How come...

Discussion of topics concerning life in the middle ages around the world, including architecture, history, and warfare.
Remyth
Trade King
Location: At the corner of Nowhere Avenue and Not Close to Anything Street

Post by Remyth »

I am not 100% sure why I like castle stuff so much, but it could come from a few different things.

1) Some of my ancestors where guards to the King of present-day Germany.

2) I learned about it in school and it kinda hooked me.

3) I don't know. Just reading books, hearing about it... whatever...

In Christ,
Thomas Wunz <><

"A nameless, shapeless beast from the dark underside of Chat." - Josh Wedin

[url=http://flickr.com/photos/11381994@N00/]Flickr[/url]
Sir Kohran
Sheriff

Post by Sir Kohran »

I noticed a couple of people referred to Britain and Ireland as inspiration - which is very true. There is quite a bit of history around here - I live just a few miles away from Bodiam Castle and as kids my friends and I would often have battles around there (when we didn't get caught there). Also, classical literature is a biggie - MacBeth, Le Morte d'Arthur, The Lord Of The Rings and The Iliad were all epics I read over the last decade or so. Films are there too - along with PJ's trilogy, Excalibur was a big favourite of mine, as well as Gladiator. All these influences just made me kind of naturally become a Middle Ages nutter (though I love all periods of history).

- Matt
Last edited by Sir Kohran on Wed Jul 11, 2007 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
E of Alshire
Merchant

Post by E of Alshire »

I used to be much more into space. I seem to remember switching to castle because it was much easier to regulate (nuh uh, my ship has sheilds!) when battling.
Quickblade22
22 times da man

Post by Quickblade22 »

I'm going to blame this one on the media :) Most Americans have European ancestery, so a lot of what Hollywood produced by predominatly European-Americans involed castles and medieval history/fiction. Plus we have a sick facination for history :P For me personally, when I was a kid I liked the shiny armor, and the whole hero saves the princess thing. Actually, I still like those things.
Chief Smithy of Brick Forge
I buy LEGO, I play with LEGO, therefore LEGO are not for children, they are for me!
Damien
Grammer Guru

Post by Damien »

I think that's really an impossible question to answer. Watch:

"Why do you like cheeseburgers?"

People like what they like. I mean, so what if people in North America have no castles? We have no Elves either, and many North Americans love fantasy. It's just about what appeals to you.

So why do I have a love of European history and LEGO Castle? Well, just because I do.
Forge not works of art but swords of death, for therein lies great art.
"The Gods made heavy metal and they saw that it was good." - Manowar
Aliencat
Josh's Minion

Post by Aliencat »

Damien wrote:I think that's really an impossible question to answer. Watch:

"Why do you like cheeseburgers?"

People like what they like. I mean, so what if people in North America have no castles? We have no Elves either, and many North Americans love fantasy. It's just about what appeals to you.

So why do I have a love of European history and LEGO Castle? Well, just because I do.
The question wasn't really "Why do you like it?", that would be an impossible question to answer for some people indeed.
The question was in fact "What got you into it?/What got you started on it?"
Maedhros
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Re: How come...

Post by Maedhros »

Tanotrooper wrote:... that all the Americans here have such an interest in the European Middle Ages? As there is no sign of knights or any castles in your lands, how did you became a castle fan?
Well, I live in Sweden (and except a trip to the Eastern parts of Istanbul I've never been outside Europe ;)) but it's an interesting question anyway. And I for one can say that my interest in Castle has nothing whatsoever to do with me being a Swede (we don't even have that many castles here, but I know it's different in the UK). What got me into Castle (and playing Knights at all through my childhood) were mainly novels and movies about Robin Hood, Crusades etc, and of course fantasy with Tolkien being the most important influence.

Nowadays it's still more of a general interest for history that drives me but I have still never done anything with my own history (a diorama of Gustav Vasa beating up the Danes? :P). When the Vikings finally came I even gave them warpaint and used them as Celts... So actually I don't think ancestry matters that much.....
"Hinc satis elucet maiorem habere uim ad discenda ista liberam curiositatem quam meticulosam necessitatem.”
- Augustinus Hipponensis
Damien
Grammer Guru

Post by Damien »

The question was in fact "What got you into it?/What got you started on it?"
Quite right! In my sleep deprevation, I completely misread the question. Wow. See, I shouldn't post without sleeping first. Maybe it's time for a power nap.

On topic. .

I honestly don't remember. My earliest memories involve all things medieval. I was drawing swords and stick-figure knights before I knew what they really were, and I kept the "K" Encyclopedia in my bedroom so I could look at the 'Knight' entry all the time. I must have been. . 3 at that time? Maybe just hitting 4.

Medieval history has just been something I loved for as long as I can remember. I don't think anything in particular really 'got me into it.' Although I'm sure growing up with Thundercats and He-Man helped. Heroes with swords helps to foster that interest in medieval European history, I suppose.
Jojo
Master

Post by Jojo »

Hello!

