before the upheaval of the BloodVaine War, unrest had been in Dragonar. Del Grakken’s betrayal had enforced it further, and even after the coals of war were extinguished and Del Grakken and his public followers were dead, unrest remained, especially in the outer isles of Borinais Dracis and Monolinous Dracis. Ajaxx had taken that unrest, and had turned it to his advantage. The result was one of Dragonar’s least bloody political overthrows ever. Lord Void had been sitting on a throne rotting away. It had only taken Ajaxx’s little push.

And so, Ajaxx’s rise to power was greeted with almost united national approval. Those who resisted -- mostly wizards and other magic folk -- were killed or imprisoned or run off. Flyers were sent out to many towns across Dragonar, announcing the date and place of King Ajaxx’s coronation. September 16, the Grolling Fortress. The Dragon Master multitudes poured in by the thousands. The Dragonsbane Brigade, temporarily under the command of Captain Dolter, was hard pressed to retain order.

Ajaxx had hidden himself away from the crowd. He was in the blackened remains of Lord Void’s stateroom. Japheth found him sitting on the charred, overturned desk. In his hands he gripped what appeared to be lumps of black coal. Japheth knocked quietly on the doorframe, then jumped away as it collapsed. Ajaxx looked up.

“Ajaxx?” said Japheth hesitatingly, “The crowds be waiting.”

Ajaxx smiled.

“And I be not even dressed. Careless.”

He stood and beckoned with his cupped hands.

“Come here, Japheth.”

Japheth crunched his was over burned beams and singed carpet.

“Here.” Ajaxx pressed forward his handful of coals.

Japheth took them. He suddenly knew what they were. They were the charred remains of Ajaxx’s chess set. Japheth could see a knob of a pawn, a curving back of a knight, the jagged top of a rook. Not all the pieces were there.

“It be for four years now I have commanded the Dragonsbane Brigade.” said Ajaxx quietly, “And ye be my side every day. Now it be time for me to take command of our nation. Now it be your time to take command of our Brigade.”

Ajaxx placed his broad hand on Japheth’s shoulder.

“Commander-General Japheth Dragonsbane.”

Japheth put his hand on Ajaxx’s shoulder.

“Milord King Ajaxx.”

++++++++++++++++++++++++++

The ceremony was short. Upon a hastily-build dais draped in the yellow and red colors of Dragonar stood Ajaxx, dressed in his heavy armor and crimson cape. His golden dragon helm sat atop his head, his four-foot-long great sword sheathed at his side. He stood alone, staring down at the masses before him.

“People of Dragonar!” he bellowed, “I greet ye all! I be Ajaxx! I be a man! A man not poisoned by magic! I be a man! What be ye?”

“MEN!” cried the crowd.

“Then ye deserve a man a king!” continued Ajaxx, “That is why I be here! I have come, come to the Grolling Fortress, and have taken back Dragonar for the men! The men! Not the sorcerers! Ye suffer the oppression of Void no more!”

There was a thunderous roar. The crowd deafened all. Not even a dragon could have been heard over the cry.

“WHO BE YE KING!” bellowed Ajaxx.

“AJAXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX!”

“WHO BE YE KING!”

“WHO BE YE KING!”

“I BE YE KING!” bellowed Ajaxx, “DRAGONAR BE OURS!”

The multitudes roared with approval. Items of all sorts were tossed into the air, and fireworks were shot into the air. Beer casks were broken open and boars were roasted. The gathered crowd of thousands began to celebrate the new era their mighty King Ajaxx had brought them.

High above the crowds, above the cheers and above celebration, a black form marred the pale blue sky. Lord Void, wrapped as always in his black cloak, sat saddled upon the ebony dragon. The ousted sorcerer leaned over and peered downward. A sneer twisted his face.

“Despite all efforts, I have survived. Hadadar couldn’t best me. Del Grakken couldn’t be rid of me. Even BloodVaine failed.”

Lord Void chuckled. For a moment, he appeared to be his old self.

“And, at risk of sounding cliché, my dear Ajaxx…”

Lord Void slipped his hand into his robes. He withdrew a small object. It was a chess piece. It was the black king.

“I will be back. I will be back.”
In the process of converting to [url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/nathanwells/]Flickr[/url].
Lord_Of_The_LEGO
Earl of Wells

Grid: A-12

Thedrikfjörge Bjeorsson wearily surveyed the pathetic remains of his once-grand longship, the Midgard. It had been dashed to shreds by those a-cursed reefs. Only shattered boards remained, and a few strips of cloth. Thedrikfjörge Bjeorsson spat into the foamy water and hefted his iron-bound round shield. It was painted in the colors of his clan, the crimson and black of the Bjeors. Around the edge were etched the runes, “Forever prevail, forever conquer”. The Bjeor clan motto. The same motto was etched into blade of the broadsword that hung at his side, and into the axe he help gripped firmly in his beefy right hand.

Thedrikfjörge Bjeorsson cursed the gods one last time before looking about. At least he and his crew had not shipwrecked along. Up the shore to the north was Norbrik Ogbriksson and his clan, and further on were several more ships. They had all been part of a raiding expedition, these clans, out to discover the mystical New World. Thedrikfjörge Bjeorsson snorted. Was this little island it? Was this what he had lost his ship and half his crew for?

“Hëgarth! Jëodik! Gather the crew. We go and join Norbrik!”

“Aye.”

With the surviving crew of the Midgard gathered, Thedrikfjörge Bjeorsson counted heads. He grimaced. Six men, including himself. Such loss. With nary an order, Thedrikfjörge Bjeorsson turned away from his vessel and walked down the beach toward the Ogbriksson clan, his crew following behind.

As Thedrikfjörge Bjeorsson approached, he saw Norbrik and his men tense, then relax.

“Norbrik!” greeted Thedrikfjörge Bjeorsson in their native tongue, “You live still. The gods have not claimed us all yet.”

Norbrik Ogbriksson nodded gruffly. “By Thor’s Hammer, aye, we live still.”

