Classic-Castle Roleplay: November 2005

LEGO gaming, including group role playing games
Sir Kohran
Sheriff

Post by Sir Kohran »

With that, the ranger headed through the gateway into the city. Callomir gave one look at the unconscious man, then ordered the rest of his bemused soldiers through to Port Jozef.
Grid: E-11

As soon as Callomir and his men entered the city, they were struck by the awful stench that made most of them gag. it was a terrible smell, made up of all sorts of disgusting substances that are best not mentioned here.

The state of the city reflected the smell. The roads were worn and uneven, and were filthy; the gutters were filled with gunge and foul liquids. Overcrowded, dark houses and old buildings leered over the pavements and alleyways, trying to reach out and cover all the spaces.

The people were made up of all sorts: good and bad. In some parts, merchants old their goods; rich people surveyed their homes, and shopkeepers opened their businesses. In most areas, though, the streets were polluted with thieves, drunkards, beggars, criminals and whores. Their shouting and swearwords filled the air.

Gaeth spoke everyone's thoughts. "Revolting."

"Oh, come on." Callomir told his men, shaking his head in disgust. "Let's find an inn."

Before they could do so, however, a large man strode up, dressed in a faded Royal Knight tunic, carrying a book with him.

"H'excuse me, sir, but h'it costs twenty drofts to h'enter Port jozef."

"That's absurd! I won't pay twenty drofts!" Callomir burst out, and then remembered his status, taking up a formal tone. "You cannot charge citizens of the Royal Kingdom to enter this city; it is their right as citizens to traverse the country as they wish, as stated in the laws set down by King Barbarossa, in CC 1935. And besides, we are Royal Knights, as in military men of the Crown. We are on a spcial mission of high importance, to track down invaders from the sea, that recently attacked a village near here."

"H'I heard h'about that." the man said quietly. "The news reached h'us this mornin', h'in h'a message from Castleton. Well, seein' h'as you're h'on good business, h'I'll let ye h'in free o' charge."

"Cheers." the Royal Knight replied, but inwardly, he was surprised. The news reached Castleton that quickly? Well, at least the King knows now. He's sure to send us a ship...

He faced his soldiers, who were all waiting for orders. "Well, our messanger pigeon reached Castleton, I'm happy to say, so the King should be sending us a ship and a crew very soon, I'm sure!"

There was a small scattering of cheering through the soldiers. Callomir smiled briefly, before moving on. At last, he had another chance at glory!

Most of the people avoided the soldiers, not wanting to become involved with the law. For their part, Callomir and his men returned the favour.

Eventually, they found an inn, The Rusty Anchor. A sign hung beneath it: 'Every 1 welcum!'

"Food! At last..." some of the Royal Knights murmured.

However, the innkeeper proved to be as good as his writing.

"What do you mean 'no room'?" Callmir shouted cross the bar at the man, who was overweight with a scrawny berard.

"Like I's told you. We don' got enough rooms for forthy men. Only room for four."

Callomir sisghed and turned back to his soldiers.

"We're going to have to split up. I'll take three men and sleep here. Riker, Ardal, Seth, and Jonathen, take eight men with you each and try and find suitable sleeping conditions for all the soldiers. Understood?"

"Yessir." the captains replied, and started to organize the soldiers.

"Gaeth, come with me. I'm going to the harbour. We've got some business to do."

Wordlessly, the ranger nodded, and followed Callomir towards the docks.
Sir Kohran
Sheriff

Post by Sir Kohran »

Lord Of The LEGO wrote: Viktor flung himself into the chair.

"Then get on with it."
Grid: K-10
Date: August 19, 2005

Solesstorn narrowed his eyes at the arrogant Easterner, and then continued his tale.

“The attack went smoothly at first. I led the forces on the ground as we launched a diversionary assault to draw out Vermicus’s forces. Meanwhile, my brother Orlan led a group of his best knights up through a secret tunnel into the depths of the Dark Fortress, where they killed Vladek, the commander of the Shadow Knights, splintering the defences of the Fortress.”

At this point, Santis broke in. "Hey! Vladek, you say? Ain’t he still alive? Only about a year ago, I saw him myself, leading his Shadow Knight scum."

Solesstorn sighed. Another interruption. When will these impertinent Easterners learn to shut up?

The wizard held back his sharp tongue, and answered slowly.

"That was Vladek I that my brother killed. The Vladek that currently rules the free Shadow Knights is named Vladek II, in memory of that malicious shifty-brick."

"What do you mean by ‘free Shadow Knights’?” Jaythus asked. I thought they were all ruled by Vladek and the Shadow Council."

Solesstorn was beginning to loose his temper. When would they be quiet and let him finish his story?

"I'll get to that bit in a minute. You have to hear this part for it to make sense. Now, as I was saying...

"Once the warriors of the Fortress had been scattered and defeated, there was only Vermicus himself left to destroy, brooding at the top of his tower. But the Great Sorcerer was unbeatable by practical means. He was immune to any weapon or spell we used on him, and he killed many brave men with horrible ease.

“But then we brought forth our secret weapon: the Shield of Ages."

"The Shield of Ages!?" Mikelen shouted, in a manner that betrayed his age. "That can't be possible!"

Solesstorn gritted his teeth, but kept his cool.

"Yes, that was the Shield of Ages that your legends speak of. It was a mighty weapon that had been forged in years past, in a far-off land to ward off darkness. Orlan and I recovered it during one of our previous adventures, on a mission for the Council. Indeed, my brother held it up, and sent Vermicus’s spells of death right back at him. The Great Sorcerer, not expecting such a cunning move, was thrown down, and his staff broken.

"But there was still the Vladmask to deal with. We had to destroy it quickly, as Vermicus was already recuperating his mana. I was supposed to use my own magic to finish Vermicus, as Orlan had used most of his energy already, with the Shield of Ages.

"But...I couldn't."

At this point, Solesstorn’s voice started to waver. The three Easterners leaned in closer.

"As I started to tear the Vladmask apart with my power...Evil spoke in my head. He told me to leave it, that Vermicus was as good as dead anyway, and that my brother should finish him off by rights."

"I stopped. I failed. I didn’t destroy it . The Vladmask was damaged, but not broken. I tore my hand away, but - " he raised his Undead hand, with its pale green and grey colours, and peeling skin - "My failure scarred me. I was cursed for my foolery with the curse of undeath. Forever.

Viktor stared at the wizard and his defiled hand with a mixture of sympathy and disgust. Jaythus blinked a few times, his eyes dim.

"Orlan was furious with me, and cursed my name, but he knew that he had to bring down Vermicus, so he gave his own life’s energy to kill Vermicus’s physical form instead.

"As soon as Orlan plunged his sword down into his enemy's body, Vermicus’s spirit was instantly banished to the astral plains. His armies fled mindlessly into the hills and mountains, like ants without a ruler. The Dark Fortress crumbled and broke. The Vladmask splintered, and fell into a deep chasm. The entire Scopos clan was scattered, just like the Orcs and Trolls. Ankoria – and all of Dametreos – was freed from Vermicus and his machinations.

"But my brother paid a terrible price for his sacrifice. Giving his life's energy removed his immortality, and he became a mere mortal man. I was branded with the scar of Undeath.

"Orlan, as I said, was furious with me. He called me a coward and a traitor, and he was right. I tried to tell him of my meeting with Evil, and of the insights I gained – but he wanted nothing more to do with me. He disowned me and set off with his knights and the now-broken Shield of Ages, to form a new home for himself in Dametreos. They became known as the Knights of the Citadel, as they formed the Citadel of Orlan in the Moorlands and became masters of fighting. They were the ancestors of the Knights’ Kingdom, but they mingled and their noble blood is now all but spent. Bur it exists still...in the veins of the Knights' Kingdomers. Because all of you are descendents of the Knights of the Citadel, though your blood has mingled with the others."

"But that means..." Jaythus began.

"Oh, leave it, lad." Santis cut in. "I want to hear the end of this thing. Go on, Solesstorn. Speak."

Solesstorn shut his eyes quietly, thinking back on memories he'd rather forget.

“I turned my back and left the ruins, too broken and ashamed to talk further. I considered impaling myself with my sword, but in a fit of sanity I didn’t.

“I watched the rest of the war from afar. As you should know, Inion was crushed by Verlin the Great, and his spirit was later defeated by the Fellowship of the Pendants, about half a year ago.

"Peace was restored to Dametreos. The Classics came into power, and established the Yellow Castle. The One Brick To Rule Them All was used to heal the corruption of the land. The Emperor came to power. The factions developed, and after hundreds of years, humanity became the dominant power in Dametreos, ruling over all others.

"But fate had one last trick to play. When I returned to Dametreos, after years of travelling, to check on my brother, I found that due to his mortality, he had married, had children, and had died. My brother and I had never reconciled. I had missed my one chance to reddem myself. I had missed his death. My brother was gone forever, and it was my fault. His son – my nephew – became the new leader of the Knights of the Citadel. I left Dametreos behind, and returned to the Council. But they were enraged with my failure, and expelled me from my home. So for many hundreds of years, I was a wanderer, an exile, travelling the spheres of the world, trying to fight evil and heal pain wherever I could.

"That wasn’t the last of it though. Inion’s spirit infested my brother’s line, and for hundreds of years, the evil within my brother’s line grew stronger, until one day, it manifested itself, in the form of his descendant, a boy who became a mighty wizard, training under Lord Void. At first, he looked like he would be a powerful sorcer...but then he too fell to darkness, just like Vermicus, so many years before him, and took up evil magic. He changed his name to BloodVaine."

There was a shudder throughout the room. Outside, a wolf howled.

Storm spoke quietly. "So...BloodVaine was related to you?"

"Yes." Solesstorn smiled, mirthlessly. "You could almost say he was my nephew. But anyhow, you all know what happened to him. After a terrible conflict, BloodVaine was killed, and my brother’s once noble line was destroyed. Still, Dametreos was freed of that scourge forever. As I watched from afar, I secretly prayed that Dametreos would be peaceful in future times.

