Classic Castle Roleplay: October 2005

LEGO gaming, including group role playing games
TheOrk
Master

Post by TheOrk »

L-12 Castle Dracul Area
Valric was clad in his armour, his wound was bandaged and looked normal. “I’m tired of that bed and I’m tired of this village. Once we get these blighters” he hefted his glowing sword, “we’ll get those bloody vampires and go home!”
“Now there’s a plan!” Laughed Theodore as he drew his own sword.
The two minifigs took a few steps back as a dozen of the demons from the dungeons of Castle Dracul emerged from the treeline. All were clad in either bronze or silver armour, they hefted crude, spike clubs and wicked axes. Each bore the emblem of a dragon, but unlike the Black Knight or Dragon Master emblems, this one looked far more malevolent.

One of the monsters did not have a helmet on, revealing a pale, skull like face. The thing had milky white eyes and dripping fangs. The thing waved it’s hammer in the air and the rest charged, intent on feasting on the inhabbitants of the village.

“Ugly fellow ain’t he?” Laughed Valric as he made his way toward the leader, three of the megablox warriors intercepted him.

“You can have him, the rest of these blighters are ugly enough as it is!” Shouted Theodore as he impaled one.

Valric parried two clubs and a hammer. A counter swing tore through one’s armpit, the thing shrieked and keeled over. Blocking another blow, he wrenched the club out of one warrior’s hand. Valric gave him a square boot to the chest, sending him flying. He turned to fight the sole remaining opponent, he didn’t have a chance. Valric laughed and continued on, it had been too long since he had seen a battle.

Felling another megablox warrior, he risked a glance at Theodore. The knight/general didn’t seem as keen in charging headlong into the enemy. He hung back and stopped those getting to the houses. While he cut down one, another jumped on his shield, cursing, he buried his sword to the hilt in it’s face.

Picking up it’s hammer, he ran after Valric. “Wait up! I’m not letting you get all the fun.”
Robin Hood
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Robin Hood »

Grid: B-15

After a few days travel, Aiden, Shika and Kae-Os returned to the village. They were greeted by various villagers and Aiden looked forward to a day's rest. Shika however, had barely managed to say hello when she was told of the Masaryu's death and of Toratsugu's trip and return, just moments before. She dashed off to find Toratsugu, leaving Aiden and Kae-Os sit down in the village center and fall asleep.

It was one of the best sleeps Aiden had had in a long time. The weather was warm, even for late October, and the village was filled with little sound. The people did there work in such a calm, muted manner, that the sound they did make was nothing more than gentle rhythm to which Aiden fell asleep to.

A couple hours later, he awoke and stretched. Ah, what a beautiful day! He got up, and went to see if any villager would be willing to donate a meal to them. Aiden would have bought some food, but their store of money had been depleted long before they had gotten to the island.

Before Aiden had chosen on a house, Shika walked up. Something in her walk told Aiden that either she was sad, or mad, or both. "Hello," she said in a voice that matched her gait.

"Hi," said Aiden. "I guess we should say goodbye now."

"Oh," asked Shika. "Are we kicking you out?"

"No, but there is no point to staying. I was just going to beg for some food and then we would be off."

"What is your hurry?"

"Well, we were hired to kill that guy. And our hirer is way up north. I would like to get to him before the snow sets in. Plus, I don't want to impose on your town's hospitality too long."

"I see."

Aiden grinned. "Personally, I think you don't, but lets not quibble on such things." He bowed. "Been a pleasure fighting with you."

She returned the bow and said, "The same to you."

"Somehow I don't think you mean that from the bottom of your heart." Another grin. "But I suppose we should go. Would it be too much trouble to direct us to some food for the journey? Also..." Aiden paused. "Now that I think about it, I have no idea were the nearest port is. Could you tell me where we might find a ship that would sail us to the mainland?"

Shika thought. "Well...."
I build, therefore I am.

Brave words coming from a guy called grapenuts.
Lord_Of_The_LEGO
Earl of Wells

Post by Lord_Of_The_LEGO »

Formendacil wrote:The three of them made an about face, and followed Gonderin down the hallway, and into the main hall, where supper was waiting.
Grid: M-8

As the trio entered the Great Hall, they suddenly felt very much like the awkward adolescents they were. They had entered by the main doors, and so every eye was upon them. Forestmen and women clad in greens and browns and tans peered at the foreigners with curiosity. Bjarn, smiling, rose from his chair at the high table.

"Citizens," he called, "Let us give a grand Forestmen welcome to my honored guests: Master Hans Lentawl, Master Adrian Seojton and Lady Cate Slacs-Sicl."

As one, the Forestmen and women rose and gave the Sign Of The Elk. Hans, Adrian and Cate stared, bug-eyed. It had been the first time any of them, including Cate, had been saluted by over forty people. Hans tentatively raised his hand in greeting.

"Yo."

There was a quiet chuckling and the Forestmen and women resumed their seats. Gonderin strode forward.

“This way.”

The elf lead them up to the main table, where three empty seats were waiting. They sat, Cate elbowing Adrian hard so that she could sit nearest Gonderin, who was two seats down. Hans, to his surprise, found himself next to a familiar face.

“Well met, Hans Lentawl.” grinned Reno Regga, his single eye twinkling.

“Reno, dude!” Hans said, startled, “What are you doing here?”

“I could easily ask the same of you, and I will, in a moment.” said Reno, “But first I’ll answer yours. Shainya and I are here for a relaxing visit.”

Reno glanced back at Shainya, who was shoveling food into her mouth as fast as she could. He turned back to Hans conspiratorially.

“Well,” he admitted in an undertone, “I cam here for a relaxing visit…to…er…get away from Shainya.”

“What?” Hans was befuddled.

“You’ll see…” said Reno, “Brace yourself.”

