Brace yourself for a new begining...

LEGO gaming, including group role playing games
TheOrk
Master

Post by TheOrk »

Not divided... more like... uninformed... I'm in the dark over here...
Yeah, me and Michael are uniformly in the dark. even together and at the same time too. Oh no, I still can't see... *bump* Ouch!
Don't worry guys, we're in good hands!

There's at least one LEGO gaming mod in the world who knows what's going on. :twisted:
Sir Kohran
Sheriff

Post by Sir Kohran »

Just wondering - is anything still happening with this new RP idea? It's been over two weeks now.

- Matt
TheOrk
Master

Post by TheOrk »

Sir Kohran wrote:Just wondering - is anything still happening with this new RP idea? It's been over two weeks now.

- Matt
Well, summer has just started...
Lord_Of_The_LEGO
Earl of Wells

Post by Lord_Of_The_LEGO »

I'm insanely busy right now with this and this.

The roleplay is not forgotten...but it also doesn't have a deadline. ;)
In the process of converting to [url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/nathanwells/]Flickr[/url].
The_Fright_Knight
Laborer

Post by The_Fright_Knight »

I've been thinking about joining the roleplay for a while, and this looks intresting.... Perhaps, the the rogue Fright Knights Montague Vortan and Glokkenemar Tulepen, Cy the gnome, or Weezil Feretauro will get in on this.....
"Nasty, disturbing, uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner!"
-Bilbo Baggins
Devari
Journeyman

Post by Devari »

Would you mind e-mailing me if/when this starts up again?
Barbapple
Steward

Post by Barbapple »

me too. PM me if it starts up again.

((Why'd it stop?))
TheOrk
Master

Post by TheOrk »

Barbapple wrote:((Why'd it stop?))
When I look at it then and at it now, there is only one reason I can think of.

Nathan and Mike retired, which in turn just killed me, Dan and anyone else who was still in it.

:evil:
Sir Kohran
Sheriff

Post by Sir Kohran »

TheOrk wrote:
Barbapple wrote:((Why'd it stop?))
When I look at it then and at it now, there is only one reason I can think of.

Nathan and Mike retired, which in turn just killed me, Dan and anyone else who was still in it.

:evil:
I don't think it was the retirements so much that killed the RP...I think it was a general lack of energy and interest, pretty much since the end of the Castle Dracul plot. Oh sure, there were (and still are) some very good plots in progress (I'm loving Robin Hood's Royal Knights plot), but IMO many of them didn't have the power that some of the older ones had.

Also, Dametreos had become, frankly, too boring to roleplay in. Every faction had been explored and built on. There were no more shocking revelations or new characteristics to develop.
In my opinion, they had also become too docile. When the MNPC rules were announced, Daimyo fought hard against them, saying that the Dark Forest were a barbarian nation. Now whilst I don't agree with him or his methods, I think, in the long run, he had a point. Compare the Dark Forest from the official sets (thugs and guerilla fighters) and the Fellwar (warlike and restless) with the civilized people from Hemmerington (much later than the Fellwar). Now whilst I and others really enjoyed the Hemmerington posts, there's not really many similarities, are there? Once again IMO, I think that the factions had become too peaceful and happy. Just like the many of the characters, they had reached a point where no much more could be done with them.

And the MNPC rules meant that you could no longer have the big, wild, sweeping adventures of the earlier days - there were specific limits on what you could do...the adventurers couldn't be as epic or timeless. I can certainly understand why it was implemented - but I think it had a negative effect on the roleplay in the long run.

Basically, I think it was just a combination of negative side effects.

Just my thoughts anyway.

- Matt
Last edited by Sir Kohran on Sat Aug 12, 2006 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lord_Of_The_LEGO
Earl of Wells

Post by Lord_Of_The_LEGO »

Some may say that the MNPC rules killed the RP. Some say the retirement of 2/3 of the Gaming Staff did it in.

I, personally, blame Real Life(tm). Mike and I are going to college. Tony has a wife and kid. I sure a lot of you have school, or a job, or some other relationship. We couldn't keep both worlds going. Dametreos, of course, had to fall.

The MNPC rules might have limited the RP, but eased the duties of the mods who's task had become quite large and cumbersome. Players, don't blame the rules or the mods. Our responce, as mods, is: "YOU try managing the RP for a change."

But this is not time to point fingers. The new RP is designed for ease of play: us mods will have very little to do other than register new players. The players will also be a lot more free to do what they want.
In the process of converting to [url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/nathanwells/]Flickr[/url].
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

Lord_Of_The_LEGO wrote:Some may say that the MNPC rules killed the RP. Some say the retirement of 2/3 of the Gaming Staff did it in.

I, personally, blame Real Life(tm). Mike and I are going to college. Tony has a wife and kid. I sure a lot of you have school, or a job, or some other relationship. We couldn't keep both worlds going. Dametreos, of course, had to fall.

The MNPC rules might have limited the RP, but eased the duties of the mods who's task had become quite large and cumbersome. Players, don't blame the rules or the mods. Our responce, as mods, is: "YOU try managing the RP for a change."

But this is not time to point fingers. The new RP is designed for ease of play: us mods will have very little to do other than register new players. The players will also be a lot more free to do what they want.
Speak for yourself, Admin-boss-boy. I'm perfectly willing to be seen as the sun by which the Roleplay rose and fell. :P

It was a lot of things...

Timing was the biggie. Had Nathan and I retired at a different time- preferably a time when we WEREN'T 2/3 of the Roleplay on our own, it would have had less impact. Or had we not done it pretty much in tandem (but, that's what happens when you do plots together... and elitist as it may have been, we did plots together). Or had it not happened during a bad point in the schoolyear, some of the "second tier" (meaning no insult) Roleplayers might have jumped into the breach.

But none of that happened... and Dametreos fell asleep. I won't say dead, because there are still the odd posts on it, and I wouldn't rule out another "Forestman Christmas Special"- or whatnot- if nostalgia hits in the future, and I want to do some sort of reunion... but she's no longer the raging beastie she once was, and it is the job of this new Roleplay (which DOES need a name...) to be the main Roleplay.

And we'll see...

I still support the MNPC and other rules of the old Roleplay wholeheartedly. I don't blame them for Dametreos' death. And I look a little in askance at this strange new Roleplay (which, alas, I won't have time to join anyway...). But we'll see... if it works, and there are no problems, then I'll eat my hat and admit that maybe we overruled Dametreos too much.

Maybe.

We'll see.

Meanwhile... get a-naming!
Barbapple
Steward

Post by Barbapple »

I blame when me and LEGO_KNIGHT left, thats the killer :P

And what are the MNTC or whatever rules y'all are talking about?