Medieval Castles

Discussion of topics concerning life in the middle ages around the world, including architecture, history, and warfare.
Heir of Black Falcon
Justiciar

Medieval Castles

Post by Heir of Black Falcon »

For those castle builders out there I wanted to put something up for you you may like to check out. I read it back in 2001 or 2002. This book includes tons of pictures and drawings with floor plans which helps with building for sure. It also includes a fair deal of the small castles, (which likely out numbered the big ones BTW), making it easier with those with smaller numbers of bricks to get some good inspiration for new ideas and MOCs.

http://www.amazon.com/Medieval-Fortress ... 1580970621

cheers,

Randall
melonkernel
Apprentice

It looks good

Post by melonkernel »

This looks very interresting,
i took a look at the Preview, page 26 about the tower placement in the wall was interesting.

Also, i the different castles on page 24 was interesting, i already got some ideas from the tour solidor and La tour Philippe le Bel.
Heir of Black Falcon
Justiciar

Post by Heir of Black Falcon »

It really is a good book. Page 26 shows a standard 'types' of tower and why they were built that way. It is a fantastic book for getting to understand the why of castles and fortifications. Once you understand why they did something it allows you to modify them to the same end and not have glaring weaknesses.

I have seen both those fortifications before. I love the look of the front of Solidor tower very much and Philip the Handsome's tower is interesting in the aysemetry it displays. Maybe I should post some pictures of castles and other fortifications for ideas. A great part of my day job involved studying castles and fortifications so I have amassed a great number of pictures.

Glad you liked it. It is also noce because the price has come down alot. When I first saw it it was three or four times what it is now. The only good thing about time I guess.

Randall
Bandit
Laborer

Post by Bandit »

That book looks interesting. It would be cool to build that tower they pictured in the preview!
Question: Why do we drive in PARKways and park in DRIVEways?