...by the way, not all Europeans do have castles nearby. At least I don't. I have been in only two ruined castles in 30 years of living. And that’s while we have a ruine of a Saxon (as in ”Saxon“, not as in ”Anglosaxon“) refuge castle nearby, it’s part of the commune even. There’s not much to see, though (I only know that from pictures), only an old church survived. I really want to visit Wartburg Castle and Burg Eltz someday.

So my interest in Lego Castle was sparked by books mainly. My dad read to me German heroic sagas and the fairy tales by the Brothers Grimm. I should mention Astrid Lindgren’s ”Ronja rövardotter“ as well (Ronia the Robber's Daughter). That was enough to make me be in awe when Lego released the grey Castles in 1984.

Bye
Jojo
 This is just the sort of nonsense up with which I will not put.
Winston Churchill
psu_ericksen
Foot Soldier

Post by psu_ericksen »

As long as I can remember, I've always been interested in castles. And all it took was for me to see Image on the shelf and I was hooked on LEGO castle.
Bruce N H wrote:I remember checking that out from my grade school library again and again.
So you're the one that had the book when it was unavailable for me to check out again and again! :D Actually, I think it was because of this book that I developed an interest in castles.

Sean
"All my life I've had one dream...to acheive my many goals." - HJS

Visit my Brickshelf gallery.
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=108432
wunztwice
Knight Bannerett

Post by wunztwice »

Athos wrote:Maybe its because we don't have any castles of our own, so we have to build them from Lego?

Personally, I'm just into history. So I like all the historical themes. I've got most every set of all the historical themes (Ninja, Pirate, Adventurers, Wild West and Castle).

Steve

I'm definitely with Steve on this one. The lack of said castles has always been a key element in my fascination with the LEGO version.
I've also always just been a history geek. WWII and medieval periods primarily, both heavily European (I know, Pacific theatre...)
I still remember my 2nd grade teacher 'consulting' me on castle facts in class, I felt sooo cool. :roll:

Anyways, I do think a big part of it is the lack of castle-ness here in the US that is a big factor. They're romantic, and mysterious, and so forth, so those are my thoughts. :wink:
in His grip, Chris

Feed my hobby? [url=http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=wunztwice]My Bricklink[/url]

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/wunztwice]My Flickr![/url]
[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/wunztwice/]My Brickshelf![/url](not updated...)
<><
Damien
Grammer Guru

Post by Damien »

I still remember my 2nd grade teacher 'consulting' me on castle facts in class, I felt sooo cool.
Haha! Hey, that is cool.

I was made temporary teacher's assistant for medieval month in my own school. . 7th grade, as I recall.
Bruce N H
Precentor of the Scriptorium

Post by Bruce N H »

Jojo wrote: I have been in only two ruined castles in 30 years of living.
Really?!!?! If I was in your position I'd spend every spare weekend checking out whatever medieval architecture I could find. On my one trip to Europe after graduating from college, we flew into Frankfurt. Our first stop off the train was in Heidelburg, and there's a great set of ruins overlooking the town. Then it was on to Munich, where we took a side trip to Neuschwanstein (I know, not really built during the medieval period), and we then travelled down into Austria, with the great castle over Salzburg and then Vienna, with palaces and a couple of great churches.
Jojo wrote: So my interest in Lego Castle was sparked by books mainly. ... I should mention Astrid Lindgren’s ”Ronja rövardotter“ as well (Ronia the Robber's Daughter).
Did you ever see this MOC that I linked to last year?

Bruce
[url=http://comicbricks.blogspot.com/]ComicBricks[/url] [url=http://godbricks.blogspot.com/]GodBricks[/url] [url=http://microbricks.blogspot.com/]MicroBricks[/url] [url=http://minilandbricks.blogspot.com/]MinilandBricks[/url] [url=http://scibricks.blogspot.com/]SciBricks[/url] [url=http://vignettebricks.blogspot.com/]VignetteBricks[/url] [url=http://www.classic-castle.com/bricktales/]Brick Tales[/url]
Maedhros
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Maedhros »

Bruce N H wrote:
Jojo wrote: I have been in only two ruined castles in 30 years of living.
Really?!!?! If I was in your position I'd spend every spare weekend checking out whatever medieval architecture I could find.
Actually Europe isn't as full of medieval architecture as you Americans think ;)

The only times I've seen a lot of it have been on my trips to Wales and Toledo (Spain). Of course there are castles, but they are quite far between (if you don't end up in Wales, Scotland or so)...
"Hinc satis elucet maiorem habere uim ad discenda ista liberam curiositatem quam meticulosam necessitatem.”
- Augustinus Hipponensis
The_Vanquished
Artisan

Re: How come...

Post by The_Vanquished »

Tanotrooper wrote:... that all the Americans here have such an interest in the European Middle Ages? As there is no sign of knights or any castles in your lands, how did you became a castle fan?

Gaetano
I think it was the lack of castles that got me interested. I was mistified at the thought of giant buildings made of stone, without any machines.
wrap me in a bolt of lightning,
send me on my way still smiling,
maybe that's the way i should go:
straight into the mouth of the unknown....