Classic Castle Roleplay: October 2005

LEGO gaming, including group role playing games
Robin Hood
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Robin Hood »

Robin Hood wrote:Reaching the eaves of the forest, they took off their packs, cloaks and anything else that would get in their way. They then entered the forest, all three completely silent. They had not gone far before they entered a small clearing. In front of them were two ninja's, their faces masked and clothed entirely in black. Before they could say or think anything, two more black ninjas stepped out of the trees behind them.

"I think," said Aiden, drawing his rapiers, "that we have been set up."
Grid: B-16
Location: Forest near village near Daimyo Kash-Lid's fortress, Ninjarin side of Boranis Dracis Island.

"That you have," said a voice. A small stone in front of the companions suddenly shimmered and grew. In a second Cloak the shapeshifter stood in front of them.

If they had been alone, Kae-Os and Aiden would have attacked Cloak the minute he showed himself. But with the four black ninjas surrounding them, assuming that they were the same as the ones Shika had described, it wasn't the wisest of things to do. Instead, they examined the person they had spent the last months pursuing.

He was exactly as he had been described. He was dressed in black, wore a black cloak with the black hood up, and wore black gloves. That in its self wasn't too strange. What was different about the shifter was that though the sun was shining strong above, nothing could be seen of his face. It was pitch black.

"So," said Cloak, his voice coming from the black hole, "I finally can get a good look at my pursuers." He looked at Kae-Os. "I assume that you are main cause of my distress. I was told that you are an elf. Several things make sense now." Cloak turned to Aiden. "You I remember better. Such a self-centered, egotistic person is so hard to forget." He looked at Shika. "The Daimyo tells me that you are one of the shinobi. I have no use for you, but I am sure that the Daimyo would pay highly for a live captive shinobi."

Shika said nothing, but Kae-Os noticed her shift her stance, ever so slightly, into a more battle ready pose.

Cloak however, appeared to want to do no more gloating. He stepped back, behind the ninjas and nodded. As one entity, the four ninjas unsheathed their katanas and approached the three companions.

The three didn't let them attack. Kae-Os whipped out his spear and katana and assaulted the two ninjas behind them. Shika drew her own katana and fan, why the fan Aiden had no idea, and launched herself at another ninja. That left the last for Aiden.

Cursing silently, Aiden drew his two rapiers. While he was a way better swordsman than the average soldier, he was by now means an equal to a ninja. "I just hope that these aren't the real deal, rather just a bunch of guys dressed up to scare us." Thought Aiden.

Unfortunately for Aiden, the ninja appeared to be the real thing. Though he tried every trick in the book, and some that weren't, the ninja was always ahead of him. It took everything Aiden had to ward of the attacks that the ninja laid on him. And Aiden suspected that the ninja was just toying with him.

Fortunately, Kae-Os was holding his own against the two ninjas he was fighting. In fact, it seemed that he was wining, though not by much. While the ninjas outnumbered him, and perhaps were his equal in fighting strength and technique, Kae-Os had several centuries of experience and Elvin stamina.

Never the less, it was a spectacular fight. Kae-Os and the ninjas whirled through the air, their weapons touching for an instant before swinging through the air for another blow.

The match might have gone on for a long time, had Kae-Os not done a most un-human thing. He leapt straight into the air, followed by the ninjas. However, while the ninjas reached the peak of their jump and began to descend, Kae-Os continued upward for a few more feet due to his Elvin strength. This put the ninjas off balance long enough for Kae-Os to throw his spear into one of their throats. The ninja collapsed silently.

The other ninja tried valiantly to fend off Kae-Os, but alone, he had no chance. Kae-Os took him down within a minute.

Shika had faired fairly good as well. She managed to fend of the ninja, but it was unsure as to who would win. Shika put the question to rest by ducking under the ninja and shoving her fan into his stomach. Instead of breaking as a normal fan would, the ribs of it delved deep into the ninja's flesh.

The ninja gave a small groan and fell on his back. With a short swipe, Shika ended his pain.

Aiden however, was not fairing as well as the other two. Upon seeing that his companions were dead or dying, the last ninja stopped toying with Aiden. Blows came on swift and furiously. Aiden would have died within a minute, had Kae-Os not drawn his spear from a ninja and threw it in the back of Aiden's attacker.

The three companions stood alone in the clearing, panting slightly. Kae-Os turned to Cloak, only to find the shifter disappearing through the trees.

"Come on." Cried Aiden and the three dashed after the shifter.
I build, therefore I am.

Brave words coming from a guy called grapenuts.
Maedhros
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Maedhros »

Maedhros wrote:"Katamori-san, tell the crew to prepare for battle."
Grid: B-15

The night had fallen and everything was pitch-black. The Einhärjar had put out all lights and retired for the night. Vidkjal who had moved to live among his people was entering his tent when he suddenly heard a sound. He stopped and listened carefully. Footsteps.

Three Einhärjar were in the tent and he motioned for them to come to his side. They exchanged confused looks.

