NEW ROLEPLAY DISCUSSION THREAD

LEGO gaming, including group role playing games
Lamanda2
Merchant

Post by Lamanda2 »

Okay, Character time!

Name: Grimaldus Esmond
Looks: Here
Tools: General Grimaldus carries a long sword, a large shield , and a bright & dark red flag, sybolizing that he is the general of the Haron army.
Background:Grimaldus was born in Avarel, a small village on the outskirts of the Haron Castle, at age 7 his parents were killed by a group of bandits. He was found by King Leoric, leader of the Haron Army, who has raised him as one of his own to this day.
Other: Grimaldus is an excelent swordsman, and always goes into battle with his men, he is a very kind person, of coarse, this is not the case with his enemies, cross this swordsman, and he will show you no mercy.
Type of Character: Secondary
Last edited by Lamanda2 on Thu Sep 14, 2006 3:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
[url=http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=Lamanda]Bricks & Customs[/url]
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/lamanda2/]My Flickr[/url]
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

dWhisper wrote:Question from an entire noob that's had his interest perked by this. The premise behind this is a roleplaying area that we build around? I guess I don't understand the totality of this, just that this is where you create characters. I read through the three threads I saw on this, and have a few question (unless I missed the answer somewhere).
The Roleplay is a "world". In this world, you are free to tell your story- interacting with the characters of the other authors. The Roleplay isn't so much a game as it is a Story- and a story where the element of the surprise that comes from collaboration is a part of the thrill.
Since there's no pre-defined magic, does that mean there is no magic period, or that if we want magic, we have to define it out?
It means that there's no "system" to it. In the old Roleplay, there was "Mana" magic, and "Megablox" magic, and "goodness-knows-what-it's-called-but-it-aint-Mana-or-Megablox-magic-that-the-Old-Man's-using" magic.

Basically, magic is quite permissible in the Roleplay. Of course, the usual ideas about respecting other people's characters apply (so don't blast them into oblivion with your magic), and it's generally frowned upon to have "all powerful demigod types" (so don't go making sorcerers that can obliterate a city by accidently swinging their staff the wrong way). But other than that, go ahead.
Also, as just an out-there sort of deal, one of my main hobbies is writing, and I do a good deal of fantasy writing. To that end, I've developed a rather massive map I call on in the stories (about 10' x 6', on the continent scale), all hand-drawn and full of many fantasy-ish names. I have a webpage around somewhere, and can post it later. Once it's up, feel free to use it. I know once I make a character, it will be pulled from that particular land.
There is already, in the "New Roleplay Map" thread, a base map. Beyond this, there are no official maps. Now, if you wanted, you could easily incorporate names, history, some geography, and other elements into a culture within the new Roleplay world- but I would advise against trying to incorporate a pre-existing map as is; particularly if it's on the scale of a continent. The map of the small kingdom of Wellestowne is meant to be a reference point (within terms of geography), for all tales and places. It it would be difficult to relate your country to Wellestowne in terms of space/time, then don't...

Although the map is, essentially, infinite in how far we can make it go (no physical limits within which we need to hold it), let's be reasonable in how much space we use up. If we don't NEED thousands upon thousands of cities and armies, and whatnot- then use prudence and DON'T have them.

Anyway, further map discussion is probably best turned to the Map thread.

~Michael A. Joosten - Gaming Moderator~
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Re: A question...

Post by Formendacil »

Sir Kohran wrote:
Murgen wrote:I think the group needs to have a discussion around what level of 'realism' is the RP going to have.

Are we going to assume this is an open role-play, where the characters are 'real' people" and the world is 'real'?

Or are we assuming that the characters are actually 'living' minifigs, in a world populated my lego elements?

If it is the first one, then does it really have anything to do with the classic castle, other than its medieval theme?

If it is the second, does that place limitations that people would find too restrictive?

------

Now my personal opinion, or preference, would be to have it be a minifig based play in a lego world. The idea being that anything described should be buildable, at least in concept. The players physical descriptions should be able to be represented by (modified) minifigs. Monsters and villians could be drawn from other minifig genre's- such as house-elves for goblins or rock-monsters as feral beasts.
That's an interesting question, and though topics like this tried to answer it, an answer was never reached.

I guess it goes with the enigma of the CCRP in general. Think about it. We've got this world that's somehow stuck in a timelock - the whole land is set vaguely in the Middle Ages with no explanation as to how it came to be that way, and there's no explanation as to why there haven't been any real technological advances whatsoever - the whole world is just one way and it never changes. People strive for power, yes, but never anything else - there's no exploration beyond the sea, there's no famous inventors, no military advances - everyone's just content with living and dying in this one setting and with all the problems that come with it. It's one giant anomaly - just like the Lego feeling.

So I don't think we should answer it. Leave it as a mystery.

- Matt
I would echo all of what Matt said here. As with the previous Roleplay, it's a balance of the two: "real" and "LEGO".

The one good thing about the old Roleplay that this new one lacks especially is that all the official factions are no longer present- making the direct contact to LEGO a bit more tenuous. But this is a "LEGO Gaming Forum"- A LEGO Castle Gaming Forum, I should say- and the connection must be maintained.

What I suggest is this: when creating your character, and visualizing his surroundings, and his weapons, and all things physical- try to imagine him in a LEGO form, in a LEGO universe. A really good way to ground yourself here is to make him in LEGO form.

Now, once you start writing, feel free to go a bit more realistic. Refer to "physical impossibilities", such as a nose, or a bending elbow, or feet kicking under the table.

The basic way of summing it up is this: if you were playing a realistic game with your LEGO figs, you wouldn't let a lack of bendy legs keep your prince and fair lady from playing footsie under the table if it served your story to do so. Neither should this stop you here. But at the same time, do not lose sight of the fact that these are LEGO guys you're playing with.

Make sense? I hope so...

When it comes to writing, you can reinforce this (as TheOrk did, in the first Roleplay) by calling people "minifigs", by measuring things in "bricks", and other things of that nature. Or you can go with the style that most of us used: only in-joke or oblique references to LEGO things of that nature.

Of course, when illustrating, one should use LEGO, of course, if one is to illustrate at all.

TheOrk
Master

Post by TheOrk »

This is just a reminder, but we DO have a gaming chatroom here. 8)
Mike Viper
Archer
Location: At home practicing my singing, building, or hanging around with friends.

Post by Mike Viper »

I have an idea, since this is bordered in lego,

If you are to introduce a new creature, be it humanoid or completely creature, you must build it, as a reference for fellow RPers.
I ow it to wunztwice for directing me here.
Lord_Of_The_LEGO
Earl of Wells

Post by Lord_Of_The_LEGO »

I haven't seen this forum this active since the BloodVaine Epic.

Kudos to everyone!
In the process of converting to [url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/nathanwells/]Flickr[/url].
Remyth
Trade King
Location: At the corner of Nowhere Avenue and Not Close to Anything Street

Post by Remyth »

Here is another Character.

Name: Pirnethr (Per-neth-er)
Looks: He has brown hair, a short-ish beard(probably going to be Qui-Gon's face) He has blue eyes ang is always wearing a big smile on his face. A brown cape. He is 5'8".
Tools: A brown staff, a shortsword, and a dagger.
Background: Pirnethr was born in the city of Wellestowne(if the is alowed :wink:, if not, let me know and I will change it) and was raised up just outside of Robber's Wood. He went back to Wellenstowne at age 8 to become the apprentice of a wizard. He was a promissing young student, and soon he grew in knowledge and magic-lore(spells and what-not). He became an official Wizard at age 17, and soon climbed high in the ranks. However, his peer, Vrutran, dispized him, and tried to murder him. After this incident, Pirnethr vanished from the Kingdom of The Good King, and was never seen there agian. He, like Theyrus, wandered far before he met the Uneben Stamm, at age 38.
Other: He is always cheerful, despite his past expieriences, and is always willing to help. He has natural leadership abilaties, and he is on THe Council(of the Uneben Stamm). He wears a smile oll the time, and will be your friend if you will be his. He is among the most powerful wizards, although he is little known by honorable folk(like The Good King, and what-not.(or who-not :lol:)
Type of Character: Secondary(probably)

Thanks,
Last edited by Remyth on Sun Sep 10, 2006 6:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
Thomas Wunz <><

"A nameless, shapeless beast from the dark underside of Chat." - Josh Wedin

[url=http://flickr.com/photos/11381994@N00/]Flickr[/url]
ZIGGY!
Squire

Post by ZIGGY! »

Here goes another one:

Name: Sir (Max) Gelb

Looks: Blondish orangesh curly hair and short beard(Viking from Fenris wolf set)A tall powerful build and a serious expression at all times.6ft 1"

Tools: A well kept black cape,Sword of the Flame,Green Dragon shield,a black DM helmet with red plume,and raw strength.

Background: Sir Gelb was orphaned at a very young age,he was sent to a family in Eflam (the capital of Faronia) and grew up watching the soldiers as a result when he became of age he joined the military working very hard he finally got his wish at 25 as a Knight of the dragon,at 40 he was promoted to KnightDe Biggeand took Zeileg as his apprentice.He has now been sent to travel the wilderness for help against the invading SHs he has chosen Dude as his companion hoping to teach him new lessons along the way.

Other: A very serious knight Sir Gelb will not tolerate lightheadedness or irational behavior at anytime.If you act so around him expect a talk,a looong talk.Gelb is an expert swordsman with his silver great sword,he has also mastered the fire magic so watch out Bad guys!

Type of Character: Major

Whew for now those are all my characters,I may make more based on other peoples countries.I`m still not quite sure what I`m going to do about a map :cry:
Last edited by ZIGGY! on Mon Sep 11, 2006 10:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I've been let back on, zip-adee-doo-dah!
Mike Viper
Archer
Location: At home practicing my singing, building, or hanging around with friends.

Post by Mike Viper »

I know what you mean Nathan. Almost every time I press the refresh button, there's a new post, which is awsome, cause now I'm not bored!

I have a dark warlok sign-up coming soon.
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

Remyth wrote:Wellestowne(if the is alowed :wink:, if not, let me know and I will change it)
Definitely allowed!

As I've said, just because someone invents a country, that does not give them exclusive rights to its inhabitants, and since Wellestowne is intended to be the "crossroads" of the Roleplay, both in terms of geography and of player mindset, it's perfectly fine by me. As the "father" of Wellestowne, it does my heart proud to see its children come to life.

Mike Viper
Archer

Post by Mike Viper »

Has anyone givin thought to my creature proposal idea?
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

Whoops...

Sorry there, Mike... Too many things to reply to. Anyways:
Mike Viper wrote:If you are to introduce a new creature, be it humanoid or completely creature, you must build it, as a reference for fellow RPers.
Sounds like a good idea to me, but I wouldn't make it a rule. After all, some people may not have the parts they'd like to build the character they envision (those pesky gold Dragon helms can be so expensive, y'know). But I'd definitely encourage it, if they can. And if you CAN, then put a link in with your character descriptions. There's nothing like a picture to help get a handle on a character- and a LEGO character, at that.

Remyth
Trade King
Location: At the corner of Nowhere Avenue and Not Close to Anything Street

Post by Remyth »

Formendacil wrote:
Remyth wrote:Wellestowne(if the is alowed :wink:, if not, let me know and I will change it)
Definitely allowed!

As I've said, just because someone invents a country, that does not give them exclusive rights to its inhabitants, and since Wellestowne is intended to be the "crossroads" of the Roleplay, both in terms of geography and of player mindset, it's perfectly fine by me. As the "father" of Wellestowne, it does my heart proud to see its children come to life.

Cool! I will definently use this more in the future. I am the first Child of Wellestowne!!! 8) :lol: .

Thanks,
Thomas Wunz <><

"A nameless, shapeless beast from the dark underside of Chat." - Josh Wedin

[url=http://flickr.com/photos/11381994@N00/]Flickr[/url]
Mike Viper
Archer

Post by Mike Viper »

I might drop the sign-up dark warlock for a while.

I will probobly start my character off in Wellestowne, fulfilling a contract. Then perhaps I'll bump into someone or something.
ZIGGY!
Squire

Post by ZIGGY! »

I `d gladly show pics but my dad has our only USB cable and he`s usually busy.(Besides the fact our cam`s horrid)
I've been let back on, zip-adee-doo-dah!