BrickCon 2012 Collaborative Project: Age of Empires II

Discussion and planning of large-scale Castle Themed displays and events
JoshWedin
Chevalier de Chèvre

Re: BrickCon 2012 Collaborative Project: Age of Empires II

Post by JoshWedin »

AK_Brickster wrote:Josh, I think we are going to go w/ either green or blue for the Teutons. I'd prefer green, aesthetically, but maybe blue would be easier since the green from the game is more along the lines of the new dark green, which many people probably won't have very much of, and it shows up as an accent color in all of the buildings. The blue from the game is relatively close to the standard Lego blue, if I recall correctly, and I'm sure there's more elements / better availability in blue than dark green.
Thoughts?
Personally, I would go with blue. I believe that is the default color unless you changed it, so it is probably the most recognizable. You are correct about the green being dark. That could get expensive and it blend into the landscape quite a bit. But it is really up to you guys.

I'll go with red for the units I'm working on then. Thank you, I appreciate it. I usually played as red Persians, so I'm going to build a contingent of red Persian War Elephants to knock on the gates of your Tuetonic Fortress. ;)

Laters,
Josh
AFOL and his money are easily parted.

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/ak_brickster/8 ... hotostream][img]http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8252/85336074 ... 2a10_t.jpg[/img][/url] [url=http://www.Brothers-Brick.com]The Brothers Brick[/url]
CastleLord
Reeve

Post by CastleLord »

That sounds like a good plan Josh. and i have to agree the green in the game is really dark.
And to anyone interested here's most of the Teutons buildings in blue in the castle age: Linky
if anyone here want's other pics please let me know.

CastleLord.
CastleLord. The Lord of the castle.
TFOL and computer nerd. I do as I please and live life to the fullest!
Please visit:
and [url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/castlelord/]My Flickr[/url]
AK_Brickster
Admin
Admin

Post by AK_Brickster »

JoshWedin wrote:I'll go with red for the units I'm working on then. Thank you, I appreciate it. I usually played as red Persians, so I'm going to build a contingent of red Persian War Elephants to knock on the gates of your Tuetonic Fortress. ;)

Laters,
Josh
Yeah, well, you know what the best defense for War Elephants is, right? Monks! *Wo-lo-lo...wo-lo-lo...*
You should make one of your elephants in blue, so he can play the part of a converted unit :)
Plastics make it possible! (BrickLink) - My Flickr Stream
Courage, Honor, Loyalty! For Garheim!
AK_Brickster
Admin
Admin

Post by AK_Brickster »

CastleLord wrote:And to anyone interested here's most of the Teutons buildings in blue in the castle age: Linky

CastleLord.
Oh man, this is gonna be SICK in the brick!

Do you think I should do the base in light gray and taper it into dark gray on the way up?

Also, I never noticed until just now how the entrance to this castle works. I always thought it was just a standard entrance between the front turrets. This drawbridge parallel to the front wall is waaaay cooler and is going to be really fun to build! :D

Lastly, with an eye towards details that are going to make this really look authentic, does anyone have pictures of waypoints / flags for garrisoned buildings? I'm envisioning a guard tower with peasants running into it with a garrison flag on top :)
Also, maybe a string going from the corner of a stable/barracks/archery range to a waypont flag nearby.

OK, Lastly lastly (I keep thinking of stuff and coming back to edit this post)
Any chance someone could play a game thru as the Teutons and extract the audio from it to be played in the background? I don't know how best to do this, but I think it would be awesome to have actual soundbites from the game! *Rogin?*
Last edited by AK_Brickster on Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
CastleLord
Reeve

Post by CastleLord »

AK_Brickster wrote:
CastleLord wrote:And to anyone interested here's most of the Teutons buildings in blue in the castle age: Linky

CastleLord.
Oh man, this is gonna be SICK in the brick! (like that rhyme time action there? ;))

Do you think I should do the base in light gray and taper it into dark gray on the way up?

Also, I never noticed until just now how the entrance to this castle works. I always thought it was just a standard entrance between the front turrets. This drawbridge parallel to the front wall is waaaay cooler and is going to be really fun to build! :D

Lastly, with an eye towards details that are going to make this really look authentic, does anyone have pictures of waypoints / flags for garrisoned buildings? I'm envisioning a guard tower with peasants running into it with a garrison flag on top :)
Also, maybe a string going from the corner of a stable/barracks/archery range to a waypont flag nearby.
i can get any pic you want.
And here you go: Image
(Pic is also uploaded into my flickr stream)
Waypoint flag:

and about the build the castle is light at the bottom and dark further up so yes i think buidling it as you suggested should turn out really good.

CastleLord.
EDIT: added the waypoint flag.
Please visit:
AK_Brickster
Admin
Admin

Post by AK_Brickster »

Check this out :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehZMQ9Q1Jko
Full AoE2 Soundtrack!
SEdmison
Laborer

Post by SEdmison »

JoshWedin wrote:Can I suggest that we don't turn the baseplates 45 degrees but just turn the buildings instead? If they are "drop-in" this will be easy to do. If the baseplates are turned that will cause significant issues for the rest of the castle area by cutting down on usable space. As most of you know, space is limited and I would hate to waste it in triangular spaces that can't be filled.
Good point.
All things in moderation, particularly moderators.

Flickr: [url]http://www.flickr.com/photos/sedmison/[/url]
AK_Brickster
Admin
Admin

Post by AK_Brickster »

CastleLord wrote:i can get any pic you want.
Can you add pics of each of the military figs? We'll need examples of infantry, archers, cavalry, and Teutonic Knights, at least. Probably also monks, trade carts, and pics of resources like trees, stone, gold. The foundation of a building that's just being started, and rubble would also be useful.

Do we know how we want to do the roofs? They're burt-orange tiles in the game, but should we just use red slopes? That seems the most practical, but then you've got a lot of red in what is supposed to be blue team buildings....
CastleLord
Reeve

Post by CastleLord »

AK_Brickster wrote:
CastleLord wrote:i can get any pic you want.
Can you add pics of each of the military figs? We'll need examples of infantry, archers, cavalry, and Teutonic Knights, at least. Probably also monks, trade carts, and pics of resources like trees, stone, gold. The foundation of a building that's just being started, and rubble would also be useful.

Do we know how we want to do the roofs? They're burt-orange tiles in the game, but should we just use red slopes? That seems the most practical, but then you've got a lot of red in what is supposed to be blue team buildings....
I'll se what i can get done tonight and then i'll do the rest tomorrow.
And on the point troops do you mean only the Teutons in blue or some other ones?
Please visit:
AK_Brickster
Admin
Admin

Post by AK_Brickster »

CastleLord wrote: I'll se what i can get done tonight and then i'll do the rest tomorrow.
And on the point troops do you mean only the Teutons in blue or some other ones?
I mostly just need Teutons in blue for now. A lot of those units are generic to most civs, so people can use them regardless of color. Once we figure out what other civs we're doing, we can add their unique units to the gallery if someone needs them.
Thanks!
CastleLord
Reeve

Post by CastleLord »

And just to be sure. you want them in the Castle age right? or the Imperial age?
All the buildings are in the Castle age so i guess it would be most fitting to have the troops from the castle age too.
and do you want the longswordsman or the man at arms?

CastleLord.
Please visit:
AK_Brickster
Admin
Admin

Post by AK_Brickster »

I'm not sure which was decided on. I might have to defer to someone else here... I guess we should go with whichever age is most easily replicated?
CastleLord
Reeve

Post by CastleLord »

Well here's the troops in the Castle Age, some from the Feudal Age and lastly some from the Imperial Age.
Pics O'Hoy

CastleLord.
Please visit:
SEdmison
Laborer

Post by SEdmison »

Has anyone figured out the relative grid scale? That is, if a castle and town center are 32x32, I'm trying to get a sense how big a barracks should be, a tower should be, and so forth.

Should we wait for castle and town center prototype builds before building anything else? Or is there something I should start looking into?

Also, do we have nominations for a second civ? (I personally used to always play the Byzantines (because) I loves me some walls and cannons, but that's just me. :D)

(Basically I'm looking for anything I can do to participate, without completely jumping the gun or stepping on someone else's toes.)

Cheers,
Sean
All things in moderation, particularly moderators.

Flickr: [url]http://www.flickr.com/photos/sedmison/[/url]
CastleLord
Reeve

Post by CastleLord »

SEdmison wrote:Has anyone figured out the relative grid scale? That is, if a castle and town center are 32x32, I'm trying to get a sense how big a barracks should be, a tower should be, and so forth.

Should we wait for castle and town center prototype builds before building anything else? Or is there something I should start looking into?

Also, do we have nominations for a second civ? (I personally used to always play the Byzantines (because) I loves me some walls and cannons, but that's just me. :D)

(Basically I'm looking for anything I can do to participate, without completely jumping the gun or stepping on someone else's toes.)

Cheers,
Sean
A far as i know, Josh is working/thinking about making some War Elephants and foot soldiers (I think).
AK_Brickster is as i have read planning to try and build the Teuton Castle.
So othet than that, feel free to do anything else.
And just to inform. As far as i know, the teutons are the main faction during this build.
To Josh and AK_Brickster. What faction is the main one? did we settle on the Teutons in blue? or some other faction?

CastleLord.
Please visit: