Bows part 2

Discussion of topics concerning life in the middle ages around the world, including architecture, history, and warfare.

what is your favorite bow

British longbow
77%
recurve
8%
Japanese longbow
12%
crossbow
4%

Total votes: 26

LONGBOW
Peasant

Bows part 2

Post by LONGBOW »

British longbow for me more practical
ham jam spamalot
Robin Hood
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Robin Hood »

Patience, patience, well I can't say because I haven't the foggiest what the differences are. Perhaps you should post pictures to add a little detail and info.
I build, therefore I am.

Brave words coming from a guy called grapenuts.
Daimyo
Squire

Post by Daimyo »

Japanese Longbow 8) . If you've watched Last Samurai, you know what it can do. Plus, I like the look of it better than and English bow. I like crossbows, but since you forgot to add the pop-culture-graphic-novel-stylish crossbow, I went with the longbow.
"Alright Kif, let's show these freaks what a bloated, runaway military budget can do"
TwoTonic Knight
TwoTonic of Many Colors

Post by TwoTonic Knight »

In what sense? The actual Lego pieces, real life (in which case this should be under Real Castles), or our perception of one upon the other?
Redwine the Ribald: Stare long enough into the abyss...
Two-Tonic Tippler: ...and you spit into it.

[img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/corsair/C ... ippler.jpg[/img]
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

In what sense? The actual Lego pieces, real life (in which case this should be under Real Castles), or our perception of one upon the other?
Two Tonic is correct. This topic does not belong in the LEGO Castle forum because it is not about set discussion. It seems to be a topic about actual weapons. There have been several posts about "castle" pieces which I tolerate but may be more appropriate in the LEGO General forum.

Ben E.
Sets Admin
CC Sets Admin
TwoTonic Knight
TwoTonic of Many Colors

He who hesitates is switched to a different forum. :D

To answer in the sense of which Lego part I prefer, it's the crossbow over the bow (however you want to define it) simply because the bow can't be posed satisfactorily.

From the modern world stand point, I can't answer because I've only shot a modern recurve, and that some time ago, and even then, target practice and having to depend on a bow in combat or for food are different things.

From the medieval standpoint, an english longbow if I'm on foot. On horseback, a handier recurve. Castle defense, a crossbow. I'm not really sure about the performance of Japanese longbow, but the unequal length of the arms is not something I'm convinced about - it's a design compromise so it can be used from horseback and I'd go with the recurve for that.

Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

Longbow: for the history, and the legendarium associated with it.

As far as the practical usage goes, i could care less.
LONGBOW
Peasant

Post by LONGBOW »

You can use a longbow on a horse if you put it sideways

and capabilities
recurve:long range medium power bad accuracy
british longbow 8) 8) :medium range humongous power fast arrow flight
japanese longbow: same as british one but can be easily shot from horse and has slower arrow flight
crossbow:bad range good power slow reload

Long string=fast arrow flight
Short string=long range
ham jam spamalot
TwoTonic Knight
TwoTonic of Many Colors

LONGBOW wrote:You can use a longbow on a horse if you put it sideways
Inasmuch as the english never fought that way (and their archers generally had mounts for much of the 100 years war), and the Japanese were willing to use a method that compromises the bow on foot, it (sideways) would seem a less than optimal way to use a longbow, at least in warfare. There is a vast gulf between what you can technically do, and what you can realistically do.

LONGBOW
Peasant

Post by LONGBOW »

Hello I'm back
why is there any reason in the whole world anyone would use a crossbow
Longbow on a horse is what my people use
ham jam spamalot
JPinoy
Knight Bannerett

Post by JPinoy »

I remember reading something about Chinese Mounted Crossbowmen.
Peoples_General, master of the vast LEGO armies!
[url]http://www.bricklink.com/aboutMe.asp?u=Peoples_General[/url]
Behold! The mighty armies of my ORIGIN theme!
[url]http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.c ... lesGeneral[/url]
Daimyo
Squire

Post by Daimyo »

JPinoy wrote:I remember reading something about Chinese Mounted Crossbowmen.
I'm sure about every medieval culture had at least some aspect of a mounted archer... however, others perfected it sooner than others. As you know, the English aren't renowned for their spectacular horse archers, that belongs to nomadic peoples who perfected the art of both archery and horsemanship. The Teutons aren't famous for their excellent crossbowmen; That honor belongs to the Genovese. I believe that archery, nay, all tactics, differ depending on lifestyle or environment.
"Alright Kif, let's show these freaks what a bloated, runaway military budget can do"
LONGBOW
Peasant

Post by LONGBOW »

My custom faction has great longbow users on horses

Here is a description:
They have big horses and their people are highly trained small elite armies. They use British Longbows and Mongol Recurves. Their religion is very similar to christianity. Their navy is exceptionally good,incorporating things in. There are many groups of them from around the world. They are like the klingons about warrior honor(and no dissing star trek on this board or you'll answer to me)and they are very strong because they have 4 lungs and 2-10 chambered hearts. They are very smart. They are trying to conquer the world and convert everyone. They are unsexist and enviromentally concsious.Their army has a force of 100 called Ainunorian Knights,each one able to take down a whole army. Their food is like asian food and each tribe has their own recipes. They are sort of like a sub-species of humans. Their are 4 types of them one whose color is green and can climb good,one whose color is blue and can swim good,one whose color is red and is really strong,one whose color is yellow and can dig good and is smart. I'm still writing the first book of their conquests.
ham jam spamalot
LONGBOW
Peasant

Post by LONGBOW »

Yes that last post was very off-topic
ham jam spamalot
The Josh
Apprentice

Post by The Josh »

I like the longbow the best. I feel that it has an adventurous and medieval pedigree in stories and in my mind.

-The Josh