Golden Compass

Discussion of topics concerning life in the middle ages around the world, including architecture, history, and warfare.
Lord Brian
Serf

Post by Lord Brian »

That book is very offensive to me. It is such a shame, the idea of having young children view the movies, reading the books. These kind of things put faith in question, and I do not think it right for a young child to be having internal battles of what to believe.
"Only with the spirit of his ancestors and the might of the Sacred Blade could he emerge victorious."
Jansen
Steward
Location: Pondering the paradox of organic American cheese...

Post by Jansen »

Love these series, and they have a good theme to them. A nice plot line and a dimension-spanning storyline are enjoyable. The underlying message, questioning of accepted beliefs, makes this book great, IMO.
Lord Brian wrote:That book is very offensive to me. It is such a shame, the idea of having young children view the movies, reading the books. These kind of things put faith in question, and I do not think it right for a young child to be having internal battles of what to believe.
People, children in this case, thinking on their own and deciding what to believe is offensive? So young children should have their minds shaped by growing up listening to other people telling them what to believe, accepting faith and beliefs without ever questioning them? If all children were to grow up like this, I am afraid their would be so much dogma I couldn't stand it.
"An apple a day keeps people deathly-allergic to apples away."
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/gusalagupagoo/]flickr[/url]