Robin Hood Movie

Discussion of topics concerning life in the middle ages around the world, including architecture, history, and warfare.
Maedhros
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Re: Robin Hood Movie

Post by Maedhros »

Heir of Black Falcon wrote:I had a hard time with the magna carta and robin hood connection as well...
I didn't, found it quite an interesting twist actually. It wasn't the Magna Charta after all, since John destroyed it, but a fictional fore-runner that was much more radical. The real Magna Charta as a weak compromise some years later makes some sense, at least it makes a decent story. Then again all that talk about the right to defend one's home and property smelled a bit too much of American conservatism to feel very authentic but that's another story ;)
"Hinc satis elucet maiorem habere uim ad discenda ista liberam curiositatem quam meticulosam necessitatem.”
- Augustinus Hipponensis
Tower of Iron Will
Master

Post by Tower of Iron Will »

I think this movie needs a sequel; I wasn't expecting the focus of the film to be on the beginning of Robin Hood. That said I'll wait until I have watched this over and over a few times before giving a final judgement. I did like the movie and am sure that it will grow on me in time. Perhaps I didn't hear that it was going to be a "beginning" movie and just assumed it would focus on the main part of Robin's life.

I thought that the Magna Charta sub-plot was an interesting twist. I didn't pick up on the "conservative" vibe intially but after thinking about it a bit, hmmm... :? Wierd that people had to pay for wars/Crusades back then whether they wanted to or not, just like modern times. :raiseone:
-Tower
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely!

Despise learning and make everyone pay for your ignorance.

The water that floats a ship is the same that sinks it.

My LEGO figures keep me from being evil, drat!!
Robin Hood
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Robin Hood »

If they had given the movie a different name, it would have been very good. While it was a fairly decent flick...it really lacked anything to do with me (Robin Hood that is). Pity.

Oh, and Russel Crowe....not the best rendition of me. Not by a long shot.

Dan :wink:
I build, therefore I am.

Brave words coming from a guy called grapenuts.
J_MAN
Gong Farmer
Gong Farmer

Post by J_MAN »

I really liked the new Robin Hood movie. I've never seen the 30's version, but Kevin Costner was also a good Robin Hood.