"What..." Vidkjal frowned and the Einhärjar fell silent.

"I heard footsteps", Vidkjal whispered. He took his twobladed axe and motioned for the others to do the same. Then he slowly began to walk with careful steps.

He hadn´t taken more than two steps before a cold blade caressed his neck. He stopped dead and swallowed.

"Who are you, gaijin?" A low and menacing voice asked from the darkness.

Vidkjal lowered his weapon. "I am Vidkjal Frändebane, jarl of the Einhärjar and an ally of the Kukishinden clan."

The blade was lowered from his neck and he sighed. Then a torch was lit about two feet from his face and he jumped back. Two brown eyes gazed at him from behind a black mask.

"Jarl of who, gaijin?"

Vidkjal contemplated the minifig before him, he was short and soaking wet. He must have swum, he thought. He held a finely crafted ninjarian katana in one hand and the torch in the other.

"The Einhärjar, and who are you if I may ask?"

"Kukishinden Hidemitsu, captain of the Kofukuryu", he replied.

"Oh, I´ve heard much about you, Hidemitsu-dono. It´s good to hear that you are back."

Hidemitsu didn´t show any signs of emotion and his voice was still equally hard.

"You live in peace with my people?"

Vidkjal nodded. "Yes, Hidemitsu-dono. We have sworn to be their allies to repay our debt."

"What debt?" Hidemitsu growled.

"One of my men killed the noble Masaryu."

Before Vidkjal had time to react he was locked in a stranglehold with Hidemitsu behind him. He panted for breath and tried to struggle but he had no chance.

"I see that my people have accepted you, swine. But when all this is over, when your debt is payed. I´m going to kill you." His voice was cold as the steel of his blade.

Vidkjal tried to nod and Hidemitsu released him only to dissappear into the night again. The torch was put out.

Vidkjal turned to his men. "We´d better get some sleep", he said.
"Hinc satis elucet maiorem habere uim ad discenda ista liberam curiositatem quam meticulosam necessitatem.”
- Augustinus Hipponensis
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

Grid: K-12
Location: The LEGOland/Fright Knight border, on the edge of Dracul province...
Formendacil wrote:"Good luck!" said Battista whole-heartedly as they marched on, past the border. "I hope it's as simple as you say."
They marched over the Classic border, and into the Fright Knight lands. Perhaps because it was autumn, and the leaves and such were falling in LEGOland, but the Fright Knight countryside didn't look remarkably different from their own. But it was quite quiet, and not a serf or peasant, or soldier did they see.

"Too close to the border," E'terriole told the Cadet-Lieutenants. "Fright Knights aren't allowed to build closer than three leagues, which is nine miles. It goes back to the days when the Fright Knights were just starting, and their customs were under attack by the surrounding factions. Even today, it helps a great deal in adding mystery and superstition to their doings."

"What's that?" Arthur pointed at a ridge on the horizon, where a small wood was growing. "I saw the light flash off of something shiny."

"I don't see anything," said E'terriole.

"I did," said one of the other Cadet-Lieutenants.

