UNESCO World Heritage Centre

Discussion of topics concerning life in the middle ages around the world, including architecture, history, and warfare.
Bruce N H
Precentor of the Scriptorium

UNESCO World Heritage Centre

Post by Bruce N H »

Hi all,

In relation to an official display by TLC in Japan (see my other post), Manfred Moolhuysen found this page for the UNESCO World Heritage List, with information on hundreds of cultural sites (castles, temples, archaeological finds, ancient monuments, etc) around the world.
http://whc.unesco.org/pg.cfm?cid=31
This could be a great resource for building ideas.

Bruce
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

:shock: :o :shock: :o

Wow! That's an impressive list. (And five of them are found at least partially in Alberta! :wink: )

Pity that none of the Canadian ones are famous type buildings. I guess we go in more for the wonders of nature.

Wish I had enough spare pieces kicking around to try one of these.

(PS. Thanks for highlighting this link, Bruce. I'm sure it'd be easy enough to find using Google, etc., but how many Lego builders think to look for UNESCO lists before finding an inspiration?)
Sir Terrance
Councilor

Post by Sir Terrance »

Yes, a very big list it is. If only I had the pieces...
Check out my Brickshelf gallery here:
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=thebrickbin
Legomaat
Laborer

Post by Legomaat »

A very inspiring list it is. Even some Dutch examples are mentioned :D
But it is a bigger problem to get the right drawings, floor plans, sections, dimensions, etc., or enough pictures to build it more or less historically correct.
(Not to mention of getting enough pieces, time, and space for actually building it, of course) 8)
"Too low they build, who build beneath the stars".

Edward Young / Night Thoughts.
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

Legomaat wrote:A very inspiring list it is. Even some Dutch examples are mentioned :D
But it is a bigger problem to get the right drawings, floor plans, sections, dimensions, etc., or enough pictures to build it more or less historically correct.
(Not to mention of getting enough pieces, time, and space for actually building it, of course) 8)
True, but at least this gives you an idea of what's out there (and a lot is). If you found something that you really wanted, I'm sure you could find more specs (on any of these places anyway), without straying too far from your search engine.