Golden Compass

Discussion of topics concerning life in the middle ages around the world, including architecture, history, and warfare.
Lord Nev
Reeve

Golden Compass

Post by Lord Nev »

So this new movie's coming out and it's looks really cool! It's based on Philip Pullman's "The Golden Compass" the first in the His Dark Meterials trilogy. It's a steampunk world. Thought all you "punks" would like that. I'm already working on some figs. Here's the link to the movie site.

http://www.goldencompassmovie.com/

This'd make a great line for LEGO. I know I'd buy them.
Beware the day my soul is unleashed. Not even Megablocks itself will rival its fire!
Adam
Laborer

Post by Adam »

eh.. looks a little too crazy for me.
"if its stupid but it works, it isn't stupid."
Donut
Councilor

Post by Donut »

Yea its very weird, witches, polar bears, and cowboys?! It will be interesting reading the critics' reviews once it comes out.
LEGO --- Impossible is Nothing.
natepc
Peasant

Post by natepc »

I am fairly excited for this film, having read the books when they came out a few years ago. I'm sure I'll be disappointed at the liberal changes they make from the books, but once I get over that, I expect nothing but good things. I highly suggest reading the book before seeing the movie, thing tend to make more sense that way. Good advice for any book-based film, I think. Even my wife is looking forward to it!

Nate C^2
Nate PC
------
[url=http://flickr.com/photos/natepc]Flickr[/url]
JPinoy
Knight Bannerett

Post by JPinoy »

Interesting looking movie...
Peoples_General, master of the vast LEGO armies!
[url]http://www.bricklink.com/aboutMe.asp?u=Peoples_General[/url]
Behold! The mighty armies of my ORIGIN theme!
[url]http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.c ... lesGeneral[/url]
HeartOfDarkness
Reeve

Post by HeartOfDarkness »

I'm actually quite offended by this movie. The author of the book, Phillip Pullman, stated that the purpose of the His Dark Materials trilogy was to dissuade children from the Christian faith. Having read the books myself, I know for a fact that they are extremely anti-Christian. I'm quite amazed that this movie hasn't generated more controversy.
Sir Kohran
Sheriff

Post by Sir Kohran »

HeartOfDarkness wrote:I'm actually quite offended by this movie. The author of the book, Phillip Pullman, stated that the purpose of the His Dark Materials trilogy was to dissuade children from the Christian faith. Having read the books myself, I know for a fact that they are extremely anti-Christian. I'm quite amazed that this movie hasn't generated more controversy.
They are indeed very anti-Christian. The good guys are the 'rebel angels', who are trying to spread knowledge and independence - essentially demons are implied as being good for rebelling against God. In the last lines, they decide to build 'the republic of heaven' - basically a society without a single ruler, without God.

I quite agree with you on the last part. Why Harry Potter received so much criticism for showing kids waving sticks and yet this got away with the angel Metatron as the main villain is beyond me.

Apologies if any of this crosses the line in terms of rules. No offense intended.

- Matt
Lord Nev
Reeve

Post by Lord Nev »

I've read them as well. The movie looks pretty well done, but they're going to tone down the "religious themes" in it. I'm glad at that. Nice of the director to think ahead. Instead of the church being the main foe, it's just the Magisterium. I'd love to see how they'd get away with a movie about a war with God.

I always thought Pullman was talkin about the Catholic church, not Christianity. I guess he was referring to both.

Altho, the daemon concept is kinda cool I'm not gonna lie.
Beware the day my soul is unleashed. Not even Megablocks itself will rival its fire!
natepc
Peasant

Post by natepc »

Coincedentally, my family just started discussing this, and found some interesting things. My mom got an email where many of Pullman's words were taken out of context and blown out of proportion. His main theme was ignorance vs knowledge, and a system to control everything. Really not so much different than many dystopian novels. I'll rummage around and try and find the original interview. Rather than start a debate on religion, I'll just let his words do the talking.

I am a Christian myself, so naturally I don't agree with everything Pullman says, but I think that people are just generally over reacting and looking for something to feel upset about. If it offends you, don't see it. The first book, by far the best of the three, is really an excellent read. If nothing else, give it a quick scan.

edit: The Pullman interview:

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2003/12/ ... 44900.html
Nate PC
------
[url=http://flickr.com/photos/natepc]Flickr[/url]
Tower of Iron Will
Master

Post by Tower of Iron Will »

Sir Kohran wrote:
HeartOfDarkness wrote:I'm actually quite offended by this movie. The author of the book, Phillip Pullman, stated that the purpose of the His Dark Materials trilogy was to dissuade children from the Christian faith. Having read the books myself, I know for a fact that they are extremely anti-Christian. I'm quite amazed that this movie hasn't generated more controversy.
They are indeed very anti-Christian. The good guys are the 'rebel angels', who are trying to spread knowledge and independence - essentially demons are implied as being good for rebelling against God. In the last lines, they decide to build 'the republic of heaven' - basically a society without a single ruler, without God.