"Send one of the Cadet-Sergeants with a scouting squad to investigate," ordered E'terriole. "I doubt it's anything, but that would be a good place to spy on incoming people, if someone wanted to."

~~~~~~~~~~
Formendacil wrote:He terminated the telaharm, and turned to the Illusionist.

"Sorry to interrupt," he said, "but our quarry draws near. I'll be rousing the men."
Drazzuil was in the woods, with a fifth of his men, sixty soldiers in all. The Illusionist was with him.

"The column has stopped," said Drazzuil. "Excellent. Put down the mirror. All soldiers in position. Illusionist, are you ready?"

The thin, pale old man looked up at him with dark eyes.

"Always."
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

Grid: C-4
Formendacil wrote:"Thank you, greatly!" said Sir Yves. "When can we leave?"

"Noon tomorrow," said Sir Dractor. "This time, I'm getting some sleep before dashing off, and I have the matter of an army to send home and a ship to make a gift of."
"There she is!" said Sir Yves, as the ship drew near the coast. Before them the mountains of the Crags loomed in the distance, long since visible.

"What's this port?" asked Sir Dractor.

"Actually," admitted Sir Yves a bit shamefacedly, "I'm not certain. There's quite a few fishing villages like this along the coast. Half of them don't have names anyway. You can ask the captain, if you like."

"I think I'll be fine," said Sir Dractor. "As long as you can find our way to Fendor's Field."

"Don't worry about that," said Sir Yves, "all the roads to the interior reach Fendor's Field eventually. And if this village doesn't have a road going mountain-ward, the next one will."

"I'll take your word for it," said Sir Dractor. "How long should it take to reach Fendor's Field?"

"About five days, give or take," said Sir Yves. "Assuming, of course, that there still IS a Fendor's Field to return to. It's been close on two months since I left."

"If it HAS been destroyed, I'm sure we'll hear in the port," said Sir Dractor.

"Don't count on it," said Sir Yves with a grin, "news takes a long time to make its way out of the Crags."
Lord_Of_The_LEGO
Earl of Wells

Post by Lord_Of_The_LEGO »

Lord_Of_The_LEGO wrote:“In a week or so, I guess,” said Cate, “Whenever I get my parents’ permission…and your’s.”

Adrian continued to snicker.
Grid: J-10

True to Hans’ prediction, he and Adrian finished organizing Lord Slacs’ accounts a week after they had stumbled across Earl Nathaniel’s map.

“Superb work, good sirs!” pronounced Lord Slacs jovially after examining the sheaves of stacked papers and carefully filed manuscripts, “If I ever need my accounts sorted out again, I’ll know just who to call. Here’s the last of your pay.”

Lord Slacs passed Hans and Adrian a reasonably-sized pouch of coins each. Then he leaned back in his chair and smiled, hands clasped in his lap.

“So, young sirs, now that you are finished here, what will you do next?”

He didn’t even give time for either Hans or Adrian to begin to stutter a reply and answered his own question promptly.

“I have been informed by my dear daughter that the three of you plan to take a little journey to the Forestmen.”

He tone was confusedly neutral.

“Er…yes.” murmured Hans, hoping that was the right answer.

Lord Slacs broke into a wide grin.

“Excellent, most excellent!”

Hans and Adrian sagged in relief. The last thing they needed was their former employer have a fit about two unemployed adolescent introverts traveling with his daughter to the Forestmen.

“I am certain you will have a most enjoyable time.” continued Lord Slacs, “Farewell, young sirs!”

Hans and Adrian murmured a farewell and left the office. Lord Slacs sat silent for a moment, then chuckled, before taking up a quill.

“That Cate…”

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

“That went alright.” said Adrian as they walked down the halls of the Slacsentius Manor.

“Aye.” said Hans, “He wasn’t flustered at all…”

“I suppose that’s to be expected,” said Adrian, “This isn’t the first time Cate’s gone traveling. Heck, I met her on Lion Island when she was vacationing there. And she’s told me tales of other places she’s visited.”

“Well, anyway, that’s one hurtle down.” said Hans.

“There you are, boys!”

Hans and Adrian turned. Cate, dressed in a becoming crimson dress with golden trim, was bouncing down the hall toward them.

“Everything’s all set,” she breathed as she approached, “We can leave tomorrow, if you like…”

“What!” said Hans, “But I haven’t told my parents yet…”

“All taken care of.” said Cate slyly.

Hans barely blanched.

“You talked with them?”

“To your dad, at the Archives. He was quite warm to the idea of us two taking a trip together…”

As Hans went red Cate turned apologetically to Adrian.

“I’m sorry, Adrian, but I decided just not the mention you. Seemed more convenient.”

“Fine with me.” said Adrian, his mouth twitching as he attempted to subdue a grin.

“So,” said Hans, hastily changing the subject, “How are we going to travel to the Forestmen?”

“By horse.” said Cate promptly, “Carriages are so dreadfully slow, and walking will take too long. I’ve selected two fine stallions from my stables for you two.”

Hans and Adrian sagged.

“What!?” gaped Cate, “Please don’t tell me that, in addition to dancing, you two barbarians don’t know how to ride a horse?”

“I do…” said Adrian slowly.

“We both do.” said Hans.

“But…” said Adrian.

“But what?” demanded Cate.

“Riding gives me such a pain in the…rear…” said Hans.

Adrian nodded.

Cate sighed.

Boys.”
In the process of converting to [url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/nathanwells/]Flickr[/url].
Maedhros