“Reno!” snapped Shainya, who had briefly put her fork away, “Who’s that you’re talking to?”

She leaned forward -- a movement that was becomingly increasingly difficult due to the fact that she was four months pregnant -- and peered at Hans. At once her mood changed.

“Hans! So nice to see you!”

“And you.” said Hans.

“So you say!” Shainya snapped, her mood suddenly polarizing, “Though Chodan knows why you came here -- such an uncomfortable place with these hard chairs!”

“Shainya…” Reno soothed, “Now, really, we both love Drullen Bell…”

Shainya’s face softened and she smiled.

“Of course we do, Reno. I’m so sorry I’ve been such a…a…”

“Grouch?” suggested Reno.

“I can think of the word myself!” snapped Shainya, and with a final glower, she returned to her mashed potatoes.

Reno leaned over to Hans.

“Moods swings.” he explained, “She’s killing me. If I had know this was the price to pay for kids I would have gone heirless.”

Hans laughed.

“Also,” said Reno, glancing back at Shainya, “She’s nearly eating use out of house and home. She won’t stop chowing down.”

“She…er…looks quite big for only four months.” said Hans carefully, ready to cowl if Shainya turned on him.

“She is.” groaned Reno, “Some of the nurse druids here say she has twins. Twins!”

He sighed then peered beyond Hans.

“So, why have you and your friends come to Drullen Bell?”

“Well…it’s rather complicated,” said Hans, “We’re searching for The One Brick To Rule Them All.”

At the mention of that, Adrian turned around. Cate was still raptly ogling at Gonderin. For his part, Gonderin was taking no notice.

“The One Brick To Rule Them All?” Reno repeated.

Hans and Adrian in turns brought Reno up to date. The retired Misfit scratched his eye patch thoughtfully.

“This One Brick sounds suspiciously similar to the Twin Pendants of King Kris. Be warned; trinkets can have a dark side.”

“The One Brick is hardly a trinket!” objected Hans, “The Ikrosians valued it highly! It was a great honor to Nathaniel when they gave it to him!”

“All the same.” said Reno, “Be careful.”

He sat up and smiled.

“But on a lighter note, I wish the three of you the best of luck. A quest is an exhilarating thing.”

“Unless we find a copy of the Earl’s instructions in the archives,” said Adrian, “we might as well go back to Orion.”

“Something will come up.” said Reno, taking a drink, “Be rest assured of that, Hans and Adrian. Something will come up. Something always does…”
In the process of converting to [url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/nathanwells/]Flickr[/url].
Maedhros
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Maedhros »

Robin Hood wrote: "Somehow I don't think you mean that from the bottom of your heart." Another grin. "But I suppose we should go. Would it be too much trouble to direct us to some food for the journey? Also..." Aiden paused. "Now that I think about it, I have no idea were the nearest port is. Could you tell me where we might find a ship that would sail us to the mainland?"

Shika thought. "Well...."

"I´m not sure... but maybe Hidemitsu will leave soon again", Shika continued.

Aiden nodded. "How soon?"

"We´ll probably have to ask him, I presume", she said but then a sound was heard. Both of them started and looked out of one of the windows.

Outside the window stood Swift. His eyes glowed a dangerous red colour. "No need, Shika. He will leave tomorrow together with Toratsugu."

Shika nodded uncertainly. "Oh..." She glanced at Aiden and forced a smile. "How very good then."

Aiden was as confused as Shika looked and he gazed at Swift. "And who are you?" He asked.

Swift smirked and turned. "Swift", he said and walked away.

Aiden turned back to Shika and shrugged his shoulders. "Who was that?"

"I don´t know... He came with Hidemitsu, and Hidemitsu has faith in him."

"And you trust Hidemitsu´s judgement?"

Shika frowned. "Of course I do."

Aiden fidgeted uncertainly. "Well, I suppose I should go get Kae-Os and ask Hidemitsu if we can go with him. We´ll meet tomorrow before we leave, won´t we?"

Shika nodded. "We will. Good day to you, Aiden-san."
"Hinc satis elucet maiorem habere uim ad discenda ista liberam curiositatem quam meticulosam necessitatem.”
- Augustinus Hipponensis
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

Grid: C-3
Formendacil wrote:"Delighted to meet you, valiant Sir Knight," said Estella, with a curtesy, and every appearance of being sincere. Sir Dractor's eyebrow did not drop, although his face blanched somewhat. Thomas was hard put to control the noise of startlement.

"Shall we eat?" said the Baron. "Sir Yves, will you do the honours of Grace?"
Sir Yves humbly bowed his head, and thanked Chodan for the food before them, and then the five of them tucked into their food. Lord Edmond was busy questioning Thomas about his background and progress at training, while Estella looked on. Sir Dractor, sitting beside Sir Yves, had a chance to lean over and talk to him in a low voice.

"Estella's hand in marriage!" he said. "You never told me about that."

"I swear to Chodan that it's the first I've heard about it," said Sir Yves. "Doesn't surprise me, of course. It's exactly the sort of thing a chivalrous romantic like Edmond Tendarl would do."

"So what do I do if I kill this dragon and don't feel like getting married?" asked Sir Dractor.

"Let's cross that bridge when we get there," said Sir Yves. "If worst comes to worst, you can always disappear into the night, never to be seen again, like a hero of legend."

The meal was soon finished, and a page boy came to the hall to announce that William Jorgenson had returned, with news.

"Send him in," said Lord Edmond. "Estella, dear, you can leave if you wish."

With a curtesy to the guests, and a kiss to her father, Estella swept out of the room, even as William Jorgenson entered.

"Good afternoon, milord," said the outlaw, with a sweep of his pointed brown hat. "I see you've met our hero."

"Yes, Sir Dractor and I are now acquainted," said the Baron. "We are hoping that you can help us with some pointers as to how to catch the dragon at unawares."