“Did other clans survive?” asked Thedrikfjörge Bjeorsson.

Norbrik’s men were already setting up camp. Some were manhandling cauldrons out of the more seaworthy longboats, and others were chopping wood. Some of Thedrikfjörge Bjeorsson’s men joined in.

“I know not.” replied Norbrik, “But I have sent some of mine into the wild to scout. There are footprints.”

“Place doesn’t look inhabited.” grunted one of Norbrik’s men, Olaf.

“An a-cursed place to inhabit.” grunted Thedrikfjörge Bjeorsson, “The whole island’s surrounded by reefs and shoals, by my reckoning. The water’s frigid but the weather’s warm. Horrible fog.”

Thedrikfjörge Bjeorsson looked at the chewed-up body of the young Viking lad. He grunted.

“And a-cursed serpents. Not many a ship would survive those three hazards long enough to make berth here.”

At that moment, Norbrik’s scouts returned. Between them walked a man.
Last edited by Lord_Of_The_LEGO on Tue Sep 20, 2005 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheOrk
Master

Post by TheOrk »

L-5 The Land of the Bulls

Kale thundered down the road, his horse wouldn’t last long going at this speed, but Kale wanted action. A quick glance over his shoulder told him his companions had given up with trying to keep pace. He weaved his way threw the rock crowned hills until the Taurus Stronghold came into view.
Kale allowed his exhausted horse to slow down as he made his way through the village at it’s base. The two spear wielding sentries at the gates greated him and let him pass. Leaping out of his saddle in the courtyard, he threw the reigns to a nearby page.

Kale nodded to several passing knights and made his way into the keep. He had to find Barbod-Kale was jolted out of his train of thought when a stabbing pain hit him in the head and stomache. Groaning, he clutched his sides and stumbled off into a disserted portion of the castle.

Something was wrong with the megablox. He had gotten these pains when ever he drank those strength potions. Gritting his teeth he forced himself upright. The pain could wait, Pythos could have waited but Kale had vowed never to meddle in his affairs ever again.

He made his way to Barbod’s study, where the Bull King would no doubt be bombarded with the boring affairs of state. He pushed the door open without bothering to knock. It was empty. He punched a wall and launched into a string of colourful words. He managed to cut himself off as a young maid passed.

“Where’s the King!?” He snapped hoarsely.

The nervous made mumbled “practicing” then walked off.

Kale was fed up, he wanted to crawl in a hole and wait for the pain to stop. He couldn’t see the castle healer, that would bring about to many questions. He could take the pain but not when he was surrounded by minifigs. He stumbled out of the keep, into the courtyard and through a side door. Barbod must be practicing with his spear again, he usually did that out back…
venvorskar
Bailiff

Post by venvorskar »

The dark shapes soon began resolving themselves into what Rodney recognized from an ancient book he had read, as MegaBlocks, a mysterious race of people that were seldom seen.

Rodney said, “I have heard of these people, we need to leave- NOW!”

All the companions jumped when he said this, and looked the door; but it was too late- the MegaBlocks had finished materializing and a few had gone to guard the door. There were two kinds of MegaBlocks: Hunched green Orcs with wooden weapons and large horns; and Tall and straight ones dressed in red armor, with a red helmet to go with it. The leader appeared to have a crystal on his helmet.

Rodney muttered to himself, “Well, I guess it’s time for some action.”

Darkold and Midark drew their swords. Midark was thinking how ironic it was, that the very act of trying to see a dragon before they died, would cause their death.

Rodney drew his ice spear and stabbed it into the arm of the nearest MegaBlox warrior. The arm froze over and fell off. This unbalanced the MegaBlox and it toppled over onto the ground. He started stabbing other Megablocks, and as soon as the ice touched them, they fell to the ground dead. Darkold was battling with an Ork and Rodney saw, that for someone his age, Darkold fought well. Midark was trying to get to Pythos, thinking if he killed him, that the MegaBlocks would vanish. Jother had pulled out a wand and was trying some half-hearted spells, but he looked terrified. Sir Valric was throwing himself into the fray and hacking at MegaBlocks right and left, with Sir Theodore at his side; all the Fright Knights were fighting the MegaBlocks without much success, in fact only Rodney seemed to have any effect at all.(with his spear)

Suddenly, in the middle of the room there was the sound of thunder, and a black flash appeared. Through it stepped a person in black and silver armor, but the strangest think about him was: he had no face! “STOP!” he commanded in a booming voice.
TheOrk
Master

Post by TheOrk »

L-12 Castle Dracul Dungeon

Pythos laughed maniacally as the creatures began emerging from the portal. Orcs and minifigs who in their search for perfection, went down the path of action figures, forsaking the path of creativity and high quality. Chodan, Heliopa, Ichtyess, the Dragon and the Wooden Duck cursed them to rot in the bowls of the megablox for all eternity.

Belzzar stepped backwards as the mutated things once called minifigs shambled out. “Pythos please end this now!” He spluttered his nerve eroding eith every passing second.

“Don’t worry dear nephew, it shall end now, once and for all time. I have studied the ways of megablox for uncounted centuries, they shall listen to my commands as they do Mephistar. You and your whole pitiful race shall now be “enlighted”” with that, Pythos ceased the sharade of being sane and unleashed a wave of raw mana at Belzzar. Gasping he dived behind a pillar.

One of Pythos’s traitor captains, Galaz turned to him in admiration. “Master the world is ours!”

Pythos turned to him “In order for you to be enlightened your souls must be freed of their vessels”

Galaz’s look of happyness turned to one of shock and revolsion as one of the minifigs in red armour drove a cursed spear through his heart.

The hundred Fright Knights who came to watch the ceremony were transfixed by it until a whole quarter of their number were slain. The remainder snapped out of the spell and realised they had been betrayed. With a roar the they threw themselves at the orcs and red knights who were pouring out of the portal.

The companions didn’t even need to go charging in as the fighting engulfed them. Valric leapt into them without checking to see if the others were guarding his back. The red armoured minifigs proved no match against the lumbering knight with the magic sword. The blade had been forged to destroy them in age long dead.

Theodore felt more comfortable fighting alongside Valric and rushed to his side. Darkold, Midark and Rodney were cut off as a fresh wave of enemies blocked them. The companions worked fluidedly, Valric and Rodney's’ weapons killed with a single hit and the others were skilled enough to hold their own as a group.

One knight threw himself one Theodore’s sword. Unable to wrench it free in time, he bludgeoned the next one with his shield. Darkold received a gash on his side and moved into a postion to defend Stickle who was launching spells left and right.

After taking the head off an orc, Valric turned to see Midark running for the platform on which the portal stood. “I thought I said Pythos was mine!” He laughed, shattering the skull of another orc.

Midark drove his sword into one elite red knight’s gut and moved onto the platform. Pythos had his back turned to him, he was too busy toying with the struggling Batlord down bellow. Midark advanced cautiously, seeing a stream of red knights running out the portal. The Batlord bellow collapsed for the final time. Pythos turned to see Midark staring at him. “Vinodara!” Pythos sent a blast of power at him, sending him flying backwards.

Valric and the others had caught up to him. Darkold dragged the dazed Midark into a corner while the two knights with magical weapons advanced on the green clad sorcerer.

The Fright Knights were getting butchered. They had been pushed back to the entrance at the otherside of the cavern. Fighting shoulder to shoulder. Several platoons of flamberg and scimitar wielding soldiers ran to reinforce them as fighting spread into the lower dungeons of Castle Dracul…
Suddenly, in the middle of the room there was the sound of thunder, and a black flash appeared. Through it stepped a person in black and silver armor, but the strangest think about him was: he had no face! “STOP!” he commanded in a booming voice.
Sir Kohran
Sheriff

Post by Sir Kohran »

Sir Kohran wrote:Yes, it's all going to plan...he thought to himself. So far, so good, but He knows where we are now, and the loss of many of His Wolves will have angered Him. We must move out as soon as we can...

With that, he fell asleep, as he always had done, with one eye open.
Grid: K-10

Solesstorn awoke very early, before the sun had even risen, but as he looked out of the window, he could just see that the sky was starting to grow pale to the east. Looking across the room, he could see that all of the Knights’ Kingdomers were still sleeping peacefully. He chuckled inwardly. Sleeping, like that, without a care in the world… Sighing, he took leave of his armchair, which he had grown rather attached to, so to speak.

I need some air, he decided. It’s been too intense these past few days…A quick walk won’t hurt...

With that, he left the inn (making sure to put a locking spell from the outside on the door) and left to brood in a nearby pine grove.

Santis was the first of the Knights' Kingdomers to be up, mainly out of habit. When he noticed that Solesstorn was missing, he was not unduly worried. The shifty-brick’ll probably show himself again soon... he thought. After dressing in a light scarlet garb, he went downstairs and bought breakfast for six from the inn-keeper, a warty fellow who charged far too much money, in Santis’s opinion.

When he arrived back upstairs, he found that Storm was also up, and Viktor.

“Morning, Vik, Storm,” he called. “Here’s breakfast.” he added, as he placed the food on the table.

“Thanks,” Storm said quietly, as she belted on her sword.

“My pleasure,” Santis replied. He paused, trying to think of something else to say. “So, how did you both sleep?”

“Last night...was the best night’s kip I’ve had in ages. Well, aside from your snoring, that is!” Viktor grinned.

“Ha! Me!? You snore louder than ten thousand dragons in a tornado roaring all at the same time!” Santis chuckled, before hitting Viktor lightly on the arm. Viktor, in turn, got Santis into a sudden headlock, which both men broke, and suddenly the two Easterners burst out laughing. It was the first time they had laughed properly sine the ball in Orion.

Storm said nothing. She was used to staying quiet when the men (usually her father and his knights) were around. Particularly if they were soldiers or carried weapons. Otherwise, she might attract…unwanted attention. It was the “unwanted attention” (that her father had quite approved of) that had driven her to do what she did. Storm shook her head, shutting off the memories.

Suddenly, a muffled cry broke out. Viktor and Santis stopped their fun immediately.

The cry was coming from Jaythus's bed. Though the young ambassador was still sleeping, he was kicking and crying madly. Old Mikelen, who had seemed to be asleep only a minute before, jumped up from his bed with surprising agility and shook the Talonjain awake.

“What was it, boy?” he asked quickly.

“Um...a dream. A...bad one.” Jaythus stammered slowly.

“Like...like that time back in Talonjay, lad?” Santis asked.

“Yes...quite.”

“What did you dream about?” Viktor questioned.

“I...don’t remember anything, except...except for a hand, reaching out...argghh! Make it stop!”

Jaythus, gripping his head, groaned in pain. Santis rushed over, and gently laid the boy down. Mikelen scanned over Jaythus’s pale face, before speaking.

“He needs a bit of rest and calm, and then he’ll be as good as gold.” the old man deduced. Everyone visibly relaxed.

“Where’s...Solesstorn?” Jaythus asked quietly.

“We’re all wondering the same thing, lad,” Santis answered.

“Yes,” said Viktor, “And anyway, isn’t it about tyco time that the nutter told us just WHY were out here?”

“Well, we’ll ask him when he gets back. Simple.” Storm said.

Solesstorn, was, in fact, still at his little pine grove.

There he sat on a tree-stump. And thought. He thought for a long time. He thought for such a long time that dawn was already rising by the time he had come to a conclusion.

Well, he thought to himself, now’s as good a time to tell them...everything.

Suddenly, the dark figure stepped out from behind a tree, smirking, as usual. Solesstorn narrowed his eyes as he saw his life-long companion - and life-long hate – appear.

“Are you sure that’s such a good idea?” he asked in a deep, oily voice. “Don’t you remember what happened the last time you “told all”? And who heard? Or have you already forgotten?” he added in a mocking way.

Solesstorn jumped up, waving his staff angrily. “Be off!” he shouted. “I stopped trusting you years ago. You ruined my life! Now, leave me be!”

“Have it your way, then.” the figure replied, before adding. “But it’ll go wrong. It always goes wrong for you.”

“It’s what I’ll do. I’ll tell them. Now, GO!” Solesstorn roared, his eyes blazing.

The dark figure did not respond. Instead, he just...faded away, like a morning mist in the wind, leaving behind a thin smile. Solesstorn sat back down, watching a little bird in the trees, allowing himself to cool down.

Yes, I will tell them now...he decided. It’s getting too dangerous at this stage to keep them in the dark. And besides, they have a natural right to know.

With his mind set, he took off back to the inn.

Solesstorn took a deep breath as he undid the locking spell on the door. As soon as he entered, an arm that he recognized as Viktor’s shot out from inside the room and pulled him in. Solesstorn didn’t bother to resist.

He was confronted by all of his companions: Jaythus, Santis and Viktor the Easterners, and Mikelen and Storm, the Westerners. All of them looked him in the eye, or tried to anyway. He said nothing.

“Listen, Solesstorn, or whoever you are...” Mikelen began.

Viktor cut in. “We’ve all had enough of this gallivanting about, risking our lives at every chance, with no idea of what we’re doing or where we’re going. So either tell us now, or we go right back to Orion.”

Solesstorn took a deep breath, and then spoke.

“Well then, it seems you’ve all gotten lucky, because now is the time when I will tell you...

...everything.”
Lord_Of_The_LEGO
Earl of Wells

Grid: P-10

Dale spent the next week digging and hauling clay and stones with the brawny MacDouglas girls. During that week, he gained a tan that evolved into a sunburn, and brought much soreness to his muscles. But he couldn't be happier. The ache in his legs, the calluses on his hands, even the rawness of the back of his neck felt good in a strange sort of way. It proved that he was alive.

At the end of that week, Fredfry's new cellar was complete. As thanks, Fredfry pressed upon Dale a fine drinking glass and had him over for dinner: wholesome turnip and potato stew with bits of dried venison and blueberry cobbler for dessert, all home-cooked by the red-cheeked, cheery Brigit MacDouglas.

"Mighty fine, Bridgey, mighty fine, my dear." sighed Fredfry, wiping his mouth with his napkin.

"Yes, indeed, Mrs. MacDouglas." said Dale, "Thank you for having me."

"No, thank you, Dale, laddie." chortled Fredfry.

"You helped us a lot!" piped up Maeve. Orla nodded.

Dale smiled.

"I'm glad I could help. I enjoyed it. It feels good to work."

"Harvesting's just 'round the bend." said Fredfry, "Alice told me you plan to stay. Well, I'm sure our farmers'll welcome another hand."

Dale smiled.

"I look forward to it."
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

Grid: M-5

As the Sea Elk softly rocked in the mist, Admiral Dractor turned to Gonderin. The elf had just come back from the shore, where he and a team of Forestmen rangers had made a secret landing the day before, to scout out the area. They were only a few leagues from Jewel Reef, now known as the Port of Dahnar. It was often misty along the Dark Forest coast, especially during the autumn, a fact that worked to their benefit.

"What's the news?"

"Not encouraging," said Gonderin. "There are 700 invaders in the city, all well-armed, as the previous reports noted. The invaders call themselves Ikrosians."

"Ikrosians?" said Thomas in amazement. "Isn't Ikros a land of plenty and GOOD??"

"So the tales say," said Gonderin, "but it has been many years since a Dametreosian had any contact with that land. Things may have changed."

"What are their defences like?" asked Sir Dractor.

"Jewel Reef is defended by a wooden palisade," reported Gonderin. "If we had proper siege equipment, it would be no difficulty, but lacking that, and lacking well-armoured men, we will be unlikely to be successful in storming it. Not with three times as many men as we have."

"What about the harbour?"

"Two of the Ikrosian ships stand watch, preventing any vessels from entering or departing. The rest, including a mighty vessel with a trebuchet, are docked in port.

"I should also mention," said Gonderin, "that we managed to make contact with the Dark Forest army. Prince-Commander Radjar Kath and his force of five hundred have joined the local detachment in Fort Spruceview, about a league to the south. Counting in the local detachement, men from the surrounding forts, and temporary recruits, they have about 700 men themselves."

"And we have about 350," mused Sir Dractor. "Certainly not enough to take the city. And none of our ships are large enough to take the harbour."

"If I may make a suggestion," said Gonderin, "the leader of the Ikrosians is one Commander DeValle, and it appears that he is of a most bloodthirsty nature. As a rule, bloodthirsty men do not always make the most rational decisions, if properly goaded."

"I've noticed that myself," said Sir Dractor. "Alright, I'm getting an idea."

As the captains gathered around the table, Sir Dractor outlined his plan.

"Our success will not be guaranteed, but if the Powers That Be smile on us, I think it can be pulled off. To start, we are going to need a small penetration force to sneak into Jewel Reef and commandeer the trebuchet ship. Because of the stability needed by such a vessel, and because of the great weight of the shot for the trebuchet, I doubt that it carries more than two or three shots at a time, so you'll have to make them count.

"On the assumption that you have two shots, I want you to use your first to take out one of the Ikrosian vessels guarding the entrance to the harbour. With your second, you are to fire at the pallisade walls.

"At this point, Commander DeValle should be aware that something is happening on his ship, and will likely rouse the majority of his men to take the trebuchet ship back. Presuming that this is the case, you are to make sail, and leave the harbour at full speed, drawing away the Ikrosian fleet away with you.

"I doubt that DeValle will send his full force after you, and if he is an experienced commander, he will be expecting a two-pronged attack. However, although the battle may be bloodier for it, once we half his men and have breached his walls, he must eventually fall. Assuming that he keeps 200 or 300 men in the city, the 400 or 500 he sends after us will be matched one for one by the men we have. (We will, of course, have to get Prince Radjar to send us a couple hundred men from his command.)