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Maedhros »

Grid: A-16

Toratsugu, Katateru and Takekage had finally reached Mitsiwara. The village was almost impossible to find if you didn´t know where to look or accidentaly stumbled right into it. It was situated on the side of a small mountain right in the middle of a valley in a mountain chain that ran on the westcoast of Honryu. And the all the mountains were covered in a dense forest.

They made their way directly to Matsutaro Sensei´s house and only offered some polite nods to the people they passed.

Matsutaro´s house wasn´t special in anyway, in fact it was one of the most "normal" ninjarian houses you could imagine. But things were totally different on the inside. When they entered they came into a dining room which was very crowded. 13 minifigs, mostly old ones sat around the table. As Toratsugu, Katateru and Takekage entered all of them stood up and bowed. They returned the bows.

"Ah, Katateru-dono, Toratsugu-san and Takekage-san, welcome to my home. It´s good to see that the Kukishinden clan has come", Matsutaro said. Matsutaro seemed to be in his late 40s and he was slim and nimble.

Katateru answered him: "Well met again, Matsutaro-san. It is good to see that the Gyokushin clan has begun to take action."

Matsutaro shrugged. "In fact it was the Shindenfudo who begun planning." He nodded to Masamitsu Sensei, a hardened and scarred man in his 50s.

Katateru´s aged face broke into a smile. "Of course", he said and then he sat down. The others sat as well.

"So, what have you decided?" Toratsugu asked.

"As you have probably heard the people is growing restless. Now is the time to strike", Masamitsu said.

Toratsugu nodded. "I heard that, have you heard anything more from our Takagiyoshin kin in the capital?"

"Yes, as I said, the people of Kyoregoto wants change, or at least; a scapegoat and the Shogun fills that roll perfectly. Or would fill rather, if we pulled the right strings. Right now we are the scapegoats."

Toratsugu chuckled dryly. "What a surprise. It sounds good, though it will be hard. I wouldn´t expect you to come up with that sort of plan." He winked at Masamitsu who grinned.

"I didn´t, I would rather just bury my axe in his forehead."

"Wouldn´t we all, old friend?" Toratsugu replied with a slight smile.
"Hinc satis elucet maiorem habere uim ad discenda ista liberam curiositatem quam meticulosam necessitatem.”
- Augustinus Hipponensis
Robin Hood
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Robin Hood »

Robin Hood wrote:The three companions stood alone in the clearing, panting slightly. Kae-Os turned to Cloak, only to find the shifter disappearing through the trees.

"Come on." Cried Aiden and the three dashed after the shifter.
Grid: B-16
Location: Forest near village near Daimyo Kash-Lid's fortress, Ninjarin side of Boranis Dracis Island.

As they ran, the black figure just barely visible in front of them, the forest slowly got thicker. The three forced there through underbrush, bushes and low hanging plants. Aiden didn't see one branch and due to that, he got a mouth full of twig. Spitting and massaging his mouth, Aiden staggered upright and followed Kae-Os and Shika, who now had a fair lead on him.

Kae-Os, who was now a good fifty paces ahead of Shika, started using his katana to get through the ever-thickening forest.

Suddenly, all underbrush disappeared. The elf stood in section of forest; free from plants, save for tall pine trees, whose lowest branches were twice Kae-Os' height from the ground. Wary of the change in plant life, the elf walked through the trees. He had not taken two steps before a huge weight hit his head and he blacked out.

Aiden got back to his feet again after hitting his second branch. Slowing down slightly, he came to the pine clearing. Just as he was to step out, Shika grabbed him from behind and pulled him down into the underbrush.

"Wha..." was all Aiden could get out before Shika closed her hand on his mouth. Gesturing him to be silent, she whispered in his ear.

"Kae-Os is lying there unconscious. We stand little chance against whatever hit him unless we use caution."

Aiden wanted to comment on how he knew that, but refrained from doing so. Shika did have a point. If Cloak had managed to knock out Kae-Os, he was either extremely powerful or extremely clever. Either way it didn't look good.

The two slowly walked into the clearing, each at an angle to each other so as not to be surprised. They slowly walked to Kae-Os. When they were about five yards from him, something huge landed on them, knocking their breath out.

Twisting to see what it was, Aiden jump as he saw a huge yellow, orange and black cat. The cat was huge, bigger than even a normal tiger. I could easily take on a small dragon. Cloak had obviously used his ability to good use. Slowly getting to his feet, Aiden clutched his rapiers and watched Cloak circle them. Shika did the same.

Rather than attacking directly, Cloak ran to Aiden's left, bounded of a tree and leapt on him. Having set himself to feel the tiger's weight, it came as a shock to have medium sized boulder land on him. He had hardly time to cry out in pain before Cloak shifted again. Jumping off Aiden, Cloak, now in the form of the tiger again, attacked Shika.

The shinobi swung her katana at him, but at the last second Cloak shifted again, this time into a wasp. With nothing to swing at, Shika's katana hit the ground before she could bring it around to attack. This was all Cloak needed. He shifted into an ape-like creature with unusually thick arms, and jumped on her, intending to crush and strangle her.