I quite agree with you on the last part. Why Harry Potter received so much criticism for showing kids waving sticks and yet this got away with the angel Metatron as the main villain is beyond me.

Apologies if any of this crosses the line in terms of rules. No offense intended.

- Matt
I'll let the admins decide if your (or mine for that matter) comment violates anything, but be warned that people need to make their own decisions about the movie. Labeling this movie as "Anti-Christian" will cause some to dismiss it just by hearing that label. I am happy to go to the church I choose as well as the movies I choose. I also like watching movies that intially I think that I may not like just to experience differing viewpoints. Most kids won't pick up on an anti-christian theme unless their parents mention it. Personally, I wish members would not bring debates about God to this site.

But, I think to re-direct this post in a more LEGO positive way I agree that this could be a good source of new figures if LEGO makes this a new line. I look forward to seeing the figures you come up with, Lord Nev. Thanks for the fyi about the movie. :)
-Tower
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely!

Despise learning and make everyone pay for your ignorance.

The water that floats a ship is the same that sinks it.

My LEGO figures keep me from being evil, drat!!
ericgizmo
Freeman

Post by ericgizmo »

I dont know about this movie there is talking animals, weird polar bears, pirates, russians, count doku, witches that fly, weird machienary, a compass(whop-de-o), some 60's lady, cowboys, animals that folow people(now that must be annyoing), british people, and weird creatures.

doesnt that polar bear die from the heat. how does he go to cowboy land were its hot! and doesnt that girl get cold in the snow!

I think this is made by the people of lord of the rings.

the writer must of had an big imaganation!

why is it rated pg13 just for fantasy viloence

anyway i am probbaly going to see :D
Luke I am your father! Join me and receive a free toaster!
Sir Kohran
Sheriff

Post by Sir Kohran »

talking animals, weird polar bears, pirates, russians, count doku, witches that fly, weird machienary, a compass(whop-de-o), some 60's lady, cowboys, animals that folow people(now that must be annyoing), british people, and weird creatures.
Good heavens, I didn't realise we were considered to be so strange :shock:

The first book is a bit ridiculous, but really it's not much weirder than Harry Potter or any other fantasy series.

- Matt
Asterios
Solecist

Post by Asterios »

Ok essentially i have not read the book or seen the movie ,but a little bit of back History the Church (Roman Catholic Diocese) Was very anti-Technology or Anti-Science,so i'm guessing thats what the Basis of this book is about since the Church considered Science and Technology tools of the Devil,too which we all know such backward thinking would have us still in the stone age.
Lord of the Armies

and

Master of the Domain
Sir Kohran
Sheriff

Post by Sir Kohran »

Asterios wrote:Ok essentially i have not read the book or seen the movie ,but a little bit of back History the Church (Roman Catholic Diocese) Was very anti-Technology or Anti-Science,so i'm guessing thats what the Basis of this book is about since the Church considered Science and Technology tools of the Devil,too which we all know such backward thinking would have us still in the stone age.
I don't think you can say what the basis of the book is if you haven't actually read it.

As far as I know, the basis for the book is this: the author, Pullman, is a militant atheist, so in his books God and the church are shown as oppressive tyrants and Satan as a good guy trying to spread independence and knowledge.

Whilst there are the infamous cases of Galileo and Darwin, I don't think the Church in general was ever 'anti-technology' or 'anti-science'. Remember that many of the famous scientists of the last few hundred years were religious people.

- Matt
Asterios
Solecist

Post by Asterios »

Sir Kohran wrote:
Asterios wrote:Ok essentially i have not read the book or seen the movie ,but a little bit of back History the Church (Roman Catholic Diocese) Was very anti-Technology or Anti-Science,so i'm guessing thats what the Basis of this book is about since the Church considered Science and Technology tools of the Devil,too which we all know such backward thinking would have us still in the stone age.
I don't think you can say what the basis of the book is if you haven't actually read it.

As far as I know, the basis for the book is this: the author, Pullman, is a militant atheist, so in his books God and the church are shown as oppressive tyrants and Satan as a good guy trying to spread independence and knowledge.

Whilst there are the infamous cases of Galileo and Darwin, I don't think the Church in general was ever 'anti-technology' or 'anti-science'. Remember that many of the famous scientists of the last few hundred years were religious people.

- Matt
I'd have to disagree while I am Christian I am anti-Churchianity which is against what Jesus taught and God meant,the Church was created by Man not God and not endorsed by God,but thats my opinion and should not be considered Fact,furthermore you Quote only Galileo and Darwin but you forget many others like Sir Isaac Newton who was excommunicated by the Pope for his Heretical leanings in Science like Gravity.
Lord of the Armies

and

Master of the Domain