"That leaves about 250 men in the city, and 500 men under Prince Radjar's command. The Dark Foresters know the lands well, and will likely swamp the Ikrosians. Two to one odds is never favourable. Meanwhile, at sea, I want to take things as they come. If it looks like the Ikrosians have us bested, I'll split up the fleet and lead them on a wild goose chase until reinforcements can arrive. If it looks like we can take them, then I'll take the fight to them, drawing back after a while to lead them back to Jewel Reef, where Prince Radjar's presumably victorious men can help us trounce them."

"A risky plan," said Gonderin, "but I think it can work. It really boils down to one thing: can this penetration team get in secretly, quietly, and take over the trebuchet ship in time?"

"I have every confidence in the Forestmen rangers," said Sir Dractor. "Have I got any volunteers for the penetration team?"

"I'll go," said Thomas. Sir Dractor raised an eyebrow, but nodded gravely.

"Very well."

"I'll go as well," said Gonderin. "You're going to need someone who knows how to handle a trebuchet. I doubt that many Forestmen do."

"I didn't think that any Forestmen could handle a trebuchet," said Sir Dractor frankly. "Where did you pick up that talent?"

"Don't ask," said Gonderin, "it's too long a story."

"Very well," said Sir Dractor. "I'll leave you to selecting your team then, while I send rangers to Radjar, getting us those men, and informing him of our plans. Oh, and reminding him not to do anything rash."

"That last is most important," said Gonderin. "This plan is risky enough as it is."
SavaTheAggie
Lord Sava of Aggie

Post by SavaTheAggie »

Grid: L-5
Location: Inland, The town of CinderWood, the home of Maerl, the blacksmith

A sharp knock on his door woke Maerl with a start. He dared not answer it; the soldiers from Ikros could be behind it. This last day, hiding in his home, sleeping under his bed, had been a rough one. He had paid close attention as to not make it obvious anyone was there, never lighting his fire nor a single candle. He had not even ventured from his door since he had finally made it home.

Once again a sharp knock crashed against his front door. In the pitch of night, Maerl could barely distinguish the knocking on the door from the pounding of his heart.

"Open up, Maerl," a familiar voice called out. Maerl rushed to the door and opened it slightly. A blurr of a figure shoved the door open, pushing Maerl back, and then closed the door quickly. The Wanderer turned back from the door and stared at the blacksmith.

"Not smart, Maerl," the Wanderer said, shaking his head, "not only is this the first place they'd look, they'd know you're home."

"How?" Maerl asked in shock.

"There are day old footprints leading into your doorway."

"Oh..."

"Maerl, I need you to take Barahm and hide."

"Where is he, is he safe?"

"He's hiding in the trees, away from your house."

"Wait, why do you need me to take him?"

"I need to take care of something."

"What? What do you need to take care of? Where would I go?"

"Go see that giant man that you know... Fiero? He seems like a good man."

"He is, I can trust him." Maerl nodded quickly.

"Take Barahm there, keep him safe and out of sight. Both of you, do not be seen by anyone."

"What will you be doing?"

The Wanderer lowered his head slightly, running his fingers through his beard.

"Olivia is alive," the Wanderer said, staring at the floor.

"What??" Maerl gapsed.

"On our way here, we encountered a doctor, coming back from Dahnaris' camp. He said he had been dragged out there to heal a woman with grievous sword wounds. He was able to save her, but..." the Wanderer paused.

"But what?" Maerl asked frantically, grasping the Wanderer's shoulders firmly.

The cloaked man looked up into Maerl's eyes. His eyes were sad and lonely, the kind of sympathetic eyes that are seen when bad news is being delivered.

"...but he was brought there to save her, only so Dahnaris and his men could torture her, to twist her secret from her. I've got to rescue her."

"That blasted medallion?" Maerl growled.

The Wanderer pulled the medallion out of his cloak and off his neck, holding it up so Maerl could see.

"This medallion is worth the lives of every single life in Ikros and Dametreos combined."

"How? How could this tiny worthless thing be worth so much??" Maerl shouted in anger.

"This medallion is a record of the Ikrosian Royal family, going back over two thousand years. It is the birth certificate of every single King and Queen and their families that have ever ruled Ikros. The greatest King's names are on here, King Garren's name is on here... and Barahm's name is on here."

"What are you saying? You mean Barahm is..."

"Barahm is the proper heir to the Ikrosian throne. Olivia is the proper Queen of Ikros."

"But how could this be...?" Maerl asked himself, taking the medallion from the Wanderer's hand, studying it carefully.

"King Garren's great grandfather, Garlier, was the second born of the Royal Family. It never had sat well with him that he would never be King. A few years after his eldest brother, Olivia's great grandfather, became King, he had a young baby boy, and heir to the throne. Knowing that this child meant there would be no possible chance of his succesion to throne, Garlier killed his brother and his brother's wife, the King and Queen of Ikros, in their sleep. He then took the child and tossed him out of their window, expecting him to be killed from the fall. Garlier later claimed an assassin had killed the Royal Family, and proclaimed himself King of Ikros."

"And the child?" Maerl asked quickly.

"Galier did not count on the large mound of hay to break the baby's fall. That is where I found him, and when I quietly took him to a friend to be raised as his own. This is how the group your father belonged to was started."

"And my Uncle."

"Yes, your Uncle was the man we had decided would take care of Olivia. Little did we foresee them falling in love with one another. Little did I know they would have a child of their own."

"So little Barahm is a Prince of Ikros..." Maerl said softly.

"And now you are one of a very few who know. King Garren and Dahnaris do not know the true Royal bloodline of Ikros still exists. That boy, with that Medallion, has enough power to overthrow King Garren and not only save Ikros, but save Dametreos from a long and terrible war. Do you now understand the importance of keeping him safe; why I am here?"

"Yes, absolutely." Maerl nodded.

"Then go. Take Barahm and hide. Take the medallion and keep it safe as well. Bury it if you must."

"Of course..."

The Wanderer quickly opened the door to Maerl's modest home and sneaked through it, with Maerl in tow. The Wanderer crept through the night air to behind the house, calling out in a soft, bird-like whistle. A few moments later, Barahm's silouhette appeared from around a tree, and then crept to the two men.

"Barahm," the Wanderer knelt before the boy, "I want you to go with your Cousin Maerl for a while."

"But you said you would take care of me..." Barahm frowned.

"I need to take care of something very important," the cloaked man smiled gently, pressing his palm against the boy's cheek, "I wouldn't leave you unless it was really important."

"...ok," Barahm sighed.

The Wanderer smiled and stood up, putting the boy's hand in Maerl's. The cloaked man began to walk away, but before leaving, began to whisper in Maerl's ear.

"If I fail to rescue his mother, it means I've been killed. If I don't come back in one week's time, take Barahm and the Medallion and go as far away into friendly borders as you can."

"Yes, I understand," Maerl whispered in reply.

The Wanderer looked down at Barahm, who returned the same. Quickly rummaging his fingers through the boy's hair, the cloaked man darted off, heading north.

The Wanderer knew his chance of success were nearly zero. Taking on fifty men on his own was suicide, but Olivia deserved a chance. To fail this time would mean his own death, and for once in a very long time, the Wanderer did not wish to die.
[url=http://www.ikros.net][img]http://www.ikros.net/links/ikrosbuttonsmall.jpg[/img][/url]

Give a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

Grid: P-10
Formendacil wrote:"Celebrate, eh?" said Jarva, his mind already having shifted gears to think of drinks. "I suppose I can let you off this time. No harm being done, anyway."

"Of course not," said Drazzuil, deadpan.
"Oooohhhh..." groaned Drazzuil, waking up. "My head..." Gingerly he fingered his head. His helmet was gone, his head was matted with blood, and he had an enormous goose-egg bump on his skull.

"What happened?" he asked himself. Slowly, he took stock of his surroundings. He was in a dirty alley between the Pu and the next building. His helmet, sword, and shield lay scattered around him, and his clothes were filthy and a bit torn. Slowly he climbed to his feet.

He promptly fell back to the ground. As he gathered his shaky composure, he began to think back over the night before.

He remembered the Pu opening, and going in. Corporal Jarva had been there, and the three Korvalt boys (much to the disapproval of their mother, but Drazzuil didn't know that), and a smattering of other locals.

Drazzuil had been playing the celebratory envoy, buying everybody drinks, downing quite a few himself, and doing his best to make himself chummy with the locals.

He must have been doing too good a job of it, because he had certainly had too many drinks. Now some people, when drunk, get silent and moody. Not Drazzuil. Possibly because he was a bit silent and moody to begin with, very stereotypically Fright Knight in that regard, he became a very noisy, voluable drunk when he had had too much.

Whatever the reasons for it, he seemed to vaguely recall saying that he was looking for Harold Brakespear, and that he wanted everything to do with him. He must have mentioned something about Vækadær and his personality, because he seemed to recall the atmosphere in the Pu going very cold.

Everyone else had had too much to drink, and so they didn't think too much of taking on an armed soldier bare-fisted. Lucky for them, Drazzuil had had too much to drink as well, because he fought like an ordinary bum, and had obviously ended up in the street. It was all very hazy, but Drazzuil seemed to remember it going something like that, and it was quite plain that he had messed things up badly.

Once again, Drazzuil stuggled to his feet, and once again he splashed down into the mud again. However, he recovered more quickly, and on his third try he managed to drag himself out of the alley, and onto the edge of square, before collapsing again, just in time for Healer Melkan and his apprentice, Alice Clooney, to come by.

"Good Afternoon, my good fellow," Melkan hailed him, "you look like you could use a little assistance."

"If you'd call a healer, I'd be extremely grateful," said Drazzuil thickly.

"It just so happens that that's what we are," said Melkan, deadpan, as if they had just happened along. As it was, they had been crisscrossing the square all day, waiting for Drazzuil to make his appearance.

Melkan and Alice helped Drazzuil onto the street, and propped him up against the town well.

"Alice dear," said Melkan, "fetch up a bit of that water, and hand me one of the cloths. We need to clean this man up."

Alice's mouth twitched, and she set to work cranking up the bucket, and setting out some cloths in front of Melkan, who had knelt down by Drazzuil, and was loosening the straps of his breastplate, and pushing up his sleaves and pulling down his collar.

"So you're the Fright Knight that got the Korvalt boys all riled up last night," said Melkan conversationally. "Ah, thank you Alice- Careful now, the water may feel a little cold, the weather's been turning chilly- Ah, yes. Good!

"As I was saying, I heard all about that little tussle you fellows had. Smart of you to keep your blade out it, you'd have been run out town tarred and feathered on a splintery rail if you'd drawn a blade on them. All the same, you really didn't stand a chance unarmed. Those are big boys, strong as young oxen, and you're not quite as young as you once were."

"If I'd've had a level head, those country bumpkins wouldn't have seen another day," growled Drazzuil. Melkan smiled indugently, but very deliberately rubbed a rather stinging poultice into Drazzuil's cleaned scalp.

"Youch!" started Drazzuil, but Melkan pushed him down.

"Don't," he said. "It needs to heal. The sting will pass soon enough. Meanwhile, I would suggest that you drop your quest for Harold Brakespear."

"You know about that?" said Drazzuil, a bit surprised.

"Everyone in Hemmerington knows," said Melkan. "I don't know exactly how it went, and every man in the pub had a different version, but it seems that you asked where he was, and let slip that you had orders from some sorceror to find him and bring him back, at all costs."

"Er..." said Drazzuil. "I must have been really drunk."

"Maybe," said Melkan dryly, rubbing slightly harder than necessary on a bruise as he cleaned it. "But it's futile anyway. Harold Brakespear died this spring. I can show you the grave, if you like."

"What about his stuff?" asked Drazzuil, abandoning all pretense. "Did his family get it?"

"Harold Brakespear has no kin that we know of," said Melkan. "His belongings were parted out among old friends, and his home was given to a young blacksmith and his new wife. Anything else was disposed of."

"I thought he had a daughter," said Drazzuil.

