Classic Castle Roleplay: September 2005

LEGO gaming, including group role playing games
SavaTheAggie
Lord Sava of Aggie

Post by SavaTheAggie »

Grid: N-4

"Anything else you'll need?" one of the men said, wringing his fingers happily.

"Spirits, something smooth," the dapper man said, looking about him.

"Of course!" the man clapped his hands, motioning to his workers.

"This will cost a fortune," one of the soldiers whispered to the dapper man.

"It probably will, Commander DeValle," he replied, waiving the concern aside.

"How can you do business with these... pleople?" DeValle growled. The dapper man looked over the town slowly, studying the buidlings scattered throughout the treetops.

"It is sometimes necessary to deal with primitives," he replied, "even if their choice of lodging is questionable. Living in trees, how uncivilized. And just why do they all insist on wearing green?"

"Vice-Admiral," a soldier walked briskly to him, saluting, "the supplies are nearly loaded."

"Excellent," he replied, saluting. Vice-Admiral Dahnaris was very pleased with himself. With these supplies, his troops would be well stocked for the coming days. His mission was given to him by King Garren himself, and Dahnaris wasn't about to let something like starving troops get in the way.

Commander DeValle, on the other hand, was looking about angrily. His mind was always focused on the bottom line, and in his mind letting a few extra troops die to save on supplies was perfectly acceptable. It was little wonder why the troops called him Commander 'Devil' behind his back. He was Dahnaris' enforcer and right hand man, keeping order with an iron fist, and loved what he did.

Dahnaris turned to view his flotilla of ships sitting offshore, their broad hulls sitting still upon the water. He always had a swell of pride fill him whenever he saw them together as they were. So majestic, so powerful, the finest examples of Ikros' ships of the line. Each of his five ships carrying 150 soldiers ready to do whatever whim entered him.

"So how will you be paying for this?" the merchant asked giddily.

"Of course," Dahnaris smiled, "And what is the total?"

"For you, since you have nearly bought out my entire inventory, I will give it all to you for only 700 gold pieces!"

"Only 700?" Dahnaris said, then looking over to DeValle, "What a bargain! Why not make it 800?" He turned back to the merchant.

"800 gold pieces, sir?"

"No, 900, I insist." Dahnaris smiled broader.

"You aren't very good at haggling, are you my lord?" the merchant chuckled nervously.

"You are very correct," he smiled, waving his hand slowly in the air, "I will tell you what, here is my offer."

A series of claps and chatter echoed off the surrounding buildings. The merchant glanced over to the ships in the harbor only in time to see a huge wooden arm swinging over the deck of one of them, and a small dark object flying through the air above it. The large stone ball tore through the trunk of a nearby tree, no less than ten yards away, causing the tree and the house it held to crash to the ground.

"You'll walk that way,' Dahnaris said, pointing inland, "And I wont' do that again."

"You theives! You won't get away with this! My people will kill you all!"

"Oh really?" Dahnaris scoffed, "Can your people defend against the might of the Ikrosian Trebuchet Ship, the most technologically advanced ship on the high seas? Can your people defend against the 750 battle hardened soldiers that will pour ashore in the event that you even attempt to kill me? I think not."

Dahnaris and his entourage began walking away towards their landing craft, with the merchant calling out to the town for help. A few townfolk had already gathered to assess the damage from the falling house, or to investigate the huge round boulder now lodged in the forest floor of their town.

"What of the tree people of this village?" DeValle asked as they rowed back to their ship.

"Take care of them," Dahnaris said coldly. DeValle quickly stood, motioning to the soldiers on the ship ahead of them.

Small fires began appearing on the decks of the four main ships, while a larger fire exploded into a bonfire on the deck of the trebuchet ship. A few moments later, the trebuchet ship fired again, lobbing a huge, burning mass towards the city; a torrent of flaiming arrows followed it from the other ships. The burning mass exploded upon impact in the middle of the sea-side town, sparking many of the trees and houses ablaze.

The flaming arrows landed closer to the shore, but most found their mark among the dried driftwood piles and salt-dried foliage about the houses there.

Hundreds of villagers began pouring out of the town and into the sea to escape the intense heat, while a brave few began hopelessly fighting the fires.

"To the mainland," Dahnaris smiled, climbing aboard the flagship.
[url=http://www.ikros.net][img]http://www.ikros.net/links/ikrosbuttonsmall.jpg[/img][/url]

Give a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
Maedhros
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Maedhros »

Grid: J-14

Mircea looked at the 18 Brothers of the Dragon who had been able to answer his call. They were all dressed in the white and red livery of the Order and sat atop beautiful and noble steeds. They were brave and strong men.

"Brothers, the Dragon has given me a new vision. We shall ride to the castle of Milash and defeat the evil which resides there. You have all served the Dragon faithfully many times before and I hope that you will do so again."

Mircea felt the excitement rise inside him. The excitement spread to the horse which began to tramp anxiously. He whispered a few words to it and it calmed down once again. Then he raised his axe and shouted out with all his force:

"For the Dragon!"

The knights raised their swords and answered him.

"For the Dragon!"

The shouts drew many people to the citywalls and they watched the 19 valiant knights ride towards the horizon.
"Hinc satis elucet maiorem habere uim ad discenda ista liberam curiositatem quam meticulosam necessitatem.”
- Augustinus Hipponensis
TheOrk
Master

Post by TheOrk »

L-12 Castle Dracul

It was not long now, not long at all. Pythos had finished with the preperation. Now he simply had to complete the main ritual that make him undisputed master of the world. Below the Castle Dracul’s dungeons and vast cave system lay a huge cavern. The slaves had at long last finished the great portal

within. The giant monstrosity was built entirely out of megablox. There was an entire mass grave outside as a testimate to the megablox’s affect on simple minifigs.

