Real Cathedrals

Discussion of topics concerning life in the middle ages around the world, including architecture, history, and warfare.
footsteps
Tastes good with ketchup

Real Cathedrals

Post by footsteps »

Okay, this isn't about real castles, but it seems the right place to ask for help.

Does anyone have links to pictures of real cathedrals of the 11th and 12th centuries? I'd like my city's cathedral to evoke that time period.

Thanks,
Alan
I'm a human BEING, not a human doing!
The two most important days of your life are the day you are born
and the day you discover why. (Donald Sensing)
One plus one equals three... for large values of one. (Bruce Fournier)
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

Hi Alan,

I would just google cathedrals names for images. There are a wide variety of possible structures which vary on location. Some ideas could include Salisbury Cathedral or Lincoln Cathedral in England, St. Denis or Notre Dame (Paris) in France, Florence Cathedral, or even Byzantine churches like the Myrelaion in Constantinople (now Istanbul). The web should have many good photos of all of these buildings.

Ben E.
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

Don't forget Cologne's cathedrals. I'm told there are seven, or something. At leadt one should come from your timeperiod. (Jojo will know if I'm wrong, I'm sure.) And don't forget Rome itself, the centre of medieval Christendom. (There was no St.Peter's as we know it, but don't overlook St John Lateran, which is ultimately of 4th century origin, so you might not be interested, but it was, and still is, the pope's cathedral as bishop of Rome.)
footsteps
Tastes good with ketchup

Post by footsteps »

Thanks guys for the help. I'll follow those leads.

Alan
I'm a human BEING, not a human doing!
The two most important days of your life are the day you are born
and the day you discover why. (Donald Sensing)
One plus one equals three... for large values of one. (Bruce Fournier)