"I believe she has been dead for several years," said Melkan. "Certainly, she has never been to this village."

Melkan did up Drazzuil's collar, and stood up, handing the cloth to Alice.

"Well, you're all patched up, right enough," he pronounced. "Fit enough to go on your way, I'd say. Let me give you a piece of parting advice, though. Stay out of Hemmerington. If you come back nosing around our villagers, you'll probably come to a sticky end. Have a pleasant day."

And leaving Drazzuil a bit confused against the well, Melkan and Alice walked away.

"Was that such a good idea?" asked Alice, "threatening him, I mean. He does work for some sorceror, after all."

"Captain Drazzuil will probably nose around and find Harold's tomb, and see the new blacksmith couple," said Melkan. "Once he learns that is true, I think he'll take my word for everything, and leave. I doubt if he'll report his little accident to his superior, and he'll probably pronounce it a dead end. We should be left alone.

"I just hope he doesn't run into Dale. That young man strikes me as the sort that would interest a Fright Knight, and I don't want this Drazzuil carrying tales to his sorceror master that might attract some unwanted attention to our village. No indeed."
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

Grid :J-10
Lord_Of_The_LEGO wrote:
“That it is.” said Adrian, then said, “Hey, I wonder if that Nathaniel is the same Nathaniel who wrote The Lord Of The LEGO?”

Hans’ eyes brightened.

“Perhaps he is! We should check that out when we get back to Orion!”
Summer was well and truly over. Lord and Lady Slacs-Sicl had returned from their long trip in the southern isles, and Hans and Adrian had been evicted from their residence.

Or perhaps "evicted" is the wrong word. More accurately, they left rather quickly. With Cate's parents around, hanging out under her roof just wasn't as fun as it had been.

"It's not that we don't like your parents, Cate," explained Adrian. "We do. Or, at least, I do. Your dad has a wicked sense of humour, and your mom has got to be the sweetest lady I've met in LEGOland, but the thing is..."

"They're getting the totally wrong impression," finished Hans. "They think that one or both of us is competing for your hand. What's worse, they're encouraging it. I don't want to know what you've done, Cate, that they're so eager to see you married off."

"Oh, come on you guys," said Cate. "They're just joking."

"MAYBE your dad is," said Adrian.

"And that's a big MAYBE," said Hans.

"But your mom definitely isn't," finished Adrian.

"So they've had a beautiful, fulfilling, and happy marriage, and want the same for me," said Cate. "What of it?"

"We'd rather not be the ones you marry," said Adrian. "At least, I'd rather not." He shot a pointed look at Hans, who blushed, coughed, and said.

"Erm... Me too, I think."

Cate laughed.

"So what?" she asked. "Everyone else has been assuming the same thing since Adrian rang on my doorbell, and we three started hanging out together. It hasn't bothered you before."

"It's just different with your parents," said Adrian. "And it's not as if we won't hang out all the time. We just want to sleep under a more secure-feeling roof."

So Hans and Adrian returned to Orion on their own. Upon returning, they discovered that Hans' old room had been rented out to a young Cavalier, and that his father, while willing to take him back, couldn't in all fairness evict the Cavalier on no reason before his term of lease was up.

"That's okay, Dad," said Hans, "I'll find my own place. At least I've still got my job at the Archives."

"Actually..." Lew Lentawl cleared his throat, "you don't. Sorry, son, they went over my head and hired Agrarian's daughter instead."

"Bummer," said Hans.

"Well," said Adrian, as they sat at the Lentawl's kitchen table, both unemployed and both without a home.

"We could share some rooms," suggested Hans. "Split the cost. You've still got some money saved away, right?"

"Enough for a while," nodded Adrian, "but the money's going out, and there's none coming in."

"Same here," said Hans. "Any suggestions?"

"Maybe Cate," said Adrian. "She's got a lot of connections."

"Yeah," said Hans. "This isn't going to be the best experience I've ever had, asking Cate to get her dad to get me a job."
Robin Hood
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Robin Hood »

Robin Hood wrote:Spluttering water, Aiden growled. "That thieving captain. He’s practically committed murder. We'll never make it to land."

Looking at the now shrinking Hard Luck, Kae-Os replied, "Oh we will. And I'll make sure that that fat captain gets his due. I think that he needs to taught a lesson in guest courtesy."
Grid: B-15

The voyage, per-say, was a hard one. For almost a week, the two men floated on the sea, with no hope of rescue. They would not have survived even that long, save that Kae-Os had a water-skin on him, and that they had managed to catch three fish.

As it was, when they finally washed up on an unknown shore, they (at least Aiden) were barely alive.

The beach they washed up to was a small cove amongst towering cliffs. Past it, all that could be seen was grass, waving in the breeze.

Kae-Os blearily got to his feet. His eyes and mouth were salt encrusted, his throat parched. His armored suit had done fairly well in keeping him warm, but every inch of his body was soaked. And yet he had faired better than Aiden.

The elf's companion was unconscious. He had blacked out several hours before, through heat exhaustion and lack of food and water. Kae-Os was privately surprised that Aiden had lasted that long. Most men would have died by now.

Fighting back the urge to collapse and fall asleep, the elf pulled his companion up the beach. By the time he reached the grass, it was too much work to pull Aiden.

Dropping his friend, the elf struggled back to the beach. Reaching it, he searched for a piece of driftwood. He soon spotted a small branch, about two feet long, lying half buried in the sand. Pulling it out, Kae-Os stumbled back to Aiden.

He collapsed beside his friend, too wearied to stand, and drove the stick into the ground. He then drew out of his clothes, a bright red piece of cloth. With trembling hands, the elf tied it to the stick. Should anybody pass by them, he would see the cloth and investigate, hopefully finding them before it was too late.

Having done all his weakened body would let him, Kae-Os fell to ground beside his friend and the world turned dark.
I build, therefore I am.

Brave words coming from a guy called grapenuts.
SavaTheAggie
Lord Sava of Aggie

Post by SavaTheAggie »

Grid: L-5

"Tell me!" Dahnaris shouted, slapping Olivia's face with the back of his hand. With every moment that passed, he was becoming more and more frustrated and angry with his lack of progress with his prisoner.

