factions... did they ever exist?

Discussion of topics concerning life in the middle ages around the world, including architecture, history, and warfare.
Ye Olde Republic
Marquis of Brique

Post by Ye Olde Republic »

Wow, this was a really interesting read. I've always thought that 'Crusaders versus Black Falcons' was a bit over simplified and cartoonish (not a bad thing for a LEGOverse). Even with my moderate knowledge of medieval history, this all seemed a bit off so I've always thought of it as: all the LEGO soldier with the same torso are mercenaries employed by a king, lord or whomever. Said king would of course provide a tunic with his coat of arms on it to the soldiers he's paying to protect his castle, land and serfs.
I've thought that to be an acceptable combination of history and hollywood and it put's my brain at ease.

Trevor
Trevor

Trust me, I think I'm funnier than you do.
Why do I have to add the word "minifig" to my spell checker every time I use it?!

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/old_republic/]flickr[/url]
[url=http://angrylegonerd.blogspot.com/]My blog[/url]
Papy.G
Laborer

Re: factions... did they ever exist?

Post by Papy.G »

ottoatm wrote:One thing that has always confused me, I must confess, is how in the world all the knights and warriors could tell who was on who's side with all the different colors and heraldry. :)
Beside with everything said about people knowing each other while going to war, there were war shouts or jingles, or gimmicks, I don't know the english word for that, but when someone's shouting it, you don't doubt anymore if you must fight against or with him.

Ye Olde Republic>
Some soldier were borrowed by Nobles or other, and keep ability to wear their own coat of arms, Swiss Guards are a good example, from the renaissance to today, where they still defend the Vatican.
"I got to brick free!" Freddie Mercury
[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=PapyG]My Brickshelf[/url]
BrianofBrick06
Foot Soldier

Re: factions... did they ever exist?

Post by BrianofBrick06 »

Since this topic has been given some new life, I might as well add my opinion. I think all of the discussion so far has been very interesting, and I have even learned a thing or two from my fellow CCer's. After reading through everyones comments (which I did in order to decide if any changes needed to be made to my lego kingdoms), i decided that the lego armies in my lego world take on a bit more of a fantasy appeal. Most of my armies are rather unified in appearance, but such similarity in outfits has been done so simply because their leaders can equip them with such monotony. Thus, i refute Beelzy...actually I did not mean to wander off topic... wait, ah yes... Thus, the design behind my armies is the fantasy creation of my mind, and yes they do often wear similar outfits... :)