Chain Mail Exercise

Discussion of topics concerning life in the middle ages around the world, including architecture, history, and warfare.
Velliscig
Artisan

Chain Mail Exercise

Post by Velliscig »

Hey this is kind of off topic completely, but I was thinking of jogging with my chainmail on for a good work out. Anyone think thats a good idea? I think its sweet. And what kind of stud would I be - running around my neighborhood with chainmail on... Oh yeah ! :wink:
Princess_C
Freeman

Post by Princess_C »

Maille is pretty heavy (20 pounds). Might not sound like a lot but getting maille on is no easy feat. You need at least 2 people just to get it on you. I would consult a doctor before doing something like that.
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jedispring/]My Gallery[/url]
LEGOFREAK
noy dna rehtih

Post by LEGOFREAK »

just maille?? :shock:

dude - you'll rip out yer chest hairs.. and other bits!! I'd suggest going at night, so's you wouldn't offend the ladies and kiddies, but running 'round at night in maille'd probably get you arrested. Probably some law against it somewheres...
Odysseus
Laborer

Post by Odysseus »

Princess_C wrote:Maille is pretty heavy (20 pounds). Might not sound like a lot but getting maille on is no easy feat. You need at least 2 people just to get it on you. I would consult a doctor before doing something like that.
I doubt he would need two people to help him. Lots of people wear chain maille (reenactors, SCA people, Historical European Martial Artists, etc.) and I doubt they consult a physician ahead of time unless they have a physical condition that would warrant such. It never hurts to consult a physician before beginning a diet or work out plan, but still...

Jonathan
TaltosVT
Gong Farmer

Post by TaltosVT »

Odysseus wrote:
Princess_C wrote:Maille is pretty heavy (20 pounds). Might not sound like a lot but getting maille on is no easy feat. You need at least 2 people just to get it on you. I would consult a doctor before doing something like that.
I doubt he would need two people to help him.
I can verify that. My roommate in college hand made his own chain mail (full length from about mid-thigh to the top of his head, with full sleeves). He could easily slip into and out of it himself. After college, he used it as a sort of measuring device. If he couldn't fit into his armor, it was time to go work out.

As for running in it, he said that once it's on, it doesn't really feel that heavy. No worse than carrying a backpack full of books. Keep in mind that even if it doesn't feel heavy, you are still adding the weight, which could affect your knees in nasty ways.
Velliscig
Artisan

Post by Velliscig »

I have worn it before, to medieval fair, around the neighborhood, etc. So i understand how you could think it takes 2 people to put it on, but it doesn't. You kind of have to slide into it. :)

-- Although getting it off is another matter!
Adam
Laborer

Post by Adam »

is it a shirt/vest/coif?
and LEGOFREAK has a point, it does pull out hairs
and it whould probably look silly :P
"if its stupid but it works, it isn't stupid."
Odysseus
Laborer

Post by Odysseus »

That is why one would wear some type of arming garment underneath! :o
g2
Sir Postsalot

Post by g2 »

Enjoy your jog dude. 8)
Velliscig
Artisan

Post by Velliscig »

I will, if i do it after all lol. :)
Damien
Grammer Guru

Post by Damien »

Shouldn't be a problem provided you are already in decent physical condition. I would regularly exercise in full kit and it never caused me any problems. The added weight, provided it is historically accurate mail (and not the 50+ pound garbage sold in some places) shouldn't significantly hamper someone in good condition. Most of the weight is held on the shoulders, and added weight in your upper body will be a bit harder on your knees and ankles. So if you have any issues with those three regions, I would not suggest it.

But if you're in good health, the added weight will just make for a slightly more vigorous exercise routine. And of course, if you can't run and move comfortably in mail, you have no business wearing mail anyway. I suggest putting on your mail and moving around a bit - jog in place for a minute or two, things like that. You'll quickly know whether or not you will be comfortable wearing it during a prolonged exercise.
Forge not works of art but swords of death, for therein lies great art.
"The Gods made heavy metal and they saw that it was good." - Manowar
ottoatm
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by ottoatm »

Well, I notice that many have focused on whether it could be done... but what about if it should be done? :D

Man, if I was your neighbor and I saw you trotting around in chain mail, I might be a bit concerned. :wink:
Knight Templar
n. pl. Knights Templars or Knights Templar
1.A member of an order of knights founded about 1118 to protect pilgrims in the Holy Land during the Second Crusade.

[url=http://legelot.50webs.com/mainPages/myStory.html]My Lego Stories: The Land of Legelot![/url]
[url=http://z13.invisionfree.com/Castle_World]CW-THE Lego Story Writer's Guild[/url]
Tower of Iron Will
Master

Post by Tower of Iron Will »

This idea makes me think of news reports in the past where someone takes a Katana and starts chasing people with it. I think there are more pratical alternatives available without the local sheriffs confiscating your armor.
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely!

Despise learning and make everyone pay for your ignorance.

The water that floats a ship is the same that sinks it.

My LEGO figures keep me from being evil, drat!!
Count Blacktron
Sheriff

Post by Count Blacktron »

I think the sweatyness of said excercise might require a decent oiling of said mail coat upon competion of the event. Also, consider attracting many glances as you jingle down the block. :lol:

Some mail garments look more painful than others, that girl in the mail bikini at a Ren. Faire when I was younger springs to mind. Not sure how that affected her tan lines, or how sunscreen would affect the armour, which may be of consideration to you if you plan on working in broad daylight.
Crazylegoman
Bailiff

Post by Crazylegoman »

Well, this post certainly brought a laugh/smile to my face!

I assume that what you have is a large coif or chain shirt? Anything longer than that, like a hauberk, would interfere with your running movement. The amount of exercise that it adds to your run will depend on what it's made of. Steel mail or mail made of thick rings would be heavier, whereas aluminum mail or mail made of thin rings would be lighter. I have a long coif that's made of aluminum rings, and I've worn it for hours at a time. The thing I had to worry about wasn't the weight but the erosion of the metal onto my skin. Aluminum usually looks all clean and shiny, but when you rub it on yourself for a while, your skin turns black, and it takes more than a water rinse to get it off. Of course, if you are black, then this might not be a concern.

I wouldn't worry about "local sheriffs confiscating your armor" or anything like that. There aren't any laws against wearing armor that's purely defensive. A cop might ask you what you're doing, yes, but arrest you, no.

...and if you have a girl who tells you that they saw you jogging in chain mail and thought that you were a total stud, hang on to her--she's a kepper! :D

David
♪ "Whether I'm the last one alive, or ascend before my time
Better I'm the last one alive, than a soul denied" ♫ —Demon Hunter