The Wordsmyth's Hall of Fame

LEGO gaming, including group role playing games
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

The Wordsmyth's Hall of Fame

Post by Formendacil »

The Classic-Castle Roleplay has, among its members, spawned more than a few discussion threads in its time, including two "Best Of" threads: What's Your Favourite Epic? and Share Your Favourite Moment.

Both of these threads contain some fun observations, and I encourage any additions to them that you may have, but I wish to start yet a third thread on the subject, but this one pertaining to a slightly different subject.

We have dealt, in "Best of" threads, with the characters/events of the Roleplay and with the Epics of the Roleplay. The topic that I wish to highlight here is the bridge between the two.

I wish here to highlight the Posts themselves. I want to start a collection here of the posts that YOU think were the best written, the most finely crafted, the most impressive in the cadences of their plot.

For the moment, I shall only highlight posts of my own. (Yes, you are allowed to be egotistic and highlight your own.)

In a moment, I'll start a new post, and bore you to death with my self-serving praise, but I first want to invite you to share which posts have inspired you, moved you, or just plain satisfied you! They can be your own, or those of others. Although I'm only doing my own tonight, there are several posts by others that I want to highlight, and I'll get on to those next.

In the meantime, I declare the Wordsmyth's Hall of Fame open to nominations!

~Michael A. Joosten - Gaming Moderator~
Last edited by Formendacil on Thu Dec 01, 2005 6:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

First off, I'm nominating this post and this post, which follows immediately after. These two dream/flashback posts during the Lone Star Chronicles' climax were immensely fun to write, and were somewhat inspired in that they forced the characters (in this case Sir Dractor's Point of View) to see a terrible memory and a terrible fear.

Not too long after came this post, at the long-awaited climax of the Wizardsbane quest. What's more, I think the tension and drama of the conflict between Elbadar and Quorandis, with Elwen caught inbetween, is some of the finest writing I've done. I'm really proud of this one, possibly more than any other. The next post, here, that deals with Elbadar is also a gem of the same sort. Here, Elbadar decides to follow his conscience rather than his honour, and we see the conflict between him and the Sorceror-king, as well as the dramatic arrival of Sir Dractor at the end.

It's only natural that amid the plethora of posts that took place at the Great Ball in Orion, at least one should have stood out in my memory. This one is, evilly enough, the post of Sir Dractor's getting sick. It starts off, innocently enough, with conversation between Radjar and Fraun. I had fun with these old stalwarts, perhaps writing a little tongue-in-cheek. I apologise to them for subjecting them to a shower of vomit, but I needed targets and they were handy.

As a post, this one went really close to the way I wanted, and was both plot-furthering and entertaining at the same time. I was, and am, quite pleased with it.

Another post that I really had fun with was this one. One of my few posts that plays absolutely no role in an ongoing plot, this was just a fun character-fest tied into Nathan's Dale-plot in my beloved village of Hemmerington. The plot rests on the characterization of the wonderfully human Hemmeringtoners, and this post got it just right, I felt.

The last post of my own that I wish to highlight right now is a very recent one, and here it is. It is, in fact, the post that got me started on the idea for this topic.

I've been planning the meeting of Merina and Sir Dractor and Thomas for a LONG time, and this post turned out magnificently. Now, I obviously don't set out to write garbagey posts, but this one was better than I had planned or hoped for, and I think it worthy of a seat in my new hall of fame.
TheOrk
Master

Post by TheOrk »

This looks like a really interesting topic here. Besides my own posts, the posts of other members I would nominate are pretty much half of the posts up above. The rest would include that one by Maedhros in which Radu gets bitten by Ioan, I can't seem to find a link to it. Also, I'd say any post by Anthony Sava are well written. :wink:

The first of my own two that I would nominate is one of the very first from last September. The one in which Valric and the other five members are travelling along the road and a column of soldiers loyal to Pythos comes along. A group of soldiers loyal to Belzzar ambushes them and they're all killed. If I can remember correctly, Formendacil even makes a comment on that one and a post by Anthony Sava.(That one was also pretty good)

viewtopic.php?p=67042#67042

The second I will nominate, is the second half of the big post I wrote for the climactic battle at Castle Dracul. To sum up the events, Pythos's megablox warriors get in a battle with both groups of Fright Knights and the little group of heroes. Then Venvorskar comes out of nowhere and gets in a three way duel with Pythos and Belzzar.

viewtopic.php?p=70314#70314

:wink:
Maedhros
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Maedhros »

Interesting.... I think I´ll begin by pumping up my own ego a bit too...