The twisted sorcerer stood before the portal, overseeing the slaves clean up the building materials. He had already been able to summon several demons to his aid but with this he could summon hundreds, thousands. The whole of Dametreos could be awash in blood with them. And it will.

“When’ll this whole buisness be done sir?” Asked Galaz, one of his captians.

“The ritual lasts an entire day.” Said Pythos gleefully. “Now we’ll just spruce it up abit for the occasion.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The six companions had to endure another night of terrors. They wouldn’t try taking shelter in the same village as Count Belzzar. The next one was several miles away. A pack of bloodwolves had stalked them every step of the way.

“Bloody wolves! At least they had the courtesy to provide us with new coats!” Laughed Valric hysterically.

One had taken a good chunk out of his leg. The village healer, so it seemed, was good enough to have him up and running within that very day. Until then Valric helped himself to some alcohol. “To ease the pain” he laughed to anybody who asked.

Theodore shook his head and turned to the other four sitting at a small table in the corner, watching the proceedings. “So we’ll be going in through some secret passageway?” Asked Rodney, who was writing something amidst his jumble of notes.

“Aye.” Muttered Theodore, the crazy old hag treating Valric had shoved some foul concoction down his throat.

“It’s good fer ye shoulder!” The hag shrieked, mangling her cat.

“…Witch…” Muttered Theodore crumpling into a chair.

He looked at Rodney and nodded “that’s it, just sneak in, kill the wizard and get out through the same tunnel afterward.”

Darkold and Midark looked at eachother, “where exactly does a dragon come into all of this?” Asked Midark.

“The Count has several.” Coughed Valric, trying out his leg. He limped over to the window, the dark bulk of Castle Dracul was framed against the sky. He grasped the hilt of his sword, which seemed to had a faint glow this close to the castle. It wasn’t long now.
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

Grid: Q-18
Formendacil wrote:And as Bartavlo ended the telaharm, the crystal went dark. Vækadær summoned a servant.

"Bring Captain Drazzuil to me. I have an assignment for him."

"Yes, milord."
Drazzuil had left. His deputy, Cronar, had assumed most of his duties, except for those elitist ones that Vækadær had taken on himself. One of those was handling the messages from his contacts across Dametreos. Cronar, while capable, was not as demonstably as loyal as Drazzuil, and so not permitted to see the dark Lord's secret correspondence.

One such message came from Castle Dracul. Or rather, from the nearby village. One of Vækadær's spies sent him a message updating him on the status of the local turmoil.

"Interesting," thought Vækadær, mulling over the news. Perhaps it was time to add to the mix.

"Captain Cronar," he summoned his officer. "Select a regiment, and prepare to have it sent to Dracul province, on the mainland near the Classic border. Send the commanding officer in to speak with me."

"Are you planning to aid Lord Belzzar?" asked Cronar.

"That is none of your concern, captain," reprimanded Vækadær. "But the answer is no. I am merely making good use of the conflict to insert 200 men into his territory while no one is watching. But their target is not Belzzar, or his land, but something else..."

"What is that?"

Vækadær looked at Cronar coldly. "As I said, it is none of your concern." And with a wave of his hand, he dismissed Cronar.

As Vækadær waited for Cronar to select the regiment, he was contacted by Andrei Bartavlo. The batlord had news.

"Lord Marshal Elbadar and his men have finished their campaign in the Wolfpack highlands," reported Bartavlo. "He is currently resting his troops before returning south. He has no current commission."

"Excellent," said Vækadær through the crystal. "Contact Po Lee, and send him to Elbadar immediately. He knows what he is to do."

"The Ninjarian?" said Bartavlo, his raised eyebrows visible in the crystal. "As you wish, Milord."
Lord_Of_The_LEGO
Earl of Wells

Post by Lord_Of_The_LEGO »

Lord_Of_The_LEGO wrote:Amid this bustle was Japheth, slinking quietly away in the darkness. When he was far enough away, he quickly withdrew his travel-size crystal ball and spoke softly.

"Opal? I need your help."

A few feet away, Morgue readied his blowgun.
Grid: F-10

Morgue slipped a deadly dart into the hollow tube and brought it to his lips. His cheeks expanded like billows, then --

There was a flash of light, and another figure appeared. Morgue sucked in his breath in shock, nearly swallowing the dart. Quickly, the assassin put away the blowgun, and like a gazelle, began to bound away through the dark forest.

“Opal!” Japheth hissed, pushing her further into the brush, “I be needing your help! But don’t be seen!”

Opal wrinkled her brow in a mock pout.

“Jaffy, cupcake, what’s a matter?”

“Void sent an assassin.” said Japheth said, nervously looking about, “Captain Dolter’s be wounded. Ajaxx sent me to find the assassin. You be needing to help me!”

Opal sighed dramatically, “As you wish, Jaffy sugar. But you must really start doing stuff on your own…”

----------------------------

It was the next day. The Dragonsbane camp as Ttrank was being disassembled. Japheth and Opal were still in the surrounding woods. And there quarry, Morgue, was far away, supping in a Royal Knight town located on the Royal Knight panhandle. He was sipping the last of his soup when a broad person clad in black armor approached his table. The knight sat uninvited in a chair and lifted up his pointed black visor.

“Morgue of the Wolfpack?” queried the knight.

Morgue nodded.

“I am Sir Fredric de Kére of the Black Knights.”

Morgue nodded.

de Kére twirled a black walrus moustache with his mailled hand.

“You specialize in…the removal of persons…am I correct?”

Morgue nodded.

de Kére raised his hand. Two black-cloaked squires approached, struggling to haul forward a wooden chest. They shoved it onto the table, which creaked in complaint, and one of them pulled open the lid. Golden Black Knight dublairs gleamed.

