NEW ROLEPLAY DISCUSSION THREAD

LEGO gaming, including group role playing games
Mike Viper
Archer
Location: At home practicing my singing, building, or hanging around with friends.

Post by Mike Viper »

Another question:

Does this world have working machines? Like D&D type machines? I'm hoping not. I dispise anything modern in castle, including gunpowder. Keep it simple medieval, that's my motto. Which isn't even a motto...it's just comething I like to say....yeah
I ow it to wunztwice for directing me here.
TheOrk
Master

Post by TheOrk »

Formendacil wrote:Okay, lest I be accused of falsehood, I HAVE finished my mapmaking, but it'll be a little while (read: either tonight, probably, or tomorrow) before I upload them here, because there's a small whack of explanation to go along with it, and I have to rush away (Hey, I'm at school!). Got too carried away with the fun of pseudo-cartography. Anyway, I made the maps this afternoon, as promised. I just haven't had time to upload them here. Will do soon as possible.

~Michael A. Joosten - Gaming Moderator~
That's great news!

I can't wait for this to start back up again. 8)
TheOrk
Master

Post by TheOrk »

Mike Viper wrote:Another question:

Does this world have working machines? Like D&D type machines? I'm hoping not. I dispise anything modern in castle, including gunpowder. Keep it simple medieval, that's my motto. Which isn't even a motto...it's just comething I like to say....yeah
If this new RP is anything at all like the old RP, then no. I think anything within a medieval context is allowed, but otherwise no advanced technology. An example would be that pirates would use bows and ballastae in place of guns and cannons.

Sorry to double post BTW.
Mike Viper
Archer
Location: At home practicing my singing, building, or hanging around with friends.

Post by Mike Viper »

Thanks for clering that up Nazgul, that's 100 pounds off my back.
ZIGGY!
Squire

Post by ZIGGY! »

Formendacil wrote:
ZIGGY wrote:3)I need a character that will aid my two questing Dragon knights,I can make my own but I thought it`d be more fun for someone else to make him/her and maybe make a few other characters.I can PM the basic story if you`re interested.
This is a question for the masses. If Remyth, SMcGinnis, Nazgul, or Mike Viper want to take a shot at it, I invite them to post here. Also, although there's nothing wrong with PMing basic stories and all that (and it's certainly a good idea if you want to keep some things secrets or surprises for the general audience), it's also nice at times to do your planning right here (this is the planning thread, after all). And don't worry about clutter. The more noise, interest, and energy we have circulating in this thread, the more people will get involved (really involved), and the better, more fun, and longer lasting things will be.

I just don`t want to start of by announcing my whole story but once we get off the ground I plan to plan in the planning topic :lol: Thanks alot for your time and Remyth I`ll PM right now.

One more thing guys, when you use the character info template if you can get rid of Force`s explanations that would be great :wink:
I've been let back on, zip-adee-doo-dah!
Mike Viper
Archer

Post by Mike Viper »

Hey, if we have limitless minor charactors, could we host an attack on a walled city?
ZIGGY!
Squire

Post by ZIGGY! »

I don`t think soldiers are characters.
ZIGGY!
Squire

Post by ZIGGY! »

Here goes,my first character:

Name: Sir Nesher

Looks: Blonde hair,goatee,sraight firm build with broad shoulders,palish skin about 5ft10".

Tools: Round headed steel mace,Heavy shield,Costum made Eastern style armor,and a quick wit.

Background: Nesher was born to a rich and famous Hawkshire family.He went to train in the military and quickly rose to a high rank.Seeing his ambition the elders of the new council chose him in as a charm to the young king.With his help they have convinced King Lidich to attack the Dragon Nation.Now he has been chosen to lead the strike force against the Dragon knights who have gone for help.

Other: Nesher has a quick brain and can solve problems in the blink ofan eye.His sharp gaze misses nothing.Nesher has a commanding air around him that gets him attention almost always.He is one of the youngest members of the new council and an expert fighter.Because of his skills he has been chosen as the strike force commander.

Type of Character: Major

Faronia is the dragon country and Hawkshire the Silver Hawks country

Next:

Name: Sir Zeileg

Looks: Short brown hair ,bits of beard,old ragged cape,slim-medium build,not so strong,5ft 9"

Tools: Enchanted Neck gaurd helmet and twin axes that are superlight(for him)The axes have levitational powers,climbing claws-self made.

Background: Zeileg always wished he could go to the army but his father never allowed but when his mother was killed by bandits their vengenance was so great he went sraight away,his wish is still to find these people and do them justice.Zeileg is a quick learner and under the watchful eye of Sir Gelb he has quickly grown to knight status.When Sir Gelb was selected to go for help he chose as his second.

Other: Zeileg`s hotheadedness often gets him in trouble usually Sir Gelb helps him out but he may still get hurt.Despite this fact he is stil a good fighter and displays much creativeness but pressuring him might lower that.When doing something for a cause he believes in, Zeileg can only be stopped by major injury,death,or Sir Gelb.

I think thats it,I may touch him up soon.

I'll say bye for now,toota loo,ZIGGY.
Last edited by ZIGGY! on Mon Sep 11, 2006 11:01 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Traveler
Reeve

Post by Traveler »

OK, here goes. I'm at school right now and I'm not sure how much time I'm going to have for this RP (17 credit-hours!), but I want to get my character in there and at least start with you guys. Heck, if it gets to be too much I'll just kill him off, he's 83 years old already! Also, once we find out more about the map and factions and what not, I may add to this a bit. I don't want to create my own faction because I have the feeling we're going to have quite a few as it is. If there's a "Crusader"-like faction, I'll probably go with that. I only say that because it appears we already have a "Falcon" faction. Anywho, here's my character:

Name: The Traveler (you may find out his real name later)

Looks: Old man, long white hair and beard, big smile

Rank: Retired from military service in <perhaps someone else's faction, as soon as there are some. If not, we'll just say "distant lands">. Was a High-ranking knight and military advisor.

Tools: Oaken staff, forestman hat with a long yellow feather, lute

Background: <Again, unsure as of yet, I'll need more info on the map and factions>

Other: The Traveler is a jolly old man. He was once one of the most respected knights in <faction>, but he's now retired and roams the land staying at wayside inns and the courts of old friends from long ago. He maintains a small home in <kingdom>, but is gone from it more often than not. He is friend to all who will call him friend, and enjoys the society of all men, from kings to jesters. He is most likely to be found roaming the countryside. The Traveler is in relatively good shape for an 83-year old man, due to his extensive hiking. He has no magical powers and is not especially fond of fighting. His favorite food is turkey and he carries a lute with him on his travels.

PS: As soon as I get a camera (which could be a while) I'll post a pic, he'll be my sig fig as well.
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

Mike Viper wrote:Hey, if we have limitless minor charactors, could we host an attack on a walled city?
You don't need to register everybody in an army to have an attack...

Not every character encountered in a story needs to belong to someone, or to be registered. If your character is a Captain, then it is ASSUMED that he has a company. If your character is a King, then it is ASSUMED he has a country. And if your Captain or King decides to go into battle- then go into battle his company or army does.

Furthermore, these non-registered companies/armies can make great breeding grounds for OTHER Roleplayers to get involves. Let's pretend that Sir Kohran wants to have his King's Army fight TheOrk's King's Army- and that Sir Dillon wants to get involved. Instead of making a THIRD (and unnecessary) King and Army, Sir Dillon can, instead, make a character who is a captain in TheOrk's Army, or a General in Sir Kohran's Army, or both! And Sir Kohran could have a character in TheOrk's army, and vice-versa.

Hope that explains it well enough... You don't even need to have the king to start a war, so long as nobody ELSE has the king of that country.

And, as already said elsewhere: There will be no gunpowder in the new Roleplay, at least not at this time.

I'm going to put up a new thread with the maps quite soon- keep your eyes peeled.

dWhisper
Gong Farmer

Post by dWhisper »

Quetion from an entire noob that's had his interest perked by this. The premise behind this is a roleplaying area that we build around? I guess I don't understand the totality of this, just that this is where you create characters. I read through the three threads I saw on this, and have a few question (unless I missed the answer somewhere).

Since there's no pre-defined magic, does that mean there is no magic period, or that if we want magic, we have to define it out?

Also, as just an out-there sort of deal, one of my main hobbies is writing, and I do a good deal of fantasy writing. To that end, I've developed a rather massive map I call on in the stories (about 10' x 6', on the continent scale), all hand-drawn and full of many fantasy-ish names. I have a webpage around somewhere, and can post it later. Once it's up, feel free to use it. I know once I make a character, it will be pulled from that particular land.
Murgen
Freeman

A question...

Post by Murgen »

I think the group needs to have a discussion around what level of 'realism' is the RP going to have.

Are we going to assume this is an open role-play, where the characters are 'real' people" and the world is 'real'?

Or are we assuming that the characters are actually 'living' minifigs, in a world populated my lego elements?

If it is the first one, then does it really have anything to do with the classic castle, other than its medieval theme?

If it is the second, does that place limitations that people would find too restrictive?

------

Now my personal opinion, or preference, would be to have it be a minifig based play in a lego world. The idea being that anything described should be buildable, at least in concept. The players physical descriptions should be able to be represented by (modified) minifigs. Monsters and villians could be drawn from other minifig genre's- such as house-elves for goblins or rock-monsters as feral beasts.
Water sleeps.
Sir Kohran
Sheriff

Re: A question...

Post by Sir Kohran »

Murgen wrote:I think the group needs to have a discussion around what level of 'realism' is the RP going to have.

Are we going to assume this is an open role-play, where the characters are 'real' people" and the world is 'real'?

Or are we assuming that the characters are actually 'living' minifigs, in a world populated my lego elements?

If it is the first one, then does it really have anything to do with the classic castle, other than its medieval theme?

If it is the second, does that place limitations that people would find too restrictive?

------

Now my personal opinion, or preference, would be to have it be a minifig based play in a lego world. The idea being that anything described should be buildable, at least in concept. The players physical descriptions should be able to be represented by (modified) minifigs. Monsters and villians could be drawn from other minifig genre's- such as house-elves for goblins or rock-monsters as feral beasts.
That's an interesting question, and though topics like this tried to answer it, an answer was never reached.

I guess it goes with the enigma of the CCRP in general. Think about it. We've got this world that's somehow stuck in a timelock - the whole land is set vaguely in the Middle Ages with no explanation as to how it came to be that way, and there's no explanation as to why there haven't been any real technological advances whatsoever - the whole world is just one way and it never changes. People strive for power, yes, but never anything else - there's no exploration beyond the sea, there's no famous inventors, no military advances - everyone's just content with living and dying in this one setting and with all the problems that come with it. It's one giant anomaly - just like the Lego feeling.

So I don't think we should answer it. Leave it as a mystery.

- Matt
dWhisper
Gong Farmer

Post by dWhisper »

Funny, the elements outside of power were the things I tried to address the most in my backstory development (at least in my writing). Answering things like timelines and development add for a richer tapestry, at least in my opinion. But not answering would also give us more individual power to answer it, I suppose.
TheOrk
Master

Post by TheOrk »

I'm not the one to give the official answer, but the original CCRP, had a mixture. The people were refered to minifigs rather then humans. That and there were various references to LEGO in general.

Besides that, the minifigs were like normal people. They could wear clothes and accessories like normal people. They moved like normal people.If they are wounded anywhere, they would pretty much react the way a normal person would react.
Since there's no pre-defined magic, does that mean there is no magic period, or that if we want magic, we have to define it out?
As the other old RPer's were saying; magic can be used to do what medieval technology can't do. Like get someone from one end of the map to the other in a day. But you shouldn't over do it. Magic in the original CCRP was the lifeblood of the world and just worked like regular fantasy magic.

I hope that clears it up. :wink:

And no, I'm not as big a nerd as that post made me sound.