I think all the posts I made on this page are the ones I´m most satisfied with. I don´t know what to say really, I just liked the mood I think.
"Hinc satis elucet maiorem habere uim ad discenda ista liberam curiositatem quam meticulosam necessitatem.”
- Augustinus Hipponensis
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

Well....

a long time ago I promised to return and highlight a few other post favourites- by other RPers. So allow me to do that.

I have to say, to start, that I think my favourite RPer, when he's around, has to be the "clumpy" Micah Berger, our very own Green Knight. His style of writing is immensely engageable, very entertaining, and humourous in a very gentle, understated- yet profoundly important to the plot- way.

I could nominate everything that he's written, but the cream of the crop is this post. It was the massive, climaxial (if I may invent a term) post that pretty muched closed the Walf's Adventure plot- with spectacular fanfare.

Another good old Roleplayer who's posts I would like to nominate is Jack Craft. Like Micah, he had a highly readable style, very enjoyable- and also highly idiosyncratic. Jack dropped off the face of Dametreos over a year ago, with the BloodVaine campaign drawing to its conclusion, and hasn't been heard from since. However, his memory lives on in his excellent writing, and I want to highlight one post in particular that seems to stand out in my mind... and here it is. In this post, we get to see Jack Craft and Lord Void- two entirely different characters, have a conversation that for us, is most amusing, and even insightful.

And, as a side note, I still find Jack's signature quite amusing, for some reason...

The third Roleplayer that I want to highly tonight is another superb writer. He joined the Roleplay for a more-or-less finite term, with a specific plot in mind, and has now withdrawn again from involvement in these hallowed halls, but while he was here, what writing he put out...

I am speaking, of course, of the Great Admin Himself, the one and only Anthony Sava, known throughout AFOLdom for the Chronicles of Ikros, but known to us herein for the tales of his Wanderer. As with all his literary writing, Tony's tale here was well-written, but one post stands out in my mind as mind-blowing. And here it is. Overall, it's an excellent post, but any fan of Ikros would have been totally blown away by the revelation at the bottom. Here is the perfect blend of Tony's teaser and authorial abilities put to stunning use.

There are many other great posts out there, and other great writers, but that's it for now. I'll try and highlight a few more in the future- especially our long-serving and oldest surviving member Admin, Nathan Wells, who has oft times been my partner in mischief. I know that a couple of posts from our zany Trio plot is deserving of recognition.
Lord_Of_The_LEGO
Earl of Wells

Post by Lord_Of_The_LEGO »

Time for me to add to this thread.

Right now I want to highlight Mike's most recent snowball fight post:

viewtopic.php?p=77781#77781

Anything with Bjarn, Sir Dractor, Gonderin, Thomas and the Trio totally rocks. 8)
In the process of converting to [url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/nathanwells/]Flickr[/url].
TheOrk
Master

Post by TheOrk »

I have to say, that snowball fight was pretty funny for some reason. I guess it's just the fact that pouring a bucket load of snow down someone's back is awsome.

:wink:
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

Well, I'm not quite up to digging up a ton of old and good posts from our favoured Admin, but his most recent one tickled the funny bone just right and is the perfect example of the Trioesque Humour that I simply have to highlight it:

And here it is.

By now I'm sure that most of you (since most of you liable to read this are RPers) are familiar with the brand of humour that is the Trio.

Unlike any previous plot, this one sets out deliberately to be less than serious. Yes it is a serious quest, but the protagonists are three somewhat hapless teens and their adversaries are the weather, border guards, and grumpy archivists, or, most likely, themselves.

By now the reader will be familiar with the Trio's idiosyncrasies. Neither Hans nor Adrian (who are the satirized and much picked-on versions of our Admin and Yours Truly) are particularly brave, world-wise, or romantic, although they would probably like to be. Cate, the one who exhibits the most of these qualities, is hampered by her two lackeys- as well as her own lack of certain worldwise knowledge.

However, I'm turning what is supposed to be a simple post highlight and not an essay on the Trio, so I'll skip to the post...

This post that I've linked to, Nathan's latest offering, is probably the most superb example of Trio humour since the Great Ball in Orion. Which isn't surprised considering that that is where the Trio, and their humour, first came into the Roleplay.

To sum up: Awesome Post, Nathan! :!: 8) :!: