Re-enactment groups

Discussion of topics concerning life in the middle ages around the world, including architecture, history, and warfare.
Baned
Foot Soldier

Re-enactment groups

Post by Baned »

Just curious, are any other C-C members into any medieval/renaissance re-enacting groups? Maybe part of your local Renaissance Faire or a member of the SCA, or some other group?

I myself belong to the SCA (Society for Creative Anachronism, http://www.sca.org ) and I absolutely love it. Growing up, I always had an interest in medieval history, that's why so many of the Lego sets in my collection are of the castle and pirate (and later, viking) lines.

I'll delve into more details if asked.
Peeron contributions: 577 (Viking Chess), 7009, 7654, 7655, 7695, 7771, 8813, 8821, and 8822.

[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=MaccyG]My Brickshelf Gallery[/url]
legokilt
Bailiff

Re: Re-enactment groups

Post by legokilt »

I did SCA for a number of years, but couldn't stand the historical inaccuracies (just me personally). As such I have done Seven Years Revolutionary Wars reenacting for almost 20 years. Great fun and great way to show off one's love of history.
Lego helps make history fun!
Tedward
Squire

Re: Re-enactment groups

Post by Tedward »

I met my wife in the SCA when I started University. I fought and was a local officer (Castellan, Senechal) and helped start a new group. We even had a small Roman Legion going as well for a couple of years (barely tolerated by the SCA establishment who thought nothing of faeries, vampires, Samurai, T'ang Dynasty Chinese and Roman-era "Celts"). Eventually I helped form a more authentic group that focused on living history.

When our first child was born we pulled back from all reenactment and have been back only occasionally since then. We keep assuming we will go to the SCA again. I have a round pavilion that we have yet to actually camp in. I went to the Maryland Renaissance Festival once years ago and loved it. We may try to go to those in the future with the family as "Faires" seem more honest about their mission and authenticity.

Oddly I am just reading a book I got for Christmas called "I Believe in Yesterday: A 2000 year tour through the filth and fury of living history" by Tim Moore. This English travel writer tried living history in time periods from 25 ad through the US Civil War. I just finished the first chapter on his "travels" to the Bronze Age. It's pretty funny and I already see characters I met while doing SCA. Not actual people, just the stereotypes that probably appear in lots of different groups.