But Shika had a trick left. As Cloak fell, she pulled out her fan and held it up, right into the path of the shifter. Cloak tried to shift again, but wasn't quite fast enough. The ribs of the fan dug deep into his right arm. Screaming in rage, Cloak, still in his ape-like form, fell on Shika. The huge left arm hit her on the side of her head and knocked her out. He might have finished her off, but one of Aiden's rapiers buried itself his foot.

Cloak leapt off Shika's limp form and ran a little ways away from the fight. Turning back into his normal shape, he said. "You'll wish you had not done that. I was intending on keeping you alive to work in the Daimyo's pits, but that would be to kind. But don't worry, I'll make sure that you experience lots of pain before I kill you."

That said, Cloak shifted again. This time, he was still in human form, but not his own. He was in Kae-Os' form. Aiden looked at his elf friend's body just to make sure he was there.

Apparently Cloak had gotten Kae-Os' abilities along with his shape. With unnatural speed, Cloak ran at Aiden. Aiden knew that even without a weapon, Kae-Os could defeat him easily. He suspected the same went for the elf Cloak.
I build, therefore I am.

Brave words coming from a guy called grapenuts.
TheOrk
Master

Post by TheOrk »

G-7 An inn outside of town
And it was that joke that made Jainess laugh for the first time in years. "Sure, why not? When do we leave?"
Kale finished his ale. “Well, I’m ready to go now. I only stopped in here for a quick lunch anyway.”

Jainess nodded, “ok, I just have to get my sword and armour from my room. With that she got up and left.

Kale drummed his fingers along the bar, at least something had happened today. Even if it wasn’t much. Meeting a fellow bull (or should he say ex-bull?) in a bar would have been a cause for celebration a year ago, but now they were everywhere. They weren’t many pure blood bulls left, most used to be the bloody falcons. There were even a number of forest dwellers settling in the eastern regions. The Jewel Reef incident spurred that on even further.

Kale wondered what Jainess got in a fight with Barbod for. It wasn’t his place to ask and Jainess didn’t seem like the type of woman he would go straight up to and ask. He felt sorry for her, she must have waited years like everyone else, for their time to come back as a faction, only to have it taken away from her. Then again it was self imposed.

Kale didn’t think anymore on that matter. A jolt of pain hit him in his side. “Bloody megablox potions…” He grumbled inaudibly to anyone listening. Gritting his teeth and cursing quietly under his breath, he stumbled out of the common room for a breath of fresh air.

Once he had stumbled into the alley, he regained his exposure. He didn’t realize it, but he had been on his knees. Before he could get to his feet, a knife was at his throat. Some filthy looking minifig was behind him. That’s all he needed to know. He elbowed him in the gut and whirled around. He gave the man a sharp crack to the head and then a second one to finish him off. A second knife thief attacked him from behind, Kale simply unsheathed his sword and impaled him.

He looked at the two bodies motionlessly. Oh well. So long as that didn’t interfere with his plans, he didn’t care. Dusting himself off, he went in search of Jainess…
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

Grid: K-12
Location: The LEGOland/Fright Knight border, on the edge of Dracul province...
Formendacil wrote:"The column has stopped," said Drazzuil. "Excellent. Put down the mirror. All soldiers in position. Illusionist, are you ready?"

The thin, pale old man looked up at him with dark eyes.

"Always."
From their vantage point at the top of the bluff, Drazzuil and the Illusionist had an excellent view of the marching Cadet column.

"Remember, we want some large, scary, and distinctly Fright Knight in appearance," said Drazzuil.

"I know what I am doing," said the Illusionist, with a trace of irritation. Drazzuil backed off.

The Illusionist gripped his staff, closed his eyes, and focused. A great cloud of black mist appeared in front of him, slowly congealing into a solid-looking form. The form of an enormous bat appeared before them. It was ebony black, streaked with a scarlet red. Smoke rose from its mouth, and its call was a loud, shrill cry.

"Excellent!" said Drazzuil.

The Illusionist said nothing, but sent the bat swooping down at the Cavaliers, red flame pouring from its mouth, conveniently passing over the heads of the Cadets.

"Stay together!" shouted E'terriole. Arthur, Jayko, and the other Cadet-Lieutenants echoed his cry as they galloped back to their commands. Some had less success than others. Arthur, with the 2nd Company, was the closest to E'terriole, and benefitted the most from his presence, followed by 1st Company. 3rd Company was all together, but totally mixed up, and 5th Company was scattered, having been the closest to the flaming bat. Jayko managed to restore some order in his company.

"Stick together!" he shouted. "You're Cavaliers, for goodness' sake! Remember your training! It hasn't even hurt anyone yet!"

The bat swooped away, and seemed to vanish, but few eyes followed it, for a great winged spider now appeared behind them, gnashing its pincers, and trailing its legs right over their heads, as if trying to catch them. 3rd Company broke ranks completely.

As the spider veered off to the east and vanished, a twenty-foot ghost appeared in the west. It was a tall, shrouded figure, clad in chains, all in pale, greenish-white.

"Doom!" it tolled, "doom! Begone, ye invaders of this land! Death shall take all of ye who remain! Doom!"

