Castle Layout at BrickWorld 2007

Discussion and planning of large-scale Castle Themed displays and events
Crazylegoman
Bailiff

Castle Layout at BrickWorld 2007

Post by Crazylegoman »

Greetings everyone!

The upcoming inaugural BrickWorld will have a collaborative Castle display using the great building standards that the AFOL community has created throughout the years, plus one new building standard.

I'm sure that the vast majority of you are already familiar with the popular Classic Castle City (CCC) modular wall building standard. We will be using CCC walls, so bring your gates, your towers, your straight walls and any other CCC wall module you'd like to make.

What fortress is complete without plenty of farmland to feed all those medieval minifigs? (and we castle-heads sure do have a knack for building our MF armies!) We will use the CCC Farm Standard to bring together fields of crops. If you have any crops made on regular baseplates, chances are that they already fit with the straightforward Farm Standard.

While the farming peasants must endure life outside the fortress wall, many merchants and shopkeepers will enjoy the safety and atmosphere inside the wall amidst the Medieval Marketplace. Salesmen in the Medieval Marketplace can sell anything from apples to swords to their daughters to rocks for stoning people.

Is building landscape more your style? Check out the Base8 landscaping standard for ways to break up the horizontal monotony of regular baseplates. The sky's the limit with Base8, as long as you bring the edge of your creation back down to baseplate level at the edges.

The final building standard we'll be using for Castle is the new Tall Wall Standard. The new Tall Walls are meant to be used with the current CCC Walls. Here are the basic principles of the new Tall Walls:

• They're built along the center of 32X32 baseplates
• Walls are 8 studs thick
• Walls are 14 bricks tall under the walkway plate

Here you can see the difference between a Tall Wall and a CCC Wall

Of course, there's also the need for freestyle MOC's that don't follow a standard. Some of the best Castle MOC's are the ones that fill in the gaps between the walls and other modular creations.

Recap list of links to standard instructions

Classic Castle City Wall Standard
CCC Farm Standard
Medieval Marketplace
Base8 Landscaping
Tall Wall Standard

Please stay tuned to the LUGNET Castle newsgroup and the Classic-Castle forums here for upcoming info on contests.

I'm very excited to be a part of the BrickWorld team and to be the Castle Coordinator for the event. The recent galleries on flickr and Brickshelf of Brickfest in Portland show how great a Castle layout can be when enough AFOL's get together. I hope that everyone who would like to attend Brickworld is able to come regardless of what theme they're into.

David "Fuzzy" Gregory
BrickWorld Castle Coordinator
ImageImage
Tedward
Squire

Post by Tedward »

Did I miss a discussion? When was the "Tall Wall" standard proposed? What was wrong with the double height CCC walls?

I would also point out that the Medieval Marketplace is a defunct standard superseeded (meaning it is absorbed, included in, an ancestor of) the Classic Castle City standard. You just build buildings, or tents or market stalls and place them inside CCC walls. Sorry, I thought I did a better job of explaining that in the Brickwiki article you referenced.
Crazylegoman
Bailiff

Post by Crazylegoman »

Tedward wrote:Did I miss a discussion? When was the "Tall Wall" standard proposed? What was wrong with the double height CCC walls?
You didn't miss anything. This thread was the first time I made a public post about the Tall Wall. A few years ago, I remember seeing the double height CCC wall that Peter Guenther created for MICHLUG. I thought that is was great to have a taller wall that fit with the CCC Walls. Since then, however, I've seen very few MOC's using the double high wall.

(Other builders such as lemonsqueezer have made some nice taller-than-standard wall sections, and William Howard has made a whole plethora of different sized castle walls.)

I thought that a revamp of a larger wall standard that fits the CCC Walls might encourage Brickworld attenders to build modules. Back in January I made different Tall Wall prototypes and got some feedback from the LUG I'm in as well as from the Brickworld team. The one that was the most popular and had the most positive comments was the size I went with. Only time will tell if the new Tall Wall makes it though. If the idea bombs, then the Tall Wall standard could chronicled as the biggest blunder since Galidor. :oops:
Tedward wrote:I would also point out that the Medieval Marketplace is a defunct standard superseeded (meaning it is absorbed, included in, an ancestor of) the Classic Castle City standard. You just build buildings, or tents or market stalls and place them inside CCC walls. Sorry, I thought I did a better job of explaining that in the Brickwiki article you referenced.
When I was encouraging fellow castle-heads in IndyLUG to attend Brickworld, some of them asked about having a marketplace area in the City for their medieval shop MOC's. I told them that the Medieval Marketplace could be used, as a simple* way of saying "Yes". When IndyLUG sets up Castle displays, however, we never actually adhere to all the specs of MM. I imagine marketplace MOC's at Brickworld will work the same.

Out of the standards listed, I believe that the city walls and the farm sections will be the ones that generate the most MOC's.

David

* On second thought, the word "yes" would have been the simplest way to say yes.
Prince Imdol
Master

Post by Prince Imdol »

Can you make inner city stuff, like armories, Tavern, and such?

Thomas C.
Thomas C.
"Sow a thought, reap an action;
Sow an action, reap a habit.
Sow a habit, reap a character.
Sow a character, reap a destiny"

"Don't let school interfere with your education."-Huckleberry Finn
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

Prince Imdol wrote:Can you make inner city stuff, like armories, Tavern, and such?

Thomas C.
Of course. Bring your medieval town buildings and we will arrange them randomly inside and outside of the city walls. Read more about the CCC Village here: http://www.classic-castle.com/ccc/cccstandard.html

Ben
Cajun
Serf

Post by Cajun »

I'm making a small-ish outdoor display for the castle layout. ( 2 32x32 baseplates plus a small 16x16 which goes further away ).

Plus I'm bringing my revamped dragon from BrickFest last year. If it'll fit I'd love to include it as well. It seemed to go with the castle theme much better than the mecha table.

Just thought I'd chime in. I'll keep an eye on developments here.
Prince Imdol
Master

Post by Prince Imdol »

How old are you. Please be a kid, so I dont have to be the only one there.

P.I
Thomas C.

Crazylegoman
Bailiff

Post by Crazylegoman »

Cajun wrote:I'm making a small-ish outdoor display for the castle layout. (2 32x32 baseplates plus a small 16x16 which goes further away).
Is it forest or farm type stuff?
Cajun wrote:Plus I'm bringing my revamped dragon from BrickFest last year. If it'll fit, I'd love to include it as well. It seemed to go with the castle theme much better than the mecha table.
Besides the themed collaborative areas, you can also sign up for your own MOC tables to show your work.

David
Cajun
Serf

Post by Cajun »

Is it forest or farm type stuff?
It is forest stuff. 2 large trees (12" tall & 10" tall) on the 32 baseplates. The other 16x16 is a small forestman's hut :twisted:
Besides the themed collaborative areas, you can also sign up for your own MOC tables to show your work.
No problem. The bigger dragon is more of an "if it works in well" type idea. If not I'm sure we'll find a spot for it somewhere. I've signed up for mecha space just in case.
SavaTheAggie
Lord Sava of Aggie

Post by SavaTheAggie »

There are whispers in the wind saying that a certain Lord of the land of Aggie might just be showing. If so, he wouldn't be able to offer any castles*, but a greek temple, a few houses and a large dragon could be brought. Also possible would be a large collection of brick-built trees both summer and winter themed.

--Tony

*You'd have to pay me to bring Ulmaris Castle anywhere - too big, too much, too long to set up.
[url=http://www.ikros.net][img]http://www.ikros.net/links/ikrosbuttonsmall.jpg[/img][/url]

Give a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
Prince Imdol
Master

Post by Prince Imdol »

Is the dragon Formeathan, Tempi Fri?, or some one from the Garadain series.

P.I
Thomas C.

Crazylegoman
Bailiff

Post by Crazylegoman »

SavaTheAggie wrote:There are whispers in the wind saying that a certain Lord of the land of Aggie might just be showing. If so, he wouldn't be able to offer any castles, but a Greek temple, a few houses and a large dragon could be brought. Also possible would be a large collection of brick-built trees both summer and winter themed.
Eeeeexcellent...
♪ "Whether I'm the last one alive, or ascend before my time
Better I'm the last one alive, than a soul denied" ♫ —Demon Hunter
The_Vanquished
Artisan

Post by The_Vanquished »

I love Sava's Dragons, you don't know how love I have been trying to make one. Then I realized that I didn't get any more pieces since the last time I tried. :?

I wish I lived closer, this is taking place somewhere in California, isn't it?
wrap me in a bolt of lightning,
send me on my way still smiling,
maybe that's the way i should go:
straight into the mouth of the unknown....
SavaTheAggie
Lord Sava of Aggie

Post by SavaTheAggie »

The_Vanquished wrote:I love Sava's Dragons, you don't know how love I have been trying to make one. Then I realized that I didn't get any more pieces since the last time I tried. :?

I wish I lived closer, this is taking place somewhere in California, isn't it?
Slightly north of Chicago, I couldn't afford to drive all the way out to California (nor would I ever do so on purpose :P )

--Tony
[url=http://www.ikros.net][img]http://www.ikros.net/links/ikrosbuttonsmall.jpg[/img][/url]

Give a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.