"However, the land has begun to darken again. Though Inion and BloodVaine may have fallen, Vermicus is now at large again. His spirit has found a new body, and he is gathering the forces of darkness to him again...many of the Shadow Knights have rebelled against the Cult and joined him. The Ankorian tribes of wildmen have joined his cause. Orcs from the hills once again serve him. Mercenaries, seduced by his promises of gold, march to his gates. Trolls, bred from the pits, are armed and made ready for war. He has even summoned Gargoyles, to drive fear into the hearts of the good. Many rogues and traitors, drawn from the other factions, have also sworn allegiance to him, and have betrayed their nations. And who knows what else? His arm has grown long in recent years. His armies now number hundreds and hundreds. The Dark Fortress is being rebuilt. The Vladmask is slowly being reforged. Vermicus is getting stronger every second. Soon, he will launch an assault upon all of Dametreos."

"How do you know this!?" Viktor demanded.

"I've seen it."

"Won't the Classics stop him?" Storm asked.

"No," Soelsstorn replied. "They won't. Because by the time they learn of him, he will have grown too powerful for the Emperor to deal with. No, it's up to us."

Solesstorn lifted his head. “That is why I’ve returned. To make things right. I’m going to bring Vermicus down and his Fortress around with him! I failed my task last time. I will not do so again. Other evils may come, yes. But as a wise man once stated: It is not our part to master all the tides of the world, but to do what is in us for the succour of those years wherein we are set, uprooting the evil in the fields we know, so that those who live after may have clean earth to till. What weather they shall have is not ours to rule.

"We must head into Ankoria and recover the Shield of Ages from the abandoned Citadel of Orlan, so that we can destroy Vermicus, once and for all."

"That's the most tyco cliche thing I've ever heard." Viktor replied.

"He's right." Santis added.

"True," said Solesstorn. "But it's what we must do. You all have a part to play in the coming battle. I only know Jaythus's part, that he has to be there when the Vladmask is destroyed."

"But...why me?" the young Easterner asked.

Solesstorn groaned. "Now who's being cliche? How the tyco should I know 'why you'? It's your destiny, that's all. There has to be a young man at the right moment, and Orlan was that man, all those years ago. At first, I thought it would be Jayko Falconensis who would fill that role. But he declined that duty, and so I know now that it's you."

Solesstorn looked around the table. "Any questions?"
Lord_Of_The_LEGO
Earl of Wells

Post by Lord_Of_The_LEGO »

Sir Kohran wrote:Solesstorn looked around the table. "Any questions?"
Date: August 19, 2005

“Oh, yeah…” said Viktor at once, “Do you really expect us to believe that load of tripe?”

Solesstorn looked hard at Viktor.

“You say I lie?”

“I say I find such a tale hard to swallow.” said Viktor, somewhat brutishly, “A fine tale for the bards, to be sure. A fine tale to entertain the lords ladies of the court. But I am not one of those. I’m a soldier. And I find that all hard to swallow.”

Solesstorn’s eyes were now burning. Viktor went on, “You are the brother of Orlan. Pshaw. BloodVaine was your nephew. Uh-huh. And now, look at us: a motley bunch of companions who have just been informed that the fate of Dametreos rests in our incompetent hands. You, the wise but useless leader. Jaythus, the farm boy Chosen One. Storm, the warrior princess. Santis, the strong brute. Me, the psychotic, wise-cracking sidekick. And Mikellen, the quiet companion.”

Viktor burst out laughing.

“By the Wooden Duck, free me from this sorry tale!”

“I think he’s tired.” said Santis quickly, “And drunk.”

“It is late.” said Storm, “We should all get to bed…”

Fuming, Solesstorn left the room. Jaythus, dazed, scurried after him. Slowly, Storm and Mikellen left as well.

“Honestly, Vik, you don’t know when to shut your mouth.” said Santis, pulling off a boot.

“Nor does that wizard.” snapped Viktor, also undoing his footwear, “You know it’s nearly dawn.”

“Well, at least he explained why we’re here.”

“Yeah right. And where we’re going. Wonderful.”

“Hey! You said you wanted an adventure!”

“I don’t want to be battling the next Supreme Evil Overlord and his Legions Of Terror!”

“Do you have anything better to do?”

Viktor paused.

“Tyco. I guess not.”

“Then will you come along.”

“You’re going along with this mad scheme?” snorted Viktor.

Santis nodded.

“To protect Jaythus.”

“Well, fine then. Since I have nothing better to do…”
In the process of converting to [url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/nathanwells/]Flickr[/url].
Maedhros
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Maedhros »

Grid: E-13

"I think he´ll be alright", Swift said lowly as he stood up. He had taken care of Yukimoto all day since Toratsugu and the others had come by dawn. The sun was setting now and it was getting dark.

"Thank you, Swift of the Wolfpack. I owe you my life", Toratsugu said. "He would have died were it not for you."

"It´s nothing... that was just Hearth Wisdom from my home. Anyone could have done it."

"It appears we often underestimate foreigners. Now I would like to have a word with you alone if you don´t mind."

"No problem", Swift said and began walking away from the shore where the ship was.

It was a cold night but the weather was clear and no clouds blocked the stars. When they were about 80 yards away from the ship Toratsugu opened his mouth to speak but then he saw a faint light from the shore.

"I told them not to light any fires", he said. Swift gazed at him.

"Why not?"

"That was what I wanted to talk to you about, but I have to do something about that first."

Toratsugu suddenly began to run quickly towards the ship. Even Swift was surprised byt the speed of the old man but he had no trouble keeping up.

"Put out the fire!" Toratsugu shouted fiercely to the shinobi who had lit a small fire on the shore. He looked up worriedly at Toratsugu but before he could speak a terribly high-pitched shriek was heard from the fire and the next moment a nagamaki severed his legs from his torso.

"Angel..."

The fire died and Angel stood where it had been with his bloody nagamaki in hand.

"There´s the demon. At last... face your Angel of Death."

Swift suddenly fell down with a searing pain in hs chest. Something stirred within and he fought with his whole being to keep it away. But the pain... the pain... it was worse than anything he had imagined. The stranger came closer...

Then there was a high-pitched cry of agony and Swift´s pain stopped abruptly. He looked up and saw blood flowing from a deep wound in one of the wings. A few yards away Toratsugu was crouching with a bloody kyoketsu shoge in one hand.

Like a gust of wind he leaped forward and landed a few yards away on the other side of Angel and wrapped the long chain around him. Angel shouted in anger but was dragged down by the chain and fell before he could react. And as fast as the wind Toratsugu was upon him with the blade of the kyoketsu shoge raised. Swift had also drawn a sword and prepared to enter the fight. But before he had done it three other shinobi had jumped down from the ship and landed gracefully beside Toratsugu and Angel.

It was Hidemitsu with a naginata in hand and two others called Yasunaka and Shigetoshi with katanas in hand. As one the three shinobi and Swift entered the fray and their blades landed on Angel who cried out in pain again. Swift raised his sword to cut again but before he could do it he felt a terrible pain in his chest and was thrown backwards.

"Stay out of this, Swift", Toratsugu said and lowered his elbow. Then Megabloks broke out...

A long tounge of flame erupted from Angel and wrapped itself around Toratsugu. At the same moment Angel rose and cut at Shigetoshi with his nagamaki. Shigetoshi tried to block but his katana broke and the nagamaki slashed open a deep wound in his leg. Shouting he fell backwards. The wounds on Angel´s body had closed and he rose higher and higher until he was about nine feet above them. The tounge of flame followed and dragged Toratsugu upwards. His body was on fire but not a single sound escaped him.

"Let him down, you filthy intellabrix!" Hidemitsu shouted and threw a shuriken at Angel´s face. For a short moment the flames around Toratsugu seemed to lose him and the ring and chain from his kyokoetsu shoge flew out and wrapped themselves around Angel.

The flames wrapped themselves tighter around Toratsugu but he dragged Angel closer to him with the kyoketsu shoge and Angel caught fire as well. With a shriek he let Toratsugu down and Toratsugu gracefully landed on the ground. He was wounded but he seemed to be ok.

Moments later Angel landed beside him and his nagamaki cleaved the air only inches away from him.
Yasunaka and Hidemitsu jumped at him immediately. Yasunaka was blocked but Hidemitsu cut off one arm with his naginata. Toratsugu threw the chain at Angel again and immobilized him with it. Yasunaka raised the katana again and aimed for the neck.

"May the Sun have mercy with you, monster", he said and cut.

But faster than the eye Angel had burst the chains and jumped away. Yasunaka missed him by feet and had no time to block the nagamaki. A look of confusion was etched in his face as his head was severed from his body.

Hidemitsu cried out in sorrow and stabbed at Angel with his naginata but his anger made his attack to obvious and Angel had no trouble dodging it. But Toratsugu´s cut with the blade of the kyoketsu shoge caught him off-balance and he fell. Hidemitsu didn´t waste the time needed to raise the naginata again so he simply dropped it and kicked him in the face where he lay. A cracking sound was heard but he didn´t stop. He grabbed Hidemitsu´s leg and threw him down with unnatural strength.

But then the blade of Hidemitsu´s naginata was buried deep in his chest and nailed him to the ground. Toratsugu let go of the naginata and drew a dagger.

"It´s time to finish this, Angel", he said and kneeled beside him with the dagger aimed for his neck.

For the first time he could distinguish two eyes in Angel´s face. They flashed a crimson colour and a dry chuckle was heard.

"Indeed, Toratsugu... it is..."

Then Toratsugu cut with the dagger and slashed open Angel´s neck. Blood gushed from the wound and Angel hissed.

"Fool..."

The blood gushed over all of Toratsugu´s body but suddenly it all caught fire and Toratsugu was wrapped up in searing scarlet flames. Toratsugu shouted out in agony in a terrible chorus with Angel.

Hidemitsu had got up and dashed towards Toratsugu but a ring of fire surrounded him and Angel. Angel raised up and once again his wounds closed. He stopped shouting and instead a high hiss came from him and merged with Toratsugu´s shouts.

And then, suddenly both of them were gone and only a pile of ash and a black winged cross remained. Hidemitsu stared in disbelief at the ash and didn´t move. Swift carefully moved forward but then loud shouts were heard from the ships and two more shinobi jumped down. Both had katanas and ran towards Swift.

"It´s his fault, he shall pay", one of them shouted. But before they came close enough to attack Hidemitsu stood in the way and pointed at them with Yasunaka´s katana.

"Do not touch the Wolfpack. Both I and Yukimoto owe him our lives. And Toratsugu Sensei died for him, doesn´t that mean anything to you?" Hidemitsu said. The two shinobi stopped dumbfounded and looked at each other. "Take care of Shigetoshi instead", he said and nodded to the bleeding shinobi.

"You have no right to command us, Hidemitsu. You´re younger than both of us."

"I said: Take care of Shigetoshi", he hissed. Then he let out a loud shout and one of them fell backwards. "I don´t want to hurt you."

Both of them stared in horror at Hidemitsu. "At your age", one of them whispered.

"Age isn´t everything, now do as I say!"

The two shinobi nodded and went to Shigetoshi to take care of his bleeding leg and left Hidemitsu who turned to Swift. Hidemitsu´s eyes were red and full of tears.

"Leave us, Swift, before that thing comes back."

Swift met Hidemitsu´s gaze for a long time but finally he was forced to lower his eyes.

"Know you this, Wolfpack; you are the wicked part of our party. I don´t know what´s wrong with you but Toratsugu Sensei sensed something. Still he died for you. So don´t go and get yourself killed. I don´t want Toratsugu Sensei to have died in vain. You have some part to play, it´s not here, it´s not now but sometime I hope you will repay Toratsugu Sensei. Now leave!"

Swift bowed. "Thank you, I hope we´ll meet again under better circumstances."

"Something tells me we will, now just go!"

Swift turned without another word and disappeared in the darkness. Hidemitsu sighed deeply, fell down on his knees and buried his face in his hands.
Last edited by Maedhros on Tue Nov 29, 2005 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Hinc satis elucet maiorem habere uim ad discenda ista liberam curiositatem quam meticulosam necessitatem.”
- Augustinus Hipponensis
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

Grid: P-10
Lord_Of_The_LEGO wrote:“Greetings. I’m Dale, and this is Alice.”

“’Ternoon.” said Adrian, taking Dale’s proffered hand, “I’m Adrian and this is Hans and Cate.”
"And what brings you young people to Hemmerington?" asked Dale. "We don't get many visitors here."

"We're on our way to the coast," said Hans, "we're on a sort of a quest, and we need to get to Striastrakahn on the Wolfpack mainland."

"I think you may have taken a wrong turn," said Alice, "since the main road, the one that you arrived on, runs north and south, whereas you should have been travelling west."

"I told you we took a wrong turn at the pitchfork," said Adrian to Hans.

"Yeah, well, Cate agreed with me," said Hans.

"Did not," said Cate. "I said to just pick one and get it over with, and Adrian gave up."

"So it's your fault!" said Hans.

"I was still right, and you were still wrong," said Adrian.

"Anyway," said Cate, a bit loudly, "how do we get to the coast from here?"

"Well," said Alice, "the shortest way is the track that leads to the west of here, and then up the coastline to the port. But it's not a good road at all, and at this time of year... well, there's no accomodations or people living along there, so if you have a problem, no one will come to help."

"On the other hand," said Dale, "it's a lot shorter than retracing your steps back to the pitchfork, and then taking the other turn."

"Just how bad is the shorter way?" asked Cate.

"It'll be all right until the snow flies," said Alice, "but that could be any day now. And Old Gherry says that it's going to be a three foot dump when we do get it."

"You know," said Adrian, "we aren't all that far north of Orion, but you'd never see snow like that in Orion."

"We did last year," said Hans.

"Okay, ignoring that."

"It's the currents in the Fell Sea," said Hans, "they come from the north, and keep the Fell Isle a lot colder in the winter. Weather here is a lot more like Drullen Bell than Orion."

"Well, it'll still be warmer than Tols, I bet," said Adrian.

"So which way are we going to go?" asked Cate.

"Erm... I'm not making any more decisions today about roads," said Hans.

"And I'm going to defer to the greater wisdom that obviously comes with your greater beauty," said Adrian.

"Flatterer," said Cate.

"I know who's in charge of this expedition," said Adrian, "and it's not me or Hans."

Cate bit her lip.

"Okay, we'll go the short way," she said. "We could do it in a day, right?"

"Since you're mounted, then yes," said Alice.

"Good," said Hans. "Now we only have to hope it doesn't snow tomorrow."
The Green Knight
Reeve

Post by The Green Knight »

Grid: B-26
OOS
...We’ll get through it alright though. Before long, Thenais, you’ll be standing on the banks of the invisible island.”
A feeling of anticipation began to grow in Thenais. He was almost there. Almost to the place he had been told held answers to his oldest questions. But then, another thought struck him. “Iirick,” he whispered. “If the island’s invisible how come I can’t see it?”

Iirick chuckled. “None of us can, Thenais. The island is different. Everything inside the ring of stones is both visible and invisible at once. Meaning it can be seen with both sets of eyes, but only once you’re inside the stones. It’s like a giant dome or a bowl, covering the whole thing. You can’t see what’s under the bowl until you’re underneath it yourself.”

“I see.” Said Thenais, not sure if he really did. “But why is it different?”

“Well it had to be.” Iirick said as if it were completely obvious. "When a man of valor bestows his gift onto his son, he not only looses his ability to become invisible, but also his special eyesight.”

“You mean, he becomes like a regular man?”

Iirick nodded. “That’s why the island must be visible inside as well as invisible.”

“But…I mean, it is invisible then, right? I mean, when we go through the stones I’ll be able to see it won’t I?”

“Steady as she goes!” Iirick had been about to answer when Hullin had interrupted with his orders. “Iirick, I’m going to need your help here.”

“What’s going on?” Thenais asked.

“We’ve come to the stones. I must help Hullin guide us through.”

Soon Thenais found himself alone in the prow of the boat. He could hear Hullin barking orders over the sound of waves breaking near by. Now the noise grew louder as Thenais felt the ship gain speed. Louder and louder still until he couldn’t hear Hullin. Then the small vessel rose on a wave and with a blast of spray, passed over the ring of stones. In that instant the veil was lifted for Thenais and he thought he would be blinded once again. It was like stepping from darkness, through a curtain, into the blazing sunlight. Spreading out before Thenais, a great green island with high mountains, rolling hills and a wide bay before them.

Thenais could see it. He could actually see it. And what was more, he remembered. Thenais remembered everything.
Let us stop for a moment and ponder the signiture...

Ok, enough of that!
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

Grid: E-7
Formendacil wrote:Sir Dractor smiled to himself, and just as silently as he had come, he went back to his bedroom to do some pre-breakfast exercises.
Thomas looked rather more tired than usual at breakfast that morning, William Jorgenson thought, if in exceptionally good spirits. Merina was still in her room, awake apparently, but taking her time preparing for the day. Estella was keeping watch. Meanwhile, the men were planning their day.

"We should probably dispose of those bodies today," said Sir Yves. "No need to start an epidemic."

"No need indeed," said Sir Dractor. "And while we're visiting the graveyard and burial people, I want to hunt up a carriage and horses. Once the Valentis are buried, there's no reason to remain in Iadoraz."

"Unless Merina's not well enough to travel," said Sir Yves. "If she gets worse, even the carriage may be too much."

"So far there's no worsening," agreed Sir Dractor, "but you're right. If anything should change for the worst, we're going to have to wait. Meanwhile, I think I'm going to be the one to go uptown, and I'll take William with me. It is probably best if Estella stays out of sight. Thomas and Sir Yves should stay here as well- just in case."

Sir Dractor thought he saw a flicker of pleasure in his squire's smile.

After breakfast, Sir Dractor strapped on his armour, grabbed his sword, and went into the streets with William, in search of the graveyard and a carriage.

Not too long after, Merina came to the kitchen for a light breakfast, and found Thomas still eating. As soon as Estella saw the other girl eating and conversing with him, she left the room huffily, and Thomas didn't see her for most of the day. Sir Yves stayed in the kitchen for a while, but soon headed off to other parts of the house, doing small tasks that had fallen by the wayside, leaving Thomas and Merina alone.

Over the course of their wide-ranging conversations, Merina learned of Sir Dractor's plans.

"He wants me to leave Iadoraz, and go with you," she said, taking it in.

"He thinks it best," said Thomas. "You wouldn't be safe in this city on your own."

"No, I suppose not," agreed Merina. "And I never did care for it. Coming here was my father's decision, and not really anyone else's. But it will still be hard to leave them behind. I've never been alone like this before."

"I can promise you, Merina," said Thomas, "that we won't leave you alone completely, unless you're good and ready for it."

"Thank you," she smiled. "But you can never replace my family."

Thomas nodded sadly.

"And I wouldn't try."
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

Grid: G-10

The newly-rebuilt capital fortress of Dragonar was in an uproar. Commander-General Japheth Dragonsbane had betrayed his close friend and king, and the rumour had it that King Ajaxx had ordered his death. Shortly after the mysterious battle that had seen the illegal use of magic right under the King's nose, Ajaxx met with Captain Oris Del Grakken, who's men had aided him in battle.

"I be pleased that ye and ye men did not join in the traitor's attempt to oust me," said Ajaxx. "Had I died, Dragonar would have been thrown into civil war, a war in which ye might well have seen ye forturnes rise."

"Of course, Your Majesty," said Del Grakken.

"On the other hand," said Ajaxx, "I be also thinking that ye could have been working merely to acquire my favour, not thinking that ye time be right."

"Could it not be both, sire?" asked Del Grakken. "I know I am not strong enough to be King yet, and I bear you no ill will in the meantime. I have not hidden my ambitions, but neither have I betrayed you, unlike this Japheth Dragonsbane, who has hidden his treachery, while pretending aid you. At least I am honest."

"Ye may be," said Ajaxx. "Ye may be. If naught else, I do be inclined to grant ye permission to rebuild ye regiment- if ye will swear allegiance to me, as ye king. I be willing to make ye as powerful under my rule as Caimlin was under Void."

"As powerful as Japheth was under you?" said Del Grakken, the gleam of the Dragonsbane helm in his eye.

"Not so powerful," said Ajaxx. "I be taking the Dragonsbane name back to myself. I shall be both King and Dragonsbane. Will ye swear loyalty?"

"I, Oris Del Grakken, former servant of the man known as the Sorceror-king, do herewith swear fealty to Ajaxx Dragonsbane, King of Dragonar, for as long as he shall live," swore Del Grakken without hesitation.

