Peter Jackson returns to the fold

Discussion of topics concerning life in the middle ages around the world, including architecture, history, and warfare.
Quickblade22
22 times da man

Post by Quickblade22 »

Just updating on some recent news concerning this upcoming movie. Director Guillermo Del Toro will be directing the 2 movies. Read for yourself the details.

Also since we're on the subject of The Hobbit, I thought it'd be fun to revist this MOC by one of our members Image
Chief Smithy of Brick Forge
I buy LEGO, I play with LEGO, therefore LEGO are not for children, they are for me!
castlebuilder100
Man-At-Arms

Post by castlebuilder100 »

I saw this. However, Peter Jackson will be the producer. Oh and by the way I hope to build some MOCs on The Hobbit before the movies come out. :D
Tower of Iron Will
Master

Post by Tower of Iron Will »

Quickblade22 wrote:Just updating on some recent news concerning this upcoming movie. Director Guillermo Del Toro will be directing the 2 movies. Read for yourself the details.

Also since we're on the subject of The Hobbit, I thought it'd be fun to revist this MOC by one of our members Image
Thanks to Quick blade for bringing up those "Bag End" MOC picks. I don't think I had seen those before, they are beautiful...
-Tower
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely!

Despise learning and make everyone pay for your ignorance.

The water that floats a ship is the same that sinks it.

My LEGO figures keep me from being evil, drat!!
Blue Head
Steward

Post by Blue Head »

I might be able to create a 'golum' character. Hmmmm. i'll get building :D.

Blue <><
Heir of Black Falcon
Justiciar

Post by Heir of Black Falcon »

Did you hear that G del Toro was signed this week to direct by MGM and New Line?

Also PJ and the rest who worked on the orignal movie's script as well as G del Toro will write the screen play.

PJ and Fran Walsh will be Exec producers.

If you liked the LotR movies seems like the Hobbit two will be to your liking. I am really looking forward to them to be honest. G del Toro does seem a bit more dark then PJ but I hope that does not affect the Hobbit too much as it is a rather light hearted book for the most part. Maybe it will make it less for children.

Either way last week Guillermo moved to New Zealand last week so looks like the clocks ticking.

R
Quickblade22
22 times da man

Post by Quickblade22 »

Here's some more news that I picked up today. Breath of fresh air . It seems that Ian McKellan and Andy Serkis will more than likley be in it, like I predicted :wink: Continuity seems to be on the right track as far as the previous films go. Also, I was ticked to find out that last week, Sean Astin was at a local bar in my town. Would've loved to met him. Anyways, here is another neat MOC from Remyth, for those that haven't already seen it.

Chief Smithy of Brick Forge
I buy LEGO, I play with LEGO, therefore LEGO are not for children, they are for me!
castlebuilder100
Man-At-Arms

Oh thank goodness :D . I have been worrying about this since I heard that the movie was coming out. I am a huge LOTR and Hobbit fan(movies and books) and would be very dissapointed if the movies did not mesh.

Oh and that MOC by Remyth is pretty good but the doorknob is not in the middle of the door. It should be right in the center of the door. :wink:
Bruce N H
Precentor of the Scriptorium

Post by Bruce N H »

Hey,

This sound interesting. When I first heard there were to be 2 movies I was concerned, as the Hobbit is significantly shorter than Fellowship. Even though they cut parts of the Fellowship for the movie (most notably anything around the Old Forest, plus things like the Warg attack), it would have still taken a lot of padding to stretch the Hobbit over two full movies.

I'm concerned about that second movie. In many ways what makes the Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings so compelling are the humble characters. In the books, almost every scene is told through the eyes of the lowest character - usually a hobbit, or Gimli in the scenes with Gimli, Legolas and Aragorn. While we admire the high and heroic figures, we connect more strongly with the lower ones. Even as Frodo becomes more heroic and removed, the perspective switches to Sam's eyes. So a movie told around the story of Aragorn, or of Gandalf and the White Council, or whatever, might be a harder sell. Plus there is not such a straight narrative to follow, as there were all these different things going on between the unexpected and long-expected parties.

