BrickCon Castle Planning 2012 (And Convention Wrap-up)

Discussion and planning of large-scale Castle Themed displays and events
JoshWedin
Chevalier de Chèvre

BrickCon Castle Planning 2012 (And Convention Wrap-up)

Post by JoshWedin »

Hey All,

Sorry I've been away...but it is now time to begin planning the Castle layout at BrickCon 2012. I have not preconceived ideas this year, so lets discuss it and see what wild and crazy things we come up with!

Build On,
Josh
AFOL and his money are easily parted.

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/ak_brickster/8 ... hotostream][img]http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8252/85336074 ... 2a10_t.jpg[/img][/url] [url=http://www.Brothers-Brick.com]The Brothers Brick[/url]
Sir_Darc
Freeman

Re: BrickCon Castle Planning 2012

Post by Sir_Darc »

I'm working on another castle/fantasy landscape display. It'll be big, bigger than last year's, but it's not going down to the floor this time. (Instead, it'll go UP!) It'll fit fine in a collaborative display, but if we have the same space as before, it'll likely span the whole depth of the tables, so any collaborative sets can connect on the sides.

I'm planning out how to do the build, but probably won't have details until I'm nearly done.

If we're doing a collaborative display, I'll build/bring parts for filler, and try to have roads, cliffs, rivers, etc. that can join up and hide borders.

Personally, I think a collaborative display would be more interesting if it has some kind of theme or story running through it, even if it's just a common element repeated in different areas. It doesn't have to dictate exactly what people build, but it can help define the display as a whole.

My thoughts on a theme is either some distinctive creature milling around each area causing trouble, or maybe a decorative building motif or image, zombie invasion, or some other thing that is simple enough for anyone to incorporate. I dunno, it's an idea.
- Jubal
Bluesecrets
High Priestess of the Vermillion Order
High Priestess of the Vermillion Order

Post by Bluesecrets »

I will be there..unfortunately I have to leave on Sunday early...so I can't bring anything, but I can help build while I'm there. Theme or no theme, I like how you have planned it over the last few years Josh..with water, desert and land areas...providing for all of the different areas of castle.
BrickshelfFlickr

Queen of Tan

Any building, is good building. Build for the fun of it!
Shadowviking
Councilor

Post by Shadowviking »

We should do a historical layout. No fantasy allowed and strict research required.

No? Okay, jeez, stop throwing things, I get it D:
...and that's how Equestria was made!
[url=http://www.flickr.com/people/shadowviking/]flickr[/url] | [url=http://receptacle.tumblr.com/]tumblr[/url] | [url=http://tellers-tales.wikidot.com/]teller's tales[/url]
ffilz
Foot Soldier

Post by ffilz »

Speculation suggests I will be there again this year. I'd like to continue expanding on my layout (and maybe bring everything this year).

With that in mind, I think I can fill a 90"x60" area (90" linear table space, full depth).

I probably won't fit into the big group effort, but as always, my display will be Base-8 compatible and I would love it if any other Base-8 folks adjoined my display.

My next big castle will probably be a Kingdom's castle.

Frank
Tedward
Squire

Post by Tedward »

I seem to recall somewhere (cannot find the thread right now) that the LCC project was proposed as the structure for BC this year. Is LCC going to be a sub-section, the whole thing or totally separate?
AK_Brickster
Admin
Admin

Post by AK_Brickster »

I would LOVE to do an LCC section for the castle layout. So far I think the other idea that's on the table is the Age of Empires layout.

Jubal has a barracks already built, David Frank is doing a town center, and I'm going to do a Teuton castle. There is another thread for that layout in this section of the forum, so check it out.

As for an LCC section, how many LCC members are planning on attending BrickCon? I'm guessing Aliencat is, but not sure if he has room/time to bring an LCC MOC. Anyone else?
Plastics make it possible! (BrickLink) - My Flickr Stream
Courage, Honor, Loyalty! For Garheim!
plums_deify
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by plums_deify »

Just an FYI: Brickcon's overarching them is "Happy Anniversary!" as this is our 10th year and Seattle's beloved Space Needle hits 50.

My suggestions:

-If you want to do LCC, that's great and fine, but I'm hesitant to make it ALL that. Because remember, people contribute to the castle display that aren't active CC members, if they're registered at all.

-Also, make it Base-8, as we have in previous years, to make it easier to make modules to fill in spaces and stuff like that.

Yep. :)
Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Be Smart. Be evil.

Sister Brick @ [url=http://www.brothers-brick.com]The Brothers Brick[/url]!
AK_Brickster
Admin
Admin

Post by AK_Brickster »

Oh, absolutely! I don't want to take over the whole layout...this year, anyway :halo:
Fraslund
Robin Goodfellow

Post by Fraslund »

I have already sent Josh my layout. Basically it will be 4 -32x32 baseplates wide by 6 - 32x32 deep. The front will be a medieval village with each building about 8x8 inches and 12-15 inches tall. The rear section will be forest transitioning into a mountain and bridge with a large Castle Facade reaching roughly 3 feet tall.

I have about 5 of 7 buildings done and half of the landscape baseplate elevation done. (no detail yet)

AK_Brickster
Admin
Admin

Post by AK_Brickster »

And of course it's controlled by kingdoms dragons. My lions may have to mount an assault from one side of your display :twisted:

Looking good!

How much room do we have if you have this one and Frank has a 90" width taken up? I assume Alice's Hogwarts will be in the mix as well
Fraslund
Robin Goodfellow

Post by Fraslund »

AK_Brickster wrote:And of course it's controlled by kingdoms dragons. My lions may have to mount an assault from one side of your display :twisted:

Looking good!

How much room do we have if you have this one and Frank has a 90" width taken up? I assume Alice's Hogwarts will be in the mix as well
That is why I let Josh know as early as possible so they could plan accordingly. I will keep the AoE display on the small side as we dicussed. I already feel bad about how much space i am using, but I am excited to show this in October!
Tedward
Squire

Post by Tedward »

AK_Brickster wrote:...the other idea that's on the table is the Age of Empires layout.
Whoops sorry, that was what I was thinking about. I have not really been following these projects. :oops:
Sir_Darc
Freeman

Post by Sir_Darc »

Fraslund wrote:I have already sent Josh my layout. Basically it will be 4 -32x32 baseplates wide by 6 - 32x32 deep. The front will be a medieval village with each building about 8x8 inches and 12-15 inches tall. The rear section will be forest transitioning into a mountain and bridge with a large Castle Facade reaching roughly 3 feet tall.

I have about 5 of 7 buildings done and half of the landscape baseplate elevation done. (no detail yet)
Crap, you're further along than me... and I have more to do!

I'll have a more detailed layout eventually, but it's looking like a 60"x80" footprint right now.
- Jubal
ffilz
Foot Soldier

Post by ffilz »

Is anyone working on Base-8 modular stuff anymore, or are folks just making the edges of their big displays Base-8 compatible?

I like working in Base-8 modular because then I can continue adding to my display, and re-configure it as necessary given space constraints and new stuff I want to display.

Frank