"Well," said Jorgenson, "the news that I came here with bears on the matter. It so happens that my fellows caught the old dragon out on his circuit. It seems that he's doing his favourite run: from Mt. Greybeard where he seems to be holed up, down the Withyberry valley, then across in a direct line to Methali Lake, where he usually descends for a drink. From there its over to the less dense part of the forest near Baldy Hill, where he usually likes to catch dinner. Then he usually swings back in a wide arc, stopping for another drink at Wana Lake, before returning to his gave on Mt. Greybeard. My men saw him descending down the Withyberry valley, on his way to Methali Lake. If we set out right now, we could probably wait in ambush for him at Wana Lake."

"How large is the lake?" asked Sir Dractor. "Does he have a common spot to stop there?"

"Aye," replied Jorgenson. "He likes to rest on a beach on the southeast side. It's usually in the sun, and its smooth pebbles with easy access to the water. There's also some good cover right beside it."

"How long will it take to get there?" asked Sir Dractor.

"Maybe three hours," said Jorgenson, "if I'm the one leading you. If we leave in the next hour or so, we can beat him there by about two hours- if he sticks to his routine. How many men do you want along?"

"How many outlaws have you got?" asked Sir Dractor. "I'd say about ten of us. You, me, Sir Yves, and the balance to be your wood-crafty outlaws."

"What about me?" interjected Thomas.

"I want you to stay here," said Sir Dractor.

"Why?" asked Thomas. "Don't you think me capable yet?"

"Yes, I do," said Sir Dractor, "but I don't see any need to take you along. No more argument about it."

Thomas snapped his open mouth, about to say something, closed, and glared at his master.

"If that's settled then," said Jorgenson, rising. "I'll see you and Sir Yves in the village square in half an hour."
Last edited by Formendacil on Thu Nov 24, 2005 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

Lord_Of_The_LEGO wrote:“Unless we find a copy of the Earl’s instructions in the archives,” said Adrian, “we might as well go back to Orion.”

“Something will come up.” said Reno, taking a drink, “Be rest assured of that, Hans and Adrian. Something will come up. Something always does…”
Following supper, none of the three young friends was in a hurry to rise, but Reno seemed to be a bit restless.

"How about we go back to those archives and take another look around?" he said.

"Sure," said Adrian, a bit listlessly.

"Coming, Cate?" asked Hans.

"Mmmm?" said Cate, as if she hadn't heard.

"Cate, snap out of it," said Hans, waving his hand in front of her face. "We're going back to the Archives. Are you coming?"

"Oh! Sure."

"Then let's get moving."

Reno kissed Shainya on the forehead, told her to get some rest, and then quickly disappeared from the room.

"I love her to bits," he said to no one in particular, "but I need a little bit of rational time in my life, and lately that's been hard to come by."

They reached the Archives. There was no sign of Ida Ichdocher, or her featherduster. Reno began the hunt with relish.

"If there were multiple copies, one would assume that they'd be cross-shelved, for easy access. Did you check the 'E', 'N' and 'W' categories for Nathaniel, Earl of Wells?"

"We started," said Adrian. "Cate found it pretty fast in the 'E' section."

"Then let's go over 'W' and 'N'," said Reno. They did so.

They searched. And they searched. For hours and hours they dug through the stacks of books and papers, clearing away the entire first layer, digging into the second, and picking out sheets of paper from the third. But try as they might, there was not a trace of the Earl of Wells to be found, other than the original, mouldy parchment.

Reno seemed to be enjoying the search, but the three younger ones were growing despondent, especially Cate, who was not as at home in a library as the other two.

"Why don't you head off to bed?" suggested Reno to Cate, after there ceased to be even a hint of light through the crevasses. Cate yawned.

"I think I will," she said, "but I don't know where to go."

"I'll show you," offered Reno gallantly. "And I'll tuck Shainya in, if she hasn't gone to bed already. I'll be back in half an hour or so, boys."

As Reno and Cate disappeared out the door, Adrian turned to Hans.

"I'm taking a break," he said. "I've been eyeing a few books since we got here, and I want to take a closer look at a couple before heading back to the search."

"Sounds like a good idea," said Hans. "I've got a few myself. I think I'll browse this Wildly Crazy Short Stories by Sir Johannes de Tundre. He's a great author, and there's some stories in there that I've never seen. How about you?"

"Why Dark Foresters Drink Hemlock," Adrian held up a relatively new-looking tome in response. "It's a humourous and highly factual history of the Dark Forest kingdom, from a Forestman point of view. And hey!" Adrian opened to the first few pages. "It's says that Gonderin helped look it over for factual errors- in 1932."

"Sweet!" said Hans, impressed.

They settled back against the stacks, books in hand, close to the lamps for optimum reading light. Occassionally, Hans would quote a particularly humourous line from one of his short stories, and Adrian would call out an obscure fact or two of Dark Forest history. They had been reading for about fifteen minutes, when something caught Adrian's eye.

"Listen to this!" he said, excitedly. Hans put his book down.

"The Dark Forest people divided from the Forestmen in what was the most peaceful and level-headed 'revolution' in Dametreosian history. Both sides acknowledged that radically different ideologies, as well as a growing population, dictated a political split. Those whose values were more classically Forestmen, retained Drullen Bell and the most heavily populated Forestman lands, while the more radical (which is to say more warlike) group was granted the northern lands, including what is now Hemlock Stronghold.

As a part of this equitable division of land, the departing clans of the League of Forestmen were given an equivalent percentage of the Forestman treasury-
" Here Adrian paused, and looked up eagerly.

"As well as a complete copy of the Drullen Bell Archives, as they stood at that time."

Hans and Adrian looked at each other, no longer sleepy, no longer dejected, by eagerly giddy.

"Dude!" said Hans. "That means there's a copy in Hemlock Stronghold!"

"Cate and Reno are NOT going to believe their luck," said Adrian, grinning.
Lord_Of_The_LEGO
Earl of Wells

Formendacil wrote:"As well as a complete copy of the Drullen Bell Archives, as they stood at that time."

Hans and Adrian looked at each other, no longer sleepy, no longer dejected, by eagerly giddy.

"Dude!" said Hans. "That means there's a copy in Hemlock Stronghold!"

"Cate and Reno are NOT going to believe their luck," said Adrian, grinning.

When Reno came back down ten minutes later, he found Hans and Adrian hastily returning sheaves of moldy parchment to cramped bookshelves.

“You two turning in now?” said Reno, somewhat disappointed, “Find anything?”

“We, like, so totally did!” said Hans excitedly.

Adrian pointed out the passage he had read to Reno.

“See?” grinned Reno after he had read it, “I told you someone would come up.”

“Quite.” said Adrian.

“So, will this mean another trip for you three?” asked Reno.

“Of course!” said Hans, “Hemlock Stronghold isn’t that far north. It’ll take us only a few days to get there.”

Reno grinned.

“I feel the urge to join you young adventurers…but Shainya would kill me. When do you plan to leave?”

Adrian looked at Hans.

“Tomorrow, I guess,” he said.

Hans nodded.

“Well,” said Reno, “If that is the case, you two better get some rest. I’ll show you to your rooms.”

And so the three of them left, Adrian with Why Dark Foresters Drink Hemlock tucked under his arm. Ida, they reasoned, could clean up the rest.

The next morning, they told Cate their discovery during breakfast.

“Oooh!” she gasped, clapping her hands together, “That is so cool!”

Then she glared at them.

“Why didn’t you wake me?”

Adrian shrugged, a Cate-esque twinkle in his eye.

“We didn’t want to interrupt your dreams of dear Gonderin.” he said.

Hans choked hard on his porridge. Cate swiped at Adrian, who dodged and cackled.

“Now, now, Cate,” he said, “Gonderin’s looking this way…you don’t want to--”

“Oh shuttup, you two!” snapped Cate, turning crimson.

“What?” said Hans, “I’m not saying anything.”

“You’re encouraging Adrian!”

“I am not!”

Hans shrugged his shoulders innocently. Cate huffed and Adrian snickered. After a stretch of relative silence Cate said, “So I suppose we’ll be leaving soon, then.”

“Yeah, I guess so.” said Hans.

“We need to talk to Lord Bjarn first,” said Adrian, “But after that I’d like to get on the road.”

And so, after breakfast, the Trio caught up with Bjarn as he left the hall.

“Hello, you three.” he smiled, “How goes your searches?”

“Well, it turns out we have to go on to the Hemlock Stronghold.” said Hans.

Bjarn looked mildly surprised.

“Really. Is Drullen Bell’s library that bad?”

There was a hint of humor in his voice.

“Well…it could use some cleaning-up,” said Hans, “But we found this great book, which we found to be very useful.”

Bjarn smiled as he looked at Why Dark Foresters Drink Hemlock.

“Ah yes. A valuable resource, that. I suppose this means you’ll be leaving?”

“Yeah,” said Hans, “Hate to rush off, but…”

“No, no, I understand.” smiled Bjarn, “Good luck to the three of you. And come back sometime and tell me of your quest.”

“One last thing,” said Adrian, hefting Why Dark Foresters Drink Hemlock, “My I borrow this?”

“Of course.” said Bjarn, “I’ve got a personal copy myself. And excellent read.”

With that, Bjarn left them, to dealt with matters of the state. Gonderin passed the trio, and gave them a faint nod before following Bjarn. Cate sighed. Adrian snickered.

“Well,” said Hans, “Let’s go.”
In the process of converting to [url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/nathanwells/]Flickr[/url].
Lord_Of_The_LEGO
Earl of Wells

Lord_Of_The_LEGO wrote:Felix didn't say anything at once. At last, he said, "C'mon. Let's find some fellow Hemmeringtons. There's wares to be sold."
Grid: Q-10

For the next two days Dale and the other Hemmeringtons mingled with the other Dark Foresters from Josstshire and other Dark Forest towns. Then, on October the twenty-seventh, the trade fair ended, and the population of Josstshire deflated as the merchants hurried home to their own towns. Southward bound went the people of Hemmerington, on foot and in carts. They were chatty, discussing all the new gossip gathered in Josstshire, everything from the newest best-seller by author Michelle Christen, Pray, to the rumor that King Matthias of Eastern Knight’s Kingdom was having a steamy affair with the Classic Emperor’s cousin, Duchess Fiona Axiates.

Dale did not engage much in the talk, though he listened with amusement. When he was walking next to Alice, he asked, “So, what will happen now, now that fall is nearing it’s end?”

“Well,” said Alice, “On the 31st of October we hold a celebration, called Oktoberfest. It’s an annual event celebrating the good harvest. It also welcomes winter. There’s singing and dancing and games for the little ones and --” Alice laughed “Beer for everyone else. It’s a wonderfully jolly time.”

Dale smiled.

“I can’t wait.”
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

Grid: K-12
Location: The LEGOland/Fright Knight border, the Classic side.
Formendacil wrote:"Leave him," said Arthur. "He's harmless, and we don't want to be carrying any dead weight with us anyway."

In agreement, they mounted their steeds, and galloped down the rear of the bluff, and then turned towards the Classic border at full tilt. Drazzuil reached the bluff just in time to see them disappear out of arrow range.
Jayko and Arthur made it back to the border, and the rest of their company some time after the rest of the Cadets. Captain-Major Battista was waiting for them, hoping for an explanation.

"What on earth are these men," he gestured at the rest of the Cadets, "saying about a thousand-man Cavalier army? No such force passed this way, nor do I think the Empire could put that many Cavaliers on the field in one spot without some difficulty! Furthermore, why are the Cadets in such disarray? Where is Captain-Colonel E'terriole?"

Jayko and Arthur glanced at each other for a second, and then proceeded to explain. Battista frowned, nodded, frowned, and then commended them for their work.

"There is no way that your men should have broken like that," he said. "Clearly, the Emperor's sped-up training program to rebuild the armies is not as reliable as the older process- but I am very impressed at how you managed to extricate your men. I'm going to send a letter of commendation to Orion to whoever will be standing in for E'terriole suggesting promotion. In the meantime, you are to stay a few days here, remarshalling your men. Hopefully, more of them will show up, including E'terriole."

Jayko and Arthur nodded, well-pleased with themselves.

That night, the remaining Cadets who had been captured or wounded were dumped near the border by Drazzuil's men under the cover of night. Upon factoring in those unfortunates, there were one hundred fifty-nine men in the head count out of two hundred the following morning. E'terriole was not among them.

They waited a couple more days, letting the wounded recover somewhat, before reordering themselves, and returning to Orion under Battista's orders.

"Don't let word of this debacle get out, if you can help it," he warned Jayko and Arthur as they prepared to leave. "The Empire does not need news of such an embarrassing defeat floating around."

"Don't worry," said Arthur, "we aren't in any particular mood to spread it around either."
Formendacil wrote:"Yes, Batlord Bartavlo," agreed Drazzuil. "Are their any other orders?"

"If there are, Lord Vækadær will inform you of them upon your return, I'm sure. Farewell."
Grid: O-12

Many leagues away from Jayko's returning company, Captain-Colonel E'terriole was waking up for the first time, in the hold of a Fright Knight vessel, one of several that was making its way furtively to the Fright Knight lands on Kingdom Isle, where they would return to Envika Sorgodh.

E'terriole's head was aching, his body was weak, and he was very thirsty. He hardly noticed when Captain Drazzuil appeared over him.

"Feeling better?" he said. "You're awake. That's an improvement. Good thing, too. Where does it hurt? Are you hungry? Lord Vækadær wants to see his guest well-treated."

"Lord Vækadær?" said E'terriole, a bit dazed. "Who is he?"

"The one to whom your life now belongs," said Drazzuil.
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

Formendacil wrote:Thomas snapped his open mouth, about to say something, closed, and glared at his master.

"If that's settled then," said Jorgenson, rising. "I'll see you and Sir Yves in the village square in half an hour."
It was a pleasant hike from Fendor's Field to Wana Lake, where William Jorgenson expected them to catch the dragon alighting. The autumn sun, still gloriously warm when the sky was clear, shone down on the evergreen forests.

The outlaws moved silently through the trees, years of hunting skittish deer and avoiding the more conscientious of the King's men having given them an uncanny ability to move without making a sound. Sir Dractor was doing a very impressive job of remaining as silent as they, stalking being one of the many martially-related skills in his arsenal. Poor Sir Yves, although a deft-footed man with a light step in normal circumstances, came across as the loud and clumsy one of the group.

As promised by William, it only took them a few hours to reach Lake Wala. William led them to the groves of trees where they had cover and close access to the dragon's favourite beach. They settled in to wait for the dragon's arrival.

After two hours, it hadn't happened. It being later autumn, the sun was starting to set, and there was no sign of the dragon in the skies. Sir Dractor was getting anxious.

"What do you think is going on?" he asked William.

"Tycoed if I know," said the outlaw. "But I don't think that the evil beast's absence bodes well."

Eventually, after another hour or so, they abandoned their cover, and began to look around, hoping to catch sight of the dragon. They made their way to the high points and bluffs from which they could get a look at miles of land about.

The view from Fendor's Field and Emberlain Castle was distressing. Even at their distance, orange flames were plain to see.
Maedhros
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Maedhros »

It was a beautiful sunrise, almost too beautiful to not watch. But Aiden and Kae-Os didn´t have time now. With a sigh Kae-Os turned from the sun and looked at the Kofukuryu. It lay floating in the sea some hundred yards away and a small boat was waiting for them. Hidemitsu sat in the boat together with four shinobi and looked at them.

"Well, we have no time to lose", Kae-Os said. "We´d better get out of here before the tide turns."

Aiden nodded dreamily and still looked up at the forest as if expecting something to happen. And suddenly something did.

Shika emerged from a small cave by the shore and rushed towards them. She stopped just a few feet away and bowed.

"Err... Bye then", she stammered.

Aiden bowed a bit clumsily and Kae-Os did a nice and graceful bow.
"We´ll meet again, Shika-san", Kae-Os said with a gentle smile.

She nodded and Aiden grunted: "Sure."

Then Kae-Os grabbed Aiden´s shoulders and turned to the boat. He offered Shika a last smile and then he led Aiden to the boat. Then they set out to the Happy Dragon...
"Hinc satis elucet maiorem habere uim ad discenda ista liberam curiositatem quam meticulosam necessitatem.”
- Augustinus Hipponensis
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

Lord_Of_The_LEGO wrote:With that, Bjarn left them, to dealt with matters of the state. Gonderin passed the trio, and gave them a faint nod before following Bjarn. Cate sighed. Adrian snickered.

“Well,” said Hans, “Let’s go.”
They set off for Hemlock Stronghold, first crossing back into Delvarden Gard, then off through the city until they came to the last bridge on the northwest side. From there, a well-trodden track led off into the forests. It was no paved road or cart-useable trail, merely a much used, and fairly straight path, the only real way from Delvarden Gard to the Dark Forest capital.

"Let's not lose this road, shall we," said Adrian.

"It was you guys's fault we lost the last one," said Cate. "With all your typical male insistence on being the pathfinders."

"It's not my fault the Crusaders mislabel their streets," said Hans, subtly jabbing Adrian.

"It was the Crusaders' fault the Forestmen built their new road in the wrong spot," countered Adrian.

"Let's just not get lost," said Cate. "I really don't fancy getting stuck out here. Not a lot of people live in these woods, and winter's coming on. And I don't think we're equipped to live off the land in the winter. Can either you hunt?"

"Nope," said Adrian. "Never even held a bow."

"Ditto," said Hans.

Fortunately, they had no trouble following the well-beaten path northwestwards.

After about a day's journey, they had reached a small village near the northern Forestman border, outside of the Varden Swamplands, and close to the northern channel of the Hemlock River, which formed the Forestman/Dark Forest border. From there, it was only a few hour's journey to the Dark Forest capital which lay, with most of the Dark Forest population, at the southeastern corner of the country.

They found the village's inn, the Golden Shpleem, to be a well-kept establishment, with good meals and relatively cheap fees. They gathered that night in the boys' room, after dinner, relaxing by the fire before turning in.

"So," Cate was asking. "After this is all over, what do you think you guys will do?"

"I dunno..." said Hans. "Someday I'll like to get married, and have some kids. I'll probably work in an Archives. Maybe at the Imperial Archives, like my dad (but at a higher position than my old one), or maybe with a private collection. I don't know if I want to stay in the big city. Maybe move out to one of the provincial capitals, like Chevraport. Or maybe even out of the country. It'd be cool to work in Drullen Bell. A nice big Archive, hardly any annoying patrons, nice atmosphere. What about you guys?"

"I don't know," said Adrian. "I'm thinking maybe going in for a druid, if I qualify. I like the idea of a life of service, and I like the sorts of things druids do: rather diverse, usually helpful, and a bit of adventure."

"Right," said Hans, "you can keep my books dry for me, if I go to Drullen Bell. What about you, Cate? This is your topic?"

"I don't know," she said. "My parents would like to see me married."

"We noticed," interjected Adrian.

"But I don't want that yet," she continued. "And if I don't get married, I'm going to have to do SOMETHING to keep my parents off my case. Maybe I'll go to university."

"Orion, Talistrand, Falconis City, or Castleton?" asked Adrian, listing off the four Dametreosian universities.

"Not Orion!" said Cate. "The whole idea is to get away from my parents. Probably Talistrand or Castleton. Talistrand would be sweet."

"Well," said Adrian, "speaking of sweet, I'm thinking of drifting off into sweet sleep. See you guys in the morning."

"I'm turning in too," said Cate. "Good night, boys."

"G'night, Adrian and Cate," said Hans. "I'll turn in in a bit."
Last edited by Formendacil on Sat Oct 29, 2005 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lord_Of_The_LEGO
Earl of Wells

Formendacil wrote:"Well," said Adrian, "speaking of sweet, I'm thinking of drifting off into sweet sleep. See you guys in the morning."

"I'm turning in too," said Cate. "Good night, boys."

"G'night, Adrian and Cate," said Hans. "I'll turn in in a bit."

Grid: L-7

All three of them slept soundly and the next morning they rose early. After a filling breakfast of bagels, cheese and apple cider, Hans, Adrian and Cate set out northward to the Hemlock Fortress.

“You know, it’s quite curious how obsessed the Dark Foresters are with hemlock.” said Adrian, “Half their landmarks are named after it. Hemlock River, Hemlock Port, Hemlock Road, Hemlock Stronghold…”

“Seems kinda twisted that they would name everything after a poisonous plant.” said Cate.

“Maybe they just weren’t creative with names.” laughed Hans.

“Perhaps so…” said Adrian. He was walking and peering at Why Dark Foresters Drink Hemlock.

“Here’s a bit of interesting info.” he said, “The Hemlock Stronghold was built by Basilikus Kiram in 1782. Since then it’s been destroyed six times due to war and sabotage. Each time it was rebuilt bigger and stronger. In 1784 it was declared the official capital of the Dark Foresters, and quickly a city grew up around it.”

Adrian looked up.

“An interesting thing to note is this: that town never got a name. The term Hemlock Stronghold now refers both to the stronghold itself and the city surrounding it.”

“Weird.” said Hans.”

Adrian continued to quote the book, “The Dark Foresters are notoriously more warlike than the Forestmen. The Dark Forest nation is the only Forestdweller nation that has engaged in at least one war with every other faction in Dametreos.”

“They sound like the Dragon Masters.” Cate commented.

Adrian nodded.

“Quite. In fact, they have been officially allied with the Dragon Masters ever since the Fifty Years War.”

“Even now, after the usurping of Lord Void?” asked Cate.

“I dunno about that…” Adrian admitted, “This book isn’t that up to date…”

“Hey guys,” said Hans, “Check it out. I think we’re getting close.”

Hans was right. Hemlock Road was becoming busier. The traffic of peasants, soldiers and horsemen had grown. After a few minutes Cate said, “There, I can see it through the trees!”

Slowly, the Hemlock Stronghold emerged. It was an impressively large structure. Tall, sloping stone walls stood solidly upon firm ground. The road passed through a gatehouse and entered the city surrounding Hemlock. It took them an hour to weave through it and pass through another gatehouse into the stronghold itself. Hans, Cate and Adrian were admitted freely without hassle into the courtyard. Towering over them was Hemlock keep: a rigid stone structure that was five stories tall and capped by a peaked wooden roof. To the left and right were the buildings one would expect to see in a castle: barracks, stables, great hall, chapel, kitchen.

“Are you sure we’re in a Forestdweller kingdom?” said Cate, “There’s more stone fortifications here than in Chevaport.”