“That will be you payment,” said de Kére carefully, “to assassinate King Sirion.”

Morgue nodded.

“Do you accept?” asked de Kére.

Morgue nodded.

“Then I bid you good day.”

de Kére rose and strode out, his squires scampering after him. Morgue rose and shut the lid of the chest, pushed it to the floor, and began to drag it. Once it was stowed he would go to work immediately on de Kére’s request. de Kére had paid Morgue almost twice as much to killed King Sirion as Lord Void had paid to kill Ajaxx Dragonsbane. Highest bidder always one. Lord Void’s request would have to wait.

------------------------------------

Opal wiped her brow.

“If there’s an assassin in these woods, he’s far, far away.” she said with finality, “My magic can’t detect him.”

Japheth nodded slowly.

“That be good. Thank ye, Opal.”

Opal giggled and said, “When you’ve got time, Jaffy, visit me!”

Then the Fright Knight witch vanished, teleporting back to her mansion hundreds of miles away. Japheth returned to camp. He found Ajaxx shouting orders to some soldiers packing tents.

“Well, Japheth?” asked Ajaxx impatiently, “What news?”

Japheth said solemnly, “I found ‘em, Ajaxx, and killed him. That assassin be poisoning no more.”

Ajaxx nodded in triumph.

“That be good. Ready yeself, Japheth. We march to the Fire Breathing Fortress.”

Japheth was taken aback.

“Now/”

Ajaxx nodded.

“Now. The men be ready. They be riled up. Best time to attack be now.”

Japheth nodded slowly. But inwardly he felt a twinge of apprehension.
In the process of converting to [url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/nathanwells/]Flickr[/url].
Sir Kohran
Sheriff

Post by Sir Kohran »

Yes, I know, I should have posted sooner. I apologise. Really. You all have permission to burn me, slash me, etc. Just leave me long enough to post, please?
Solesstorn nodded slightly. "Very well, we can´t stay here. Where are you heading?"

Hidemitsu shrugged some water out of his long dirty hair and glanced at Kor. There was another long silence and the Eastern Knight´s Kingdomers began to fidget.

Finally Hidemitsu spoke again:
"Southeast, my ship is waiting by the coast. And you?"
Grid: K-10

Solesstorn paused for a second, staring about himself. There didn't appear to be any living Orcs or wolves left upon the bloody plain, but he had to be sure. Looks all clear... he thought, before speaking in a low voice to the Ninja.

"We are heading for the Crusader lands, ninja."

Hidemitsu coolly raised an eyebrow. "What do three Jel-" he cut off as he noticed Viktor narrowing his eyes- "Easterners and a rogue wizard have to do in a Crusader land?"

Solesstorn lowered his voice almost to a whisper, and the others had to strain their ears to hear it.

"Important business - more important than you could ever understand - that concerns all of Dametreos, and if you tell any Orcs, or anyone else for that matter where we are going, then when - or if - all this is done, I will personally find you and torture you in the worst ways possible."

A heavy silence fell over the whole scene. Hidemitsu's dark eyes hardened, and met Solesstorn's eyes in a strange battle of staring. Jaythus saw everyone else, even Santis and Viktor, and this 'Kor' person, somehow shrinking from the two tall figures.

Suddenly, Jaythus felt an odd feeling well up in his stomach. HE was tired and a bit shocked by the fighting, and his blue armour was smeared with Orc blood, but he still felt a thrill through his limbs, and for no real reason, he sprang betwen the conflicting ninja and the wizard.

"Stop this!" he cried passionately. "I don't know what's going on, but it's not helping anyone but the Orcs, I think."

"He shows wisdom beyond his years," the ninja observed. "By the way, you might be wanting this..."

Hidemitsu tossed Jaythus's steel grey Morcian blade out to him. The young ambassador caught the sword roughly.

"Um...thankyou." he murmured, feeling strangely out-of-place with all these ninjas and wizards and fighters. He quickly retreated to Santis and Viktor.

"That was well-done, lad," the big Knight whispered. Jaythus could detect a hint of pain in his voice.

Solesstorn turned to Kor. Out of the corner of his eye, he could spy the dark figure standing there, chuckling silently. He ignored the figure.

"So, where are you going?" he asked Kor.
Lord_Of_The_LEGO
Earl of Wells

Lord_Of_The_LEGO wrote:Alice turned about in the doorway, smiling gently.

“Rest well, Dale.”

Dale nodded, then she was gone.
Grid: P-10

It was the fifth day of September when Dale at last saw the sun directly again. For over a month he had remained indoors, in the care of Mistress Korvalt, Alice Clooney and Healer Melkan. But today, Healer Melkan deemed Dale fit.

“Really?” asked Dale, pleased.

Healer Melkan smiled, packing up his bag of herbs.

“Yes indeed, Dale. You have healed well, thanks mostly in part to Alice.”

Alice blushed and Melkan nodded, sending his hair bouncing atop his head.

“You are no longer my patient, Dale.” said Melkan, snapping his bag shut with finality.

With a wave, he left the room. Dale crawled out of bed, in a sort of daze. He looked at his hands and arms. They were fleshed out now, and though they were still pale, Dale’s stomach no longer churned when he looked at them.

“Come,” said Alice, “Let me show you about Hemmerington.”

Dale dressed and, feeling slightly awkward, descended the narrow staircase that led to the Korvalt’s kitchen. Mistress Korvalt was at the wrought-iron stove, jabbing at the glowing coals with a poker.

“Paul!” she called, not noticing Alice and Dale, “Step lively with those logs! I won’t have the fire die on me and ruin my loaves!”

“Yes, Mother.” came a resigned reply.

