Classic-Castle.com


The source for all your LEGO Castle needs!

CC roleplay and gunpowder

LEGO gaming, including group role playing games

Postby Lord Felix » Mon Sep 11, 2006 7:04 pm

Yeah, I think gunpowder would be an unfair advantiage to all the bowmen... I agree against gunpowder in the large RP.
User avatar
Lord Felix
Landlord
 
Posts: 910
Joined: Wed Feb 22, 2006 2:07 am
Location: California, USA Age: 16

Postby dWhisper » Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:28 pm

Just my two cents, while I'm not in favor of the gun-powerder thing in general (say, revolutionary era), it did exist for some time in the period at had, though the application is a bit sketchy. It was notoriously unstable, inaccurate, and expensive. Arrows were cheap, accurate, and there was no danger of it blowing up your soldiers if something went wrong. But how would the inclusion of basic gunpowder be any more imbalancing than magic?

And there are a few guns in the Castle: Ninja line, does that count?
User avatar
dWhisper
Gong Farmer
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2006 3:09 pm

Postby Formendacil » Mon Sep 11, 2006 10:06 pm

dWhisper wrote:Just my two cents, while I'm not in favor of the gun-powerder thing in general (say, revolutionary era), it did exist for some time in the period at had, though the application is a bit sketchy. It was notoriously unstable, inaccurate, and expensive. Arrows were cheap, accurate, and there was no danger of it blowing up your soldiers if something went wrong. But how would the inclusion of basic gunpowder be any more imbalancing than magic?

And there are a few guns in the Castle: Ninja line, does that count?


For what it's worth... gunpowder wouldn't be any more unbalancing than magic. But an executive decision has been made to have absolutely no gunpowder, and for the time being that decision stays. Think of it as a stylistic decision: we'd RATHER see Elves and magic than gunpowder.

And no, the Ninja guns do NOT count or exist in this Roleplay. Nor did they in the last.

It's not IMPOSSIBLE that this decision may be opened up to a reversal in the distant future, but I wouldn't press for it.

~Michael A. Joosten - Gaming Moderator~
Because everyone needs another LEGO blog to follow:
Grandfather's Tales
User avatar
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar
 
Posts: 4189
Joined: Wed May 05, 2004 7:22 pm
Location: Framingham, MA

Postby Lord Nev » Thu Dec 07, 2006 4:05 pm

Sorry to dig up an old topic but what about an magic projectile weapon? A musket doesn't have to be gunpowder. It could be discharged by and shoot magic. I thot that would be interesting.
Beware the day my soul is unleashed. Not even Hell itself will rival its fire!
User avatar
Lord Nev
Reeve
 
Posts: 454
Joined: Sat Sep 10, 2005 11:07 pm
Location: Lost in my mind that is splitting with ideas.

Postby Rubberchickenknight » Thu Dec 07, 2006 9:25 pm

What about barrels of gunpowder for use by Dwarves?
User avatar
Rubberchickenknight
Squire
 
Posts: 626
Joined: Sun Apr 18, 2004 8:49 am
Location: Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Postby Lord Nev » Sat Dec 09, 2006 9:53 pm

I think they specifically said no gunpowder.
Beware the day my soul is unleashed. Not even Hell itself will rival its fire!
User avatar
Lord Nev
Reeve
 
Posts: 454
Joined: Sat Sep 10, 2005 11:07 pm
Location: Lost in my mind that is splitting with ideas.

Postby KuvarBlodøks » Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:43 am

In my combat rules muskets and arquebuses compare roughly equally to crossbows and longbows, composite bows coming out slightly ahead of other ranged weapons.

Muskets and heavy crossbows reload at the same rate, muskets do more damage but have a shorter range(half the range) and a much shorter aimed range(half again, heavy crossbows can be used aimed (as opposed to massed) at 4x the distance as muskets). Light crossbows and arquebuses compare similarly, both reload more quickly than the heavier weapons and can be used while mounted. Pistols are fairly weak and have short ranges.

Composite and long bows are largely similar, except composite bows have the longest range of any weapon and can be used while mounted.

Unlike real life, where the main advantage to gunpowder weapons was the minimal training requirements I can field as many trained crossbowmen or longbowmen as I can afford to BrickLink. Essentially to be realistic to the the time period, with their main advantage gone, why field gunpowder weapons unless it's 'the style' of you're army, they're just not as good.

Whether one considers it to their taste to use guns is a personal choice, but ultimately guns aren't a super weapon, they're barely an equal weapon. My rules weren't even planned to intentionally handicap guns, just after researching about the sorts of ranges and aimed ranges of various weapons available around 1450-1600 I came up with some numbers that reflected those ranges.
User avatar
KuvarBlodøks
Freeman
 
Posts: 88
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:59 am

Postby Knight David » Mon Mar 26, 2007 7:55 pm

I agree it would be kind of strange to see a group of foot soldiers charging a company of riflemen.

David
User avatar
Knight David
Gong Farmer
Gong Farmer
 
Posts: 123
Joined: Tue Jan 30, 2007 8:58 pm
Location: Ireland

Postby Lawkeeper » Thu May 17, 2007 2:24 pm

kelderic wrote:It would be kind of strange to see a group of foot soldiers charging a company of riflemen.

Kelderic


Actually, that's what one story of me and a friend of mine is all about!
User avatar
Lawkeeper
Peasant
 
Posts: 69
Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2007 10:01 am
Location: Birchvale, south of Fort Mallard

Postby Lawkeeper » Tue May 22, 2007 3:54 am

Gunpowder in small amounts would be cool. Anyone saw trailers of Fable 2? In a documentary, you can see how to fight together with your dog (you can have a dog).
For example, three hostile Hobbes (small, vicious midgets-things) are in front of you. One is armed with a pistol or small rifle, the other two with handweapons. If you pull out your rifle, your dog will attack the two with the handweapons, to slow them down. That gives you enough time to reload and pick them off.
In short, it would be cool to have fire-arms, but very unreliable ones and they should take a long time to reload. Just like in reality.
User avatar
Lawkeeper
Peasant
 
Posts: 69
Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2007 10:01 am
Location: Birchvale, south of Fort Mallard

Postby Sir Kohran » Tue May 22, 2007 6:35 am

Lawkeeper wrote:Gunpowder in small amounts would be cool. Anyone saw trailers of Fable 2? In a documentary, you can see how to fight together with your dog (you can have a dog).
For example, three hostile Hobbes (small, vicious midgets-things) are in front of you. One is armed with a pistol or small rifle, the other two with handweapons. If you pull out your rifle, your dog will attack the two with the handweapons, to slow them down. That gives you enough time to reload and pick them off.
In short, it would be cool to have fire-arms, but very unreliable ones and they should take a long time to reload. Just like in reality.


The decision has already been made. There won't be rifles or gunpowder.

- Matt
User avatar
Sir Kohran
Sheriff
 
Posts: 1567
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2004 7:24 am

Previous

Return to Roleplay and LEGO gaming

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests