Where did dragons come from?

Discussion of topics concerning life in the middle ages around the world, including architecture, history, and warfare.
Bluesecrets
High Priestess of the Vermillion Order

Re: Where did dragons come from?

Post by Bluesecrets »

By studying paleontological finds and considering the laws of physics? It's not like we have a lot of photographs of the dinosaurs either.
Great idea. I wasn't saying we couldn't study them. I suggest studying anything possible to discover what we can. Has discovery or history channel done a show on dragons yet?

Well this guy on History Channel has some opinions:

http://www.history.com/video.do?name=mo ... 1859705185
BrickshelfFlickr

Queen of Tan

Any building, is good building. Build for the fun of it!
wobnam
Master Liliputian
Master Liliputian

Post by wobnam »

Uhm, well, yes, but there are no paleontological finds that support the theory that dragons have ever existed, and most of the elements that separate dragons from lizards range from physically unlikely to impossible. Thus, it is extremely unlikely they have ever existed.
Bluesecrets

Post by Bluesecrets »

Well, maybe you are right. I did cite two current large lizards that could be considered dragons. And the link I did provide is talking about the same. But, isn't it sometimes more fun to try and prove that something like dragons could exist? Myths and legends exist for a reason, mostly for us to learn from, but sometimes...a little mystery and belief just really makes life more interesting.

Here is another link:

http://www.allaboutcreation.org/dragon-history.htm
BrickshelfFlickr

Queen of Tan

wobnam
Master Liliputian
Master Liliputian

Post by wobnam »

I couldn't open the Monsterquest link, but as far as I know that show belongs to a group of quasi-scientific programs that has gotten a lot of criticism. From the description, this episode actually sounds like one of the more serious ones: "an investigation into reports that an even bigger lizard, the supposedly extinct Megalania, may still lurk in Australia's Blue Mountains region". The Megalania was a large lizard that went extinct about 42 000 years ago - an actual, documented historical creature - but not a dragon.

Sure, there are creatures both prehistoric and alive today that can remind us of dragons, like some dinosaurs and lizards. But were we talking about lizards? If so, I do think lizards are real.
Bluesecrets

Post by Bluesecrets »

Sure, there are creatures both prehistoric and alive today that can remind us of dragons, like some dinosaurs and lizards. But were we talking about lizards? If so, I do think lizards are real
I think that because these big lizards exist that I'm willing to take a risk and belief that dragons could. They could easily have been big monitor lizards. I just am finding this an interesting topic to discuss tonight. I don't think people in the medieval times actually knew the classifications for large monitor lizards, so maybe they were. Maybe they weren't. But why couldn't they think that they were dragons?
BrickshelfFlickr

Queen of Tan

wobnam
Master Liliputian
Master Liliputian

Post by wobnam »

If you mean people have seen lizards and thought "oh my, it's a dragon!" then yes, I'm sure that has happened.
Bluesecrets

Post by Bluesecrets »

Sure I mean that. But the regular person in medieval times were not very educated. I don't think they would really have the knowledge to know if a lizard was a lizard, let alone if it was a dragon. So I think it is entirely possible that they might think a lizard was a dragon, especially if it was really really really huge. I mean they call komodo dragons, dragons. I don't know that they are actually a dragon, but they are rather darn nifty, cool, and wickedly interesting. I'm not so sure I'd want to meet one in real life though.
BrickshelfFlickr

Queen of Tan

wobnam
Master Liliputian
Master Liliputian

Post by wobnam »

But the lizards-thought-to-be-dragons were still in fact lizards, no matter what anyone though they were; I don't see what this has to do with dragons being real.
Bluesecrets

Post by Bluesecrets »

Well, even though they were thought to be dragons, they still existed. So, if you twist it just right, you could say dragons existed...by misidentification. My point is, we don't know if in fact the dragons of that time were dragons or really big lizards. If they were really big lizards, then they did exist.
BrickshelfFlickr

Queen of Tan

wobnam
Master Liliputian
Master Liliputian

Post by wobnam »

Unless you define "dragon" as a creature that has at least one of the scientifically undocumented traits or characteristics of the mythical dragon (like breathing fire or flying) this whole discussion is obviously irrelevant as, yes, lizards do exist.

If you accept this definition of the term "dragon", the "dragons of that time" were lizards, not dragons.

If I look over at my microwave oven right now, it kinda looks like a living zombie shoe is stuck inside, reading Shakespeare to pass time. That doesn't mean zombie shoes can read, "by misidentification".
Bluesecrets

Post by Bluesecrets »

Touche.

Breathing fire could have been a euphemism for really really vile stinky breath or poisonous saliva like the komodo has or even hot breath, but I don't think hot breath would apply since lizards are cold-blooded creatures. Some lizards do "fly" there is a current day lizard in Australia that has a flap of skin around its head that gives the appearance of flight.

I guess we are disagreeing on one point...what exists..and what could exist. Either way...its a good discussion.
BrickshelfFlickr

Queen of Tan

plums_deify
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by plums_deify »

Pffff.

Chimeras are better than dragons anyway.
Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Be Smart. Be evil.

Sister Brick @ [url=http://www.brothers-brick.com]The Brothers Brick[/url]!
wobnam
Master Liliputian
Master Liliputian

Post by wobnam »

There are several gliding lizards, not just in Australia, but a 10 inch gliding reptile with bad breath is no dragon.
plums_deify
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by plums_deify »

Just admit it, Wob.

Dragons evolved, got smart, moved to the Scandinavian countries, and now post on forums trying to disprove their existence.

Pretty smart tactic.
Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Be Smart. Be evil.

Sister Brick @ [url=http://www.brothers-brick.com]The Brothers Brick[/url]!
Bluesecrets

Post by Bluesecrets »

Well, if you are short, like some people...it could be really really really scary enough to be considered a dragon. Is it a dragon? I don't know. It might be to me. I'm not so sure I want a 10 inch lizard that glides and has horrible breath near me. I'd fight it back!

It is like debating whether or not the Lock Ness monster, or BigFoot exists. Fun, interesting, and we could go on forever. I like to think dragons existed and still could today. Maybe one day I'll come up with some empirical evidence so you will believe me.
BrickshelfFlickr

Queen of Tan