Alice harrumphed slightly and Mistress Korvalt turned, wielding her poker like a sword. She smiled when she saw them and put the poker aside.

“Dale! So good to see you up!”

Dale bowed slightly.

“Mistress Korvalt,” he said, “Thank you for you hospitality, your food, and your willingness to house me. I am in your debt. Please, how can I repay you?”

Mistress Korvalt brushed aside Dales offer like she would flick away a fly.

“Tish-tosh, Dale. There’s nothing to repay. I couldn’t have just left you in the dust, could I?”

Dale was about to respond but Mistress Korvalt had already turned away.

“Paul! If I don’t see a nice pile of oak in here now, you’re sleeping outside tonight!”

“Yes, Mother…”

Alice tugged at Dale’s arm.

“Come…” she said.

Alice led Dale through the cluttered Korvalt kitchen and out the front door. Bright sunlight hit Dale, and he squinted. When his eyes had adjusted, he looked about.

“Hemmerington.” announced Alice, “The homiest village on Fell Isle.”

Dale said nothing. He simply looked about. Hemmerington certainly did give off an air that only close-knit villages could. Planted inland several miles and in think forest, the buildings of Hemmerington were clustered around the most important thing in a village: the well. A dusty road split the cluster in two, traveling roughly north/south. Houses were a mixture of wood, brick and stone houses. Some had two stories, most only one. Workshops were either built to the side or were the first story of buildings.

“Come.” said Alice pulling him along.

As they stepped off the wooden porch, three heads suddenly snaked away from around the corner. Dale thought he recognized Erik as one of them. Alice snorted.

“Boys.” she said dismissively.

“Who?”

“The Korvalt boys,” said Alice, a mock grimace on her face, “Erik, Paul and Matthew. They’ve been stalking me for years. Pay them no mind.”

“Stalking?” repeated Dale, concerned.

Alice laughed.

“They’re all…besotted with me, let’s say. It’s amusing to watch the three of them fight over who is going to help me over the creek, as if I need help…”

“Where is Mister Korvalt?” asked Dale, thinking suddenly that he hadn’t see the man the entire time he had been at the Korvalt homestead.

“Dead.” said Alice quietly, “He died years ago in a woodcutting incident. A felled tree crushed him.”

Dale said nothing.

Alice continued, “Erik was only ten. Paul was eight, and Matthew seven. Mistress Korvalt is an amazing woman. She managed to keep her household together, three boys, a cow, three chickens and a cat, all while also keeping her sanity. She’s a strong woman, strong and tough. I admire her.”

Dale contemplated this as they walked the streets. Dale examined the buildings. Though the dust of the road coated the buildings, there was little feeling of ‘dirtiness’ in the town. Dale absentmindedly mentioned this to Alice. She laughed.

“Kevin, our gong farmer, prides himself in his work. Look, there he goes now.”

Alice waved to a man in a striped red-and-white shirt. He was hauling a two-wheeled cart full of dung, and wore a blue knotted rag and eye patch. A battered shovel was stuck triumphantly in the pile like a spear. Kevin acknowledged Alice’s wave with a wink and continued on his way, whistling jauntily.

“I’m surprised anyone would like that job.” commented Dale with a crooked grin, wrinkling his nose.

Alice looked at Dale seriously.

“It is a vital job. Without Kevin, disease would fester in the streets. Plague would be rampart. We’d all die.”

Dale said nothing, admonished and mortified.

“Besides,” Alice continued, “Kevin’s father is a farmer. That dung is put to good use as fertilizer.”

Dale nodded.

“I’ll never scoff at a gong farmer again.” he said.

They continued onward, past Les Loreshight’s cobbler shop, and Fredfry the glassblower’s home. They all exchanged greetings with Alice and welcomed Dale genially. Next came a sturdy-looking building, built alongside a two-story house constructed in the Tudor fashion.

“This is Medao’s smithy, and that’s the home of Clyde and Roberta Whetton, newlyweds who just moved here.”

“The smithy and house are owned separately?” asked Dale, puzzled.

Alice nodded.

“They used to belong to one man, Harold Brakespear, a master armor smith, but he died. His grandson Thomas left Hemmerington soon after, giving everything away.”

Alice’s face grew sad.

“Poor Tom. I liked him. He loved his grandfather very much.”

To break the silence, Dale asked, “Where do you live?”

Alice pointed.

“There. My aunt’s place.”

She didn’t move forward. Dale waited, but she said no more. Dale coughed.

“Well, then…”

He shrugged his shoulders.

“There must be some type of work needed around here.”

Alice looked at him.

“Why do you say that?”

Dale’s face grew serious.

“Because I intend to work. I will pay back Healer Melkan, and Mistress Korvalt, and you, of course, for what you did. You saved me.”

Alice smiled, turning away from her abode and begining to walk back the way they came.

“They won’t accept any payment, nor will I.”

“That’s Dark Forest hospitality, I suppose.” said Dale.

Alice nodded.

“But still,” Dale said, “I will work. Even if you refuse payment, I will work. I must. If nothing else, to relieve my own conscience.”

“As you wish.” said Alice, “All of Hemmerington is preparing for winter. It is said to be another harsh one. You can help with wood gathering, if you want.”

Dale nodded.

“And what about harvesting, I can do that as well.”

“That isn’t for another month.” said Alice.

“Good, I can do it after wood gathering.”

Alice stopped walking and looked at Dale.

“You plan to stay that long?”

“If I am welcome.” said Dale.

Alice smiled, and together they returned to Mistress Korvalt’s.
In the process of converting to [url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/nathanwells/]Flickr[/url].
SavaTheAggie
Lord Sava of Aggie

Post by SavaTheAggie »

Grid: L-5
Location: Inland, The town of CinderWood, a fire pit outside of Maerl's home.

"I really cannot express just how much we should not be here right now, Maerl," the Wanderer sighed in a growl.

"I am not going anywhere or giving you any information until I can trust you. And the only way I can trust you is for you to tell me all I want to know," Maerl said matter-of-factly, focusing his gaze on the piece of wood he was wittling.

The Wanderer signed again.

"You do realize that every minute we stay here is another minute they have to find us?" the cloaked man warned.

"Do you KNOW they're are coming here?"

"No."

"Do they KNOW you are here?"

"No."

"See? So there you go, no worries."

The Wanderer was ready and willing to leave Maerl to his fate, but without knowing where his Uncle's wife and child had moved on to, his journey would be fruitless. He would have to play Maerl's game.

"But they KNOW you are here, Maerl. And they don't know that you are clueless as to what your father knew."

"And just what was that?" Maerl's gaze quickly fixed on the Wanderer's. The Wanderer looked down into the fire slowly.

"Ask another question."

"Fine. What is your homeland, this place that's in so much trouble?"

"Ikros, across the sea."

"I thought Ikros was friends with most of Damatreos."

"It was. Over nine-hundred years ago a young Lord from your land made the dangerous voyage to create a trade agreement with the Kingdom of Ikros. But Ikros has changed quite a bit in nine-hundred years. The kings of today are nothing like the kings of yesterday. King Garren is ready to send his mighty fleets across the sea to destroy any threat and to subjugate everything else."

"And so what you're looking for will stop this Garren guy?"

"Yes."

"How?"

"Ask another question."

"No, I want you to answer. How will finding my Aunt stop him?"

"The more you know, the more your life will be in danger, Maerl. Ask another question."

"...Fine."

Maerl and the Wanderer sat in quiet contemplation, staring deep into the fire between them. Maerl mindlessly poked at the fire with a twig.

"Ok... So if you won't answer 'how', how about 'why'?" Why are you so concerned over Ikros like this. You're just one man, you can't make a difference."

"I made a promise, a long time ago."

"A promise..."

"Yes."

"You made a promise and now you're off trying to save a kingdom?"

"Yes."

"For no reward?"

"Yes."

"For no glory or position..."

"Yes."

"To whom?"

"Ask another question."
[url=http://www.ikros.net][img]http://www.ikros.net/links/ikrosbuttonsmall.jpg[/img][/url]

Maedhros
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Maedhros »

Grid: K-14

Castle Milash was always silent, a heavy foreboding silence.

"Prepare yourselves! The Dragon is coming!" The loud shout was followed by a highpitched skriek of anguish and pain.

Traian span around and gazed in horror at his friend Marian who lay shrieking on the floor. Marian´s face was twisted into a wicked mocking of his normal features and he didn´t stop shrieking.
Traian put down the firewoodbasket he carried and began to shake Marian.

"Marian! Marian, what has happened?"

At last Marian stopped. He breathed heavily and his eyes had a haunted look. He shivered and talked with a weak voice:

"He will come... he will come. In less than a week. He´ll be here next monday."

Scars had erupted all across his body and his face looked like it was melting. He sighed deeply and closed his eyes. Traian shook him again.

"Marian, who will come? What happened?"

But Marian didn´t answer. His body relaxed in Traians arms and after a last weak breath his heart stopped beating.

Traian stared in horror at Marian´s body which began to crumble to dust.

"Marian..."

But the young man quickly turned to a pile of dust and silence returned to the dark corridor.

Traian lay down on the floor. He didn´t know what to do so he simply cried.

-----

A torch illuminated the corridor and Traian looked up. His eyes were still watery and he didn´t see clearly who it was but he could distinguish a shape standing in front of him.

"What has happened here? Who broke the silence?"

The voice was hard but low. Traian could still not distinguish the features of the man but he understood that it was a guard.

This was the end of all hope. He lay down on the floor again.

"Answer you filthy megabloks!"

But Traian didn´t move. The end was near and he just hoped it would be swift.

A heavy hand gripped his neck and lifted him. It was painful but the pain didn´t matter.

-----

Now a new body adorned the courtyard of the castle. A new wooden stake had been placed beside the old ones and atop it was Traian´s impaled body. His death wasn´t swift nor painless. But in his last moment he gazed southwest and saw a faint shape of a red dragon in the darkness.
"Hinc satis elucet maiorem habere uim ad discenda ista liberam curiositatem quam meticulosam necessitatem.”
- Augustinus Hipponensis
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

Grid: M-8
Formendacil wrote:"I'll take that as the best I can get," said Bjarn. "Have you time for a final chess match before you leave?"

"I've got all day."
It was the day after. Sir Dractor and Thomas were preparing to eat one last, immense, hearty Forestman breakfast before hitting the road.

Bjarn was sitting with them, eating a good deal less heartily, when a herald in Forestman green approached.

"Sir," he announced, bowing to Bjarn, "I bring ill news from the pigeon hall. We have just received work of an attack on Harborglen, on the Fell Isle."

"Harborglen..." said Bjarn. "It's on the coast, reasonably large for the area, mostly composed of above-ground, in-tree, housing?"

"The same," answered Gonderin.

"Are there any more details?"

"Yes, sir," replied the herald. "The village was torched by soldiers from an unknown faction. They arrived in five large ships of obviously foreign make. After provisioning in the village peaceably, the soldiers set fire rather than pay for their provisions, and departed. Soldiers arriving from the nearest fort report that the invading force was last seen sailing towards the Dark Forest mainland."

Bjarn frowned.

"How many soldiers, roughly?" asked Sir Dractor.

"Seven to eight hundred, sir," replied the herald. "All well-armed."

"And they make for Dark Forest territory," said Bjarn. "This is not good. Gonderin, send word to Hemlock Stronghold. Inform Queen Arabella of this apparently hostile force."

"That might not be enough," said Gonderin. "To send Queen Arabella the message, for her to raise troops, and then to have them march north could take too long."

"What else can we do?" asked Bjarn. "The only other way at them is from the sea."

"We could send a fleet," noted Gonderin.

"You know as well as I that the Forestmen have no navy," replied Bjarn. "As well as the fact that we sail little enough as it is. Even pressing into service every soldier with sailing experience, and commandeering the ships in Delvarden's port, we should still be lacking any expertise at naval fighting. We'd be blown out of the water."

Sir Dractor coughed.

"If I may make a suggestion," he said. "Send the message to Queen Arabella posthaste, and inform her that the Forestmen will be sending in a small fleet to attack these invaders from the seaward side."

"You're taking his side then?" said Bjarn. "And who is going to command this navy? I have no officers with seafaring experience."

"I will," said Sir Dractor. "It's been a while, but I have commanded twenty ship fleets in the service of my king."

"Twenty ship fleets," said Gonderin, with raised eyebrow. "Impressive."

"So you will put off wandering about Dametreos aimlessly to help us out?" said Bjarn.

"I left the direction up to chance," said Sir Dractor, "and chance has dictated that we go north. This adventure is as good as any other."
Sir Dillon
Man-At-Arms

Post by Sir Dillon »

Kor watched uneasily as Hidemitsu and the strange wizard stared at each other. There was a long, uncomfortable silence as the rain fell; making a small “tink, tink, tink” as it hit the Knight Kingdomer’s armor.

He felt very uneasy at this point, and noticing Takemasa and the others take a few steps back, did the same. Hidemitsu didn’t seem to notice, he just kept staring into the eyes of the wizard.

This is not going to turn out well” He thought. Looking at the faces of the Knight’s Kingdomer’s, he figured they felt the same.

The two men still stood there, gazing into each other’s eyes. Kor noticed with alarm that Hidemitsu’s fingers were twitching, and his hand slowly moved towards his sword.

I’ve got to do something to stop them!" He thought. But he couldn’t get himself to move. Suddenly, one of the Knight Kingdomer’s who looked only a little older then himself, leaped in between the two figures and yelled
"Stop this!" he cried passionately. "I don't know what's going on, but it's not helping anyone but the Orcs, I think."
Kor sighed with relief, and made a note to thank the Easterner sometime.

The wizard then turned to Kor, “So, where are you going?” He asked.

“Well I… um” He stopped, he had always felt strange around magic users, and this was no exception. He cleared his throat, and replied “I am traveling with Hidemitsu, and plan to become one of his crew.” To his embarrassment, the words came strange and croaky, but no one seemed to notice.

The rain continued to fall.
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

Grid: R-6
Formendacil wrote:"Well, stay as long as you like," said Graygon. "But once you head back to more populated areas, don't tarry. Willem doesn't want any more trouble."

"Don't worry," said Elbadar. "Once the time comes, we'll leave quickly. I assume that you'll have the balance of our pay ready before then?"

"It'll be here in a couple days," replied Graygon. "I've already sent a messenger to Daggerfall."
Elbadar and his men had rested, cleaned up, and received their pay. They felt like new men. Most of the "new men" were enjoying themselves in Porto Lobo's many establishments, but the Marshal remained at his room in the Hoarsnout Inn, a much more reputable inn than the Three Fangs several blocks over.

It was, in fact, the most reputable inn in the city, and any important visitor who did not have private accomodations would be staying there, and so Elbadar spent some time in the common room, hoping to find a commission before they sailed for Port Ardonogue. Ultimately, however, it was he who was approached, not the other way around.

"Greetings," a short, older Ninjarian, dressed in fine robes, addressed him. "You are Lord Marshal Elbadar of Dragonar, are you not?"

"I am," replied Elbadar. "Although 'of Dragonar' is not quite accurate these days."

"Of course not," replied the Ninjarian with an oily smile. "For you are a wide-ranging mercenary these days. And that is why I wish to speak to you."

"Continue," said Elbadar. "I'm sure you know that I am looking for a job."

"As you say," nodded the Ninjarian. "My name is Po Lee, and I serve Shenshi Gailin, Daimyo of Houshii, a province of Ninjara on Boranis Dracis. We wish to secure your services for a period of two months or so, for the protection of the Daimyo and his chief officials."

"Houshii..." murmured Elbadar, "where have I heard that before." It took him a couple moments to recall the offer made to him by that Fright Knight captain, Drazzuil was it, back in Talistrand. They had wanted him to terrorize that province...

"Protection?" asked Elbadar, his suspicions aroused.

"Yes," replied Po Lee. "My lord has been threatened several times by a Fright Knight sorceror known as Sorgodh, who wishes for trade concessions that my lord is unwilling to make. Sorgodh has hired mercenaries to assail us, and we have until the 20th of this month to give in to his demands, or face their slaughter. I was sent to acquire your services, while my lord does his best to stall until you can arrive."

"I'm intrigued," said Elbadar. "And we do need the job. What's the pay?"
Lord_Of_The_LEGO
Earl of Wells

Viktor shook his wet mane of hair. This talking with strange Ninja and Wolfpack folk was annoying him -- not to mention getting soaked to the bone.

This tyco armor better not rust he grumbled.

“Well,” he said out loud, “Now that we’ve properly saved each other’s lives, been introduced, threatened one another, and have learned of our destinations, I, for one, am eager to be on my way.”

And with a dramatic twirl, Viktor turned about, churning up mud. Santis looked at Jaythus and winked. Solesstorn sighed and also turned away his horse, giving everyone a brief nod. Like wraiths, the Ninjas disappeared into the rain. Swift of the Wolfpack was already gone. Santis sidled up to Viktor.

“Had enough of adventuring, Vik?”

“Not yet.” said Viktor, blinking rain out of his eyes, “but I’ve had enough of being wet and bloody, for now. There’d better be an inn up ahead…”

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Grid: P-10

When Alice and Dale entered, Mistress Korvalt broke off lecturing Paul briefly to invite Alice to dinner.

“Paul, when I say stack, I mean stack! You throwing logs everywhere will not do at all! Now clean up this mess and stack it properly! Oh, hello you two! Back from your walk? Excellent. Alice, you must stay for supper. Matthew! Set an extra plate! Matt? Matt! Stop terrorizing Marcy’s cat and get in here! Yes, NOW!”

Matthew entered through the side door and idly kicked Paul, who punched Matthew, who punched back. Mistress Korvalt intervened viciously with a wooden spoon before returning to her cooking. Paul and Matthew both looked at Alice and blushed.

“Hi, Alice.” they chorused.

Alice rolled her eyes and went to help Mistress Korvalt with final preparations. Dale, not at all knowledgeable in the fine art of cooking, stood awkwardly to the side and stared about until supper was ready. They all sat at the oval oak table, Mistress Korvalt at the head, Erik opposite her. Dale and Alice sat on one side and Paul and Matthew were on the other.

“Let us say grace.” said Mistress Korvalt commandingly.

Alice held out her hand and Dale awkwardly took it, wincing as Erik excessively pinched his other hand.

“Dear Chodan,” Mistress Korvalt intoned, “we thank you today for this food that you have provided for us. We bless the deer, who’s life we had to take. May it nourish us. Also, we thank you for the presence of friends, and especially for the healing of Dale. Amen.”

There was a murmured from Dale and Alice, and a muttered amen from the three boys. As Mistress Korvalt began passing around venison stew and fresh sourdough bread, Dale told her his intentions.

“Dale,” said Mistress Korvalt, “I will not accept payment for housing you. It was a gift, please accept it.”

Dale acquiesced, but continued, “As you wish. But I insist on working for boarding here from now on.”

“Very well.” said Mistress Korvalt, “You intend to stay long in Hemmerington? You have no home to return to?”

“I do not.” said Dale, “I was a wandering bard before I was…well…anyway, I had no home.”

“No family? Friends?” pressed Mistress Korvalt.

Dale shook his head.

“I know of no family. And my friends…they think me still dead. And I don’t know where they are. If I do search for them eventually, it will be after the winter, when the snows melt.”

“Billy Rochtinger’s dad said winter’ll be just as bad as last year’s.” piped up Matthew.

“I hope not,” Alice said, “Last year’s blanket of death claimed two of our own. I do not wish to see that again.”

“What do you need to be done around here?” asked Dale, steering back to the original topic.

“We’ve got it covered.” said Erik, surly, scraping his bowl with his spoon, “Me and Paul and Matt, we’re doin’ all the chopping and the diggin’ and the clearing’.”

Mistress Korvalt offered, “Anything you do for the village will be payment enough for me, Dale. Fredfry’s building a new cellar. I’m sure Fredfry would appreciate any extra help.”

Dale nodded.

“Good. I’ll talk to him tomorrow.”
SavaTheAggie
Lord Sava of Aggie

Post by SavaTheAggie »

Grid: M-5

The last of the sun's rays began to dance off the surface of the water, glimmering in a brilliant display of reds, oranges and yellows. The few clouds that hung in the sky were ablaze in light, casting a warm glow down upon everything. The wind was gently blowing from the northeast, guiding all into the protected harbor of Jewel Reef.

Dahnaris was losing his light quickly, but through his spyglass he could see most of the port city, it's huge crecent shaped harbor, perfect for protecting his ships from any storm that might arise. The city itself was of an average size for a port city, and much of it did not stand out as being anything of particular value.

That is, except, the three gigantic trees that the city had been built around. The trees were enormous, four times the height of any normal tree, easily shading two or more city blocks with their branches. Large walls and shrines had been built around their trunks, and all the streets seemed to radiate outward from them. Aside from their size, though, they did not seem special to the eye, just very large trees.

As the very last of the light disappeared behind the horizon, Dahnaris collapsed his glass and turned to his second in command.

"How is it?" DeValle asked, staring into the darkness off the side of the ship. A few lights twinkled from the city in the distance as the villagers lit their lamps.

"It's a perfect port. It will suit our purposes nicely." Dahnaris sighed happily.

"So what is your plan?" DeValle turned to his superior, smirking.

---------------------

Five large ships quietly drifted through the midnight air into the protected harbor of Jewel Reef, the few lights left in the city barely able to hint at their arrival. Small landing rafts began breaking away from the ships, ten, then twenty, shadowy men creeping onto shore as the boats made land fall.

Silently they converged on all parts of the city, staying out of sight of any bystander; hundreds of elite Ikrosian soldiers infultrating the city like termites.

Vice Admiral Dahnaris stood watch on the bow of the lead ship, 'The Messenger', admiring his handy work. He studied his soldier's flawless movements, hiding from every soul that carelessly strolled the darkened streets.

"Lieutenant," he said, finally.

"Yes, Vice-Admiral."

"Our troops are walking around in the dark. Give them some light to see by."

"Yes, Vice-Admeral," the lieutenant replied, turning to face the rest of the ship, "FIRE!!"

Hundreds of flaming arrows began raining down upon the city, lighting several homes. The trebuchet ship fired a volley down the center of the city, towards the large courtyard, obliterating several homes in its' projectile's path.