"I note that ye say nothing about loyalty to my heirs," said Ajaxx sharply.

"You know my ambitions," said Del Grakken. "I may serve you loyally, but after your death I shall serve myself."

"Woe to ye if ye be the one who brings about that death," warned Ajaxx. "In the meantime, I be appointing ye Brigadier-General of the Armies of Dragonar. I be giving ye permission to rebuild ye regiment, which may fly ye colours as ye personal command."

Ajaxx then turned to a matter that pressed more on his mind.

"We must find where Japheth and Elbadar be," he said. "I be wanting revenge for this betrayal."
Lord_Of_The_LEGO
Earl of Wells

Formendacil wrote:"Good," said Hans. "Now we only have to hope it doesn't snow tomorrow."
Grid: P-10

"Oh tyco."

It was the next morning. The Trio had spent the night in a local woman's home, Mistress Korvalt, who rented out to guests for extra money. Hans was at the window, his nose press against the rapidly steaming glass. Adrian sat up groggily.

"What?"

"I hate it when my words are prophetic."

Adrian yawned.

"Most people would kill for such a power. It's not a bad gift, I admit, but I don't recall you having it."

"Apparently I do. Look."

Adrian, grumbling, got out of bed and shuffled to the window, shivering as his feet touched the chilly floorboards. He peered out the window.

“Oh great.”

At that moment, Cate burst into the room, clothed in a comely nightgown.

“Boys!” she cried, “Have you seen the snow!?”

“Cate!” Hans groaned, very conscious of his near-nudity, and dived back under his covers. Adrian, too, pulled a bed sheet off the bed and wrapped it around himself, more out of need of warmth than modesty.

“Oh Hans.” sighed Cate, then said, “It’s gotta be three feet out there.”

“Wonderful,” said Hans in a muffled tone as he pulled on a shirt, “Just dandy.”

“Three feet?” said Adrian, “Overnight?”

“Yup.”

“So tell me,” said Hans, now pulling on pants, “Is it even possibly to get outside?”

Cate nodded.

“That Kevin and a few other fellows are clearing it now. We won’t have any trouble.”

“Until we leave Hemmerington.”

“Yes…”

Hans was still grumbling.

“Megablocks snow…”

“It won’t be that bad.” said Adrian, “I’ve trekked through snow all my life.”

“Of course you have, Mr. Crusader-in-an-igloo.” said Cate, “Us Classics are much less used to the stuff.”

“You’ll learn quick.” Adrian assured her, “Trust me, you will.”

“I suppose.” said Cate. Her face brightened.

“Come! Mistress Korvalt’s breakfast is ready. Hurry up and get dressed!”

“I’m done!” said Hans, leaping over his bed and joining Cate, “Seeya down there.”

“I’ll be there in a minute.” said Adrian, “Fend off those three Korvalt boys from Cate for me, will you?”

Adrian chuckled and Cate laughed. Hans smiled and said, “Will do.”
In the process of converting to [url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/nathanwells/]Flickr[/url].
Lord_Of_The_LEGO
Earl of Wells

Lord_Of_The_LEGO wrote:“You’re going along with this mad scheme?” snorted Viktor.

Santis nodded.

“To protect Jaythus.”

“Well, fine then. Since I have nothing better to do…”
Date: August 20, 2005

The next morning, the six persons met in at the bar in the Dancing Tom Cat Inn for breakfast.

“So,” said Solesstorn, “Are we agreed? Shall we go as, ah, “a motley bunch of companions”, as Viktor so eloquently put it, and battle against Vermicus and his minions?”

“Yes.” said Jaythus, breathless.

“I will go.” said Santis.

Viktor muttered, “Yup.”

Storm said, “Mikellen and I have discussed it and we will accompany you on this journey.”

Solesstorn nodded.

“Very good. Then let us eat and then be off.”

“Barring the obvious answer of Ankoria, where are we going?” said Viktor.

“To the isle of Solitaire.” said Solesstorn grandly.

Storm looked up. Santis raised his eyebrows. Viktor said, “What?”

“It’s a small island literally on the edge of Dametreos.” explained Solesstorn, “I mean the very, very edge. There’s a Shadow Knight base there.”

“How long will it take to get to this Solitaire?” demanded Viktor.

Solesstorn shrugged.

“One, two months.”

“Wonderful.” grunted Viktor.

Grid: S-1
Date: November 30, 2005 (All caught up! That was easy!)

Viktor stared at he island in front of them.

“That was a TYCO long two months!” he said loudly, “I megablocks loathe the builtit sea!”

“Even I couldn’t have predicted those storms.” snapped Solesstorn, “Nor those pirates.”

“Obviously.” said Viktor, “Looks like I’ll be spending my Yuletide holiday on some Chodan-forsaken spit of land with no beer and you measly bunch as company!”

“I take offence to that!’ said Storm as Viktor stumped off.

“Boats make him emotional.” said Santis quietly in explanation, "Take no heed of him."
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

Grid: E-7
Formendacil wrote:After breakfast, Sir Dractor strapped on his armour, grabbed his sword, and went into the streets with William, in search of the graveyard and a carriage.
The Valentis were buried privately, with small ceremony, only Merina and her guest rescuers standing present as their unadorned bodies were buried in the more upscale Iadoraz graveyard. Sir Dractor had been very careful to see that they were buried in simple clothes, and nothing else, so as to be sure that none of the less savoury denizens of Iadoraz would have cause to dig up their bodies.

