Authentic LEGO Joust

Discussion of topics concerning life in the middle ages around the world, including architecture, history, and warfare.
Commander Redbeard
Bailiff

Authentic LEGO Joust

Post by Commander Redbeard »

Ok, I've got all the reasearch done, historical armor and weapons, check, historical location check... the only thing I need to know is how jousts were carried out, the rules and such. I know that there were defending champions and challangers and all that, but how is it structured? Do you just keep pairing up knights until only one is left? If anyone out there knows any of the rules, please drop a post. Thanks.
Sitting in a midnight glade
Firelight dancing off burnished blade
A Forestman sits
Wondering about the next day
But after three mugs of ale
Let it bring what it may.
rogue27
Admin
Admin

Post by rogue27 »

I recently read A Game of Thrones by George RR Martin, and the book contained a tournament. Since George RR Martin does a lot of historical research before writing, I would assume that what the book described is at least one way a jousting tournament can be done.

It is single elimination. That means two knights are randomly paired and they joust. The loser is out of the tournament, the winner goes to the next round. Repeat until only 1 knight remains.

Other details:

The joust is done with special wooden lances that are designed to break on impact. This way injuries are kept to a minimum.

You want to knock your opponent off of his horse. If the knights clash and neither of them falls from their horse, they are handed another lance by a squire and they try again. If they do this too many times, the king may get bored and declare a winner based on who seemed to be staying more stable in their saddles.

If it is a large tournament, the last few rounds of jousting may be done the next day. (for example, the top four knights or something)

After the day's events are done, there would be a feast under a great tent / pavilion. Each knight will set up his own tent or pavilion and hand a shield bearing his coat of arms outside so people know who is inside. This is where they will often be between jousts and whatnot.

There may also be other events, such an archery contest and a grand melee at a tournament that take place apart from the joust (which is likely to be the main event). The grand melee will be fought with non-sharpened swords to reduce the injuries and deaths that may occur, but it is still a dangerous event. I'm not too sure how the grand melee works, but a bunch of people get into a big free-for-all battle and people are eliminated. I don't know if there are judges who determine when somebody is disqualified, or if the combatants leave after being dealt a solid blow, or what.

Anyway, I hope that helps. Also, that book I mentioned is worth reading. It's a great story and the medieval setting provides lots of inspiration for Lego building.
[url=http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=rogue]Bricklink Store[/url] - [url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=rjcarello]Brickshelf Gallery[/url]
Magnus
Artisan

Jousts

Post by Magnus »

It is important to remember that there would have been very different rules in different countries and different times.
Asking how jousts in te Middle Ages worked woudl eba bit like asking what the rules are "for team sports in Europe in the 20th century". And probably may jousts would have involved different sorts of contests.

I've read a fair amount about medieval life and I get the impression that a very common jousting practise would pit two knights against one another. If both broke their lances they would either continue to fight form horseback with swords, or perhaps try again with new lances.

Tournaments woudl also pit groups of knights against one another either on horse of on foot, in large mock-battles.

These were very dangerous affairs. Despite using blunted weapons, the risk to life and limb was ever present. Some countries even banned tournaments for short periods because so many knights had died in them.
rogue27
Admin
Admin

Re: Jousts

Post by rogue27 »

Magnus wrote:It is important to remember that there would have been very different rules in different countries and different times.
Yup, that's why I said, "one way a jousting tournament can be done"

I have also read in many places that it is considered dishonorable to hit your opponent's horse with your lance during a joust, and I believe you are declared the loser of that joust if you do so. Of course, rules can vary from event to event.

And yeah, tournaments are dangerous. Regardless of how breakable or blunted the weapons might be, people would get hurt or die in the events. How much people get hurt or killed probably has a lot to do with the rules of the event.
[url=http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=rogue]Bricklink Store[/url] - [url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=rjcarello]Brickshelf Gallery[/url]
Commander Redbeard
Bailiff

Post by Commander Redbeard »

Thanks a lot, Rogue, I'll ty that book.
Sitting in a midnight glade
Firelight dancing off burnished blade
A Forestman sits
Wondering about the next day
But after three mugs of ale
Let it bring what it may.
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

This is a very interesting subject but it belongs in the real castle forum. So I will move it there :wink:

Ben E.
Sets Admin
jamitjames
Gentleman

Post by jamitjames »

Yes, I like it alot and will use this info :) Thanks!
[url=http://radio.laml.org/]LAMLradio: LEGO Talk Podcast[/url]
wlister
Sheriff

Post by wlister »

There was a lot of Jousting in the otherwise tiresome "A Knight's Tale" movie 2001. Parts of the movie were rather inaccurate and the modernizing of some parts of the movie didn't fit well with the rest, but you do get some great jousting scenes and learn a little bit more about Knightly tournaments. Not a bad resource if you can spare the time.

Will
After a long absence, I have returned. I can't wait to start building again.