Suddenly the Ikrosian soldiers appeared from the darkness, and amid the screams and shouting, the citizens of Jewel Reef were drug from their homes and beds. By the tens and hundreds they were gathered at sword point, forced to the center of town by the heavily armed soldiers. Those that did not go quietly were not given a second chance, but rather put down where they stood, without thought, without mercy.

------------------------------

One hour.

In the passing of just one hour the unsuspecting population of Jewel Reef had been overrun and captured, unarmed and dressed only in night clothes. The Vice-Admiral was very pleased with himself.

Dahnaris strolled slowly into the crowd gathered in the Town's courtyard, surrounded by the soldiers that had captured them. Dahnaris gently took a seat at a small table set up for him, where he began to sip a glass of wine, stolen only a few days before from Harborglen. Commander DeValle stood at his side, smiling at the carnage they had wrought.

When he had finished his glass, amid whispers and jeers of the townsfolk, Dahnaris stood up slowly and addressed the crowd.

"People of..." Dahnaris turned to DeValle.

"Jewel Reef, Sir," DeValle whispered.

"People of Jewel Reef! I bring you great news! You are all now amung the priviledged few to be under the banner and protection of the Kingdom of Ikros!"

"We are of the Dark Forest!" someone shouted from the crowd. The crowd shouted in agreement at the soldiers.

"Those of you here, now, have been shown much mercy by the great King Garren. By right of conquest, you are now under Ikrosian rule. This town for shall henceforth be known as... the Port of Dahnar," Dahnaris addressed them.

"We will fight you!" another voice shouted.

"You'll never win against us!" yet another growled.

"You have a beautiful city," Dahnaris said smugly, "and beautiful shrines built around such lovely trees. But if you do not cooperate, if you do not submit to Ikrosian rule, I just cannot imagine what problems could arise."

Dahnaris waved his hand gently, and seconds later a huge crash of stone and wood echoed throughout the city streets. The crowd gathered in the center of town gazed up to the western side of the city, where one of the huge trees stood. A huge gash marred the bark of the tree, and one of the many temples there lay in ruins. The shot from the Trebuchet ship had not made a direct hit against the tree, but it was obvious that the tree would not survive one.

The crowd gave a unified gasp of terror at the sight, and the sound of crying and panic began filling the air.

"My good Sir," a cowardly looking man walked over to Dahnaris, holding his hands together before him, "I beg you, do not attack the Great Trees,"

"And you are...?" Dahnaris raised an eyebrow.

"I am the mayor of Jewel Reef, and I beg you, please, show them mercy."

"Who, the trees?"

"Yes, they are our guardians, they protect us."

"From...?" Dahnaris asked, amused, looking about him.

"Things you obviously cannot understand. Please, we are peaceful people. We will do what you ask, just do not attack our Great Trees."

"All I ask is unquestioned obedience," Dahnaris addressed the crowd once more, " Obey me and my men, and you shall not come to harm, nor will your Great Trees."

While the crowds mulled over their fate, Dahnaris turned from them and began towards his flagship. DeValle quickly followed him.

"Casualties?"

"23, Vice-Admiral," DeValle replied, "2 dead."

"DeValle, build me a mighty fortress, around the trunk of the eastern Great Tree. Cut down the whole surrounding forest if you have to."

"Yes Sir," DeValle said, breaking away and returning to the crowd.

"Too easy..." Dahnaris smirked to himself.

Maedhros
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Maedhros »

Lord_Of_The_LEGO wrote:

“Well,” he said out loud, “Now that we’ve properly saved each other’s lives, been introduced, threatened one another, and have learned of our destinations, I, for one, am eager to be on my way.”

And with a dramatic twirl, Viktor turned about, churning up mud. Santis looked at Jaythus and winked. Solesstorn sighed and also turned away his horse, giving everyone a brief nod. Like wraiths, the Ninjas disappeared into the rain.

Hidemitsu walked very quickly and Kor and Takemasa had a very hard time to keep pace with him. Takemasa had been wounded in one leg and limped as quickly as he could. Kor felt pain in almost all parts of his body as well. But at least he could move his arm again, even if it hurt like megabloks.

Kor made himself heard above the rain.
"Hidemitsu, please, calm down. Takemasa is wounded, and I am wounded too."

"Intellabrix wizard!" He growled lowly and continued.

"Hidemitsu! Stop!" Kor stopped and shouted.

Hidemitsu took a few more steps and then he stopped. He slowly turned around and his face softened to a very sad expression.

"Oh, I´m so sorry. I got carried away by my anger."

Takemasa grinned. "You were right, brother. That wizard had no right to threaten us. We should have left them to die."

Hidemitsu shrugged. "No, Takemasa, that wizard was an intallabrix but they needed our help." His face twisted into a grimace of pain and he coughed.
He continued to cough and bent over and Takemasa and Kor saw the ground being coloured red by blood.

"Hidemitsu!" Takemasa cried and limped up to him. Kor followed him and they grabbed him and pulled him down to the ground. His body was totally relaxed and he breathed heavily.

Kor ripped off Hidemitsu´s soaking wet kosode and stared in horror at the big open wound right in his stomach.

"Why didn´t you ask for help? Tyco it! He was a magician!"

But Hidemitsu just coughed and whispered something inaudible.

Takemasa gazed in horror at his brother.

"What... what... do you know anything about healing, Kor?"

Kor shrugged. "Not much, not much at all."

Suddenly a dark shape emerged from the darkness in front of them. Takemasa drew his katana.

"Don´t come closer. If you touch my brother I´ll kill you!"

The shape came closer and they could perceive the glowing eyes of the enigmatic wolfpack.

"Looks like you could need some help", he muttered and pushed Takemasa aside.
- Augustinus Hipponensis