Cape questions.

Discussion of topics concerning life in the middle ages around the world, including architecture, history, and warfare.
Vycoul22
Villein

Cape questions.

Post by Vycoul22 »

Hello fellow C-C members! As the subject title suggests I have a few questions about capes. What were they for? I've always thought that maybe they were for sleeping on...(so the warriors wouldn't have to take there armor off?) I'm probably wrong but if that is what they were for I would think that they wouldn't be so exalted in our culture. But I guess weirder things have happened. So how far off am I? :D
Light travels faster than sound, which is why some people may appear bright until they open their mouths.
Thoriun
Laborer

Re: Cape questions.

Post by Thoriun »

In medieval times the use of a cape was the same as today. to protect the armor (when the knights uses it) it was normal to wear it on a dayly use to shelter them from cold and rain, since knights didin't always were armor.

Thoriun
Thoriun... No words are enough to express how i feel

Silvery, often with black tarnish

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=Thoriun
DNL
Master Builder
Master Builder

Post by DNL »

Capes were probably only used for ceremonies and other such things, while cloaks were used often as a normal piece of clothing. It protected against the elements, like a coat, but was far easier and cheaper to make than a coat because it consists of just one piece of cloth, and it protects the whole body, unlike a cape or coat.
KuvarBlodøks
Freeman

Post by KuvarBlodøks »

Coat by day, blanket by night. Take it off before battle because someone is going to grab it. A fancy cape is a symbol of status, but ultimately serves the same purpose a rough woolen cloak.
Frank_Lloyd_Knight
Steward

Post by Frank_Lloyd_Knight »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:KHM_W ... ibulae.jpg
I'm not sure I have a good answer to your question -- I always just assumed that capes/cloaks were just a general cover-all protection from the weather. I did want to remark that one of the more noticeable pieces of ornamentation a person might have carried in old times would have been the brooch with which they fastened their cloaks.
Vycoul22
Villein

Post by Vycoul22 »

Thanks so much everyone! So it wasn't worn in battle. I'll have to remember that if i ever make a battlefield moc.
Light travels faster than sound, which is why some people may appear bright until they open their mouths.
TheFlarbar
Gong Farmer

Post by TheFlarbar »

Vycoul22 wrote:Thanks so much everyone! So it wasn't worn in battle. I'll have to remember that if i ever make a battlefield moc.
*removing capes from my minifig army* Capes are stupid, anyway. :mad: