Robin Hood: A Prince Among Thieves?

Discussion of topics concerning life in the middle ages around the world, including architecture, history, and warfare.
RichardAM
Merchant

Robin Hood: A Prince Among Thieves?

Post by RichardAM »

I thought this might be an interested read/listen to some of you here; a piece that reconsiders the legend of Robin Hood and seeks to unearth the truth behind the man. Through my own studies i've learn that history can often be distorted over time, so it's entirely possible there may be an argument for the possibly romanticised story of Robin Hood as well.
...Academics even argue whether Robin Hood was one man or a variety of outlaws who lived at the same time.

The one truth that appeared to remain constant throughout the stories, was that he was revered by all those who were honest, truthful and good.

Well, not quite.

It seems as though the romantic, generous figure of Robin Hood is nothing more than wishful thinking.

Medievalist Professor Julian Luxford says Robin Hood was not necessarily noble-minded. "Robin did have these causes that he fought for," he says, "but I'm not sure if they're establishment or anti-establishment."
More here.
Username
Councilor

Re: Robin Hood: A Prince Among Thieves?

Post by Username »

I just read an article the other day about how a monk from the 1300s wrote that Robin Hood and his men were like thugs and hated by everyone.
Username
Councilor

Post by Username »

Robin Hood
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Robin Hood »

Lies, all lies.

Pure and simple.

Everyone around here knows me to a be good fellow. Who never did anything to harm anyone. I.....I am hurt by such tales. Truely and deeply hurt. Such false and slanderous tales. Why I have never, ever, ever.....ever, stole something that was not for the good of the people. Burn this!

Dan :wink:

*cough* I just take a slight, ever so slight portion for myself, just to cover expenses. *cough*
I build, therefore I am.

Brave words coming from a guy called grapenuts.
Heir of Black Falcon
Justiciar

Post by Heir of Black Falcon »

I think that is a long stretch saying they were thugs and everyone hated them from that article. I have emailed a few people to see if the full quote from the MS cannot shed more light on this but think that assessment on the info given is off some.

Clearly some clergy would not view Robin Hood as good even if not 'corrupt' as stealing in any form could/should be looked at as wrong. Communities and religious houses clash at times as communities and communities and religious houses with other houses. People are people no matter their status or walk of life, some have a propensity toward good or bad perhaps but such is life. All this article shows is that this monk disliked Robin Hood. Full stop. Any further info is pure speculation. If you look at the earliest tales of Robin I am familiar with (which are medieval) he robs plenty of monks to warrant such a comment by one.

I think robin existed in some form. Maybe one man, maybe a collection of a few. Not sure if it is like the Dread Pirate Roberts but something along those lines maybe....

Heir
There ain't nothin' girlie about a tunic...
King of the West
emoticon patrol

Post by King of the West »

No offense, but I'd believe a drunken guy on the street before Fox News. They make up all kinds of stuff. :lol:
I am the Ruler of The Western Lands. All shall bow before me!
BrianofBrick06
Foot Soldier

Post by BrianofBrick06 »

I think I am sort of on the same page as the King of the West. I am not really sure why Fox news is even reporting on a historical "hero" from a different land (in general it just sounds a bit contrived for them to be reporting on such a topic). Although, despite being a bit skeptical, I am not in disbelief over the possibility of the historical figure being viewed in different lights. Interesting finds...

*in agreement with certain comments, I believe it is important to report on foreign or even historical topics, I just would not consider the news crew a legitimate source for the subject, just my opinion of course...
Last edited by BrianofBrick06 on Fri Mar 20, 2009 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Heir of Black Falcon
Justiciar

Post by Heir of Black Falcon »

I think them reporting on such things is perfectly acceptable and in fact important, people should not get just local or regional news, bad policy. Plenty of people in the US are interested in medieval history, many of them have roots there so why not. I do not think Fox makes up news much more or less than any of the other media places out there but that is not raising the bar much.... anyways back to Robin Hood.

As far as Robin Hood goes. There are actually several very good books on the history behind Robin. One article I read linked its increased popularity in the 14th and 15th to the rise in the importance of the non-noble longbowman in English armies. There are some who link Robin to the era when Prince Louis of France took over much of Southern England during King John's reign. This would be interesting as if Robin was fighting against the French Prince then that means he helped keep John on the throne, an ironic though compared to modern perceptions on Robin and John's relationship. We know that archers helped ambush French supplies during these fights.... just another possible avenue to look at.

Heir
There ain't nothin' girlie about a tunic...
mrkovach
Apprentice

Post by mrkovach »

Gasps!
Did he not save the King during the Crusades??? :eyebrows:
That has to amount to something, say, a pardon at least??
^You should be more concerned with what's written above^
Gijs25
Villein

Post by Gijs25 »

I think that if he (or the group of outlaws, just what he was) robbed from people, rich, pour or clergy, it would be logical if this monk hated him. Most monks would, especially when they lived among the people, and maybe tried to protect/help them.
Barbrickian
Freeman

Post by Barbrickian »

I just watched the Errol Flynn Robin Hood last night for the first time in many years. I choose to believe that 100% of that movie is true. The most accurate portrayal of the historical Robin Hood, gratuitous laughing :lol: , tights, and all.
JoshWedin
Chevalier de Chèvre

Post by JoshWedin »

Barbrickian wrote:The most accurate portrayal of the historical Robin Hood, gratuitous laughing :lol: , tights, and all.
I totally agree with you. I'm positive that Robin Hood laughed gratuitiously all the time. Its common in outlaws. I read that somewhere.

Josh
AFOL and his money are easily parted.

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/ak_brickster/8 ... hotostream][img]http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8252/85336074 ... 2a10_t.jpg[/img][/url] [url=http://www.Brothers-Brick.com]The Brothers Brick[/url]
Ye Olde Republic
Marquis of Brique

Post by Ye Olde Republic »

I always though Kevin Costner's version was widely regarded as the most accurate portrayal?
Trevor

Trust me, I think I'm funnier than you do.
Why do I have to add the word "minifig" to my spell checker every time I use it?!

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/old_republic/]flickr[/url]
[url=http://angrylegonerd.blogspot.com/]My blog[/url]