1st Company was a mess of chaos, as the ghost passed by. By now, half the fleeing Cadets seemed to have taken off towards the Classic border, while the other half seemed to have disappeared. Two groups remained where they were. One, the larger, was bunched around E'terriole and Arthur. The smaller was around Jayko, who's attempt at appearing unconcerned and prepared was obviously more convincing than he thought it was.

"They're half gone," said Drazzuil, pleased. "You know your stuff! You have my thanks, and my Lord's."

Then he turned to his men, and gave the orders to attack.
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

Grid: K-10
Lord_Of_The_LEGO wrote:“But what?” demanded Cate.

“Riding gives me such a pain in the…rear…” said Hans.

Adrian nodded.

Cate sighed.

Boys.”
It took a couple days, but Adrian and Hans DID eventually get used to the saddle. Cate was most amused by their riding up until that point, and even after, for although the boys COULD ride, there was overwhelming evidence that they didn't do it too well.

"Names, homes, and citizenship, please," requested the Crusader guard at the border. Cate, Hans, and Adrian all submitted the information, which was duly inscribed in a large tome, and then were waved through the border.

"Ah," said Adrian. "This feels better. Things feel so much more... right."

"Um, Adrian," said Hans, "the only difference I can see is the flags."

"Exactly," said Adrian. "Gosh! it's good to be back on my home soil..."

"This is soil is technically more similar to the soil in Orion than the soil in Tols," said Hans.

"But it's Crusader soil!" said Adrian. "Someday, when we get back to Orion, you'll know what I mean."

"I rather doubt it," said Hans, "dirt doesn't mean that much to me..."

"It's not the dirt itself!" said Adrian, but before he could finish his rejoinder, Cate cut in.

"Would you boys get back on your horses?" she asked. "We've got another border to cross, and I'd like to get a move on in its direction."

"Yes, great lady Cate," said Adrian, clambering clumsily onto his steed. Hans said nothing, but landed in the saddle with and "oof".

"Pity we aren't going along the coast," said Adrian, as they rode along, "there are some awesome old castles down there. I saw a few on my way down in the spring."

"Dude, I practically live in the Yellow Castle," said Hans.

"Yeah, but these are totally different," said Adrian. "The ones I'm talking about are abandoned ruins, totally empty, with moss and ivy all over them, not the shiny parapets of Orion."

"Castles are overrated," said Cate. "Give me a villa, anyday."

"You can't defend yourself from an invading army in a villa," pointed out Adrian.

"Speaking of castles," said Hans, "Drullen Bell is going to be awesome. It's one of the five most famous castles in Dametreos, and it's a lot more, I dunno, Castley-feeling, than the Yellow Castle."

"It doesn't feel like a palace," said Adrian.

"Isn't Drullen Bell the largest fortress in the Forestdweller kingdoms?" asked Cate.

"According the books," nodded Hans, "and back before the kingdoms seperated, it was the capital of all of them. You know, its really amazing that such a huge stone fortress stands in what is a really non-fortress sort of culture. The Forestmen, especially, normally only use wood for their constructions."

"All the stonemasons must have gone to the Wolfpack," said Adrian with a touch of humour, "they have several stone fortresses. What's really funny, though, is that none of these wood-loving nations have a real navy. Just think! All that wood, and no ships!"

"Hey!" said Hans, pointing at an inn coming up along the road, "let's stop and get something to eat, I'm famished!"
Lord_Of_The_LEGO
Earl of Wells

Formendacil wrote:"Hey!" said Hans, pointing at an inn coming up along the road, "let's stop and get something to eat, I'm famished!"
Grid: K-10

“Excellent idea!” agreed Adrian, “Time for you two ignorant Classics to eat some real Crusader grub!”

Hans grimaced.

“Grub? Wonderful. Do I get any splendid Crusader soil along with my Crusader grub?”

Adrian leaned from his horse and swiped at Hans, who swiped back. Cate was forced to snap “Boys!” before they both fell from their saddles.

“What?” said Hans and Adrian together.

Cate sighed.

“I can’t believe I want to be seen in public with either of you. Fine then, let’s eat. It’s getting late anyway.”

And indeed it was. It was near the middle of October, and each day was noticeably shorter. The wind was also chillier. The trio shivered, a breeze sweeping over them as they handed over the reigns of their horses to a stable boy.

“Let’s get a table by the fire.” said Cate, rubbing her hands together.

“You two go…” said Adrian, “I, er, need to find the privy…”

“Right.”

Adrian pushed his way through a crowd of Crusader merchants and disappeared through the back door of the inn. Hans snickered and he and Cate sat at a small, rickety table that was just where Cate wanted it: near the fire. Soon a haggard-looking barmaid came along and Hans and Cate ordered drinks.

“Let’s wait for Adrian to return before we get food.” suggested Cate, “This is his domain now, and he should know the good stuff.”

“Alright” agreed Hans.

Soon their ale arrived. Hans took a swing.

“Not bad stuff, this Crusader ale.”

He finished off his glass, ordered another one, and drank it. After wiping his mouth, he looked around.

“Where is Adrian?”

At that moment, Adrian appeared, grinning, his hands clasped around an impressive mug.

“What’s that?” demanded Hans.

Adrian scooted onto the bench beside Hans.

“This, my friend, is a pint.”

Hans gaped.

“It comes in pints?”

Adrian made a non-committal noise, his face obscured by the mug. Hans stood up.

“I’m getting one.”

“But you’ve had two already!” Cate objected, grabbing Hans by the back of his tunic and pulling him back down, “You look perfectly dumb enough without getting drunk.”

She shot a severe glance at Adrian, still deep in his mug.

“And that goes for you, too, Adrian Seojton.”

Hans, with a forlorn look, remained seated. Adrian also reluctantly set aside his pint.

“Now,” said Cate briskly, “Adrian, as the only Crusader among the three of us, it is only fitting you should order.”

Adrian grinned, a glint in his eye.

“Okay…” he said eagerly.

Hans leaned over and whispered in Cate’s ear, “That may have been a mistake…”
In the process of converting to [url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/nathanwells/]Flickr[/url].
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

Grid: L-9
Lord_Of_The_LEGO wrote:“Now,” said Cate briskly, “Adrian, as the only Crusader among the three of us, it is only fitting you should order.”

Adrian grinned, a glint in his eye.

“Okay…” he said eagerly.

Hans leaned over and whispered in Cate’s ear, “That may have been a mistake…”
It was the next day. The three young friends were several leagues away from the previous night's supper, but Hans and Cate were still talking about it- with slightly different emotions.

"Okay..." said Adrian eagerly, getting up and conversing quietly with the innkeeper. After getting a nod from her, he returned to the table.

"So what are we getting?" asked Cate.

"Yeah..." said Hans. "I'm not sure I trust that evil grin."

"Just a simple, Crusader meal," said Adrian, unconvincingly. "I've ordered different meals for each of us, so that you can get a wider view of Crusader cuisine."

"Sounds like a plot to give us something disgusting while you eat the best dish in the house," said Hans. "Is that fair? Didn't we treat you well in Orion?"

"Patience, my young apprentice," said Adrian. "In Orion I was but the learner. Now I am the master."

"Can't you tell us?" asked Cate. "I've probably heard of it. I HAVE spent time in your country, you know."

"But not in a countryside inn," said Adrian, enjoying the suspence. "But I suppose it won't hurt to tell you... You're each getting a meal of perogies and sausages, while I'm having a stack of pancakes with maple syrup."

"That doesn't sound so bad," said Cate.

"Perogies?" asked Hans.

"Basically cheddar-flavoured mashed potato dumplings," said Adrian. "Although sometimes other fillings are used, like sauerkraut."

"Oooh, yummy!" said Hans. Cate didn't say anything, but appeaered slightly relieved. Less than ten minutes later, the innkeeper brough their food out personally. It was excellent timing, Adrian, thought, since he was getting close to the bottom of his pint.

"For the young master," said the innkeeper, depositing a plate of syrup-drenched pancakes in front of Adrian.

"For the other young master," she said, going around the table. Hans was next. A plate of perogies, with chopped fried onions mixed with them, was placed in front of him. Two big, fat, ground-beef and pork sausages sat on the side of the plate next to a pool of applesauce.

"And for the young lady," the innkeeper said as she put Cate's plate in front of her with a bow. Cate had to struggle not to gag as she saw that HER sausages were liverwurst.

As the innkeeper bustled away, Adrian turned to the others:

"Shall I say Grace?"

"Yes," said Cate, "I think my liver is going to need it. I hate liver..."

"You got liver?" said Hans, "mine's pure meat..."

They were silent for a moment as Adrian offered up a prayer of thanks to Chodan for the food before them, and then he and Hans dug into their food with gusto.

"Mmmm..." said Hans, having finished his first perogy. "These are good. Try one, Cate."

Cate did, and let out a gasp of shock.

"Adrian," she said, "these are NOT potatoes in here."

Adrian and Hans bent over her plate.

"Oops," said Adrian, "that's sauerkraut."

"Sauerkraut?" said Cate.

"Yeah, shredded, fermented, cabbage," explained Adrian. "I guess this is my fault... I told the innkeeper you were foreigners who wanted to try the local food. I forgot that they serve liverwurst and sauerkraut a lot more on the mainland. Up on Lion Island, you don't see much of them. Just the meat and potatoes."

"No," sighed Cate, "it's my fault. I TOLD you to order..."

Cate may have taken the blame, but she was somewhat ticked off at the gusto with which Adrian and Hans had proceeded to demolish their meals- and then hers. Adrian and Hans between them ate the sauerkraut perogies, and even the liverwurst had mostly disappeared by the time that the innkeeper had come around to gather their dishes.

They spent the night in that inn, Adrian and Hans put to sleep very quickly thanks to their pints, and Cate went to sleep with a growling stomach.

Breakfast was a small affair, and then it was back on the road. By midday, Cate was quite grumpy, and quite famished.

"Boys," she said, "let's get some food in the next village. I'm famished."

"Same here," said Adrian.

"Yeah, my stomach is starting to implode," said Hans.

"Boys..." muttered Cate.
Lord_Of_The_LEGO
Earl of Wells

Lord_Of_The_LEGO wrote:“I must be off. One of McGregor’s irrigation ditches has collapsed, I need to help dig it out.”

“Have fun getting your hands dirty.” Chuckled Felix, “I know I would. And don’t forget to practice those scales!”
Grid: P-10

Dale did practice those scales. And he did get dirty, very much so, along with the Korvalt boys, Mr, McGregor, and Herman and Lansen, two twins about Dale’s age who were both strong and good-natured and were in the habit of speaking in unison. When they had repaired the irrigation ditch, they all took a raucous bath in the Valdärn, the winding river that flowed through the outskirts of east Hemmerington.

Dale was interrupted from dunking Paul by a musical laugh. Alice Clooney stood a distance away, her blonde hair whipping in the breeze. All the boys yelped and dove deeper into the water to ensure certain parts were adequately hidden. Alice laughed again.

“You need not worry, boys,” she called, “I can’t see anything from here! But you’d best come out! Dying of cold is no fun! A month more and the Valdärn will be frozen over!”

“All the more reason to enjoy it now!” cried Herman and Lansen.

But all of them were shivering, and so, once Alice’s back was turned, they crawled out onto the back, then dried and dressed themselves. The Korvalt boys soon slunk off, each tossing furtive glances Alice’s way. Mr. McGregor slapped the twins and Dale on the back.

“Fine work, lads!” he bellowed, “Much thanks!”

“Not at all.” chimed Herman and Lansen, and, along with the farmer, they departed, leaving Dale and Alice alone. Alice smiled.

“You look different.” she said.

“It must be the tan. Or the muscles. Or the new scar I got when Old Tom’s wagon went astray…”

“You look…alive.” said Alice quietly.

“I feel…alive.” said Dale, “Even more alive then when I was with Walf, and Logon, and Alex, and Bjarn, and Reno, and Shainya.”

Dale stopped. Alice looked at him.

“Alice,” he said slowly, “There’s something I need to tell you.”
Lord_Of_The_LEGO
Earl of Wells

Formendacil wrote:"Boys," she said, "let's get some food in the next village. I'm famished."

"Same here," said Adrian.

"Yeah, my stomach is starting to implode," said Hans.

"Boys..." muttered Cate.
Grid: L-9

The next village was located on the Wasserstraße, a river converted into a canal by the Crusaders to better fit their needs. The Wasserstraße was vital to the Crusader economy, for goods were forever being shipped up and down river upon barges and riverboats. After a quick sup, which this time Cate ordered (“NO livers!”), the trio crossed over the Wasserstraße and continued north. By late afternoon, as the chilly wind began to pick up again, they entered the Crusader port of Farburg.

“Shall we continue across the border, or stay here tonight?” asked Cate.

“Stay.” said Adrian, “We’ve barely spent three days on Crusader soil.”

“Yes,” said Hans with a smirk, “Let Adrian be with his precious soil one more night.”

So they stayed, holing up in an inn called the Pink Periwinkle. As the three of them ate Hans and Adrian in intervals discussed the history of Farburg.

“This place sure has tales to tell.” said Hans as he mopped up syrup with a wad of pancake, “Just about every Forestman/Crusader conflict began here in Farburg.

“It that why it’s so heavily fortified?” asked Cate.

“Aye,” nodded Adrian, “If the Forestmen have one weakness it’s against stone walls. Hard to climb over, harder to break through. Originally Farburg was protected by only a palisade, like Jewel Reef. Well, you can guess what happened. Just look at when those Ikrosians invaded. Palisades burn, or rot, or collapse. Needless to say the Forestmen kicked the snot out of the Crusaders. But then the Crusaders retaliated, and burn down some of the forest. That’s the way it’s basically been since the beginning. Back and forth, back and forth.”

“But just a while ago you called the Forestmen goody-goody peaceful.” said Cate.

“Well, compared to the other nations, they are.” said Hans, “According to the records, they are at the very bottom of the list with the number of official engaged conflicts. They’re even below the Westerners, who are so meekly paranoid they don’t dare fight out against anything. And besides, most of the strife between the Forestmen and the Crusaders was not outright wars, but small border disputes, with lots of angst, sabotage and property damage, but very little loss of life.”

Adrian nodded.

“That’s right. There was conflict between them until, well, until the BloodVaine War.”

“It’s been said so often it’s almost a cliché,” said Hans, “But BloodVaine did actually help unite the factions. I mean, look: after the wildfire that razed the Forestdweller lands and the attacks of Bahamut that obliterated Crusader ports, Forestmen and Crusaders met in Farburg to trade and discuss an alliance. And that alliance still stands. Farburg indeed has seen a lot.”

Cate yawned.

“As fascinating as this is.” she said, rising, “It is late, and we must rise early tomorrow if we wish to reach Drullen Bell. G’night, you two.”

And so, with the history of Farburg on their minds, the trio went to bed.
Sir Dillon
Man-At-Arms

Post by Sir Dillon »

J-12
Fright Knight prison.

Cynan sat gloomily down on the small wooden bench in front of him, and stared up at the four walls looming up around him. He stood up again, and took five steps to the small door. Peering out the barred window in it, he watched the guard trudge down the long row of cells down the corridor, up a small flight of steps, and out of view.

He sat down again sighed discontentedly. Out of all the places he wanted to go to, of all the places he thought he would go to, he never imagined he'd end up in a Fright Knight town prison.

~~~~~

The guard walked up the stairs, into his small office space, and seated himself at his desk. He whistled a small tune as he filled out paper work. As he worked, he saw in the corner of his what looked like the shadow of a man move swiftly by, and through the small arch which lead to the prison cells.

Grabbing his spear that was leaning against the wall, he hopped up and strode to the doorway and looked in. Seeing no one, he shrugged and went back to his papers.