"I will not betray my oath," Olivia spat, struggling against the ropes tieing her between two trees.

"It would seem to me..." Dahnaris said, suddenly regaining his composure, "that I need to have you spend more time with my soldiers. Would you like that? They enjoyed you the last few times..."

Olivia turned away from her captor, turning her head to face the ground.

"This doesn't have to be so difficult," Dahnaris said softly, moving closer to her, "I have it in my power to release you, to return to your son at any moment. All you have to do is tell me whatever insignifigant thing you have been hiding for so many years; what has burdened you for so long."

"...never..." Olivia said, weakly.

"In fact you could be cradling your young son in your arms this very night. You could see his fresh, young face once again, smiling at you, so happy to have you in his life once more..."

"My son is strong, and he is protected now more than I could ever hope to."

"Ahh yes, our mutual, antisocial, cloaked friend..." Dahnaris smiled, standing up straight before her, "I'm not sure about that... He has this terrible track record of letting those he cares about most find themselves in the deepest of trouble. One would say the man is... cursed."

"Your King was the one who took his family from him, any curse that poor man has is the doing of Ikros!"

"Perhaps...," Dahnaris began slowly pacing before her, "but he is an old man, now. Old men may have wisdom and great skill, but they hardly possess the stamina or strength to persevere. In a few years he will be on his death bed, and where will your son be, then, hmm?"

"You ignorant fool..." Olivia smiled.

"I suppose we really are drifiting away from the topic at hand, aren't we?" Dahnaris said, brushing off her comment, "Let us talk about..."

"Vice-Admiral!" a soldier ran to them, coming to a stop and saluting.

"Yes, what is it?" Dahnaris saluted in return.

"Sir, three of our men have gone missing."

"Cowardice?" Dahnaris raised an eyebrow.

"No sir, we cannot find them, but we've found some of their equipment, and..."

"And...?" Dahnaris said, irritated.

"And blood, Sir."

"Call the scouts in, form a perimeter!" Dahnaris ordered.

"Yes Sir!" the soldier saluted and then ran off.

"It would seem our cloaked friend has come for you, Olivia," Dahnaris addressed her, "Now if he's here... who is protecting your son?"

"My son is safe, he would have hid him well."

"Perhaps. But did he hide him well enough to protect him from the twenty-five men I sent out this morning to kill him? I think not. Especially with all the spies in the forest I've been able to hire."

"No..." Olivia gasped, tears welling up in her eyes.

"Over there!" a voice called out.

"No, over there!" another cried.

"YYYAAAAAAARRGGGHHH!!!..." a third voice called out in pain, and then went silent.

"He's here!" Dahnaris called to his men, drawing his sword, "Move closer to the fires, do not let him use the shadows!"

Another voice cried out in pain and vanished, and another. The Ikrosian soldiers began moving closer to the firelight, their swords were trembling.

"There!" a soldier called out, pointing to a shadow of a figure dashing between tree to tree.

"Over here!" another soldier shouted, pointing to a similar figure.

One more Ikrosian voice called out in terror, and just as quickly was silenced.

"Come out and face me, you cloaked-coward!" Dahnaris called out, spinning around, studying the shadows of the trees, "These gorilla tactics will not work on me!"

"Let the girl go," a voice called out from the distance.

"I think not," Dahnaris replied.

"I've already killed three of your scouts, and four of your men here. What makes you think I'll be stopped by your remianing one and a half dozen?"

"I have the power to kill this woman in an instant," Dahnaris said, pushing his sword up against Olivia's stomach, "what makes you think you'll stop me in time?"

The voice in the distance did not reply. Dahnaris began looking around quickly, taking his sword away from Olivia as he moved.

A fifth soldier quickly disappeared into the night, making only a whimper of scream before he was silenced. Three of the remaining soldiers ran off, dropping their swords as they fled. Dahnaris growled at the sight, mumbling something about the weak nature of the modern soldier.

"Your numbers dwindle, Dahnaris" the voice called out again.

"And yet you remain a coward!" Dahnaris shouted in reply.

"Who is the coward? The man who uses his surroundings, or the man who uses the innocent to gain the advantage?"

"This is no innocent!" Dahnaris called out, staring into Olivia's eyes, "This is a conspirator against King Garren and the mighty Kingdom of Ikros!"

"In your eyes," the voice replied.

"So what do we suggest we do about this situation? You can continue killing my men until you lose all advantage of the night, and I can continue to make this poor girl bleed," Dahnaris began pressing his sword point into Olivia's side, causing her to cry out in pain.

"Stop!" the voice cried out.

"Where is this getting us, my friend?" Dahnaris smirked, "If I kill this woman, you lose by not saving her, and I lose by not finding out her secret."

"Fight me, Dahnaris."

"Oh? Fight you? How noble."

"Best me in single combat and I will reveal to you her secret and the secret of with all whom she dealt."

"And if I should lose?"

"You really don't want to lose, Dahnaris."

"And just how do I know you will keep your word?"

"On my honor, Dahnaris, I swear it."

"Awfully hard for me to take the oath of a beggar swordsmen," Dahnaris scoffed.

"Then take the word of an Ikrosian Knight," the Wanderer said, stepping out into the firelight. Several soldiers raised their swords to the man, but dared not approach him.

The Wanderer ripped off his cloak, tossing it aside, revealing shimmering scale mail beneath, intricately and ornately crafted, bearing the Royal Seal of Ikros.

"An Ikrosian Knight?" Dahnaris whispered to himself in disbelief.

"I, Sir Kullvox, Lord of the Knights of the Lion's Crest, servant of King Ulmerad and his bloodline, pledge to you all of my knowledge of the secret you seek if bested in single combat."

"Excellent," Dahnaris smiled, "Let's begin."
[url=http://www.ikros.net][img]http://www.ikros.net/links/ikrosbuttonsmall.jpg[/img][/url]

Give a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.