Classic Castle Roleplay Planning February 2006

LEGO gaming, including group role playing games
Maedhros
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Maedhros »

I´m not surprised this happened... I felt something along these lines would occur sooner or later.

The things is; I think Dametreos has no more tales to tell. We have the MNPC rules that restrict the big epic stories and on top of that all factions have been totally fleshed out... You can´t really write new things any longer, you can only follow the rules set by someone else...

I don´t thinik that´s the only reason but I think it could be one of the reasons...
"Hinc satis elucet maiorem habere uim ad discenda ista liberam curiositatem quam meticulosam necessitatem.”
- Augustinus Hipponensis
Sir Kohran
Sheriff

Post by Sir Kohran »

Maedhros wrote:I´m not surprised this happened... I felt something along these lines would occur sooner or later.

The things is; I think Dametreos has no more tales to tell. We have the MNPC rules that restrict the big epic stories and on top of that all factions have been totally fleshed out... You can´t really write new things any longer, you can only follow the rules set by someone else...

I don´t thinik that´s the only reason but I think it could be one of the reasons...
Yes...I think Suvied sums it up well here...
Suvied wrote:As far as actual plot, there is nothing new you can do. A new way to present it or a more varied design but it ill still end up being a different version or patchwork of sroties before it. You might have an underdog, a love triangle, a rivalry, an evil overlord bent on world domination or any other idea but they all have been done before.
- Matt
Lord_Of_The_LEGO
Earl of Wells

Post by Lord_Of_The_LEGO »

Maedhros wrote:I´m not surprised this happened... I felt something along these lines would occur sooner or later.

I agree and I think most of the tales Dametreos has to offer has been told, but I hesitate to blame it on the MNPC rules.

Not all tales need to be born out of war, and that's what the MNPC rules were preventing: war.

I also have to disagree that all the factions have been "fleshed out." Knight's Kingdom remains a shadow, and the Crusaders are still painfully generic. And even with Matt's involvement, Knight's Kingdom II still has a lot of growing to do. And then, of course, there are the Vikings and the Shadow Knights.

But back to the tales. Yes, a lot of them have been done. There were:

A free-for-all adventure (Misfits Of Dametreos 1 & 2)
A drama (Dragonlust)
Several war stories (Fell War, War Within The Wolfpack)
Several political thrillers (Return Of The Bulls, Peregrine Politics, Rise and Fall Of Lord Void)
A coming-of-age tale (Walf's Adventure)
Several tresure-hunting tales (Quest For The Wizardsbane, Lost Stars Chronicle)
A world war epic (BloodVaine Epic)
Several swashbuckling adventures (Misfits, Seafaring Saga)
A comedy (Trio)
Many romances, including two love triangles (Reno+Shainya, Bernard+Elwen, Dale+Alice, Thomas+Merina, etc)
A horror story (Maedhros's unfinished tale)

And I'm sure there's several I've missed. The only thing that hasn't been done is a chick flick!

And honest, I think we've simply grown out of the CCRP. We have all matured, and I've really noticed how our writing has become better and better. And now we all have jobs, or college, or other school to deal with. And besides, I want to focus my creative writing somewhere else now. I'm wring a fictional (completely non-LEGO) book right now. I don't know if it will ever get published, but who knows.

I have really enjoyed the CCRP, and Dametreos. I tresure my characters. In fact, I feel some are too good just to be left in Dametreos. I am fond of Bjarn simply because he was my first character, he's been with me in Dametreos for the longest, but I must say Lord Void is my favorite character. He is just too cool. He might turn up in another book of mine, with a few changes of course. Again, who knows.
In the process of converting to [url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/nathanwells/]Flickr[/url].
Maedhros
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Maedhros »

Lord_Of_The_LEGO wrote:

I agree and I think most of the tales Dametreos has to offer has been told, but I hesitate to blame it on the MNPC rules.

Not all tales need to be born out of war, and that's what the MNPC rules were preventing: war.
That´s true... you need not have full scale wars but I still think the MNPC rules restricted what you can do... But I also understand that they were necessary.
"Hinc satis elucet maiorem habere uim ad discenda ista liberam curiositatem quam meticulosam necessitatem.”
- Augustinus Hipponensis
The Green Knight
Reeve

Post by The Green Knight »

Formendacil wrote:Should be Nathan's most recent post in the Roleplay, immediately following my most recent one.

Which, by the way, totally destroyed the Void/Ajaxx/Other Dragon Masters story we were planning...
Yeah, I've read it now.

Megablox. You know, I think that has to be the biggest set up to nothing in RP history. Not that I can blame you guys. I'm the one who dissapeared for a month. *sigh*

As for this stuff about having nothing left to write... Well before this turns into a discussion on if there's even an original thought in the universe let me say that in my opnion there are always worthy things to write about. I mean think about it, if everyone was only into original stuff we wouldn't have history books.

I always thought stories were about bringing a character from piont A to piont B. Sometimes that's the only tale you can tell with a character, sometimes it isn't. But the reason we read those stories is so that maybe we'll get to point B along with the character.

Now I'll be the first to admit that there aren't really any new point Bs, but I kind of think that there are some ones worth revisiting. Anyway, that's how I see it.

As for everyone leaving, I'm kind of indifferent. I've always said that Legos and certainly the RP as well aren't really the most worthy uses of a guys time and if you have other things...other places that can offer you more growth or say, fulfilment then by all means have at it. A make believe word can only teach you what people have put into it. The real world wasn't made by people. It has a lot more in it.
Formendacil wrote:But I have to ask: is there anyone still here to run with it?
Well I can only answer for myself. And as for myself, you all know how undependible I am. Now, I've tried to quit a lot of times but for some reason I care about these imaginary characters. Stupid I know. Right now I'm trying to come back. I've still got the subplot from the Dragon Master war story and I've got one last quest for Gib before the end. I imagine I'll keep clumping along for now and take care of swiching the Rp threads when Nate is busy. Then again, who knows? I could totaly dissapear in like three months from now. Although, I do have to ask Nathan, will you be retiring from the archiving as well?

Huh, now I know there was some other things I was going to say, but I forgot what they were....
Let us stop for a moment and ponder the signiture...

Ok, enough of that!
Lord Nev
Reeve

Post by Lord Nev »

I agree with Mhaedros! I like the idea of having a full-scale war. :D I was about to start one myself as soon as I was approved *cough*.

Ok I lie, but if it's against Black Falcs count me out. If it's against KK2 count me in!
Beware the day my soul is unleashed. Not even Megablocks itself will rival its fire!
Maedhros
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Maedhros »

I didn´t say that I wanted a fullscale war. MNPC rules can be other things too, but of course wars come to mind. But it can also be things as assassinations, coups etc...
- Augustinus Hipponensis
Robin Hood
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Robin Hood »

I must echo TheOrk's statement.

Though it probably wasn't apparent, I was starting to get more into the RP again. Now, I am stopped before I even begin. I hope that some of us will still be able to continue onward. Even if we have no admin or mods to guild us.

Dan :cry:
I build, therefore I am.

Brave words coming from a guy called grapenuts.
The Green Knight
Reeve

Post by The Green Knight »

Robin Hood wrote:Though it probably wasn't apparent, I was starting to get more into the RP again. Now, I am stopped before I even begin. I hope that some of us will still be able to continue onward. Even if we have no admin or mods to guild us.
Whoa, hold on there sparky! No one ever said that the Rp was shutting down. I believe Nathan said that:
I will still retain my position of Gaming Admin.
and I'm still here (for the moment). Just because some of us have found better ways to use our time and creative writing skills doesn't mean this place won't be here for those of you who are still into it.

Come on guys... Nathan, Michael, give me some backup here. The Rp doesn't need fifty people playing it to keep going, right?

You know what I say? I say we...
Let the adventure continue.
Let us stop for a moment and ponder the signiture...

Ok, enough of that!