BrickCon Castle Planning 2012 (And Convention Wrap-up)

Discussion and planning of large-scale Castle Themed displays and events
plums_deify
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Re: BrickCon Castle Planning 2012

Post by plums_deify »

Frankly, we definitely prefer the edges of larger displays be Base-8, and we typically have enough brick to build to meet it if someone's not compatible.

When Josh or I get word the table layout for the hall has been determined, that can help steer the way for how big or small individual pieces should be. Tom will probably bring his portion of the display.
Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Be Smart. Be evil.

Sister Brick @ [url=http://www.brothers-brick.com]The Brothers Brick[/url]!
Fraslund
Robin Goodfellow

Post by Fraslund »

I had planned on making sections on the side similar to the entrance for meeting with ajoining pieces, but from a design standpoint, I needed elevation for the river so had to bump the ground up to Base+3 bricks+Plate. I only added the edges to cover the terrible looking bricks under the plates :)

I would love to coordinate with the people next to me on either side to make this all fit.
Elephant Knight
CC Spriggan
CC Spriggan

Post by Elephant Knight »

Tenativly speaking, I have a Yellow castle thing that I want to do, to add a bit of colour, you know. I think it will probably be in the vicinity of about 96x96 studs.

EKnight
Last edited by Elephant Knight on Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's not what you say it's how you say it.

Flickr, Colour it Blacktron, A Pirate's Life
BiggerJim
Apprentice

Post by BiggerJim »

I am coming and will have a forested area to contribute I hope. Size and shape TBD but can work with whatever is going on.
[url=http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=biggerjim]My store[/url] [url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/biggerjim/]My Flickr[/url]
MOC's come and go....But sorting is forever.
JoshWedin
Chevalier de Chèvre

Post by JoshWedin »

So far it all sounds good!

I am not even going to attempt a layout plan yet, but we should have no problems incorporating at least parts of everything people have mentioned.

It would be helpful to me if the people who are building AOE work together without my mediation and then give me the estimated size. Same would be nice for anything LCC related, since I assume you want any LCC MOCs displayed together.

As for standards, I don't force anyone to use certain standards. But if the co-op layout uses base8 edges and sizes, so that everyone can match up.

Looking good so far!
Josh
AFOL and his money are easily parted.

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/ak_brickster/8 ... hotostream][img]http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8252/85336074 ... 2a10_t.jpg[/img][/url] [url=http://www.Brothers-Brick.com]The Brothers Brick[/url]
AK_Brickster
Admin
Admin

Post by AK_Brickster »

I visited Fraslund's place last weekend and am going to try to match up to him on the left side of his display (L-side when facing it from the standpoint of the viewing public). The exact way in which I'm going to build up against his is not yet determined, but I'll need probably 3 baseplates wide, at least. On the left end of MY display, I'll be sure it's base-8 compatible (Fraslund's is not B-8, currently, due to the river, so I will act as a transition back down to baseplate+brick for him)
Plastics make it possible! (BrickLink) - My Flickr Stream
Courage, Honor, Loyalty! For Garheim!
CreativeAnarchy
Serf

Post by CreativeAnarchy »

Ok, sorry for the late notice but I'm going to be able to make it this year. I'm short on time to begin building but I'm sure I could put out 2-3 32x32s. What do we need for the layout? Are we short on village MoCs or Walls? Beaches? Forests?
Sir_Darc
Freeman

Post by Sir_Darc »

A bit of disappointing news: I don't believe I will be able to finish my large display in time. I haven't had enough time to work on it, and I've been busy with many other issues recently that have taken time away from my LEGO projects. The plan right now is to build something smaller, probably a 64 x 64 stud landscape, and lots of filler for helping the other layouts out. I still want to do the large display I've planned, but it may be next year instead of this year.

I will post another update if this changes. Thanks, and sorry about that! Got to keep my priorities straight.
- Jubal
AK_Brickster
Admin
Admin

Post by AK_Brickster »

Jubal - Sad you won't be able to finish your MOC in time. The one you had last year would have been tough to top though!!

Here is my layout that will go next to Fraslund's on the Left side. He is going to build a bridge across his river that will lead straight out through the gatehouse of my wall.

The other stuff shown is just to get an idea of building footprints and general layout. The right side of the picture is the side that will front the audience.

CreativeAnarchy
Serf

Ok, I've got a 32 x 32 of adventurers gathering outside of a cave. It should be finalized within the week depending on how rough it will be to do lighting. I'm planning a pub. right now it's 32 x 32 the more details I think about the more it starts to look like it might go into a second 32 x 32. I'm also not sure what the interest level is but I have a handful of the old Castle Orks riding on the new Dino dinosaurs. They're not set in anything particular and could be thrown into a battle scene pretty easilly. They've ended up looking pretty decent if you guys want me to bring them along.
SEdmison
Laborer

Post by SEdmison »

CreativeAnarchy wrote:Ok, I've got a 32 x 32 of adventurers gathering outside of a cave. It should be finalized within the week depending on how rough it will be to do lighting. I'm planning a pub. right now it's 32 x 32 the more details I think about the more it starts to look like it might go into a second 32 x 32. I'm also not sure what the interest level is but I have a handful of the old Castle Orks riding on the new Dino dinosaurs. They're not set in anything particular and could be thrown into a battle scene pretty easilly. They've ended up looking pretty decent if you guys want me to bring them along.
I have a bunch of the old orc/troll guys and could throw together a battle force. I'm a sucker for a good battle scene....
All things in moderation, particularly moderators.

Flickr: [url]http://www.flickr.com/photos/sedmison/[/url]
AK_Brickster
Admin
Admin

Post by AK_Brickster »

Are we doing the massive fig battle area like we did last year?
SEdmison
Laborer

Post by SEdmison »

AK_Brickster wrote:Are we doing the massive fig battle area like we did last year?
This year there's a whole battle theme, so that might be a good place to stage some epic fights....
All things in moderation, particularly moderators.

Flickr: [url]http://www.flickr.com/photos/sedmison/[/url]
CreativeAnarchy
Serf

I'm totally spacing out, for the cooperative build are we doing brown or tan road sections?
AK_Brickster
Admin
Admin

Post by AK_Brickster »

I believe the standard is tan or dark tan?