The following morning, having spent two nights in Merina's home, the carriage Sir Dractor and William had purchased was delivered to the manor together with horses.

"I'm afraid that you're going to have to leave this house," said Sir Dractor to Merina, "and forget it as a failed investment. Gather anything you wish to take with you, and Thomas and William will see to carting it around. Don't strain yourself." Merina smiled wryly. Sir Dractor's main message since meeting her had been to take it easy.

Still, it seemed that caution regarding her condition was still called for. Even the business of going around her home and pointing out everything that needed to be removed was enough to tire her, and come evening she was sent to be early, coughing.

Most of what Merina decided to take was clothing. Only a few family heirlooms, including her brother's sword, and the family stash of gold, were included as well. It was a shame, Thomas thought, to leave behind an entire furnished manor to as prey to the thieves and brigands of Iadoraz, but there was no alternative.

Thinking over this, as he sat in that hall on one of the three trunks that needed to be loaded aboard the carriage the following morning, Thomas toyed with his hammer, the only tangible heirloom he had of his grandfather. He ran his hand over the heavy iron head, heavy and somewhat pitted from the pounding of many blades.

Then he pulled out his own blade, one of the last swords his grandfather had made. It's fine, silvery lines were in marked contrast to the roughhewn iron of the hammer. They marked the ends of his life, he thought. The hammer was where he came from, the tool and memory of the grandfather who had forged his personality. The sword was the tool of his future as Sir Dractor's pupil, of his life as a warrior, and yet it was tied to the hammer, which had beaten it in the forging, just as he was tied to his past.

Thomas sighed. His past was behind him and he was content with his future. But he did miss Hemmerington at times. By now the villagers would already be anticipating Yuletide. The Korvalt boys would already have picked out a tree for the Pu', although that particular Forestdweller decoration of the season would not be chopped down and moved for another couple weeks. Snow would probably have fallen in the village, and with the harvest done, and the wood stocked up for the winter, the villagers would have settled back for their most leisurely season.

"Thomas?" Estella's voice broke into his thoughts. "Are you all right? You didn't hear me the first time."

"Sorry," said Thomas. "What was it?"

"Sir Dractor said to tell you that he's giving you the last shift tonight," said Estella. "What was troubling you?"

"Just the future," said Thomas evasively. Estella was not exactly easy to open up to. "I'm missing my home, and I've really got no idea where I'm going to end up. I was just thinking about things like that."

"I know what you mean," said Estella. "I miss my father and Emberlain Castle, but I no longer worry about my future. I am going to Orion to marry a Cavalier! I just wish we didn't have to delay in Drullen Bell! Honestly, there's nothing wrong with that girl that a good sleep would cure. I think Sir Dractor's being over-protective. Do you think he fancies her?"

Thomas' eyes bulged, and he had to resist the overwhelming temptation to burst out in laughter.

"No," he said. "He's only be fatherly. And I agree with him. There seems to be more to this illness than meets the eye."

"Well, anyway," said Estella, rising suddenly. "I'm going to bed. I'll see you tomorrow." And she walked away before he said another word.
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

Grid: Q-18

Vækadær was well-pleased, even if Thorgeir was not. The Jarl had been escorted to Envika Sorgodh following the successful completion of a raid into the Eastern Knight's Kingdom, that had taught Vækadær's enemies a valuable lesson, and had been quite profitable in terms of booty. Most of the booty, and all the captives were left with the Vikings, but Vækadær had taken a small portion for himself, while summoning Thorgeir to Envika Sorgodh to properly impress him with the power of his protector.

As yet, Thorgeir had seen only a few vessels, fishing villages, and the wilds of Dametreos. Envika Sorgodh, an impressive castle under any circumstance, was thus doubly impressive to the newcomer for whom it was the first major structure he had seen yet in Dametreos.

"You like it?" said Vækadær. "Impressive, is it not. Still, it is nothing compared with great cities such as Orion or Gynthaunt."

Thorgeir nodded grimly.

"Now," said Vækadær. "I'll have the servants escort you to your room, and assist you with anything you need. We will discuss your next attack tomorrow."

Leaving a somewhat disgruntled Thorgeir to be led away by one of his servants, Vækadær sought out his crystal ball, and contacted Andrei Bartavlo.

"Is there any news regarding the Valenti family?" he asked.

"Our reports from Iadoraz say that the Valenti family is dead and buried," replied Bartavlo. "We have yet to send in an independent observer to ascertain the complete validity of the report."

"You may dispense with that," said Vækadær. "I do not believe that any of them could have lived with the combination of the illness and poison. I will be sending Drazzuil back to Hemmerington, to look for those papers again, or to pick up the trail of Thomas Valt at least. In the meantime, I will be going to Filurius, now that the Valentis are at last removed. You will be in command."

"Yes, milord," repled Bartavlo.
Lord_Of_The_LEGO
Earl of Wells

The Classic-Castle Roleplay is continued in this thread.