“Well…” said Adrian, “Only the Forestmen have really retained the ways of Forestdwellers. The Wolfpack has a good dozen strongholds -- what they call “kahns” -- on the mainland and Fell Isle, and I think the Dark Foresters have even more.”

“The only big stone structure the Forestmen have is Drullen Bell.” said Hans, “And that’s all they need. They’re such a goody-goody nation that they don’t need to fortify everything.”

They continued onward through the courtyard. They passed a statue that looked quite abused. Several workmen were struggling to pull it down.

“Isn’t that Radjar Kath?” asked Cate.

Hans and Adrian peered.

“Yeah.” said Hans, “Pretty beaten up, if you ask me.”

One of the workmen had overheard them. He snorted and said, “That’s right, lad. Lots o’ people have taken a dislike toward thissin statue ever since his Princeship was caught hunting ‘pon our reservations. Quite a disgrace, that wos…”

“Prince Radjar Kath was hunting on Dark Forest reservations?” said Cate.

“Aye.” nodded the workman, “Tis’ reported he’s been quite restless since the end of the Wolfpack civil war. Not ‘nuff killing to do, I suppose…”

Hans, Cate and Adrian continued onward.

“I, for one,” said Cate, “Am glad the Dark Foresters finally got their act together and got a WOMAN as their leader. Women has sense…and aren’t barbarians who have to fight to entertain themselves.”

Adrian snickered and Hans grinned.

“Well, what do we do now?” said Hans, “This isn’t, like, going to be as easy as Drullen Bell. We don’t know anyone here.”

“Let’s see if we can get into the keep.” suggested Adrian, “I’m sure we’ll run into someone of importance there…”
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

Formendacil wrote:Thomas snapped his open mouth, about to say something, closed, and glared at his master.

While Sir Dractor, Sir Yves, and outlaws made their way into the forests out of the sight of the castle, Thomas Valt watched them go from its walls. He was feeling slightly moody at being left behind, and absorbed in his own thoughts, he failed to hear as Estella Tendarl came up behind him.

"Excuse me, good squire," she said. "I noticed you were watching them leave, and I wished to come join you."

"Why?" asked Thomas, frankly. "You don't know any of them really well, do you?"

"Sir Yves is a dear old friend," replied Estella. "And if your master succeeds in killing the foul beast, he shall be my betrothed. How can I not worry?"

"Maybe it's just my Dark Forest upbringing," said Thomas, "but being given away in marriage to the champion dragon slayer seems like a strange thing to get worried about in this way."

"But it is my duty and my privalege to wed the man so brave as to kill the dragon!" said Estella so honestly that Thomas was ready to believe her. "Tell me, what is Sir Dractor like? I have known him but a few hours, but he seems a most honourable and kind man."

"Well, uh," said Thomas, not sure what to say. "He's pretty single-minded. Fighting is what he does best, and I don't see him settling down anytime soon. He'd get too restless."

"But surely a man such as him must grow weary of endless battle and long to retire to the arms of the woman who loves him," said Estella dreamily, clearly thinking herself that woman.

"I don't know," said Thomas. "He's been at war for years- more than, um, thirty years. He's been fighting since he was younger than me- and he's gotta be, oh, fifty by now." Thomas decided to add an extra decade to Sir Dractor's life for good measure. "How old are you?" he asked.

"Eighteen," she replied, and Thomas took in breath sharply as he realised that she was even younger than he was, if only by a year.

"Don't you ever think it might be better to marry someone closer to your own age?" he asked. "Someone who will live about as long as you?"

"Of course it would be preferable to marry someone my own age," replied Estella, and for a second Thomas hoped that she was seeing sense, "but what man close to my age, to our age, has as great a hope of killing that dragon as Sir Dractor?"

Thomas decided to give up, and returned to staring moodily over the battlements. Estella seemed content to just stand there beside him, leaning on the crenellations, gazing off into the forest.

They must have stood there for several hours. When Thomas finally stirred, his mind having wandered over all sorts of diverse topics, from Alice Clooney back in Hemmerington to Gonderin's tattoos in Drullen Bell, the sun was starting to set and Sir Dractor and the others ought to have encountered the dragon by this time.

Then he saw it. Coming up out of the northeast, the direction Sir Dractor and the others had gone, was a great shape flying close to the horizon. As it drew nearer, Thomas could see the outline of a mighty dragon, easily 50 cubits long.

Estella had also caught sight of the dragon, as had the soldiers on the parapets. Soon the alarm was sounded, and the soldiers began to pour onto the battlements to prepare their defence against the oncoming dragon.

"I fear this means that your Sir Dractor was unsuccessful," said Lord Edmond to Thomas, as he arrived on the battlements. "For the dragon verily comes from the direction of Lake Wala. And I fear that we can not hope to survive an attack by him for long."

Thomas had his doubts about Sir Dractor's demise, but he agreed that the dragon meant serious trouble. Longer than the main tower of Emberlain Castle was wide, spewing flames easily twenty cubits long, and clearly possessed of muscles able to tear holes in stone walls, and armoured in thick reptilian scales, the dragon was a menacing beast indeed.

"Well, all we can do is try, right?" said Thomas. "There's nowhere to go, and nothing else to do."

"Not quite," said Lord Edmond, and he looked sorrowfully at Estella. "There is one thing that could stop the dragon."

"Estella?" said Thomas, confused.

"Yes," replied Lord Edmond. "The sacrifice of a maiden of noble blood would avert the dragon's wrath from our people for a year's time. It is an ancient pact."

"You can't be serious!" said Thomas, afraid that he was in the company of a madman. The Baron looked at him, sadder than anyone Thomas had ever seen.

"I am entirely serious," he said. "For the salvation of the majority of my people, I must offer up my daughter."

"My father is correct," said Estella. "It is the only way."

These people ARE mad, thought Thomas.
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

Grid: L-7
Lord_Of_The_LEGO wrote:“Well, what do we do now?” said Hans, “This isn’t, like, going to be as easy as Drullen Bell. We don’t know anyone here.”

“Let’s see if we can get into the keep.” suggested Adrian, “I’m sure we’ll run into someone of importance there…”
The only thing to do was to go on, and head straight for the main fortress, at the centre of the city.

"We'll just tell them the truth," said Hans. "We're scholars looking for information about the famous Earl of Wells, and in the aftermath of the Ikrosian attack up by Jewel Reef, we wanted to see if the Dark Forest archives had any new information on the Ikrosians, and, while we were at it, anything to do with the Earl."

"It's the truth, too," said Adrian. "As long as we actually DO look up the Ikrosians."

"What if they don't believe us?" asked Cate.

"Nonsense," said Hans, "why would they?"

They arrived at the gates of the fortress. With the Dark Foresters now living in peace, they were thrown wide open, and the three companions walked right in, after asking one of the guards if it was permissible to do so. He asked their business.

"The archives?" he said. "You'll be needing Andreas Farflax. Take the first hallway to your right from the courtyard, and down to the second lefthand door. That's his office."

They did as they were told.

It was a small office that they came to, with a bronze plaque on the door reading "Andreas Farflax, Chief Archivist". Hans knocked on the door. A balding man, slightly rotund, answered the door.

He invited them in, asked them to sit down, and then took a seat behind his desk.

"So, what are you looking for in the Dark Forest Archives?"

Hans and Adrian gave a version of their story similar to the one they had mentioned on their way through the city. Andreas Farflax frowned.

"The portions of the Archives that you wish to access are both restricted to the public. The true Archival portion, which is to say all documents from prior to 1930, is where you would find any information on this Nathaniel of Wells, if indeed we have any. As for any information pertaining to the Ikrosians, such information deals with the recent military campaign, and is completely off limits to the public."

"Oh," said Hans, affecting regret. "Well, I suppose we should have guessed that. Well, if we can't see the Ikrosian stuff, could we at least see the Archival section?"

"It is possible," said Andreas Farflax with a slow nod. "But you will need written permission from a member of the Royal Council, since you aren't Dark Forest nationals."

"Where could we find one of them to ask?" said Adrian. "As you mentioned, we're strangers here."

"I believe that Lord Modious Morphous is in his office," said the Chief Archivist. "I'll show you to him." Andreas Farflax led them out of his small office, and down the side halls of the stronghold, and up a couple stories, until they were reaching the large, grand office of the Dark Forest Councillor. A young attache met them.

"Who is wishing to see the Lord Morphous?" she asked.

"Hans Lentawl of Orion, Adrian Seojton of Tols, and the Lady Cate Slacs-Sicl of Orion," said Farflax, before leaving them to return to his office.

"Just a moment, please," said the attache. "Lord Modious is being consulted at the moment."

They had only a couple of moments to wait, however, before the doors flew open, and a tall, rather handsome man, stormed out, his face furious.

"I think that Lord Modious will see you now," said the attache, and she led them into a large, richly appointed study. Behind a large, well-crafted desk sat a proud-looking man in wealthy robes. The attache introduced them, and Hans explained what they wanted.

"Access to the Archives?" said Modious Morphous with a nod. "I fail to see any reason to grant you permission. If you cannot find what you want in Orion, then I do not see why you should wish to look here- unless you are looking for something that you should not be."

Adrian and Hans glanced at each other, unsure what to say, but Cate started talking, as if she had not a care in the world.

"Lord Modious," she said sweetly. "you're quite mistaken, but I suppose that's only natural after having to deal with that awful man."

"Awful man?" said Morphous, with a raised eyebrow. "You mean Prince Radjar Kath?" Hans and Adrian looked at each other again, and realized that the man who had stormed out of the room had been the ex-king of the Dark Foresters.

"Of course I mean him," said Cate. "I know all about him. Mother has cousins in the Delhaert family, and she's heard all about him from them. And you could tell from his behaviour at the Ball that he is the son of a pirate, and not a real noble."

"You were at the Ball?" said Modious, a bit of interest in his eyes. "I was there as well, as one of the Queen's representatives."

"Oh, then you must have been sitting with near the Malders," said Cate. "Delightful people- my third cousins on father's side. Wasn't it the most funny thing when that big knight, Sir Tractor or whatever- you know, the one who came with the Lord Bjarn (who is a darling man by the way; you can easily recognise his rougish ancestry)- threw up all over Prince Kath and that Forestman captain- what was his name? We had a good laugh over that."

"Yes," said Morphous with a lean smile. "It was nice to see Radjar get his comeupance. Or, should I say, his upchuckance. Hasn't dampened his pride at all, of course. He was just in here asking for a larger stipend. As Chancellor of the Exchequer, I'm the one who authorises any withdrawals from the Treasury- under Queen Arabella's authority, of course. I told him no. I can't justify more money for such a troublemaker. Have you heard about his poaching debacle?"

"On the way in," said Cate. "I couldn't believe it. SUCH a typical thing for him to do, though."

"Yes," said Modious, "well, I think, Lady Slacs-Sicl, that I should be getting back to work. What was it you wanted, again?"

"Just a little slip of parchment letting us into your archives," said Cate. "I'm researching some family history. The Delhaerts and the Slacs have always kept in touch, and I'm hoping to find some old letters or something. These two boys are my experienced scholars who will find me the documents."

"Here you are," said Modious, quickly scrawling something on a piece of parchment, and putting his seal on it. "That should take care of it. Thank you for stopping by, Lady Slacs-Sicl. It was a pleasure to me you."

"And you as well," said Cate. And, with that, they left Modious Morphous' study to seek the Archives.