BTW, Danielas, why not just read the book if you want to know the "real" history behind the witch king? It's only been out now for about 50 years.

Bruce
[url=http://comicbricks.blogspot.com/]ComicBricks[/url] [url=http://godbricks.blogspot.com/]GodBricks[/url] [url=http://microbricks.blogspot.com/]MicroBricks[/url] [url=http://minilandbricks.blogspot.com/]MinilandBricks[/url] [url=http://scibricks.blogspot.com/]SciBricks[/url] [url=http://vignettebricks.blogspot.com/]VignetteBricks[/url] [url=http://www.classic-castle.com/bricktales/]Brick Tales[/url]
castlebuilder100
Man-At-Arms

Bruce N H wrote: BTW, Danielas, why not just read the book if you want to know the "real" history behind the witch king? It's only been out now for about 50 years.
Bruce
Yes, everyone should read the book. I am currently re-reading it.
The Blue Knight
Merchant

Post by The Blue Knight »

Bruce N H wrote:Hey,
I'm concerned about that second movie. In many ways what makes the Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings so compelling are the humble characters. In the books, almost every scene is told through the eyes of the lowest character - usually a hobbit, or Gimli in the scenes with Gimli, Legolas and Aragorn. While we admire the high and heroic figures, we connect more strongly with the lower ones. Even as Frodo becomes more heroic and removed, the perspective switches to Sam's eyes. So a movie told around the story of Aragorn, or of Gandalf and the White Council, or whatever, might be a harder sell.

Bruce
This is an interesting take on the nature of the narrative. I agree. This is undoubtedly one of the reasons for it's universal acceptance. You've made something intangible (for me at least) something I can put my finger on.

I'm also a little concerned about the second movie. Now if the first movie included stories like Beren and Luthien, and my favorite least-likeable hero, Turin, and then the second movie was The Hobbit then I would be thrilled. What will the story of the second be? A series of short vignettes might be great for Tolkien-philes, but not for the general population. I imagine there will be some battles.

One way or the other it does recall to a certain extent my building excitement for the LOTR movies. It ought to be a fun several years.
Men who lie, merely hide the truth; but men who tell half-lies, have forgotten where they put it--Samuel Clemens
porschecm2
Councilor

Post by porschecm2 »

I would be alot more worried, were not del Toro directing. I absolutely love Hellboy and Pan's Labyrinth, and I think he's got a good grasp on how to create mature fantasy.

As for there being two movies rather than one, I think that can be a good thing. Of course, the reason they're doing it is, I'm sure, simply to make more money, but this can be a boon to fans. Hopefully they won't leave anything out now. Of course, it could be awful, but I prefer to think on the bright side.

Cm2
[img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/porschecm ... onal.1.png[/img]
Think twice. Post once.
Constructum excellentia!
Danielas
Steward

Post by Danielas »

Bruce N H wrote:Hey,

BTW, Danielas, why not just read the book if you want to know the "real" history behind the witch king? It's only been out now for about 50 years.

Bruce
Yea i did soon after i posted that it is in the epilogue.
God Bless. Danielas

Procrastinators Unite!!!!

(tomorrow)

Proud soldier of Classic-Castle. As in, I fight against the Legion of the Aggie.
wobnam
Master Liliputian
Master Liliputian

Post by wobnam »

James McAvoy is rumored to play Bilbo. Very good choice, in my opinion; he's a good actor, he looks like a Hobbit, and he's british.
Heir of Black Falcon
Justiciar

Post by Heir of Black Falcon »

Yeah James just denied he was signed to be Bilbo... that said it may be that A) he has not been asked B) he has been asked and was asked to keep it secret C) He has not signed and decided best to wait until after D) all of the above. I am sure there are more. I'd think he'd be good as Bilbo but I guess we will wait and see. I just hope they keep Beorn in the movies!

R
Muskey15
Journeyman

Post by Muskey15 »

WOW! :shock: I can't wait to see it!
But two?? That is.... radical!
I hope it's good, and, hopefully, lego will make sets of them.

-Muskey
~His Lowness Seamus O'Callaghan of Lenfald~

"You call this archaeology?"

Lenfels ASSEMBLE!